Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > the thing about having to wear a mask in public is

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

no one knows that underneath i'm rocking a Hugh Jackman Wolverine beard.
i wanted to try it. don't judge. tongue
X-Men stuff is on Disney+ now.

if you clicked this thread title hoping it was going to be political then take a chill pill, and learn to have some fun.

Sep 10 20 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

The cool thing about having to wear a mask in public is people notice my eyes more ☺️

Sep 10 20 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Never liked the mask thing but being stopped by someone asking for directions or pleading for help is too much of a risk. So now I wear one even outside.

Sep 11 20 07:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

I purchased several gory Joker style masks.  The looks and reactions in public are awesome!

Sep 12 20 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

The only complaint i have about the masks is that it's harder to get and give facial context when communicating.

Sep 12 20 08:07 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Lets see, it rides up under my eye lashes so I am always ajusting it. I wear a trifocal lens so my vision is always off but since my glasses are always fogging up  I can fake it that I can't see anything.  I am always ichy and god for bid I have to blow my nose.  The new ones I just got remind me of a girl whose tub top is always slipping and she is constantly pulling it up.  The masks are just a bit small and always seem to be sliding.  If I go back to the white cloth ones I can draw pictures and messages on them.  That was interesting!

Sep 12 20 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

rick lesser wrote:
Lets see, it rides up under my eye lashes so I am always ajusting it. I wear a trifocal lens so my vision is always off but since my glasses are always fogging up  I can fake it that I can't see anything.  I am always ichy and god for bid I have to blow my nose.  The new ones I just got remind me of a girl whose tub top is always slipping and she is constantly pulling it up.  The masks are just a bit small and always seem to be sliding.  If I go back to the white cloth ones I can draw pictures and messages on them.  That was interesting!

oh yeah - the fogging up of glasses! that is the most frustrating.

Sep 12 20 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

DCurtis wrote:

just goes to show you how not sealed it is.
make adjustments or get a different mask.

Sep 14 20 03:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

It is really hard to read lips.

Sep 14 20 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

Paolo D Photography wrote:

just goes to show you how not sealed it is.
make adjustments or get a different mask.

I only wear it in certain stores - the Oxxo, Chedraui, Super Cava. It's mostly a symbolic mask. It costed 10 pesos, I don't see any reason to spend more.

Sep 14 20 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
It is really hard to read lips.

just put some lipstick on the outside of your mask, or draw a mouth and encourage others to do the same

Sep 14 20 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Wonder how all those hospital workers manage wearing masks all day...doctors, nurses.

Sep 15 20 03:58 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

just put some lipstick on the outside of your mask, or draw a mouth and encourage others to do the same

Plug your ears up so that you loose about 80% of the sounds that most people hear and see if your solution helps you.   I am confident that the lipstick on the mask is not going to move in unison with a person's lips.

Sep 15 20 04:06 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

the thing about having to wear a mask in public is

... it is both financially and environmentally beneficial.

My disposable razor consumption is way down.

Sep 15 20 05:49 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

I think what I like best about the masks are their de-humanizing effects.

Sep 15 20 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I am confident that the lipstick on the mask is not going to move in unison with a person's lips.

'twas a joke
dont worry everyone will have a clear plastic bubble on their head soon. then you can read lips again.

this guy gets it:

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
... it is both financially and environmentally beneficial.

My disposable razor consumption is way down.

always a bright side!

DCurtis wrote:
I think what I like best about the masks are their de-humanizing effects.

thats ironic to me since I usually have to walk around in a humanizing mask.

Sep 16 20 01:42 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

'twas a joke
dont worry everyone will have a clear plastic bubble on their head soon. then you can read lips again.

I am aware that it was a joke for you and no hard feelings or anything, but it is a communication killer for me.  But, other people's safety is more important than my ability to "hear."

Sep 16 20 04:10 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

no one knows that underneath i'm rocking a Hugh Jackman Wolverine beard.
i wanted to try it. don't judge. tongue
X-Men stuff is on Disney+ now.

if you clicked this thread title hoping it was going to be political then take a chill pill, and learn to have some fun.

There IS a solution!
I've been toying with the idea of printing a pic of myself on some fabric or having it printed at the mall then making a mask of it using the area that is covered by a mask.
Would look kinda like you're not wearing one!!! LoL
John

Sep 17 20 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

rick lesser wrote:
and god for bid I have to blow my nose.

So what's the problem?
Just pinch where your nose is and BLOW!!!
Unless you have a mustache, should be fine for the rest of the day!!! LoL
John

Sep 17 20 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

DCurtis wrote:

no kidding - I fell down some stairs a month ago because my glasses were so fogged I couldn't see the last step...
I only hit the floor (like a sack of potatoes).. and surprisingly didn't break anything... but mang.. foggy glasses

Sep 18 20 10:30 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"dehumanizing" lol

No one's grabbed me or stopped me as I walked by on the street just to tell me "hey come on sweetie, how about a smile?" in half a year

If anything I am more humanized, not less. I get to go about my life in a fraction of more peace.

