Forums > Photography Talk > 25 of the best photography tips ever

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

WHAT?  You really expected 25 tips?

Can we at least try?

I'm tired of all the bitching about TFP, whose camera is better, etc.

Let's make a list.

Here's my contribution, if you are going to shoot outside in direct sunlight, at least have the model turn their back to the sun and light up the darkside with a flash until you understand light and contrast a bit better.

If you are going to shoot inside, get the model as far away from the motel wall as possible as your flash will leave a terrible back shadow.

O.K.  its up to the rest of you to come up with 23 more tips.

GO!!! 

And no arguing!!!  Just tips.

Mark

Nov 29 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Gunfitr wrote:

Can we at least try?

Let's make a list.

Here's my contribution, if you are going to shoot outside in direct sunlight, at least have the model turn their back to the sun and light up the darkside with a flash until you understand light and contrast a bit better.

If you are going to shoot inside, get the model as far away from the motel wall as possible as your flash will leave a terrible back shadow.

GO!!! 

Mark

Marry a very rich woman. Her friends will love your photography, and give you lots of paying jobs.

Nov 29 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Lens flare may not rear it's ugly head until post production, so make sure you are well in front (or behind) your lighting, or you can use barn doors, gobos or an assistant to shield your lens.

Nov 29 05 11:44 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Have an SLR camera and learn about f-stop and depth of field.

Nov 29 05 11:45 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Shoot one for the client and then one for yourself.

The two things may not be the same thing so why fret about it.

Nov 29 05 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Gunfitr wrote:
If you are going to shoot inside, get the model as far away from the motel wall as possible as your flash will leave a terrible back shadow. Mark

I'm not shooting in a motel. The two adjacent walls in my studio are dark, not white painted. I use reflectors to add bounced light under the chin or behind arms and such to fill in darker areas. 

But to answer your post about moving the model away from the wall, I've been told to move the light closer to the model for softer shadows. But I'm new and could be wrong.

Nov 29 05 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Harrison Sweazea wrote:
or you can use barn doors, gobos or an assistant to shield your lens.

How many sandbags do I need on a c-stand to clamp him up there?

Nov 29 05 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Loren Scott Photography

Valley Center, California, US

For the digital photographers... After you have saved the images from your flash card to your hard drive, always make a backup of the images to a CD, and make sure that the CD is readable BEFORE you delete them from the flash card. 

This way, when your notebook computer gets stolen off of your desk during business hours (as mine was yesterday) you won't lose all of the images from your last three photo shoots (as I did). 

Live and learn.

--Loren--

Nov 30 05 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Gunfitr wrote:
if you are going to shoot outside in direct sunlight, at least have the model turn their back to the sun and light up the darkside with a flash until you understand light and contrast a bit better.

Well... I dont mean to argue, but why use such an artificial light source as a flash (sometimes cold and unflattering) when one can use adjacent light colored walls and a variety of reflectors to shine a more natural light on that dark side... there's my tip... wink

Nov 30 05 12:05 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Hi Mark..  smile

1. Would to be sure you remove your lens cap... Yep,...I've done that one a few times in front of people, and each time I look really stupid..  wink

2.  Use the custom made lens hood for your lens at all times... it protects the lens from damage, by absorbing direct impacts, and shields the front element from dust & rain, and reduces flare quite a bit..

3. I never use a UV filter on my lenses.. they soften the image, change the colour ballance of the lens, and increase flare. In all my years, I have never had a stone fly up and strike my lens, shattering it....and I used to cover Indy CART racing, and dirt track racing a lot several years back..

4. & 5 Never go without a backup.  I never have less than two cameras in my inventory at one time. (same thing with hand held light meters, flashes, flash cords, etc..) For one, having two bodies allows you to use two different lenses, with one camera w/ lens on each shoulder.. In addition to this, it is advisable to use two of the same kind of camera if you are using two cameras. The settings, and opperation of the cameras being different, can screw up some shots..

