Forums > Model Colloquy > Well wheres the CD?? its been over a month!

Model

Emma DeeDee

Chelmsford, Massachusetts, US

Digital photography! It’s supposed to save time and money right?? And make the whole process easier, TFP/CD shoots, meaning no money is involved but the model gets a copy of the CD or photos from the shoot for his or her own use right? Well how long should it take for the model to get the CD?

Over a month ago now I went on a shoot with a MM photographer who calls himself professional, who said it would take two weeks for me to get the CD. Now it takes about 10 min to burn a CD, so two weeks sounded like a long time, but I said ok and was on my way. After 3 weeks and no mail I contacted him, he said he was “sorry he forgot.â€? Forgot... yes… he forgot, then he went on to say “I will write it on my calendar so I remember to send it.â€? Really… I don’t think he did because it has been over a month since the shoot and still no photos. I feel scammed. I traveled to work with the photographer who approached me, spent money on coming home from University, then more money on gas to travel to his small studio in MA. I worked with him for 3 hours, and for what? I have not yet gotten anything out of it. No photographs, nothing.

Has anyone else had this experience? How long should it take to get a CD from a shoot, REALLY? Sorry to rant but I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Oct 10 05 10:30 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Patience is a virtue.

If he said two weeks, he should deliver in two weeks. However, a month isn't really that long for a CD of edited shots.  If this was a TFP, it's going to be low priority. People have to eat.

Oct 10 05 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

With all due respect, being in business for myself, 2 weeks is not a long time. If the photographer took a hundred or so shots of you, he may have experimented with bracketing (we still do it...those of us that used to shoot filme) and needs to look through the shots to make sure they all came out to his liking and nothing erooneous is in the background, etc. Maybe you blinked on a few. If he shot in RAW mode, they need to be processed to j-pegs first so you can even open them. So, it's really not a matter of just burning a CD.

AND, if he is a busy professional, it is possible he "forgot", he could have gotten swamped and lost track of time. Sure, the professional thing to do is keep track of what he needs to do and e-mail that he is running behind. I've done it, it works quite well. But, give the guy a chance...it's about mutual respect.

Oct 10 05 10:41 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Well, I generally tell models a week. Only so I can go through and make sure that I don't send the bad ones. I also might tinker and crop a few. But no more than a week. This is when I mail the pics out. Now, there's a model who lives in my town, only has emailed images because we keep missing each other. But, I will see her this evening and I have the disk in my purse. It's been 3 weeks. I feel bad and I call her every week about it.  I never forget. But it's no excuse. My mom also lives down the street, but I almost never see her. It's just being busy.

But I've had to wait a month before. If he said he forgot.....and he is a working professional, he may have actually forgot. Did he email you any proofs in the interim? I usually do, in the first night or two.

When I work TFP as a model, I understand there is work done in post, so I allow that time. There are some photographers who burn me a disk on the spot. There are some who take longer and I get less. There is one photographer who sent me a DVD slideshow of my images and I can't use them. Oh. Well.

In this situation: Chalk it up to experience. Move on. You will get your images at some point, but don't judge the rest of them by the way one experience has gone.
Because now, you can ask questions and bargain for what's acceptable to you in a TFP situation. If you want to guarantee a return in a timely manner: pay for it.

DISK DELIVERED!

Oct 10 05 10:41 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Sure digital photography takes less time to see the images, however any photographer with a grain of dignity needs that additional 1 - 2 weeks to edit, crop, copyright, file, edit again and burn before the images are ready to be presented to the model.

Best thing to do is stay in touch with the photographer.

Not that he/she will intentionally forget about you, but by staying in contact you'll know the progress.

Oct 10 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

As long as the goods are delivered when agreed, whether 1 day or 1 month, that is acceptable.

As a film shooter, I know how easy it can be to bite off more than I can chew.

