Forums > General Industry > Self Quarantine Then Shoot

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Yes tough and dangerous times when everybody you meet is suspect.
If either both you and a model have either been tested and are negative or you have both self quarantined for 14 days making both of you, again, negative, there would be nothing wrong with shooting together in your own studio. I would not use an others studio and I would not use public transport to a shoot or shoot in public. Should be fine to shoot.
John

Apr 02 20 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Its really best not to be meeting anybody during these times

Wait til the Health Experts tell us that the pandemic has passed

Apr 02 20 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
If either both you and a model have either been tested and are negative or you have both self quarantined for 14 days making both of you, again, negative, there would be nothing wrong with shooting together in your own studio. I would not use an others studio and I would not use public transport to a shoot or shoot in public. Should be fine to shoot.
John

Outdoors perhaps, where parties can keep what is reportedly a safe distance.

I'm also feeling opportunity to shoot now baron locations where under normal circumstance one could not.

def itching to shoot.

Apr 03 20 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The problem with a negative test result is that it is good for ten seconds. As soon as you go out and touch a gas pump, touch a hand railing, open a door knob, your negative result is no longer valid (you would need another test). What if that model visited other studios before yours? Is the model's test result still good?

Meeting up to shoot in a studio is a dangerous thing. Perhaps not for the photographer or the model, but those who come into contact with them or objects they handle, breath upon, etc.

Shooting outdoors? Same principles apply. Just less risk, not zero risk. How do you work the model release without getting six feet within the person or objects they touched?

Also, do you realize how many times during the shoot, the photographer will have to say, "Don't touch your face!"

You might be able to a shoot of a model rolling about a vat of hand sanitizer.

Personally, I'm not shooting this month. Not even with a 500mm plus a 2X with a cropped sensor.

Apr 03 20 08:28 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you look at how self quarantining effects the spread of the virus compared to casually isolating, you will see that the casual approach actually extends the risk considerably. Be smart and take responsibility for you health and those around you. I saw a great PSA by Samuel L Jackson the other day and would suggest that you watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrbxyna4z4

Apr 03 20 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Should be fine to shoot.
John

Dangerous Words ! !

Apr 03 20 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Eric212Grapher wrote:
The problem with a negative test result is that it is good for ten seconds. .

its not even good for that as it takes a few days for the test results to come back and one could become infected in the interim

Hoping they roll out those AYTU rapid tests soon

Apr 03 20 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

John

https://www.covidus.com/coronavirus/usa/

Look at it every day for a week. Imagine those are family members.

Now is not the time to engage in model photography.
There is PLENTY wrong with "shooting together in your own studio."
Very poor idea and a sociopathic indulgence at this point.
Please reconsider.

Apr 03 20 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

John

if you are pushing 60 or 70 plus - yeah, you should be concerned - regardless of testing. yeah, if you are 60+, it is best you wrap yourself in plastic and wait for the 'all clear'. the only other option is to live.

all persons are suspect - wrapped yourself in plastic, cower in place until you receive the 'all clear'. ALL PERSONS ARE SUSPECT - 'if you see something, say something'.

I repeat - if you are pushing 60 or 70 plus - yeah, you should be concerned! - COWER IN PLACE!.'

Apr 04 20 02:01 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

DCurtis wrote:
if you are pushing 60 or 70 plus - yeah, you should be concerned - regardless of testing. yeah, if you are 60+, it is best you wrap yourself in plastic and wait for the 'all clear'. the only other option is to live.

all persons are suspect - wrapped yourself in plastic, cower in place until you receive the 'all clear'. ALL PERSONS ARE SUSPECT - 'if you see something, say something'.

I repeat - if you are pushing 60 or 70 plus - yeah, you should be concerned! - COWER IN PLACE!.'

This is why the US far leads the world with Covid19 infections and will soon lead in deaths. Ignorance. And the virus’s is just lickin’ its chops for the main meal.

Apr 04 20 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

John

Probably safe enough from a health standpoint for you and the model at the shoot. But, that's not really considering the full picture, is it?

Could the pictures and story set an unfortunate example for others, those who may cut some corners with the quarantine or distance? Could such examples even come back and effect your own health if enough people continue to be lax with social distancing or shelter in place directives and requests?

Just some extra things to consider with your idea.

It's a group situation we're in, we all depend on each other's decisions, actions, and yes, even images and influence.

Apr 04 20 07:07 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

If either both you and a model have either been tested and are negative or you have both self quarantined for 14 days making both of you, again, negative, there would be nothing wrong with shooting together in your own studio.

A negative test simply means: in that moment the swab is made you do not excrete the virus.

Example: you got your swab made on Monday, 10 a.m. The laboratory tells you on Tuesday: you are "negative".