6. Use brand named lenses for best results. If you own a Canon, put a Canon on your Canon...not a Sigma, or a Tamron.. etc.. there have been compatability issues with lenses that don't work with the newer camera bodies.

7. Gaffer tape, great stuff... you can use it more than once.. if you keep it clean, you can apply it to anything.. like an equipment case,...or light stand,...and when you are in a pinch, and need a piece of tape, you can pull it off your..what ever you put it on, and reuse it..  smile  Also,... use that stuff instead of "duct tape" which is nasty crappy icky stuff.. unlike gaffer tape, it peels paint off of walls, it doesn't resist water that well,...it is too shiny,..and leaves behind a residue from what ever they use to make it stick.. Gaffer tape costs a lot more per roll, but on the job when you are in a hurry to set up,... and you need something to stick,... you will only wish you hadn't been so cheep when you can't get what ever it is to stay in place.

8. When working with studio strobes in public, tape down the power and sync cords with gaffer tape so that no one trips on it...and makes you have to call a lawyer, because you are now being sued to replace someone's hip..

9.. Also when working with studio strobe lights in public,... don't use light weight stands.. use heavy duty stands, and have them sandbagged, or counterballanced at the bottom for stability..

10. When driving to a job in the ghetto,..put a "for sale sign" on your car that reads something like...for sale.. needs new transmission, and head gasket work.. otherwise an o.k. runner aside from the flood damage..  wink So far, so good. big_smile

11. Do not put any nifty looking stickers on your car that announces to the world that you have nice photo equipment in your car.

12. BLACK! Black is a nice colour,...in fact, it is my favorite colour..  wink  Keep everything black.. Black is also the least noticable colour to be seen by casual observation..especially in your car.

13. When working on location, outside, where there is a lot of people around, interlock all of your gear by their straps.. like a lens case and your stand bag.. and your camera bag...so if someone decides to grab something, he'll have to drag everything else along with his dumb ass which will not go unnoticed.. wink

14. Keep a list of all the serial numbers of your equipment handy.. keep a copy with you, and one at home/ office..

15. Keep a business card in each major equipment case.

16. When working with subjects from a distance, use walkie talkies to communicate.. You can talk into one end, and they can hear you a lot better than you having to shout all the time..

17. Keep an updated portfolio with you pretty much all the time.. along with a business planner.. I prefer the "Franklin Covey" system.

18. Get to know your competition on a friendly basis... no need to be mean to the guy next door who is trying to do what you are trying to do. Also,... for those who own equipment of the same brand as you,..and may have equipment that you don't own yourself, you might be able to rent something from him if you aren't a jerk..

19. IF you are incapable of a certain task given to you,...refer the job to someone who can do it better than you. Two things that are good usually come of this.. 1. The client respects you more than ever, and thanks you for looking out for their needs, and the photographer or studio who you referred the job to will never forget you..they may send work your way, often they do.

20. This is true in my field of work.. I use Mac computers... I switched nearly 5 years ago, because I was on the "outside" looking in,..because I used a PC.. Mac is also a selling point on your service..because it is pretty much "industry standard"**.
....**Not everyone in it uses Mac, but everyone I know does..

21. If you want to learn the way I did,... learn to take criticism from (here is the catcher).. people who have a real clue as to what they are talking about.. Just putting your work up in some website forum for critique is usually a good waste of your time.. Seek out a person who's work you really appreciste, and go to them for critique.  Internet forums have such a vast spectrum,..& you will probably get several confusing comments, and or dumb comments like "cool picture".. when you aren't asking if it is a cool picture.. you are asking for a critique of it.

22. To learn a lot more than what you can learn in a classroom, or a photography book.,...try to be an assistant for a local studio.. some established photographer/ photography studio. Often, you can use their equipment, and studio too.. You will learn what you put into being an assistant..