Many people, myself included, over-estimate what they are capable of doing. By making unattainable promises, they often are fooling themselves as much as they are others, as they truly believe they can carry it out.

Of course, there are times when the excuses are to cover for some misdeed.

Oct 10 05 10:49 am Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

As long as you are keeping in contact with him.
I usually get my disk on the spot as well. I tell them i can email the ones i like so he or she can edit..if not then i'll just edit them myself or get someone to

i thought when a photographer ask you tfcd i thought he's more in it for him meaning he doesn't have to edit the pics..but if he has pride like i do ...i would go through them and take out the bad ones. lol Next time..maybe have them sign an additional agreement maybe> just a suggestion...

Oct 10 05 10:55 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

Two weeks really isn't a long time at all.

Oct 10 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

I've made the mistake of not agreeing on a time or over-promising on the delivery for my humble little TFPs...now I say 14-21 days up front.

Also, I do not "burn a disk", as this really just a storage medium.

As long as they have a high speed connection, I upload the photos to my webserver and send the model a link to download the zip file. It is pretty simple, but yet I get alot of flack for not mailing them a CD. If they want a CD, they can burn as many as they want from the file that they downloaded. Any other photogs do this or have any suggestions for making the model understand that this is okay?

Oct 10 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't think two weeks is a long time. I have models that I shot with back in May / June who have not even made their selections from the images we created. I will assume that you're in a hurry to get your stuff which is understandable but you do have to be patient.

I usually clean up one or two images the day of the shoot and email them to the model to hold them over. Then I put everything else on my server so they can make their selections, they fill out my image seleciton form and I'll get them the CD as soon as I can.

I often tell models 2 weeks but sometimes it's not possible because if a paying job comes along guess what get priority? I would say stay in touch, but don't call everyday or you'll find you'll be talking to voicemail more often than you'd like.

I had a model call me in 3 days after a shoot when I clearly told her it would be 2 weeks before she heard anything from me or got a link to her preview images. She called again 2 days later, and again a day later. Then she told me; "I thought we took more pictures than this" I told her to check the sequence of the numbers on the images if she thinks I'm holding images back, but why would I?

I tend get the "where are my pics - it's been 3 hours since we shot" inquiries from test shoots.

Oct 10 05 11:06 am Link

Model

Semora

Wil Fernandez wrote:
As long as they have a high speed connection, I upload the photos to my webserver and send the model a link to download the zip file. It is pretty simple, but yet I get alot of flack for not mailing them a CD. If they want a CD, they can burn as many as they want from the file that they downloaded. Any other photogs do this or have any suggestions for making the model understand that this is okay?

I think expressing to them they can download the zip file is a great idea. But you have to remember some models don't know how or understand why. So tell those in big bold words " I WILL SEND YOU THE LINK THROUHG YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. YOU CAN CLICK ON THE LINK. IT WILL PROMPT YOU TO DOWNLOAD THE FILES. CLICK YES. CLICK OPEN FOLDER TO SEE IMAGES OR JUST SAVE TO DESKTOP TO UNZIP LATER BY RIGHT CLICKING ON THE ZIP FILE" hmm..that still may be confusing. HEck just tell them 2 bucks for the disk and stamp. lol smile

Oct 10 05 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

I was asked this by another model who got burned (not saying that this is what's happening to you) a couple of times like this. This is what I told her. When you go on a shoot you will usually sign a release. Nobody says a model cannot have the photographer sign a promisory contract with you designating exactly what your getting in trade. Give the photographer a reasonable amount of time, and if he doesn't come through, then you can start being forward about promises not being held up. If the photographer is producing something you really want for your book, remember, patience is a virtue, going full steam can hurt you.

Oct 10 05 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Mark Wiles

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I've stopped sending out CDs unless a model asks for them.  Most I've worked with only want the web sized images anyway so I just email them a zip file.  However if a model asks I will certainly get her any full res images she wants.

