Forums > Photography Talk > Epson Stylus Photo R1800

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Okay, guys....just bought one. It was $550 (well, $650, but I bought the warranty and an extra battery for my Canon) and came with a firewire cable.

This printer is so awesome! I just spent way too much time setting it up and making prints. It is so quiet and FAST! It also prints on CDs, roll paper and sheets up to 13x18....

I'm in heaven. This is better than the time my husband bought me the 300mm lens for my Canon.....

Sep 17 05 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Tito Trelles just showed me a print from his R1800, and it looked fan-flipping-tastic.  "Damn, Gina" good.  (But because I'm a brand whore, I went with the Canon i9900...also fast, quiet, and up to 13x19, but no CDs or roll paper. sad)

Sep 17 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

You know they just came out with an Epson R2400, but thats probally out of your financial freedom ( more than you'd care to spend ).

The big difference from the 1800 and the Canon 9900, is the canon not gona last nearly as long as the 1800 prints, on the right paper.

Sep 17 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

More sad...

(But I'm of the mind that one should do what one can with what one has while one has it.  So I'm happy.)

Sep 17 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've been running a 1800 for a little more than a month and it is a great printer, I would have rather gone with the Canon, but....

Try it in heavyweigh rag paper and it is really out of this world (great).  There also seem to be a number of tricks to getting the best print from any image.  I'm having trouble with the newer Epson papers.

Sep 17 05 10:26 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I don't use the Epson papers. I buy Ilford at the photo store...I can't remember the name of it. You can also get jetprint photo from WalMart. It's awesome stuff as well.

Sep 17 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

since I work alot with black and white I'm using the HP 8750.

I have a 1280 for my cone pigment prints, but in terms of black and white out the box (idiot proof) I like the 8750.

I looked that the epsons but I didn't want to pay more and I'm tired of constantly dealing with unclogging issues.

Sep 17 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I've been reading up the epson printers...  That will definitely be my next impulse buy...

Sep 17 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

HEF Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Not to change the subject off "Epson" but I found a great 8.5x11 paper.
Office Depot High Glossy !!!!  Haven't been able to figure out which brand
it is but it make a nice high gloss print. 
Harry

Sep 17 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I got the 1800 because my book is 13x19. I had / still have the 2200 and the image quality is unmatchable and I'm printing 13x19's 4 times as fast as the 2200 does.

Sep 17 05 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

Try the Moab Entrada Fine Art and Kokopelli Gloss papers.

www.moabpapers.com

By far the best papers out there for the Epson printers.

Eric Foltz

Sep 17 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
I've been reading up the epson printers...  That will definitely be my next impulse buy...

Do you usually plan your impulse buys :-)?

I used to like Epson Premium Lustre when using an Epson 960 but it looks dull now that I'm using an R1800. Much prefer Espon Premium Semi Gloss (and Enhaced Matte for matte).

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I got the 1800 because my book is 13x19.

Have you found a good portfolio system for 13x19? I would like a system whereby I can put prints in sleeves as I make them (for protection) and put a bunch of prints into a binder for presentation without having to remove them from their sleeves.

Sep 18 05 02:07 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
Try the Moab Entrada Fine Art and Kokopelli Gloss papers.

www.moabpapers.com

By far the best papers out there for the Epson printers.

Eric Foltz

Hi Eric! (waves hello)

Sep 18 05 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I got mine from Amazon at a pretty good price and free shipping.
It's much faster than my old printer. I like printing borderless, saves a lot of time trimming to size after printing.
I printed my first CDs this weekend. I made a CD using Photoshop Web Photo Gallery from the pix I took at a theater. Passed out copies at the cast party tonight so the cast can order prints. The CD's looked good with a background shot from the show and text over it.

Sep 18 05 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

Hi Eric! (waves hello)

Hey Dawn,

Keeping busy?

Eric

Sep 18 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Harris

Watauga, Tennessee, US

I don't use the Epson papers. I buy Ilford at the photo store...I can't remember the name of it. You can also get jetprint photo from WalMart. It's awesome stuff as well.