23. If you are assisting for a photographer, keep your business cards in your wallet. Do not hand them to anyone while working for them. You don't do the "talking". You refer all questions to the guy in charge from people who matter. From passers bye, tell them that you are busy and you can't talk right now.  Do not watch the subject/ look at them..because too many people watching them makes them feel uncomfortable.. Occupy yourself by watching to see if the lights are going off,..& if the photographer may need something soon.. Be "Johnny on the spot"..  smile We like that in our assistants.  wink  When you aren't shooting, pratice how to set up their equipment, and how they put it away, so everything is exactly where they are used to finding it in a hurry.

24. When you are taking your pictures.... pretend that there is no such thing as photoshop. "Get it in the original image" / "get it in the negative".  Go to great lengths to take a damn good shot. It will be worth it in the end, after everyone has gone home.

25. Have at least a 2 million dollar "umbrella insurance coverage" for liability, in addition to your equipment coverage.  Bad things can happen, and add up quickly..  sad

I could go on but, 25 is the limit..  wink

JP

Nov 30 05 01:03 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Remove the lens cap.

Nov 30 05 02:06 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Loren Scott Photography wrote:
For the digital photographers... After you have saved the images from your flash card to your hard drive, always make a backup of the images to a CD, and make sure that the CD is readable BEFORE you delete them from the flash card. 

This way, when your notebook computer gets stolen off of your desk during business hours (as mine was yesterday) you won't lose all of the images from your last three photo shoots (as I did).

If you have time save them to separate hard drives and still back it up for cd's do not work sometimes and hard drives break.

I have been put back in editing but luckily things were triple saved and a cd set sent to my mom's house for safe keeping.

Nov 30 05 02:11 am Link

Photographer

JonesVision

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

John Paul... Thank you very much. I for one will certainly benefit from your input. Take care.

Nov 30 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Get the best glass you can afford.  Get a damn good tripod.  What more is there? bs

Nov 30 05 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Study other people's photographs.  Study paintings and drawings.  Take a drawing class.

Nov 30 05 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

lll wrote:
Remove the lens cap.

bobby sargent wrote:
Get the best glass you can afford.  Get a damn good tripod.  What more is there? bs

Brian Diaz wrote:
Study other people's photographs.  Study paintings and drawings.  Take a drawing class.

Pretend your camera is a Machine Gun......
Practice firing bursts of 3 and full bursts like 20 or more...
It will try to pull up to the right on ya!!
So hold it Firm!!!!

(:----------

Hj

Nov 30 05 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

pay attention to light, even when you're not shooting.

Nov 30 05 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

learn with film. you pay more attention to what you're shooting and how you're doing it

Nov 30 05 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Zach Watkins wrote:
learn with film. you pay more attention to what you're shooting and how you're doing it

You mean, "Pay attention to what you're shooting and how you're doing it," right?  The medium doesn't dictate the amount of attention paid.

Nov 30 05 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Erick D Blair Sr

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Always use a lens hood!!!

Erick -aka- FotoPixels

Nov 30 05 06:10 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I think someone else should write this one but he/she is not here.

So....

Don't suck.
and don't copy people.

But most of all.
DO NOT Copy people who suck.

(Don't pay attention to me.   I suck when I sleepwalk.)

Nov 30 05 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Don Vaillancourt

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Gunfitr wrote:

Can we at least try?

Let's make a list.

GO!!! 

Mark

Eh!!!  You got two tips in there, is that allowed?

Never thought of using a hotel room as a shooting location.  That's a cool tip.  And cheaper than a studio.

Nov 30 05 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Don Vaillancourt

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Zach Watkins wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
You mean, "Pay attention to what you're shooting and how you're doing it," right?  The medium doesn't dictate the amount of attention paid.

I agree about using film.  You appreciate the pictures a lot more.  Hence, because you don't want to make the same mistake twice will pay attention.

Nov 30 05 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Erick D Blair Sr

Always use the best lens that's made for your camera. It's the most important thing for your images. Other then lighting.

