Forums > Photography Talk > Any photographers over age 40 in here?

Photographer

StevesphotographyUK

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm 42 .. OK, my Principal Photography up until maybe Last Year was (and maybe still is) Military Aviation, I've always been snapping away at People doing Portraits, Business Shoots & Family Events..
Over Time, nope, I still find the Whole Package as interesting as ever.

Feb 18 20 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Charles Howse

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Over 40? Yep, that was 35 years ago. Still appreciate beauty in all its’ forms, especially female, faces ncluded. My recent change in outlook includes reverting to b/w film which I process at home and scan to digital realm.. and from reading many if the responses on this thread, realize I’m not the oldest here.

Feb 21 20 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Exposure On Whyte

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I’m over forty by 7 years.  I’d prefer to shoot an older subject, they show up with ideas and confidence lol.  Age comes with experiences and confidence which can make for a great shoot.  A lot of 40+ beauties out there!  Age is just a number and it’s all about the mind.  Sadly I haven’t had the luxury to shoot someone of “this” age group but I can imagine it would be great. 
Just wanted to add my opinion.

Feb 25 20 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Christina L Hughes

Springfield, Missouri, US

54 lol and still kicking.

Mar 01 20 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

I turn 45 at the end of next month.

Mar 01 20 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
How does the human form change in the mind with age of the seer? I find faces don't illicit as much emotion in me anymore. I see lines and geometric shapes and proportions..... snip...... when we are older everything separates into as many parts as we can discover?

you almost sound like you are a little burned out...... maybe take a photo vacation...shoot something new and different.... I started shooting grandkids, and all of their friends about 10 years ago, what a difference that made for me.....
I am well past 40...not looking forward to the 70 mark, so I remember when things changed for me....  take a while,  shoot something new and different and the true passion will come back.... good luck

Mar 02 20 07:31 am Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

I'm 40 with nearly 11 years of experience.  I'm working on learning more about studio imaging rather than environmental imaging, and have long since left my wedding photography days behind.

Mar 28 20 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

I am well over 40 and shoot since I was 15. I feel I become more detail oriented and somewhat more romantic or nostalgic (can't find a better term) in doing what I do.

Mar 29 20 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

Ages of industry leaders:

Albert Watson 75, Howard Schatz 77, Patrick Demerchelier 77, Peter Lindberg 73,
Mario Testino 63, Annie Lebovitz 69.

So what's the point of the question?

Jul 29 20 03:36 am Link

Photographer

sovenamatya

London, England, United Kingdom

Yes, with my walking stick! smile

Aug 01 20 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Synergy Canada

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Definitely over 40 smile

Aug 03 20 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

65 and showing the mileage. Two Achilles surgeries in the last three years. Heart attack and four-way bypass last winter. Just got diagnosed with cataracts, so looking forward to lens-replacement surgery. Moving to a new state this month (it's been around for a while but it's new to me) and the MM model base is pretty thin there.

My ideas of beauty haven't changed much, but my appreciation for it has deepened. What has diminished is my tolerance for bullshit and unreliability leading up to the shoot.

Aug 04 20 04:57 am Link

Photographer

RMCREATIVE

Columbia, South Carolina, US

A reminder to anyone under 40. Helmet Newton well into his 80's. He shot for everything and everyone and did not care about public opinion! In fact he regarded questions like this as a " sickness " I'd have to agree, this photographer was
amazing and had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions. Age is nothing, consider it a fine wine if you ever get the pleasure!

Aug 06 20 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Is 40 the new 30? As in, don't trust anyone over 40?

Aug 07 20 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

My mother used to wear a T-shirt that said"Over the hill?  What hill?  I don't remember any hill."  I am there now.

Aug 10 20 10:32 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

< 80 and I'm still clicking!

Aug 11 20 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
How does the human form change in the mind with age of the seer? I find faces don't illicit as much emotion in me anymore. I see lines and geometric shapes and proportions. But I see less and less a sense of purpose, or real connection to the person. Just mechanics without emotional content. Maybe when we are young we see symbolically, but when we are older everything separates into as many parts as we can discover?

"illicit" means, in general, illegal.

Pretty sure you meant "elicit" - not the same thing :-)

Aug 13 20 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Orca Bay Images wrote:
65 and showing the mileage. Two Achilles surgeries in the last three years. Heart attack and four-way bypass last winter. Just got diagnosed with cataracts, so looking forward to lens-replacement surgery. Moving to a new state this month (it's been around for a while but it's new to me) and the MM model base is pretty thin there.

My ideas of beauty haven't changed much, but my appreciation for it has deepened. What has diminished is my tolerance for bullshit and unreliability leading up to the shoot.

Cataracts as an excuse for lens replacements - I must remember that one!

Aug 13 20 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:
Cataracts as an excuse for lens replacements - I must remember that one!

That is not an excuse!
It is necessary to replace the lens to see.

Aug 13 20 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

The most great photographers of all times are all dead.  So, the older the better? smile

Aug 30 20 09:33 pm Link