Oct 10 05 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

I have an easy rule. I don't go to sleep the night of the shoot until I have emailed the model at least 5 samples from the shoot.

Now if I was a model and I had doubts about getting my images from a TFP, I would probably take the photographers release with me and tell him/her that they would get it when I received my images. I don't think that would be unreasonable.

Eric Foltz

Oct 10 05 12:12 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Why don't you ask him to email you a couple of shots so at least you have something to put into your portfolio. Same thing happened to me. The only difference was he didn't edit the pictures. It's been over a month. I nagged him about sending me a few. Now, I'm waiting to see the rest.

Oct 10 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
I have an easy rule. I don't go to sleep the night of the shoot until I have emailed the model at least 5 samples from the shoot.

Now if I was a model and I had doubts about getting my images from a TFP, I would probably take the photographers release with me and tell him/her that they would get it when I received my images. I don't think that would be unreasonable.

Eric Foltz

That's a good approach.  Personally, I get pretty tired of hearing that it takes two weeks, four weeks, and longer for photographers to get these images out.  And on the same hand we have all these guys saying they don't use Photoshop.  Well, what the hell are they doing other than procrastinating?  I've had some models with godawful skin and it still took less than 15 minutes per image to retouch, resize and optimize for the web.  For the average model it takes me less than a minute or two per image.

Paul

Oct 10 05 05:43 pm Link

Model

-Katie-

Halifax, Massachusetts, US

Wil Fernandez wrote:
I've made the mistake of not agreeing on a time or over-promising on the delivery for my humble little TFPs...now I say 14-21 days up front.

Also, I do not "burn a disk", as this really just a storage medium.

I've had several photographers do this instead of burning a cd (which seems so much easier to me) and it also eliminated having to either mail the cd out or meet up again just for the cd.

I agree... it's a pretty simple concept!

Oct 10 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

did you ask at the outset?

Oct 10 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

"...who said it would take two weeks for me to get the CD."

RTFM, iow. wink

Paul

Oct 10 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

I shoot anywhere from 70-150 sometimes 200 images per model. Many times I will touch up almost every shot and burn it to disk. I will only release the untouched images to certain models who I have seen the work they can do in photoshop.  I've seen images slaughtered by models... It's my artwork, I want the model to have the finished images, not the cold shots.

I have been one of those photographers who took ages to get images to a model. and believe me - It's cause I was lazy and didn't set aside the time to take care of things. OR I over booked. 

I have made it a policy to get a CD to models within 2 weeks.   I end up sitting in front of a computer touching up images (mostly just levels) all night at least twice a week.

I've been seriously considering setting up an FTP site. just for ease of getting images to models, and cause CD's are a pain, both in the fact that I go through them like mad and in that I have to make an effort to get to the post office. Not fun.

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving a model a link to download from.

done rambling... wink

Oct 10 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

Donna Ricci

Burbank, California, US

Saryn Angel wrote:
I have been one of those photographers who took ages to get images to a model. and believe me - It's cause I was lazy and didn't set aside the time to take care of things. OR I over booked.

And kharmically, poor Saryn has had EVIL models who keep her negatives for weeks, no YEARS without giving them back cause they are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!

But at least they kept them in acid free proof sheets in cool storage

*begs Saryns' forgiveness*

Oct 10 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Emily Danielle wrote:
Digital photography! It’s supposed to save time and money right?? And make the whole process easier, TFP/CD shoots, meaning no money is involved but the model gets a copy of the CD or photos from the shoot for his or her own use right? Well how long should it take for the model to get the CD?

Over a month ago now I went on a shoot with a MM photographer who calls himself professional, who said it would take two weeks for me to get the CD. Now it takes about 10 min to burn a CD, so two weeks sounded like a long time, but I said ok and was on my way. After 3 weeks and no mail I contacted him, he said he was “sorry he forgot.â€? Forgot... yes… he forgot, then he went on to say “I will write it on my calendar so I remember to send it.â€? Really… I don’t think he did because it has been over a month since the shoot and still no photos. I feel scammed. I traveled to work with the photographer who approached me, spent money on coming home from University, then more money on gas to travel to his small studio in MA. I worked with him for 3 hours, and for what? I have not yet gotten anything out of it. No photographs, nothing.