Erick -aka- FotoPixels

Nov 30 05 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Don Vaillancourt wrote:
I agree about using film.  You appreciate the pictures a lot more.  Hence, because you don't want to make the same mistake twice will pay attention.

I reject the idea that using any particular medium means that you will not pay attention and that you will make the same mistakes twice.

Nov 30 05 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Go to law school instead

Nov 30 05 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Erick D Blair Sr

Bill Tracy wrote:
Go to law school instead

Mark will love that one... LOL

Nov 30 05 06:54 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

1.  Expose each frame like it is the only one you have.

2.  Do not blame the equipment, film, model, weather, government, God, Devil, or your mother for a bad photograph.  It is your fault.  Figure out what went wrong, then do it right next time.

3.  Vertical images have more use than horizontals.  Start with the camera vertical.

4.  All those rules about thirds and the Golden Mean can be approximated by not centering anything.

5.  Keep the viewer's eye inside the frame by not providing an easy path of escape.  If you can't do this in camera, do it post-prod.

6.  The soul is in the eyes.  Critical focus on the pupils is important.

7.  Do not depend on PhotoShop (or darkroom) to fix a bad image.  You might fool someone else, but you can't fool yourself.  Make the image good in-camera and make it better in PS (or DR).

8.  Do not purchase something that you do not specifically need.  And only then if you can't rent it.  The only thing you can buy to make better photographs is an education.

9.  Money talks - bullshit walks.  The best compliment to your work is when someone will give you money for it.

10.  Do your next shoot exposing only a dozen frames.  That takes luck out of the equation.

-Don

(Seems to me that ten is more than enough, and probably more than can be remembered when shooting anyway.)

Nov 30 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

I'm not shooting in a motel. The two adjacent walls in my studio are dark, not white painted. I use reflectors to add bounced light under the chin or behind arms and such to fill in darker areas. 

But to answer your post about moving the model away from the wall, I've been told to move the light closer to the model for softer shadows. But I'm new and could be wrong.

Gunfitr wrote:

Nope you're right.....getting the light closer will give you softer shadows, but your model should be at least 6 feet away from the background.

Nov 30 05 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Enjoy making photographs.  You're never going to make enough money at it to justify making it into just a job, so make sure every minute of it is fun and positive.

*this goes for models too actually.*

Nov 30 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

2.  Do not blame the equipment, film, model, weather, government, God, Devil, or your mother for a bad photograph.  It is your fault.  Figure out what went wrong, then do it right next time.

3.  Vertical images have more use than horizontals.  Start with the camera vertical.

4.  All those rules about thirds and the Golden Mean can be approximated by not centering anything.

5.  Keep the viewer's eye inside the frame by not providing an easy path of escape.  If you can't do this in camera, do it post-prod.

7.  Do not depend on PhotoShop (or darkroom) to fix a bad image.  You might fool someone else, but you can't fool yourself.  Make the image good in-camera and make it better in PS (or DR).

8.  Do not purchase something that you do not specifically need.  And only then if you can't rent it.  The only thing you can buy to make better photographs is an education.

9.  Money talks - bullshit walks.  The best compliment to your work is when someone will give you money for it.

10.  Do your next shoot exposing only a dozen frames.  That takes luck out of the equation.

-Don

(Seems to me that ten is more than enough, and probably more than can be remembered when shooting anyway.)

Great post!  Number 7.....a big think now is to take the shot and fix it later, I've heard too many photographers say that exact thing.

Nov 30 05 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Erick D Blair Sr

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

-Don

Number 6 is very important as well. You don't want to be a soft shooter...

Good one Don!

Erick -aka- FotoPixels

Nov 30 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Tavuk Hantaviro

My list is here:

Have camera ready when picture arrives.  Best camera is one you have ready.

See whole thing in the viewfinder - shape, colour, movement - then make picture.  Graphics and structure is more important than boobies.

Pretty girls and pretty pictures is not same thing.

Photo school is good but knowing art is better.  I go to museum in Tulce.

Only let people see best pictures.  Throw the rest away. 

