Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Shooting in this goddamn heat

Photographer

tonedeftony

Florence, Oregon, US

I wish I could express how much I hate the heat right now- I know there's nothing I can do about it but it just destroys any motivation I have to go out and take photos. For my birthday, I was given a gigantisaurus cargo parachute. I draped it over the top of the kids' trampoline and it made this amazing backlit arena inside. My brain was swimming with ideas about model shoots, SFX stuff, videos and more. However, once inside it in the searing direct sunlight here in northern inland California, I wanted to say 'fuck the whole idea.' And it's representative of how it's been in my life for months.
I moved here from the cloudy, grey, gloomily beautiful coast about 18 months ago and I hate it here. It's noon here now and it's already 100 degrees. I have a ripping headache and it makes me want to puke to go outside right now. There are no clouds, no fog and the daytime temps have been hovering around 90-100 for two months now. The relentless, direct sunlight makes for ugly, overcontrasted scenes and makes it just uncomfortable to be outside. I don't have an indoor studio and the people I regularly work with understandably don't want to shoot in 100 degree conditions.
I waited all winter for conditions that would be suitable to models and we went from winter to summer in like two weeks here. Now, I feel like I'm left to wait until fall. Meanwhile, I'm keenly aware that at my age, I've lived more days than I have left.
I want to be out shooting but I don't want to be out frying like an ant under a magnifying glass.
I've been trying to shoot in the mornings and evenings, but the temps rise quickly and fall slowly.
So, how do you do it?
How do you deal with the heat?

Jul 18 21 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Here in LA (that's Louisiana) it gets hot and the humidity makes it impossible to breath. I love shooting outdoors and I'm an outdoor sort of person. But it's damn near impossible to be creative when your body is in pain and dying.

I'm fortunate enough to have some land of my own to shoot on but that doesn't help with the heat. So I finally broke down and built a studio building. It's not open to the public, just a place with 12 foot ceilings and large open space to shoot in. And best of all it has twice the air condition required to cool the amount of square feet in the building. I love being able to have huge booms and stands for a change and a place to keep all my equipment at instant ready. I too don't have many years left so I'm considering this building my gift for retirement.

I guess if I had to keep shooting in the heat I'd build a swimming pool and shoot under water or at least shoot in and around the water. The heat isn't only hard on the photographer it is just as bad for the models. At least if they can dive in to a pool to cool off it would keep them from fizzling away.

Jul 18 21 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

your town seems so quaint and romantic though!
hang in there, the next ice age is almost here. smile
in the meantime perhaps travel to the coast to shoot?

Jul 18 21 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

tonedeftony wrote:
I wish I could express how much I hate the heat right now- I know there's nothing I can do about it but it just destroys any motivation I have to go out and take photos. For my birthday, I was given a gigantisaurus cargo parachute. I draped it over the top of the kids' trampoline and it made this amazing backlit arena inside. My brain was swimming with ideas about model shoots, SFX stuff, videos and more. However, once inside it in the searing direct sunlight here in northern inland California, I wanted to say 'fuck the whole idea.' And it's representative of how it's been in my life for months.
I moved here from the cloudy, grey, gloomily beautiful coast about 18 months ago and I hate it here. It's noon here now and it's already 100 degrees. I have a ripping headache and it makes me want to puke to go outside right now. There are no clouds, no fog and the daytime temps have been hovering around 90-100 for two months now. The relentless, direct sunlight makes for ugly, overcontrasted scenes and makes it just uncomfortable to be outside. I don't have an indoor studio and the people I regularly work with understandably don't want to shoot in 100 degree conditions.
I waited all winter for conditions that would be suitable to models and we went from winter to summer in like two weeks here. Now, I feel like I'm left to wait until fall. Meanwhile, I'm keenly aware that at my age, I've lived more days than I have left.
I want to be out shooting but I don't want to be out frying like an ant under a magnifying glass.
I've been trying to shoot in the mornings and evenings, but the temps rise quickly and fall slowly.
So, how do you do it?