Dawn
I use the Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl Paper. It's awesome and does not fingerprint easily. Try it if you haven't. Beautiful prints that are dry as soon as they come out of the R1800.

Sep 20 05 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I spent $624 getting 119 8x10's and 21 11x14's done last week. Today I'm waiting on the shop opening to pick up their replacements because the kiosk I was using wasn't as WYSIWIG as the shop owner said it was, they sliced off 1/4" of both the top and the bottom, cutting off hairlines and heels left and right. I dropped them off before Thanksgiving, and here it is a week later and I still won't have them until noon. I had to resize down 1/2" and add a 1/2" black border, just hoping that works.

He said "well, you know the computers are not that accurate."

So I'm seriously looking at the R1800 right now because at least if it screws up it's my fault and I can do something about it. I notice thsi thread is from September. Is there anything newer and better since then?

Dec 01 05 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Rick Harris wrote:
I use the Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl Paper. It's awesome and does not fingerprint easily. Try it if you haven't. Beautiful prints that are dry as soon as they come out of the R1800.

This is exactly what I use, and I second this statement whole-heartedly.  I love the paper and the printer.

Has anyone got any experience with continuous ink systems for this printer?  I was thinking that might be my next purchase.

Dec 01 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Ched wrote:
I spent $624 getting 119 8x10's and 21 11x14's done last week.

Ouch.  Try www.adoramapix.com - your order would have been about $360.  Or for less than that you could buy my Canon i9900... wink

Dec 01 05 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Ouch.  Try www.adoramapix.com - your order would have been about $360.

I wish I'd know that a week ago.

Why are you selling your printer?

Dec 01 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Digital Plus Photo

Washington, Illinois, US

Ok, been watching the threads on these printers (C-i9900 and E-r1800) for a couple of weeks. I have held off buying till I think I've got a pretty good idea what you all think is the best machine for the best prints. If I understand it correctly most agree the Epson R1800 is the better of the two. If that's not right please tell me, I'm ready to make the call to order one of my Christmas presents.
Thanks

Dec 01 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I'm told by the guy at my local imaging shop that the $529 Epson R1800 will never match the quality of the quarter million dollar lab he sends my pictures out to. He said that the lab prints with light and chemicals instead of ink. This sounds reasonable to me.

I still intend to get the printer if only to have an ability to preview my work. I'll doubt I'll ever give a clinet print-outs as final product, it will all be digital.

Thoughts/opinions on that one?

Dec 01 05 01:46 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Ched wrote:
I spent $624 getting 119 8x10's and 21 11x14's done last week. Today I'm waiting on the shop opening to pick up their replacements because the kiosk I was using wasn't as WYSIWIG as the shop owner said it was, they sliced off 1/4" of both the top and the bottom, cutting off hairlines and heels left and right.

He said "well, you know the computers are not that accurate."

So I'm seriously looking at the R1800 right now because at least if it screws up it's my fault and I can do something about it. I notice thsi thread is from September. Is there anything newer and better since then?

Well, to be honest, the computer is accurate if you size the file exactly right. If you size it to 8x10, it will be printed as 8x10. Now, I generally leave an 8th extra all around, just in case.

If you're printing a digital photo, and pull it into PS, go to the image resize and change one end to 8. You will see that proportionately, it won't size to 10, it will size to 12 or something like it. You will have to figure there is some cropping. So, to save yourself some time and kiosk worker stoopidity, do the cropping yourself. Obviously, the dude didn't know what he was talking about.

Another place you might try is Shutterfly.com. You can actually see the crop before you order and it lets you customize it if you don't like it. I use my Epson for smaller projects and on the fly portrait sessions where the client is rushed to get their prints.

Dec 01 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Actually, I went from the 1280 to the 24oo and I absolutely love it!  I can't imagine better print quality.  I've put the prints on Epson Lustre side by side with lustre prints from a lab and couldn't find any difference except that the blacks were richer from the Epson. 