Sep 21 20 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Laura UnBound wrote:
"dehumanizing" lol

No one's grabbed me or stopped me as I walked by on the street just to tell me "hey come on sweetie, how about a smile?" in half a year

If anything I am more humanized, not less. I get to go about my life in a fraction of more peace.

for reals. i like the people giving space aspect....
but i want to ruin it for others so i think i'm going to start telling people they have a nice smile, or have something stuck in their teeth. when obviously i cant see their mouth. or if i want more space i can just make crazy eyes and yell at everyone to not stick their tongue out at me. i know what youre doing under there!
juuuuuust kidding.

Sep 21 20 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

I'd love to be convinced they do any good, these masks.
The small amount of research I did included a series of tests of the N95 grade masks that are mandated for situations which involve treating people with Covid-19.
Assuming the information was accurate the tests showed a fairly high degree of efficiency when those masks were properly fitted to seal gaps. When gaps associated with normal - ie, careless - fitting were simulated the efficiency dropped massively.
The N95 masks I bought have a rubber fringe to them to close off gaps as well as a  front vent to aid breathing.

A normal, unfitted cloth mask - a barrier mask, so called - that is being worn everywhere can have virtually no filtration efficiency. If you stand in a queue of people you can see each the gaps either side of each mask from behind, out of which exhaled air is streaming. If the person has Covid-19 then that air is passing directly to you to breath in. Add to that gaps al the way around then the air is going to be passing in and out almost unhindered. The more impenetrable the mask cloth, the more air is going to pass in and out of the gaps.

So the only way those masks can work, as far as I can see, is if someone coughs or sneezes, and that expulsion is trapped by the fabric. All normally exhaled air is full of moisture and that moisture will carry virus. It is that moisture content that causes your glasses to fog up.

This would be no worse than not wearing a mask if it were not for the observable fact that wearing the masks causes people to slacken off where social distancing is concerned. It may be different elsewhere int he world, but here virtually nobody is socially distancing.

So adding all that up it seems to me that the most probable outcome of caring these masks is to increase the transmission of Covid-19, not decrease it.

So I wear the mask, because I do not want the fines, or to be accosted by someone close to hysteria, but I have yet to be convinced they are in any way fit for their intended purpose.

Sep 25 20 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

The small amount of research I did included a series of tests of the N95 grade masks that are mandated for situations which involve treating people with Covid-19.
Assuming the information was accurate the tests showed a fairly high degree of efficiency when those masks were properly fitted to seal gaps. When gaps associated with normal - ie, careless - fitting were simulated the efficiency dropped massively.
The N95 masks I bought have a rubber fringe to them to close off gaps as well as a  front vent to aid breathing.

A normal, unfitted cloth mask - a barrier mask, so called - that is being worn everywhere can have virtually no filtration efficiency. If you stand in a queue of people you can see each the gaps either side of each mask from behind, out of which exhaled air is streaming. If the person has Covid-19 then that air is passing directly to you to breath in. Add to that gaps al the way around then the air is going to be passing in and out almost unhindered. The more impenetrable the mask cloth, the more air is going to pass in and out of the gaps.

So the only way those masks can work, as far as I can see, is if someone coughs or sneezes, and that expulsion is trapped by the fabric. All normally exhaled air is full of moisture and that moisture will carry virus. It is that moisture content that causes your glasses to fog up.

This would be no worse than not wearing a mask if it were not for the observable fact that wearing the masks causes people to slacken off where social distancing is concerned. It may be different elsewhere int he world, but here virtually nobody is socially distancing.

So adding all that up it seems to me that the most probable outcome of caring these masks is to increase the transmission of Covid-19, not decrease it.

So I wear the mask, because I do not want the fines, or to be accosted by someone close to hysteria, but I have yet to be convinced they are in any way fit for their intended purpose.

Sep 25 20 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Photographer

Outoffocus

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I had to go get a root canal.

Dentist went off about the masks as they used to cost him about 10 cents apiece and now they jumped up to $1.25 each and both come from China through his supplier.  Not to mention all the other garb they wear like the bio suits and gloves.  He really went off on China basically bombing the world with Covid and now profiting off the outcome.  He doesn't think the mask thing will go away soon and may be here for a couple of years - if not permanent like some burka wearing country.

Sep 25 20 09:08 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Amateur wrote:

[...]

LOL--- gotta love the forum software--- not a double, not a triple but a quadruple post. smile

In response to your post- You are correct, cloth masks are FAR from perfect barriers against the virus. There are many scenarios that they leak.

And the "vented" N95 masks , protect the --user-- from -inhaled- droplets and particles--- and do literally nothing to diminish the -exhaled- droplets and particles. They were never intended for use to diminish -exhaled- particles.

We dont have a vaccine, we dont have meds to mitigate the virus.... We ONLY have social distancing, good hygiene and the cloth masks for broad public use.

The cloth masks may leak--- but they also DO capture SOME of the viral particles in droplets etc etc--- in other words----- "something" is better than the "nothing" we KNOW we have without the masks...

The only "100%" protection is total isolation... everything else is a compromise... so we do what we can.

As for fines for not wearing them... IMHO, that is a sad comment on the state of society that people should even need -reminding- to wear a mask,  much less "enforcement".

