Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos Matter?

Model

Jessie Wray

Richmond, California, US

Just wondered how much it affects a model's career by having tattoos

jessie

Nov 06 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Not to me....I love body art

Edit: I hope you find someone to shoot you as you deserve to be shot Jessie

Nov 06 05 02:01 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

1 or 2 , no probs, but the more, the more select your work  market becomes indeed. [ unless you have a photoshop arteest around]

Nov 06 05 02:17 am Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

There's a thread about this already.

But hell I don't see the problem. There's always the wonder of photoshop and makeup that's used especially to cover tattoos.

Nov 06 05 06:11 am Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you're up for a casting for a lingerie shoot for a department store, I can guarantee you won't get the job with tattoos.  They don't have time/desire/money for Photoshop "arteests" They are about getting the image out there, and there are PLENTY of UNtatted models around.  It ALL depends on what type of work you want to do. If you're considering the commercial world....DON"T.  By the time you've gotten a few major gigs because you are UNinked, you'll have changed your mind about the whole thing.  That said--I think tats CAN be hot, and if you want a REALLY small discreet one somewhere, it won't kill you.  BUT...it CAN make the difference in a mainstream job market.

Nov 06 05 06:34 am Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

THEY HAVE STUFF TO COVER THEM UP.

that is part of my modeling bag now...lol

Nov 06 05 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Visualconcepts

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I love body art. I love workin with it. I dont see a problem with it.

Nov 06 05 10:21 am Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

Tattoos or no, either way works for me smile

Nov 06 05 10:24 am Link

Model

Kerosene Deluxe

Langley, British Columbia, Canada

I have never had problems finding work really but then again I specialize in 'alternative' modelling..I have 3 tats one of which is a large chestpiece..

Nov 06 05 10:27 am Link

Model

AyeJay UK

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Body art is cool but i find a lot of peoples tattoos can never be considered art. If you live in the Uk im sure a lot of people have seen the craze over the past 2 years where it is actually less common to not have a tattoo. I consider a lot of peoples tattoos chav

Nov 06 05 01:09 pm Link

Model

Mystic Princess

Atascadero, California, US

I do not think tattoos matter because I have 2 on my back and still getting work. I do think if you get more than 1 or 2 you might have trouble getting work because the photographer will have to pose you so that they do not show or use photoshop to remove them.

Nov 06 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Hart

Port Republic, New Jersey, US

Tatoos are acceptanle witjh my mazons and Barbarians nbut only if they are not modern, Dragons are OK but hearts and roses are not. I do uise temporary tatoos in some cses. You can use the temps if a tatoo is needed without a lifetime commitment.

Nov 09 05 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Brian Brant

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Either way! Tattoos can be make some photos distracting but then again, there been a few tattoos that I involved the whole shoot around the tattoo.

Nov 09 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Inamourada Flux wrote:
There's a thread about this already.

But hell I don't see the problem. There's always the wonder of photoshop and makeup that's used especially to cover tattoos.

A lot of shoots are still done with film, and no photoshop work done.  Tattoos are often pretty, but large ones are impossible to remove, even with photoshop, and have a natural look to your skin.

Post production cost will often be a factor in hiring a model.

Nov 09 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Jessie Wray wrote:

jessie

Depends on the career you want. If you want to do runway and fashion, it could have a big effect. In the glamour game, it makes much less difference, and in fetish it is practically a prerequisite.
  When I first started in this business, in the Dark Ages, a tattoo or piercing below the ears was the kiss of death. Today, it is hard to find a girl over 17 who does not have a tattoo of some sort. Not all that long ago, one never saw a navel piercing. Right now, I cannot remember the last time I saw a model without one.
  Your tats are lovely, and with your look, they should not be a detriment.

Nov 09 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I can't imagine that it would not open some doors - and partly close others.

Speaking only for myself as an amateur who has hired models and done TFP - I shoot for natural models placed into beautiful natural settings.  And for my OWN shots - Tattoos can be problematic - It becomes a matter of posing and how you place the model's hair for example.  But, if a model is great to work with - a few small tat's are such a minor issue that I disregard them as even a potential problem.

However, I spend a lot of my shooting time doing TFP/CD shots for the models own needs and their own desires during a session.  (It's amazing how many models have said something like "I've always wanted to try . . . . .  But, none of the photographers have wanted to do anything but their own ideas")   

I'm happy to do these and in several instances, the model wanted to try to get some good outdoor shots with their tattoos highlighted.  Many of those turned out fine and the model's seemed to be very happy with the results.

A person with a major tattoo - well, it just wouldn't work with what I am looking for.  And, as others have indicated, it certainly would seem to have some effect in some commercial arenas - where a model would be going up against untattooed models.

VintageV

Nov 10 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jessie Wray wrote:

jessie

If anyone gives you grief, you can count on me always being around ready with my camera...if you come to LA.

Nov 10 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Versatility is the key.  As long as they do not take away from the vision of the photog, it's okay.  It's just like anything else, if you can fit into a photogs vision, he/she can use you.  Most people do not want to spend hours editing tattoos, if there is a candidate right next to you who has none.  There is also body makeup.

BTW, this is not just for tattoos, someone may have black hair and the vision requires, red hair.  As long as it can be adjusted without a who lot of extra effort, no prob.

Nov 10 05 01:42 pm Link

Model

Christen S

Oakland Park, Florida, US

I've had many snooty photographers blow me off because of my tats.....Saying that I wont get work with them......I look at it this way....I loove my tattoos and they're not going ANYWHERE....just a work of art.

Nov 11 05 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

difference wrote:
I've had many snooty photographers blow me off because of my tats.....Saying that I wont get work with them......I look at it this way....I loove my tattoos and they're not going ANYWHERE....just a work of art.

In all my years of working in advertising (i'm an art director), I have yet to come across a model comp card that showed the model with a tattoo. Most talent agencies won't even bother because they know that it's just more work to cover them up than it's worth. If girl A and girl B look alot alike but girl A doesn't have a tattoo and girl B does, guess which one gets representation? Guess which one is more marketable? So while you may love your tattoos, the hard fact is they will diminish your chances of getting paid work.

Nov 11 05 03:20 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Either way I shoot them.  When I shoot for the clothing website I prefer none. but the location stuff either way goes.   I do find models with tatoos tend to be more open about shooting differantly then non tatooed models

Nov 11 05 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

I have posted this here many times. I have clients in the fashion and cosmetics business. They all state the same thing, they do NOT want models with tattoos. These clients spend a lot of money every year on models, upwards of $800,000. So you can see where the money goes. They control the purse strings and they are the ones that write the contracts.

Nov 11 05 04:30 am Link