What does this mean: it means that you do not excrete the virus on Monday, 10 a.m.

It may happen that you got infected on Monday, 10:15 a.m. 15 minutes after you got the swab made.

Even if you put yourself under quarantine immediately after the swab is made this does not mean you could not get infected 1 minute after you leave your quarantine.

Apr 04 20 07:08 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Garry k wrote:
Its really best not to be meeting anybody during these times

Wait til the Health Experts tell us that the pandemic has passed

The pandemic has passed when ~ 70 percent of the population had been infected. At that point the population gets something what is called "herd immunity"
Because then every person is surrounded by so many immune people that even if one person is infected this person most probably do not encounter another person who could get infected...

Otherwise you have to wait for a vaccine. To vaccinate ~70 percent of the population has the same effect.

Apr 04 20 07:13 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

TomFRohwer wrote:
Wait til the Health Experts tell us that the pandemic has passed The pandemic has passed when ~ 70 percent of the population had been infected. At that point the population gets something what is called "herd immunity"

That's the theory but we don't know yet how strong that immunity is.

Apr 04 20 07:26 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Assume everyone and everything has the potential to infer as the quicker we curb this the sooner it will be history,
Stay at home and plan for the future, that would IMO contacting local models/photographers/etc for future shoots AFTER the threat is contained.

Apr 04 20 07:50 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

It is best to stay at home, follow all suggested behavior during this time.
We all want to get back to normal but for that to happen there has to be proof that infections have stopped spreading and those infected have have recovered and are no longer contagious. This will take time and the time line is uncertain. The closer people follow the self isolation and the other suggestions the faster we will be able to resume life as usual.
A shoot is simply not worth the risk no matter how safe one may see their situation. This is a time of sacrifice for the better good and not a time for selfishness. Be smart.

Apr 05 20 08:40 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

DCurtis wrote:

Do not listen to stupid statements like this. Do not underestimate the deranged who may find amusement in the illness of the masses; like a terrorist, this is a terrorist statement.

Apr 05 20 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

All meet ups have been cancelled. No one that I know of is taking chances. Its not even popular to show off your work unless its from the time before all this happen. I now wonder when its all going to clear. It sucks because by this time last year I was in full swing of things.

Apr 05 20 11:27 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Sorry guys, I've been really busy for a few days!
I'm not disagreeing with anyone but lets not be superstitious either. Negative is Negative. If you and a model have been a hermit in a cave in the hills, effectively, sheltering in place, for two weeks, Covid-19 is NOT gonna spontaneously generate itself either! If you are both negative, you are both negative.  It would be safer to shoot in a studio that's not had anyone in it than in the great outdoors where you have no control and anyone could have been where you are standing only a few minutes earlier.
I'm not advocating anyone go out and shoot but a photographer and a model that both know they've had no outside contacts and are currentl negative and not lying to each other about it, would be a safe shoot!!!
John

Apr 06 20 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

DCurtis wrote:

DC, My guess is everybody reading this is over 60! I hope they are all wrapping themselves in plastic and cowering as we speak!!! LoL

Hey DC, how long you been in SLP?
I was just through there in Sept. I visited relatives in Villa Juarez, near Cerritos, my father was from there!
John

Apr 06 20 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

TomFRohwer wrote:

The pandemic has passed when ~ 70 percent of the population had been infected. At that point the population gets something what is called "herd immunity"
Because then every person is surrounded by so many immune people that even if one person is infected this person most probably do not encounter another person who could get infected...

Otherwise you have to wait for a vaccine. To vaccinate ~70 percent of the population has the same effect.

Except of course with this Virus there are reports of people becoming reinfected

Apr 06 20 11:35 pm Link

Model

Agata Sz

Irvine, California, US

I am afraid we are gonna need to postpone a lot of shooting untill we find a medication that works (they are looking at zinc and chloroquine now) or untill we get vaccination. It is very dangerous to risk to be infected. It is the worst to get infected now as we are going through the peak - most infected and least available beds and supplies. Once they produce enough supplies it will be safer. Maybe in June or end of May we will be able to go out and have some outdoors photoshoots. For now, I am just using my phone and I am actually becoming very creative, I mean my Samsung S8+ does a good job in natural light to produce content that will keep at least instagram going. Gotta clean up the backyard a bit and I will have some nice scenery too haha I actually regret I have not tried it sooner smile

Also, some of you might have seen my other post. For now I keep myself occupied growing online business. No, you don't just get paid, you need to make sale, but government pays you to stay home so might as well use this time wisely smile I am dropping a link to those interested and you can hit me up on Insta with questions. A lot of models and photogrpahers found it interesting because it goes around what they do. No hate.
https://smo.ai/haivdy

Apr 08 20 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

John

Let's consider this scenario:

You've both were self isolating for 14 to 21 days and both are symptom free.