Short list.  I am sorry.

Sincerely Yours,
Tavuk

Nov 30 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Tavuk Hantaviro wrote:
...Graphics and structure is more important than boobies...

Good point and well-illustrated by your avatar.

-D

Nov 30 05 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Snyder Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Make sure the cameras power is on before you try to take the picture.

Nov 30 05 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Erick D Blair Sr

Tavuk Hantaviro wrote:
Only let people see best pictures.

Sincerely Yours,
Tavuk

Best tip by far...

Erick

Nov 30 05 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Learn the basic principles of lighting.

Nov 30 05 07:59 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bill Tracy wrote:
Go to law school instead

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't do that.

Anyway, here are a few from me:

1) LOOK BEHIND THE DAMN MODEL.

Not everybody has a nice studio to shoot in. I understand that. You do the best you can with what you have. But if I can tell what store you shop at or what takeout restaurant you had dinner at from looking at background items, YOU MESSED UP. Put the shoes away, take the ashtray off the table, unplug the extension cord and CLEAR THE BACKGROUND.

2) ZITS = BAD.

Again, not everybody has a MUA (I usually don't.) And not everybody is a skilled makeup artist. But if I can see an unmistakeable skin blemish on your model which ISN'T there because this is some sort of art commentary on the meaning of beauty or whatever, YOU MESSED UP. Skin softening and other more advanced techniques are debateable. Pimples aren't. There are inexpensive or even free programs that allow you to use cloning tools or healing brushes or whatever to correct things like this. FIX IT.

3) SWIMSUITS DO NOT BELONG IN THE HOUSE.

If there's a swimsuit on the model, I had better see some water or some sand or at least a nice deck or hot tub or something. The only exception to this rule is agency submission pictures, which usually require a swimsuit against a plain background.

4) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON"T DO HEADLIGHT SHOTS.

Headlight shots are when you put the model right up against some surface and use an on-camera flash pointed right at her from five feet away and get washed-out skin, weird if not red eyes, and knife-edged shadows which are sharper than the model. If you don't have studio lighting or at least a flash you can bounce, turn the flash OFF. Go buy some high-speed film if you have to: today's 400 and even 800 speed films are fantastic. Or turn your digicam's ISO equivalent way up. (I do most of my "Girls in Towels" pics at ISO 400.) A little grain is better than a headlight shot!

5) PAY ATTENTION TO THE EDGES OF THE FRAME.

Composition is an incredibly powerful tool and one which takes years if not a lifetime to master. I know *I* am barely credible at it most of the time. But look to see what is at the edges of the frame. Don't cut things off, including but not limited to model body parts and hair. If you just can't avoid having a tiny bit of a piece of furniture or a window or a pole or something enter the frame, clone it out later, don't leave it hanging in space.

Okay, I could get carried away with this, and it's not like *I* am an authority, so I'll stop now.

M

Nov 30 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

two of the best things i remember always.

You are as good as your last edit.

If you spend more than 5 mins. trying to make one shot work, forget about it and move on.

others include. Fashion doesnt mean "model wearing clothes". There is much much more to it than that. If it was that simple, the top jobs would be easy to get.

Use feet to zoom. Personal thing, after I realized zoom lenses made me lazy and didn't learn what I should about aperature vs. focal length vs. depth.

Shoot color, only if color is needed. Personal theory.

Make the photograph mean something other than forgettable. Super pretty isnt always the best thing.

Thats it I guess......

Some interesting respones on here.

Nov 30 05 10:19 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Smoke cigarettes.
Buy a BMW.
Use $10.00 words.
Shave your head.
Grow a goat.
Wear black.
Talk softly.
Buy a gun.
Turn Vegan.
Speak with an accent.
Date models.
Buy a small dog.
Drink tons of coffee.
Sleep in late.
Listen to acid jazz.
Wear cheap cologne.
Read Kerouac and Ginsberg.

Then go out, get a nice camera and that's it!

Nov 30 05 10:40 am Link