Also, it does amazing B&W

Dec 01 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Harry Forsythe wrote:
Not to change the subject off "Epson" but I found a great 8.5x11 paper.
Office Depot High Glossy !!!!  Haven't been able to figure out which brand
it is but it make a nice high gloss print. 
Harry

You are right about the Office depot paper.  A friend sent me three prints on it, and I though that they were enlarger prints. (His new printer is the IP 5000 canon)

Dec 01 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have an Epson 2200 and I love it. They are quite a buy right now if you can find them since they were phased out in favor of the newer models.

Also, persons wanting an Epson printer, of whatever type, would do well to check Epson's web store, which has a Clearance section. You can get discontinued and refurbished printers there for *substantial* discounts. They have the same warranty as new stock and, in fact, if you do do a warranty swap, you'll get a brand new printer. (That actually happened to me.) Their service is topnotch.

M

Dec 01 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Ched wrote:
I'm told by the guy at my local imaging shop that the $529 Epson R1800 will never match the quality of the quarter million dollar lab he sends my pictures out to. He said that the lab prints with light and chemicals instead of ink. This sounds reasonable to me.

I still intend to get the printer if only to have an ability to preview my work. I'll doubt I'll ever give a clinet print-outs as final product, it will all be digital.

I'm not looking into going inkjet yet either. I haven't seen an inkjet print that would match the quality of silver halide photographs in any way and as for the lifespan... there are claims that with the use of proper archival ink and paper you can make your prints last for 200 years, but this is easy to say because there is no way to prove it right or wrong. I've never seen 100 years old inkjet print, but I have seen 100 years old silver gelatine photograph. Either way, the progress in ink jet industry sure is overwheming.

Mark

Dec 01 05 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Ched wrote:

I you don't mind spending more and don't need to print on CDs and don't mind a very very slightly less glossy look on Premium Glossy Photo Paper, the R2400 is a better printer for Matte printing AND black and white printing.  It does a fantastic job still on Prem. Glossy, Luster, and Semimatte.
Why they dropped CD printing support, I don't know.

Dec 01 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

OK... all this talk about the R-1800.  How much does the ink cost?... what papers work best with it?... are 'large ink containers' compatible?... enlighten me... wink

Dec 01 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tejas Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I'm in heaven. This is better than the time my husband bought me the 300mm lens for my Canon.....

First I have to acknowledge I am not worthy of replying to the Great & Wonderful DawnElizabeth, whose work in front of the camera is only rivaled by her work behind the lens! (How’s that?)  So please do not have me vanquished to the netherworld.  But I always get a kick out of your acknowledgement about your 300mm lens; it was the second lens I purchased and my first L.  Now if I could just figure out how to use all this stuff and I have the 9900 so I guess there was no point.

Dec 01 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Select Models wrote:
OK... all this talk about the R-1800.  How much does the ink cost?... what papers work best with it?... are 'large ink containers' compatible?... enlighten me... wink

The ink costs 14$ per cartidge. Remember though that it comes with 8 cartriges and you dont need to change the whole thing because you are missing yellow. Then, I am in love with the Premium Glossy paper from Epson, the images look so good, if you print them in 13x19 you would say you have a real person next to you, not a picture. I have the R1800 as well and thank god I listened to Karl Blessing's advice when buying it. I am so happy. Plus, no matter what people say, I have a friend who is working at a lab and he admited there is no differencfe between the lab prints and the ones R1800 make it.

Dec 01 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Pitaru wrote:
Plus, no matter what people say, I have a friend who is working at a lab and he admited there is no differencfe between the lab prints and the ones R1800 make it.

You wouldn't happen to also have a more technical explanation of why there isn't much difference, would you?

Dec 01 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Ched wrote:
I'm told by the guy at my local imaging shop that the $529 Epson R1800 will never match the quality of the quarter million dollar lab he sends my pictures out to.

Do you think he might be a little bit biased because he wants to keep all of your business?

Dec 02 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ched wrote:
You wouldn't happen to also have a more technical explanation of why there isn't much difference, would you?