That DOES NOT mean that neither of you has the virus, as it seems that a vast majority that were infected never showed any symptoms and still developed anti-bodies to the virus.

So, you could be a carrier, you just don't know yet, until you are tested for the antibodies.

Now, the model you are going to shoot has been in isolation the same time as you and is also virus free.

However, she may have not been exposed to the virus and never developed any symptoms because she had no chance to get infected.

So, you both assume that you don't have the virus and it's safe to interact.

You are a immune carrier and she may not be immune and she could contract the virus from you and get sick... or not... or very ill and possibly die!

I would wait until medical professionals and scientists start to give more of a green light to get more to normal.

Infections will still happen, but the medical system won't be so overloaded and they will have more experience dealing with possible patients down the road.

Apr 09 20 01:56 am Link

Photographer

The LamarLine

Atlanta, Georgia, US

There is no expert in the matter who can give solid answers as to when this will end.......being an artist is being bold and doing what it takes to create the story that needs to be told. I am not saying ignore all that is taking place, just decide on your own what is best for you..........  Everyone take care of yourself and your loved ones....whatever that action looks like to you.

Apr 09 20 02:54 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

While I agree artists need to be bold they also need to be SMART.
when we ignore the guidelines we are not only putting ourselves at risk, a right we have, we also put others at risk and that is a right we do not have. We also have an obligation to society to not put others in danger.
The story can be told when the risks to other is a lot less.

Apr 09 20 07:34 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

LnN Studio wrote:
While I agree artists need to be bold they also need to be SMART.
when we ignore the guidelines we are not only putting ourselves at risk, a right we have, we also put others at risk and that is a right we do not have. We also have an obligation to society to not put others in danger.
The story can be told when the risks to other is a lot less.

EXACTLY!!!  borat

This would not be bravery of a daring artist pushing the envelope, that would be stupidity and carelessness of the perceived importance of an artist with an overinflated ego.

Apr 09 20 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

The LamarLine wrote:
There is no expert in the matter who can give solid answers as to when this will end.......being an artist is being bold and doing what it takes to create the story that needs to be told. I am not saying ignore all that is taking place, just decide on your own what is best for you..........  Everyone take care of yourself and your loved ones....whatever that action looks like to you.

When it comes to the point where there are zero new infections for at least a week - i would think the virus has run its course

Apr 09 20 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Perfect

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm not even taking self portraits during the quarantine.

Apr 09 20 10:34 am Link

Model

Agata Sz

Irvine, California, US

Perfect wrote:
I'm not even taking self portraits during the quarantine.

Why not? smile

Apr 09 20 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Agata Sz wrote:

Why not? smile

I can't speak for Perfect but I can speak for myself.
I am just not that pretty and somehow I look like a madman on camera, but not in a good way.

Much better to make images with the beautiful ones, like you.

But, not now. I am on haitus until this becomes tenable. It could be a long time.
Today I took photos of stuff I want to sell, boring. So it goes...

Apr 09 20 03:46 pm Link

Model

Agata Sz

Irvine, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I can't speak for Perfect but I can speak for myself.
I am just not that pretty and somehow I look like a madman on camera, but not in a good way.

Much better to make images with the beautiful ones, like you.

But, not now. I am on haitus until this becomes tenable. It could be a long time.
Today I took photos of stuff I want to sell, boring. So it goes...

Thank you, I asked Perfect.

Apr 09 20 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You know quarantining for 14 days when you’re sick doesn’t mean you then magically don’t have COVID right? Photoshoots should not be taking place right now, simple as that.

Apr 10 20 08:42 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Mark C Smith wrote:
You know quarantining for 14 days when you’re sick doesn’t mean you then magically don’t have COVID right? Photoshoots should not be taking place right now, simple as that.

Mark, I think we ALL know what that means.
The operative word here was NEGATIVE. I don't mean a false negative, I mean negative.
That means you don't have Covid or ever had Covid.
Yes it's possible to touch something that has been touched by someone that is a carrier has touched and left active Covid on it and then you get it on your hand or clothing and then infect someone else that you touch or touches you. The virus does live on different surfaces like steel, cardboard or paper for varying lengths of time from 5 days to hours to minutes, though there is still a lot of testing to do for this particular strain for life expectancy.
Also some areas are safer than others. I live in Solano County. We have, as of this afternoon, 29 active cases. Solano has a population of 1/2 million people.
And because there are 29 active cases I do NOT leave my home unless I an wearing my N-95 mask. I'll just assume all of you already do this too?
Again if two people are negative, there would be nothing wrong with shooting!
John

Apr 14 20 11:53 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I live in Solano County. We have, as of this afternoon, 29 active cases.

