Forums > General Industry > Love or money...

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

...or _________ ?
Photographers, models... why do you do the thing?

Apr 01 21 04:31 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Love. It's just a hobby for me. I don't get paid.

Apr 01 21 04:46 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Both.  I love creativity and the overall artistic process, and find that modelling naked is extremely empowering for me as a woman.  For those reasons, over the years I have done modelling in exchange for photos or artwork multiple times, particularly when working with beginners or college students. But being of Jewish ethnicity, I also appreciate it when I am paid a fair price for my services. (Yes, that stereotype happens to be true!) There are certain genres such as fetish and erotic which I prefer to be paid for, particularly since there are very few almost 70 year old women willing to do that.

Apr 01 21 06:01 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

James S wrote:
Love. It's just a hobby for me. I don't get paid.

same for me.

Apr 01 21 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

i'm never motivated by money. fuck all that noise.

do what you love and the money will follow.
i do what i do for the art and love of being creative.

Apr 01 21 08:24 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

If I could find a way to monetize the crazy nonsense I do..I would

so by default..it's love

Apr 01 21 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Love, retired from a management day job and a photography side job

Apr 01 21 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I learned a long time ago that if you work hard at the things you love, money will usually follow.
It shouldn't be your only motivation . . .

However, if it is, I'll give you the three words of advice that I give everybody that is only interested in money . . .

Marry . . . Rich . . . Repetedly !!

Apr 01 21 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Marry . . . Rich . . . Repetedly !!

Good counsel.

Apr 01 21 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Photography - I'm not in it for the income. I'm in it for the outcome!

Apr 02 21 07:34 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Ya mean some people actually git paid fer a doin' pix!  Nutz, I must be a doin' it wrong  .  .  .  wink  With the outbreak of NFT auctions, who knows, may make some pocket jingle yet  .  .  .

SOS

Apr 03 21 08:02 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mainly for the love but I do not give it away, I have bills just like everyone else.

Apr 03 21 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

As a sports photographer, I shoot about 100 college games a year at a discount.  So it's definitely for the love of it.  I haven't done a model shoot in at least a year.  There's certainly no money in that.  Just a fun hobby.

Apr 03 21 09:23 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

I do some portfolio development for money, the rest is ALL LOVE baby!!! LoL
John

Apr 08 21 12:13 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I have never loved photography. I think I am somewhat excited about video, about making films. I can enjoy looking at a photo but I don't feel any burning passion to create.

When I first operated a film camera, a ricoh, a couple of images were collected and I was told by people involved in the arts that I was very talented, but I was never interested in pursuing it. I started doing business in 2012 if I recall correctly, but I haven't had the time to really build it and then Covid crushed the little business. The SBA has lent me money, wants to lend me more and may send me a sizeable advance, which will go to cinema equipment.   

I enjoy editing and particularly editing video. Adobe Premiere and After Effects are my favourite editing programs.

On my mother's side of the family madness and art are the dominant genes. My mother, aunt, half uncle, grandfather and grandmother all possessed the demon touch of art. From my mother I have her artistic eyes, which makes life in photography quite easy and makes film very enjoyable.

I think I am much more passionate about just the thought of studying chess rather than creating photography. Although I get lots of ideas.

Apr 08 21 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Love. An outlet of artistic expression. Never thought of it as a money maker. Its been talked about many times. Some do fishing, others car racing, fixing bikes, scuba diving etc. For me photography.

Apr 08 21 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's not an either/or. For me, it's both.

Apr 10 21 07:56 am Link

Photographer

tonedeftony

Florence, Oregon, US

I've been a news photographer for 20 years and have won CNPA (California Newspaper Publishers Association) and NNA (National Newspaper Association) awards for my writing and photography. My purpose has always been to catch a photo of what the reader would have seen if they had been there to view it with their own eyes. It doesn't involve setup, lighting, backgrounds, locales or post adjusting- It's just a photo of what happened. While I love that style, my heart has always been in creating SFX and model photography. However, I have always been in a relationship that would not support that or simply don't have the time in my non-photographer life. I live in the middle of nowhere and have a few prospective models here that are never quite ready to go out and shoot. I take news photos to pay the bills but it chips away at my heart that I don't have the time or means to photograph things I find beautiful and inspiring. I need to change my life, along with my longitude and latitude

Jun 12 21 12:17 pm Link