Well, as I understand it, both sets of printers print @ 300dpi, so the resolution is going to be pretty much the same...so the question is, how do you feel about the vibrancy of the color, the paper and the lifetime?

If you've color balanced your printer to your computer, then you should get consistent results.

I happen to like Ilford Smooth Pearl...but that's a personal choice.

Do you really need your pictures to last 100 years?  Plus, I've seen photos with significant degradation after 20 years, so I'm not sure how much I buy that, there are a lot of outside factors.

I could see in the old days, when prints were made directly off of negatives via an analog process things might be different...but even if you use film, today they scan your pictures and print them exactly the same as if they were digital files....labs are a rip-off.

Dec 02 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ched wrote:

Your imaging shop guy is trying to keep his business. I did traditional darkroom developing and printing for more that 50 years. The B&W asnd clor prints I produced were exhibited in art galleries and juried salons in about 15 states and  few times in Canada. A couple of camera stores refered custiomers to me for custom B&W printing. I taught (part time) an intensive, hands on course in traditional developing and printing for about 14 years. In other words I know my way around a darkrom pretty well. Your guy is wrong!

The 1800 and 2400 are what I call sister machines, in that they use similar technologies and produce a similar result. Some months ago, I reserched the 1800 and the 2400 pretty intensively and ended up buying the 2400. I chose that because it does a bit of a better job than the 1800 with B&W and B&W on matte paper. For color prints, glossy and semi gloss paper, the 1800 does an outstanding job.

Digital enlargements from either the 1800 or 2400  meet or exceed the quality of traditional wet process prints in every way. They are certainly better quality that the mass produced prints that million dollar lab produces. I hae some digital prints on matte paper hanging on my living room wall, beside some wet process enlargements, for comparison purposes.  So far, no one has been able to tell the difference! Even looking at them up close, no one has been able tell which is which and a number of highly skilled photographers have tried.

Dec 02 05 10:14 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Richard Roesler wrote:
First I have to acknowledge I am not worthy of replying to the Great & Wonderful DawnElizabeth, whose work in front of the camera is only rivaled by her work behind the lens!

Who is this great person of which you speak? For I wish to be in her presence as well......

Kidding. Seriously. I am just geek in many disguises.

Dec 02 05 10:17 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Pitaru wrote:

The ink costs 14$ per cartidge. Remember though that it comes with 8 cartriges and you dont need to change the whole thing because you are missing yellow. Then, I am in love with the Premium Glossy paper from Epson, the images look so good, if you print them in 13x19 you would say you have a real person next to you, not a picture. I have the R1800 as well and thank god I listened to Karl Blessing's advice when buying it. I am so happy. Plus, no matter what people say, I have a friend who is working at a lab and he admited there is no differencfe between the lab prints and the ones R1800 make it.

Well, I will tell you that if you have to change one color, you will most likely have to change a few more.

I spent $60.00 on ink on my first change. I am having a hard time finding the photo gloss cartridge in the stores, so I'm having to order online. The printer was bought at BestBuy, but they are not carrying it in my town anymore, so they are not as likely to carry that cartridge as often.

I am not disappointed in the quality. For the money and the usage I get out of it, it's worth it.

Dec 02 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Ched wrote:

Because most labs are now printing with large format Epsons and HPs.

Eric Foltz

Dec 02 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Well, I will tell you that if you have to change one color, you will most likely have to change a few more.

I spent $60.00 on ink on my first change. I am having a hard time finding the photo gloss cartridge in the stores, so I'm having to order online. The printer was bought at BestBuy, but they are not carrying it in my town anymore, so they are not as likely to carry that cartridge as often.

I am not disappointed in the quality. For the money and the usage I get out of it, it's worth it.

Dawn,

Go to www.inkjetart.com

They have good prices on all cartridges and usually ship same day.

Eric Foltz

Dec 02 05 10:27 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Eric Foltz wrote:

Dawn,

Go to www.inkjetart.com

They have good prices on all cartridges and usually ship same day.

Eric Foltz

Thanks!!!!

Dec 02 05 10:28 am Link