Forums > General Industry > This is suspicious right?

Model

Zura

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I got this as a message:
"Will pay 225-250 thousand dollars CASH PAID UP FRONT IN ADVANCE for photography please forward your tel # for further details"

That's suspicious right?
(note: I'm not even a photographer..)

Aug 30 21 08:38 pm Link

Model

Zura

*Important note: be weary of cash-advance scams such as money orders or checks someone will mail you. You can research this all over the web incase you are not familiar with it. Don't get scammed! *

For those interested, here's how the rest of the convo goes:

Zura
Why forward a telephone # if you can tell me on here?

Holly
Because people whose preferred manner of communication is hiding anonymously behind electronic devices such as computer keyboards make me verry, very nervous. The first thing which comes to my mind is "scammer"

Zura
If you were the one who reached out to me with the original email though, why would I be the one who is a scammer?

Holly
Well that's truly hilarious. Undoubtedly you're a Trump supporter. Last I heard anything so ridiculous & absurd was the last time I had the misfortune of hearing Trump utter a few words.

Zura
So, you get my email address somewhere (probably off the MM site), send me a suspicious email about making tons of money in cash for photography, then when I call you out on being a hypocrite-you start attacking me with political garbage?
Are you on drugs or something?

Holly
Not political at all. I'm a very, very successful Oxford graduate who travels every corner of the globe & Trump is universally accepted as the planet's biggest idiotic moron however it seems that over 70 million Americans particularly in the south seem to believe that this idiot has a functioning brain. Those of us who are sane & deal with Americans use Trump as a yardstick for sanity & intelligence. we are very well aware that anyone who does not recognize Trump as a bankrupt ,racist, illiterate, incestuous, lying thief can't be much better than he is. You've very unwisely thrown away an outrageous amount of money. All the best.

Zura
I hope you feel better now

Aug 30 21 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Wow!  That is one suspicious hustler... bring up politics from a modeling site??  One isse with having your email posted on here is getting scammers like that.  Do you know what profile this person has on here?  You should report them.

Aug 30 21 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I could be wrong, but I don't think even A-List celebrities make this kind of money for a single photo shoot.

Aug 31 21 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Zura,

you've made at least 4 threads recently about "sketchy" offers.
by now you should be a pro at spotting a scam.
hint: theyre all pretty much the same, and if you have to ask if its suspicious, then it is!

also you've been informed multiple times before how to avoid being the target for scammers.
do you really need us to keep telling you that a ridiculous offer is ridiculous?

stay safe! smile

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19933421
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19937278

Aug 31 21 12:43 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Zura Moonleaf wrote:

Thank you for sharing your exchange.  It was entertaining.  Please feel free to express yourself here.  Other people do, you should too.

Aug 31 21 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Zura,
Thanks for some entertainment in an otherwise humdrum day.

Aug 31 21 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This is just 'bait' to see how gullible the person is that answers the original message.

Once they find a gullible person, the crooks have many different techniques they use to extract more and more money from the victim.

Some people have been bilked out of tens of thousands of dollars in such schemes.

Aug 31 21 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Some people have been bilked out of tens of thousands of dollars in such schemes.

i'm not smart enough to have any money so i wont be stupid enough to have it stolen.
now thats using ya brain! wink
only time Nigerian scammers got me was like 5 years ago. i ended up with a pet hyena.
i think i still came out on top.

Aug 31 21 11:27 am Link

Model

Zura

The thing that motivates/drives me to post any of these is because when I get emails like that, the first thing I do is a search in the forums for key words, and when I can't find it- I search google.
When I can't find it there (cause it's a scammer that hasn't been documented yet) then I post it .

I'm going to start posting on reddit instead though, because sometimes the moderators here will remove my posts, which defeats the whole purpose lol

Aug 31 21 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Zura Moonleaf wrote:
The thing that motivates/drives me to post any of these is because when I get emails like that, the first thing I do is a search in the forums for key words, and when I can't find it- I search google.
When I can't find it there (cause it's a scammer that hasn't been documented yet) then I post it .

I'm going to start posting on reddit instead though, because sometimes the moderators here will remove my posts, which defeats the whole purpose lol

Thank you for posting.  I enjoyed it, and appreciate hearing about these scams especially when there is a comical story behind it.  There is not a lot of posts on the forums anymore, much less entertaining ones.

Aug 31 21 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Zura Moonleaf wrote:
I got this as a message:
"Will pay 225-250 thousand dollars CASH PAID UP FRONT IN ADVANCE for photography please forward your tel # for further details"

That's suspicious right?
(note: I'm not even a photographer..)

Why would you respond to such a obvious scam ?
Why are people are entertained by this stuff
Criminals are stealing billions of $$$ from gullible people...Where is the joke, sounds serious to me.

New models:Learn hot to spot scams
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphill … -tell-you/

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/happens … 38995.html

Sep 01 21 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Zura Moonleaf wrote:

i appreciate your efforts and intention. really theres no reason to document.
its always the same scam, either cash a check scam or nudes phishing,... and probably the same scammers, they just change their names, emails, and dollar amount.

Sep 01 21 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think even A-List celebrities make this kind of money for a single photo shoot.

Last I heard of anything this ludicrous was I was watching that documentary on the Fyre Festival on NetFlix. Supposedly, and this is a very big SUPPOSEDLY, Kendall Jenner got paid that much to do an Instagram post to promote the Fyre Festival. I say, "supposedly" because a lot of people didn't get paid by the organizers; not only the daily workers that helped setup the facilities, but also the musical acts that were booked.

I don't think there has ever been a full accounting on who got paid and who didn't.

Sep 01 21 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Zura Moonleaf wrote:
When I can't find it there (cause it's a scammer that hasn't been documented yet) then I post it ...

There's the Huge clue in your first line! You keep getting scam emails, because you have your email posted in your profile, visible to every scammer in the world! MM Profiles are viewable by everyone in the world! Never display your email, phone number, address, bank account number, passwords, or any other private info in your profile! It is an open invitation to scammers around the world! You should remove it right away, and only share it very selectively, (and privately) with limited members, and only after you have checked them out and found them yo be professional and verified who they are. Don't trust any of the unsolicited outside emails you will still be getting and don't reply to them. With random outside emails, they can claim to be whoever they want and you can't confirm it. It is the last way anyone legitimate would contact you!

A little common sense goes a long way!

Sep 17 21 08:34 pm Link