There are 29 cases that Solano County knows about.

It’s a sneaky, highly contagious virus and community testing is still very sparse if not nonexistent.

Apr 15 20 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Mark, I think we ALL know what that means.
The operative word here was NEGATIVE. I don't mean a false negative, I mean negative.
That means you don't have Covid or ever had Covid.
Yes it's possible to touch something that has been touched by someone that is a carrier has touched and left active Covid on it and then you get it on your hand or clothing and then infect someone else that you touch or touches you. The virus does live on different surfaces like steel, cardboard or paper for varying lengths of time from 5 days to hours to minutes, though there is still a lot of testing to do for this particular strain for life expectancy.
Also some areas are safer than others. I live in Solano County. We have, as of this afternoon, 29 active cases. Solano has a population of 1/2 million people.
And because there are 29 active cases I do NOT leave my home unless I an wearing my N-95 mask. I'll just assume all of you already do this too?
John

So then You are fine with the Model leaving her ( or his ) home wearing an 95 mask and continuing to wear it ?

Apr 15 20 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

John

True. When you can get 2 tests done at the site of the shoot and receive results from those tests on the spot, then you will know that both people ARE negative.
If they are.
If you have to wait a couple of days for test results all bets are off unless you have kept the other party in your sight for every minute of those couple of days.

If not, all bets are off.

If the studio is yours and you know that nobody has been inside for several days it is pretty safe to assume that there is no possibility of infection.

If the studio is not yours all bets are off.

I've never taken a single photo that I would risk anybody's life over. I never will.

Apr 15 20 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Let's not take any chances, there are many who walk around that are infected and don't show any symptoms at all.

Apr 15 20 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

PHP-Photography wrote:

That's the theory but we don't know yet how strong that immunity is.

Actually, we do know from the study of other communicable diseases.  "Herd immunity" to be effective in preventing epidemic levels of disease spread has to be over 70%.   That can be achieved by a large percentage of the "herd" either recovering from the infection and developing antibodies or from an effective vaccine with 70+ percent vaccinated. 

Sadly, the SARS-CoV-2 virus which causes the COVID-19 disease has already been shown by some studies to have mutated.  This reduces the probability of developing an effective vaccine.  The virus' mutations will probably stay ahead of the curve of development, study, approval necessary for deployment of a vaccine.

Apr 22 20 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

To Shoot or Not To Shoot?

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is highly contagious.  It is primarily spread from human to human by aerosol droplets.  Secondarily the virus can survive on hard surfaces for several days and is capable of being "self innoculated' by touching the residual virus and then innoculating mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) with your hands.  Hence the "frequent handwashing" part of the mitigation recommendations. 

That said, the virus doesn't have wings or legs.  Aerosol droplets from coughing or sneezing can spread 20' or more.  Droplets from ordinary breathing, talking are unlikely to spread more than the 6' of recommended distancing, and highly unlikely to spread from breathing or talking for more than 10'.  So, if you are able to maintain social distancing for 6'-10' it's unlikely that a photographer would acquire the infection from a model while shooting.  Travel to and from the location is another matter.  The probability of the photographer spreading the virus to a model can be further reduced by wearing a cloth mask or surgical mask or even a scarf or bandana covering his/her face (simply impedes volume of droplets introduced into the surrounding air). 

Another way to mitigate the chance of spreading the virus between photographer and model is to use long focal length lenses.  They are my routine anyway when I'm shooting in a large enough area because I simply don't like the distortion of perspective with short focal length lenses.  So, if you are limited to a confined studio space, then shooting might not be such a good idea.  But with common sense and following the guidelines for mitigation of the epidemic, total abstinence from shooting is not an absolute requirement for safety. 

This virus isn't going away in 6 months or 18 months.  The development of an effective vaccine is now much less likely since the virus has already been shown to have undergone several mutations.  A recent study shows that in one county in California, the "herd" infection rate may be much higher than expected at this stage of the epidemic.  It only included 3600 +/- people and only in one small location.   So, until that study is repeated on a larger scale and many locations, don't bet your health on it.  But, it's not necessary to live "in a bubble" either.  With careful attention to preventative measures, social distancing, etc, models and photographer don't need to totally abstain from their livelihood either.  *

* For the record, I'm a retired physician.  I practiced 15 years of my career "in the trenches" as an ER Doc; eight years as a Navy Doc, and the rest in civilian practice as a Board Certified Anesthesiologist.

Apr 22 20 03:22 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Light and Lens Studio wrote:

Actually, we do know from the study of other communicable diseases.

No, we don't know how long the immunity will last, 1 month, 6 months etc.

Apr 22 20 03:45 am Link