It definitely can be too hot to have an enjoyable shoot in that part of the world during the summer

I have visited LA 4 times in the last 5 years ( pre covid of course ) and found some success in shooting during the mornings and evenings ( when temperatures are not at their peaks - nor is the degree of light  ) also a bit cooler near the Ocean

Jul 18 21 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Znude! wrote:
Here in LA (that's Louisiana) it gets hot and the humidity makes it impossible to breath. I love shooting outdoors and I'm an outdoor sort of person. But it's damn near impossible to be creative when your body is in pain and dying.

In years past I did a shoot in a Louisiana swamp setting.  It involved someone that I'd worked well with previously (up north) and I thought it would be a great chance to play tourist.  Hah!  I was the worst equipped person in the world to try and take on that task.  I had absolutely no idea what I was really in for, on all sorts of fronts.

Enjoyed the visit otherwise, anything as long as I wasn't responsible for actually getting anything done and my brain wasn't required to actually solve any problems.  Professionally, I left with my tail between my legs and a great deal more humility in terms of what I was capable of pulling off.

I also made a note to myself to never move anywhere REALLY hot.  I wouldn't stand a chance.  wink

Jul 18 21 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

tonedeftony wrote:
So, how do you do it?

A/C

On a visit to Florida in August (back in the day) I noted that most, if not all of the locals were huddled indoors, blinds closed, air on blast while the tourists baked on the beaches in the heat.

Jul 19 21 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

A few years ago I was shooting in Death Valley but I was really lucky(unlike you) because it was only 115 degrees! But you know, it's that dry heat, felt more like 75!!
The last time I drove through Weaverville, I rolled up the windows, cranked up the AC and stepped on it till I got all the way to that cloudy, grey, gloomy, beautiful coast!!! LoL
John

Jul 20 21 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

tonedeftony wrote:
So, how do you do it?

When I lived in Las Vegas, there was really only one option for shooting in the summer: mornings. Evenings are generally much hotter. As noted, the (relatively) dry heat is more tolerable than a humid heat, but unless you're regularly getting temperatures over 100 degrees, the approach should work for you.

You won't have a long shooting time before it gets too hot, but if you start before sunrise and get set up, you should have a couple of hours with both good light and tolerable temperatures. Limiting, sure, but you can recover inside with air conditioning afterwards.

Jul 21 21 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Over the last couple of years, I have moved my studio from West Hollywood CA to the Las Vegas area.  I figured it would be hot during the summers, and I was somewhat prepared for that.

However, we have had well over 100 days of 100+ temperatures including two weeks of over 110*

On the day that it was 117* it was 97 in the studio, and like a fool, I thought I could work through the heat.  I ended up at the hospital with heat exhaustion and was bed ridden for almost a week. I lived, needless to say, but what an ordeal.

I'm hoping the solution is I to re-do the cooling systems in the entire building.

Can any of you folka with more desert experience than I have make any suggestions as to what works better in the Vegas area: Air Conditioning, or Evaporative Coolers ?

KM

Jul 22 21 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

just gonna leave this here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVqlm8Fq3Y

Jul 22 21 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Long term residents should be able to adjust the the heat over time.   I shot in Death Valley, Vegas, and other locations in the desert southwest when the temp exceeded 110.  Temps are measured in the shade.  Being outside in the sun, it's probably 20+ degrees warmer.  Lots or water, salt tablets, and when outside, loose clothing and a wide brimmed hat. And take it easy.   If you're going in and out during the day and have inside air conditioning, keep the temp around 80 (home and car) during the day to reduce temp shock going in and out. 
The therometer I had in Vietnam topped out at 120 one day by my locker and never came back down.  Back then I was in my 20s and adjusted to the heat for the 15 months.  Being at 300-1000 feet in a Huey with the side door open felt good.

Jul 22 21 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Can any of you folka with more desert experience than I have make any suggestions as to what works better in the Vegas area: Air Conditioning, or Evaporative Coolers ?