Sep 25 20 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

apparently that person just replied based on the thread title without reading what the thread is about.
everyone can GTFO of here with that bullshit, dont start.
this thread isnt for politics and statistics.

back on actual topic:
my facial hair grew out enough now that i could trim it all one length and not have a wolverine beard anymore.
maybe next i'll try the "monkey tail" beard

Sep 25 20 11:23 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

apparently that person just replied based on the thread title without reading what the thread is about.
everyone can GTFO of here with that bullshit, dont start.
this thread isnt for politics and statistics.

back on actual topic:
my facial hair grew out enough now that i could trim it all one length and not have a wolverine beard anymore.
maybe next i'll try the "monkey tail" beard

sorry to disappoint you Paolo. You have been around long enough to know you have no control over what gets posted in "your" thread.

I understand the thread was supposed to be light-hearted, a break from the serious stuff. And I stayed out of the thread--- until something was posted as "fact" that has been disproved countless times.... People are dying because misinformation is being pushed out for gawd know what reasons...

Again sorry -- it is only appropriate to offer factual, correct information ---in the middle of a global pandemic.

edit to add:
and I would be HAPPY to see the thread return to whatever humor we can manage these days....

Sep 25 20 12:08 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

wrote:
I would be HAPPY to see the thread return to whatever humor we can manage these days....

Against my better judgement, I’ll toss one out:

Day 7 at home quarantine and the dog is looking at me like, "See? This is why I chew the furniture!"

Sep 25 20 02:00 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

rfordphotos wrote:
sorry to disappoint you Paolo. You have been around long enough to know you have no control over what gets posted in "your" thread.

I understand the thread was supposed to be light-hearted, a break from the serious stuff. And I stayed out of the thread--- until something was posted as "fact" that has been disproved countless times.... People are dying because misinformation is being pushed out for gawd know what reasons...

Again sorry -- it is only appropriate to offer factual, correct information ---in the middle of a global pandemic.

edit to add:
and I would be HAPPY to see the thread return to whatever humor we can manage these days....

Funny... Didn't you say in your Pandemic thread something to the effect.. anyone who didn't like what you were posting about should just not read it and move on?
Maybe you should just move on. I'd hate to see you and your nervous Nellie's get more worked up than you already are.

Sep 25 20 04:31 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I've noticed I can't chew gum and wear a mask at the same time.

Facts, bitches.

Sep 25 20 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

MoRina wrote:
Funny... Didn't you say in your Pandemic thread something to the effect.. anyone who didn't like what you were posting about should just not read it and move on?
Maybe you should just move on. I'd hate to see you and your nervous Nellie's get more worked up than you already are.

Yes, I did MoRina. The advice still stands. If you dont wish to read my posts, I just cant figure out why do you? I gave you a very simple solution---SKIP THEM.

I am not trying to stop you from posting----cant help but wonder why you feel you should stop me....

Guess you arent paying any more attention to Paolo's wishes than anyone else...

Sep 25 20 04:48 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

rfordphotos wrote:
Yes, I did MoRina. The advice still stands. If you dont wish to read my posts, I just cant figure out why do you? I gave you a very simple solution---SKIP THEM.

I am not trying to stop you from posting----cant help but wonder why you feel you should stop me....

Guess you arent paying any more attention to Paolo's wishes than anyone else...

The smell of hypocrisy was hanging so thick in the air I had to find it. You know like when there's something dead in your backyard and it smells awful but you have to go find out what it is and bury it?

Sep 25 20 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

the thing about having to wear a mask in public is

I can dress like a hobo and no one will recognize Me.  I've been wearing the same grey sweatpants for a week, come to think of it they're all that fit.

I've also noticed that not bathing has a remarkable effect on the proper social distancing.

We're playing it safe.

Sep 25 20 05:08 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Amateur wrote:

Regarding the poor fit of some masks.  The blue paper ones leave gaps at the side, but you can fold them in half length wise and use a glue stick on the edges.  Once they dry, the edges are sealed, you can tie the  ear cord into a knot as close to the edge as you can and you get a much better fit.  It only takes a few seconds to stick the sides together with a sewing machine and not very long with needle and thread.   You can do similar things with cloth masks to tighten them up.

Think of the masks, not so much as to protect you from everyone else, but to protect everyone else from you.  If everyone does that, everyone has a better chance.  So, dump the one you have with a valve.  No one is safe around you when you are wear that. 

I find that I have much less coughing and sneezing due to pollen when I am in weedy fields when I am wearing a mask.

I have one of the valved ones for wood working and I think it is really good protection for that. 

I know the virus is a lot smaller then pollen and sawdust.  Just my observations.

Sep 26 20 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I have one of the valved ones for wood working and I think it is really good protection for that.

yeah, the ones with the one-way check valve are for construction. not medical,
it doesnt filter anything when you exhale.
likewise a respirator that you would wear while painting is also a poor choice.

Sep 26 20 08:10 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Well as of now in Florida no mask equals no fine!

Sep 27 20 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

rick lesser wrote:
Well as of now in Florida no mask equals no fine!

faces are cool

Sep 27 20 11:50 pm Link