Forums > Photography Talk > Make my old Sunpak 544, 522 useful again

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

I have a bunch of Sunpak 5xx hammerhead flashes that I almost throw them away. Here is how I end up making them useful again for location shooting without portable batteries and pricey strobes. you should be able to get these flashes for $20 or less on ebay or craigslist:

https://youtu.be/ovMohqXYXEY

or on Rumble:
https://rumble.com/v164bsf-reviving-sun … ion-s.html

May 25 22 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Nice!

I love revitalizing old gear.

You could also get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable with "right-angle" plugs, which would eliminate one possible point of failure -- the connection between your current cable and adapter.

Additionally, having sleek, right-angle plugs avoids accidental "pullouts" and prevents potential flex stress to the 2.5mm connector on the Sunpak.

May 25 22 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

The Other Place wrote:
Nice!
I love revitalizing old gear.
You could also get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable with "right-angle" plugs, which would eliminate one possible point of failure -- the connection between your current cable and adapter.
Additionally, having sleek, right-angle plugs avoids accidental "pullouts" and prevents potential flex stress to the 2.5mm connector on the Sunpak.

I'm not sure if there is any 90 degree angle 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters? There are the two types available from a few ebay sellers. there are some that are cables. But I don't want to spend too much more money on these old (but durable) flashes. i got my mileage out of them. I'm just surprised that they are still working strong. I just didn't want to throw them away.

May 26 22 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
I'm not sure if there is any 90 degree angle 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters? There are the two types available from a few ebay sellers. there are some that are cables.

Yes.  Here are such adapters.

Chuckarelei wrote:
But I don't want to spend too much more money on these old (but durable) flashes. i got my mileage out of them. I'm just surprised that they are still working strong. I just didn't want to throw them away.

So many things can go wrong when using radio slaves.  If it were me, I would spend the extra few bucks to eliminate a potential point of failure and to keep things clean and sleek.

May 27 22 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Optical slaves, either the hot shoe or plug in variety, super reliable.  Have used them for decades in this exact use case

May 28 22 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use these potato mashers from Metz, Canon and Sunpak. I love the power. Once, I put my Metz 60 CT-1 on each side of the camera and shot at full power on both. Needless to say, everyone knew I was there. I convert my Metz potatio mashers to run on rechargable AA instead of the Metz battery. As long as you can live without TTL flash and high speed sync, the old flashes are the best to use.

May 29 22 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I used my 544's for many years with PocketWizards, in 2x3 softboxes and various sized umbrellas. With the newer higher-powered options like Godox' AD200/AD300 or Westcott's FJ-series that can have TTL and power-level control from the camera, it's easy to overlook the fact that the older gear is no less capable than it used to be.

I just got tired of carrying around dozens and dozens of AA batteries and the (relatively) long recycle times, but I still have them, and sometimes bring them when I might need an extra pop of light in a corner.

Jun 04 22 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

you kids with your fancy, battery dependent radio units!  Any Flash with a thyristor circuit (about anything built since 1974 or so) does not really need TTL.  Set the ISO speed on the flash, read the aperture output and distance scale on the flash, hook it to an _optical_ slave (One that just has a hot shoe on it), and it is a perfect accent, background or fill light.  While the thread is about "Potato Mashers" - I did this with Vivitar 283s and 285s in the 1980s.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Jun 04 22 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

TaylorScott Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
I have a bunch of Sunpak 5xx hammerhead flashes that I almost throw them away. Here is how I end up making them useful again for location shooting without portable batteries and pricey strobes. you should be able to get these flashes for $20 or less on ebay or craigslist:

I have several Sunpak 622 with the different heads, like standard, zoom, IR and bare bulb. Over the years I also picked up the rechargeable battery packs for when I was shooting sport. With the zoom head I could reach out along side of a race track and still be in a safe place.

Then I wanted to get into portraits on location so I got some light stands and the famous Pocket Wizards. Now that technology has caught up with the world, I have bought 2 light weight stands and and soft boxes and can put everything in a backpack with a camera body and 2 lenses and go anywhere to photograph a portrait.

I thought about selling them to get some Godox AD200 flashes because of their size (3 Godox [currently $300 a flash] to 1 Sunpak and all the Pocket Wizards), but after looking at the cost to recovery rate, to me I felt it was not worth the trouble.

To enhance this even further, I went and bought a Norman small studio 3 strobe and 2 200B portable strobes. The portable strobes we're for several of the tracks that require us to stand farther back and the Sunpaks just did not cut it with out going to a higher ASA or pushing exposure. The one head I got was for shooting to about 150 feet if necessary. They are heavier and bulkier but also great for the short drive  where you don't hike to the location.

It may be old technology but it has proven itself over time on reliability.

Jun 07 22 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rumble.com ? No way Jose

Aug 21 22 09:43 pm Link