Has anyone else had this experience? How long should it take to get a CD from a shoot, REALLY? Sorry to rant but I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Well did you pay for the photos? Otherwise you will get them when the photographers paying customers get theirs first.

Oct 10 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

TonyKorleonePhotoVideo

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Oct 10 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Don't promise two weeks if you aren't going to deliver in two weeks.  Everyone gets busy, everyone has tight schedules.  If you tell a model that she will have hercd in two weeks, then you should deliver it in two weeks, if somethingcomes up and you can't you should contact her and tell her, hey, somethings came up, my schedule got tight, i's going to be a little longer than two weeks, it's only right.  The model didn't pay for the prints, but the photographer didn't pay the model either, it's a trade of time, travel, etc.  Bottom line, if you can't keep your promise, then contact the individual(s) and let them know it's going to take a little longer.  It's just good business and common courtesy.

Oct 10 05 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

regarding cd's..  and mailing

a great idea has come to me from another photog.. he puts blank label on bubble envelope w/stamps... and at the shoot has model fill in label after she signs model release..  so whe he does burn cd..,, simply drop it into preaddressed and stamped envelope and ba da boom bada bing..  what a stroke of genius....

Oct 11 05 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Well did you pay for the photos? Otherwise you will get them when the photographers paying customers get theirs first.

If they're that busy, maybe they shouldn't be doing TFP.  They made time to shoot, they need to make time to get the images out.

Paul

Oct 11 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

If they're that busy, maybe they shouldn't be doing TFP.  They made time to shoot, they need to make time to get the images out.

Paul

The photographer could have shot the model who started this thread and then was given several paying jobs after her.

Oct 11 05 12:39 am Link

Model

na52

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

Exactly! especially since they find time to put some images onto their sites/profiles!....and no..they aren't doing it so the model can go look..

Oct 11 05 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

theda wrote:
Patience is a virtue.

If he said two weeks, he should deliver in two weeks. However, a month isn't really that long for a CD of edited shots.  If this was a TFP, it's going to be low priority. People have to eat.

I try and set a delivery date, but shit happens and dates get pushed back, just like when a model re-schedules a shoot because they skin his/her knees playing softball or a motorcycle accident or who knows what.

It benefits no one to sit around and worry about things you have no control over. I may have one photo shoot a week on top of the live performance I shoot every week or I may have four models I'm shooting during the week on top of the live performance I shoot every week, either way, the model gets the work when I'm done.

Every single model I’ve worked with has been completely understanding of this and this makes then head and shoulders above the rest. In fact, that’s part of why I chose to photograph them.

Oct 11 05 01:04 am Link

Model

Semora

TFCD= TIME FOR CD. You gave him your time right away..so you should get your CD right away. Unless he said "Let me edit them first and take out your bad ones" if you agree, then wait a minute. If not he should burn that CD asap. Unless he was disappointed with the images and didn't really care. I know i web design and did a couple sites for free. I tell them from the beginning if i get a paying project it WILL delay our process. Money always speeds up the process with me wink

Oct 11 05 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Semora wrote:
TFCD= TIME FOR CD. You gave him your time right away..so you should get your CD right away.

I've turned down models who have made such demands. If they can't wait the allotted time I tell them, then I'll be happy to move on.

Oct 11 05 11:30 am Link

Model

Emma DeeDee

Chelmsford, Massachusetts, US

I had no problem with two weeks, he said he would touch up 10 photos, and he requested me, therefore he should have done his part, I did mine by showing up on time ready to work, he keeps putting off sending me my photos, hell I don't even care if he just emails them to me, he put them all on his computer when I was still at the studio!!!!!!!!

