Forums > Model Colloquy > Models do you treat trade shoots differently?

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

A “professional” model posted this on one of my social media pages. I would especially like to hear the opinions of models, but also photographers and others.

"Someone on my timeline posed an interesting topic and I’m curious what the photographers/models on my timeline think of this. My opinion is if I am doing trade, I have no real obligation whatsoever. If I am getting paid for a shoot, then I am obligated to show up and be on time as that is a paid job. Of course I keep in communication regardless of whether it is paid or trade. But if it’s a trade thing I feel like it’s very laid back where sure I’ll agree to shoot but I may wake up that day and decide I don’t want to or I might have to change the day or time or something. Same goes for the photographer. They might wanna cancel or show up late. It’s not like a serious big deal. I feel like I see a lot of photographers complain on here about models not being on time or not showing up for shoots but 9 times out of 10 they aren’t even being paid…I think both parties communicating with each other goes a very long way too."

May 21 24 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I see a problem with what you have said. Treat every opportunity professionally whether it is paid or not. If you agree to shoot a TF theme and don't feel like it is the morning, you need to sort yourself out. Where there could be nothing of value to the shoot for you. it could be quite important for the model. They may have invested in makeup, hair, clothing, accessories and transportation. So, if you do a last minute cancellation or pull a no-show, you have injured the other party.

I have done over 600 model shoots. In addition, I've had many cancellations and no-shows. Guess what, that is what happens in the industry. If you think everything planned happens 100%, you are naive. Instead of thinking how you benefit, think about how you showing up and doing what you agreed to do as helping another person. I had a shoot with 4 fitness models and the makeup artist didn't show up. There was a cosmetic store nearby, so I bought some items the models told me they needed. The shoot went fine and they were happy with their images, I didn't think I could use the photos as I was not in the fitness market, but I was happy to meet them and do networking. A couple months later, one of the models phoned to thank me again and offer me a paid opportunity on international television. I hadn't known that she was the casting director for a major production on television.

The industry had a long memory of who did not honour their commitments. I have a list of people that backed out on some of my photoshoots, even paid ones. I listen to models when they tell me about photographers that have backed out on them. Because I shoot internationally, I get requests for references from travelling photographers and models. Often, I tell them who is problematic and has a history of putting photoshoots at risk.

My advice is to choose another industry if you don't want to honour your commitments. Whether paid or trade, treat it as a professional obligation and bring your "A" Game. There should be no such thing as treating as a laid back approach. As Yoda says "Do or Do Not". If all you have to do to be a better photographer is to honour your commitments, then that is a pretty easy step.

May 21 24 11:09 am Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

Dorola wrote:
I see a problem with what you have said. Treat every opportunity professionally whether it is paid or not. If you agree to shoot a TF theme and don't feel like it is the morning, you need to sort yourself out. Where there could be nothing of value to the shoot for you. it could be quite important for the model. They may have invested in makeup, hair, clothing, accessories and transportation. So, if you do a last minute cancellation or pull a no-show, you have injured the other party.

I have done over 600 model shoots. In addition, I've had many cancellations and no-shows. Guess what, that is what happens in the industry. If you think everything planned happens 100%, you are naive. Instead of thinking how you benefit, think about how you showing up and doing what you agreed to do as helping another person. I had a shoot with 4 fitness models and the makeup artist didn't show up. There was a cosmetic store nearby, so I bought some items the models told me they needed. The shoot went fine and they were happy with their images, I didn't think I could use the photos as I was not in the fitness market, but I was happy to meet them and do networking. A couple months later, one of the models phoned to thank me again and offer me a paid opportunity on international television. I hadn't known that she was the casting director for a major production on television.

The industry had a long memory of who did not honour their commitments. I have a list of people that backed out on some of my photoshoots, even paid ones. I listen to models when they tell me about photographers that have backed out on them. Because I shoot internationally, I get requests for references from travelling photographers and models. Often, I tell them who is problematic and has a history of putting photoshoots at risk.

My advice is to choose another industry if you don't want to honour your commitments. Whether paid or trade, treat it as a professional obligation and bring your "A" Game. There should be no such thing as treating as a laid back approach. As Yoda says "Do or Do Not". If all you have to do to be a better photographer is to honour your commitments, then that is a pretty easy step.

May 21 24 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

To clarify, in case you didn't understand. This was posted by a model not me. I believe a trade shoot is a paid shoot. Just paid with photos and time not currency and should be treated as such.

May 21 24 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The same applies to models, photographer's, MUA, HA, designers and anyone involved. I've  worked in other industries like manufacturing, engineering, military, sales and sports. Those that don't honour their commitments rarely thrive.

May 21 24 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

The carefree attitude of someone who may or may not show up based on how they are feeling is a sign that they lack ambition to achieve success. If the love of creating images does not get a person motivated enough that they will show up regardless of if money is involved, I think they are missing out on potentially great accomplishments.

May 22 24 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

The problem is that too many people see working for Trade as working for free, and it isn't. One skill profession works with other and they all get great images and networking .

If I ever had a model say what the op quoted I wouldn't never work with her even on a paid shoot because she proudly announced she has no integrity

May 25 24 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Dupe post

May 25 24 09:34 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Photographers LOVE to show up for the shoot and have the "experience" but they don't like to get around to editing images and sending the model any.  "Professional" models learn this very quickly. They also learn that photographers own copyright and many use the TF images for commercial purposes.

A non-agency freelance model who treats her business seriously quickly learns that appreciative photographers will send plenty of usable images for her portfolio from paid shoots. There are a lot of talented photographers who aren't in the photography business and earn enough money in their day jobs to pay a model a decent rate.

I'm not sure why the OP is choosing to bash a model who is not even on this site, but I guess we've run out of models here to talk shit about? There's no context and we don't know if what he said was what she actually said. There were no quotes or screenshots....

May 26 24 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I don't take what is purported to be one model's opinion on trade vs paid at all seriously.
Nor do I take the old trope that photographers always take forever to send models trade shoot photo seriously.

Opinions are not facts, there can be endless opinions about a single fact but the reverse is seldom truth.

May 26 24 09:10 am Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

I personally do not agree with that individual's opinion. Shooting trade benefits everyone and can produce the most collaborative photos that benefit everyone's portfolio. Also, many trade shoots lead to paid shoots. It is always in every crew member's best interests to treat every shoot with the utmost respect and do your best work.

May 31 24 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Dorola wrote:
Treat every opportunity professionally, whether it is paid or not.

+1

Naturally, nothing prevents, upon agreement between the parties, to clearly indicate that paid jobs take precedence over the rest, while specify notice periods in case the photographic session cannot take place.
It's a matter of respect, don't only a question of waste of time. That is essentially what it means be professional.

Jun 01 24 04:52 am Link