KM

Use BOTH if you can!
My previous home was a 4br 2 story place with 2 central swamp coolers and 2 Central A/C units.
The swamp cooler easily lowered the temperature by 20 degrees in almost no time, the A/C would do the rest.

-----however-----

For the past decade or two the LV area grew and people planted grass and have swimming pools all over, so the average humidity is @ 12-15 percent on a 'dry' day.  Swamp coolers still work well with that type of humidity levels, but they work exponentially better for each percentage point the humidity level drops.   

Outlying areas (where a mutual friend says you moved to) have 4% avg humidity in the summer, which is FANTASTIC for swamp coolers!

The only other caveat is that swamp coolers do need maintenance.  Because of all the minerals in the tap water the pads get 'crusty' fairly quickly and need replacing.  Also will need to clean the bottom of the cooler and the pump inlet once in awhile for the same reason.

You also need to keep at least a few doors and windows open a little bit for the swamp cooled air to flow through the house.

Because swamp cooled air is constantly flowing, it feels much better, the air isn't stagnant.  The gain in humidity is PERFECT for operating an A/C, too.  When you first moved to the desert did you ever notice that cans of beer or soft drinks don't FEEL cold in the store's refrigerator?  Did you ever think your car AC wasn't working because it didn't feel cold in the car???  Those are common thoughts when people first move to the desert.  It's simply the lack of humidity that causes those sensations.
(It took me a few back and forth trips to the coast to realize that phenomenon.)

On days like today (rain clouds) I have to turn my AC waaaaaay up because I feel like I'm freezing, but on a normal day, even at 15 percent humidity I can't seem to get the house cool enough.

Jul 22 21 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

KM

From Phoenix. My previous studio had only evap in the shooting area (warehouse). AC in the office areas. I could shoot in the warehouse just fine until the monsoon (humidity) hit.. then, forget about it.. I tried to improvise as much as I could by blowing fans from the AC area into the warehouse, but it just wasn't enough.  After that experience, I made sure that my next space (my current one, while not as big and versitile) has AC throughout. It was a "must have" when I was shopping around.

Jul 23 21 12:01 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

As a hair and makeup artist in South Florida, I feel your pain!First be grateful you have work.As the photographer you must have some control over your projects? The earlier you start the better.Have your call time set up so the second that sun starts to rise you are ready to start. Also, I have found the time an hour or so before sunset the light is amazing. You learn to be fast and efficent. You choose your crew to be the same.Everyone here has or knows someone with a generator. Buy one.This way you can run fans and even a portable A C. Have lots of cold water, Gatorade, pedialyte to replenish electrolytes.For my part, I think about the weather, the location, for inspiration and then the wardrobe. I have used deodorant on the skin before makeup (works great) Hairstyles are kept neat and simpler than what I might normally do. If it is windy and I want the hair down without brushing it constantly I will use tiny braids mixed in to add weight to the hair and keep it from moving uncontrollably. And one last thing, why in the world would you be shooting in the middle of the hot day outside in the first place!!!???

Jul 23 21 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

tonedeftony

Florence, Oregon, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
The last time I drove through Weaverville, I rolled up the windows, cranked up the AC and stepped on it till I got all the way to that cloudy, grey, gloomy, beautiful coast!!! LoL
John

You're wise to keep the pedal to the metal and get out of here- and you're lucky to have that option.

Jul 24 21 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

tonedeftony

Florence, Oregon, US

Thanks for all the input- I'm doing my best to deal with it, but it's a struggle. I have some time coming up in early August to do some shooting, I'm going to give it my best to try to make it bearable and regain some motivation. It may be the week where I decide I just can't take it anymore and am left with no choice but to just leave- We'll see

Jul 24 21 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

i was just wondering if you were in the heat and the smoke with the fires up north...
then saw your new (current) profile pic glad to see that was just "training"
awesome pic tho!

Aug 19 21 08:21 pm Link