If you say you are going to do something, you do it, if your running behind let someone know, or they will give you a bad rep. It's not right to leave people hanging when they have done something for you and leave them with nothing, and honestly I dont have anything good to say about the way he worked.

Oct 11 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Emily Danielle wrote:
I had no problem with two weeks, he said he would touch up 10 photos, and he requested me, therefore he should have done his part, I did mine by showing up on time ready to work, he keeps putting off sending me my photos, hell I don't even care if he just emails them to me, he put them all on his computer when I was still at the studio!!!!!!!!

If you say you are going to do something, you do it, if your running behind let someone know, or they will give you a bad rep. It's not right to leave people hanging when they have done something for you and leave them with nothing, and honestly I dont have anything good to say about the way he worked.

See, I agree with you here.

Two weeks is NOT a long time to make you wait.

HOWEVER, that is not the point. The point is, he promised the photos in 2 weeks. If they could not be delivered in 2 weeks, he should have made the effort to notify you and give you an updated delivery date and stick to it.

I totally understand your point-of-view. If you give your word that you will do something by a certain date and time, then you need to keep your word. Period. If otehr circumstances in life prevent you from keeping your word, notify the other party and do your best to fulfill your obligations as soon as possible. Simple.

Oct 11 05 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

When is someone gonna travel to see me? sad

Oct 11 05 05:01 pm Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

I just received a cd yesterday. I did the shoot 10 months ago. I also went to him for the shoot, 2 hours away.

Oct 11 05 05:03 pm Link

Model

Semora

Farenell Photography wrote:

I've turned down models who have made such demands. If they can't wait the allotted time I tell them, then I'll be happy to move on.

True. I guess it all depends on the prior agreement. I know i want my work/pix asap(i always bring a disk just in case). I'm an artist as well and i'm sure when i sign an agreement with a client whether it's free or paid i give them a date and BAMM they have it! Word of mouth, BABY! Don't want it to get out that i'm lazy and don't keep my word. I'm not gonna lie...there has been a time a client bugged the hell out of me when i gave them a time and date, I made their a$$ wait a minute. I only have a 8 seconds of patience in me. Can any one help? hmm

Oct 11 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Semora wrote:
TFCD= TIME FOR CD. You gave him your time right away..so you should get your CD right away. Unless he said "Let me edit them first and take out your bad ones" if you agree, then wait a minute. If not he should burn that CD asap.

I'm not sure how many dudes that take pride in any of there work isn't going to burn you a cd on the spot. A lot of photographers will but not any I know that value their work will.

If you can't wait, I agree with the other dude, move on. There are too many; on both sides - model and photographer, that will give you just what you want you don't have to deal with me the photographer or her the model.

Oct 11 05 05:17 pm Link

Model

Semora

BURN MY DAMN DISK!!! lol
Gotta pay. gotta pay.
YIPPEEEEE>money ! I LOVE MONEY!!!! sorry..got carried away. Artist are PAIN IN THE A$$!!! We are what makes the world go ROUND!!!..

Oct 11 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Personally, I think two weeks is too long to wait, even considering the time it takes to edit them. I get the images edited and to the model in under 5 days without exception.

When I'm dont shooting with a model we both go through ALL the images we shot (many photogs don't allow the model to see all the images, which I think is weird) and we choose the best images, I edit these images and get them to her ASAP!
Waiting a month is rediculous.

Oct 11 05 05:28 pm Link

Model

Semora

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Personally, I think two weeks is too long to wait, even considering the time it takes to edit them. I get the images edited and to the model in under 5 days without exception.

When I'm dont shooting with a model we both go through ALL the images we shot (many photogs don't allow the model to see all the images, which I think is weird) and we choose the best images, I edit these images and get them to her ASAP!
Waiting a month is rediculous.

I agree.

Oct 11 05 05:31 pm Link