Forums > Model Colloquy > Model search

Model

Mandy Y

Los Angeles, California, US

has anyone heard anything about Model Search America?

Dec 14 05 10:54 pm Link

Model

Mandy Y

no one has heard about Model Search America?

Dec 15 05 10:58 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I googled it an not too much came up...

What do you want to know about it?

Dec 15 05 10:59 am Link

Model

Jenni L

Westerville, Ohio, US

Yes, they also just want money with no guarantee of anything.

Dec 15 05 11:25 am Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jenni L wrote:

yep one of the many scams

Dec 15 05 04:51 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

google anything like that...the resutls should tell you the obvious:

if it looks like poopy, smells like poopy, and tastes like poopy..it's probably be poopy smile

Dec 15 05 04:54 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

thier thing is they charge you over 1,000 dollars for three days to showcase yourself in front of agencies and they pick like 14 out of 500 people.

you do the math... 500 people at 1,000 a pop

nuthin but poopy to quote isabel...lol

Dec 15 05 04:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

OMG...it's such a joke.  You go to an "interview" and if they think you're hot, you get to stay for the presentation.  They show you some video footage of models on runways and blah, blah, blah.  In the end they tell you that you meet with over x-amount of agencies if you come to their event in Anytown, USA.  So, you have to pay around $300-$500 for the event plus you gotta pay to get there and your lodging and all that...they have a contest, one person wins out of hundreds.  Bottom line, it's a joke.

P.S: this is how it was about 5yrs ago when I used to go to those things...maybe they have changed, but I highly doubt it.

Dec 15 05 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
google anything like that...the resutls should tell you the obvious:

if it looks like poopy, smells like poopy, and tastes like poopy..it's probably be poopy smile

YUCK!  I was with you as far as look and smell, but stop there my dear...

Dec 15 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

scam 
a word way over used in the modeling industry..

model search... they promise you to get you in front of angency people..
and they do.....so not a scam...

if you happen to have the look the agency needs..you win..if not..money wasted..

so a poor value for sure, but a scam..

not at all..

Dec 15 05 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ivan123 wrote:

YUCK!  I was with you as far as look and smell, but stop there my dear...

It's an old Cheech and Chong routine....ANYONE here OLD ENOUGH to remember Cheech and Chong?The punch line is...after they have looked, smelled, and tasted the "poopy"  they walk away and say, "MAN, it's a good thing we didn't STEP in that!"

As far as the Model Search...I always tell potential models...You can get the same results by going to the agencies on their Open Call days-- for a lot less money.  If you're thinking an agency is going to pay you to move to NYC (or wherever they are based) KEEP DREAMING...So if the agency isn't in your area anyway, it's a great big waste.

Dec 15 05 05:48 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

GregBrown wrote:

Ivan123 wrote:
As far as the Model Search...I always tell potential models...You can get the same results by going to the agencies on their Open Call days-- for a lot less money.  If you're thinking an agency is going to pay you to move to NYC (or wherever they are based) KEEP DREAMING...So if the agency isn't in your area anyway, it's a great big waste.

preach!

Dec 15 05 08:07 pm Link

Model

Mandy Y

oh no...

I went to one of their interveiws with a friend not to interview
just to keep my friend company but the guy who was doing the
interviews asked me to go ahead and try it out since he liked my
look, so I went with the process and got in,
I didn't want to pay the 1600 of course
but my friend who went with me (also got in)
paid for my down payment of 560 to surprise me!!
She did it as a Christmas present to me,
and now i'm getting calls from them to pay the remaining
amount!!

the amount she paid is non-refundable too!!
what should i do!!??!!??!?!

Dec 15 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

CHIAN wrote:

GregBrown wrote:

Ivan123 wrote:

preach!

Wow!  How did you do that?  Because I never said that.  I don't know who said it.  I didn't even read it carefully, just enough to know I didn't say it.  So how did you get the little quote thing to work?

Dec 15 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

GregBrown wrote:

It's an old Cheech and Chong routine....ANYONE here OLD ENOUGH to remember Cheech and Chong?The punch line is...after they have looked, smelled, and tasted the "poopy"  they walk away and say, "MAN, it's a good thing we didn't STEP in that!"

This has NOTHING to do with AGE!  Anyone who was a fan of Cheech and Chong probably can't remember being a fan of Cheech and Chong.

Dec 15 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

i attended one of the open calls for model search america in dayton a few years ago, and i asked the fat italian guy who was doing the speaking and claimed to be a model about hiring a few of the models from his company he became irritated and acted as if he didnt know what to do.

Dec 16 05 04:25 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Mandy Yeung wrote:
oh no...

amount!!

Not enough information posted. But doesn't sound like a good start.  What's in the contract signed? Who signed it? You or her?

Do not communicate strictly through the phone. Time to start your paper trail.  All communication through writing, send via certified mail, cc a lawyer if possible (don't have to use one, but just so the other side sees that you're not messing around). For kicks and giggles, I'd also cc the District Attorney's office of the jurisdiction they're in. It's the DA's Office's responsibility to deal with unethical business practices.  Send that one via registered or certified mail so you have proof of mailing.  Keep all correspondence from the "agency" as well, including emails. Chronicle phone calls.

Read the contract and contact an attorney for advice how to negate the contract. You didn't sign for it, nor pay for the downpayment. As an ethical business, there should be some kind of "Buyer's Remorse" clause in there. But you gotta read it.  Carefully.

Dec 16 05 07:35 am Link

Model

avie

New York, New York, US

Why would anyone pay someone to get them 'seen' by an agency? You  pick up the phone , make an appointment or go to an open call and VOILA!! It's magic! You are seen by an agency. Some will say to send in your pics and if their interested they'll call you but some won't. Wilhelminia , for instance , has open call every week for new faces.

Dec 16 05 08:08 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

yes thats a pointI meant to make earlier if an agency like say  elite  has  models from ALL OVER THE WORLD BREAKING DOWN THERE DOOR WHY WOULD THEY NEED SCOUTS? the models come to them  if  anyone has  ever been to  an  open  call at  a major agency, you know that the  line often pours out  onto the street.its bestto save  your  money and buy a plane  ticket to new york and  go to the  agencys yourself.

Dec 16 05 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

hasan wrote:
YES THATS A POINT I MEANT TO MAKE EARLIER. IF AN AGENCY LIKE LETS SAY ELITE HAS MODELS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD BREAKING DOWN THERE DOOR WHY WOULD THEY NEED SCOUTS? THE MODELS COME TO THEM. IF ANYONES EVER BEEN TO AN OPEN CALL AT A MAJOR AGENCY, YOU KNOW THAT THE LINE OFTEN POORS OUT ONTO THE STREET. ITS BEST TO SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A PLANE TICKET TO NEW YORK AND GO TO THE AGENCYS YOURSELF.

Please dont use all caps in the forums

Thanks

https://www.modelmayhem.com/rules.php

SOME BASIC FORUM RULES

[1] No SHOUTING (Posting in all capital letters) Especially in thread titles. It's hard to read and just plain rude and annoying.

Dec 16 05 11:57 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Do not communicate strictly through the phone. Time to start your paper trail.  All communication through writing, send via certified mail, cc a lawyer if possible (don't have to use one, but just so the other side sees that you're not messing around). For kicks and giggles, I'd also cc the District Attorney's office of the jurisdiction they're in. It's the DA's Office's responsibility to deal with unethical business practices.  Send that one via registered or certified mail so you have proof of mailing.  Keep all correspondence from the "agency" as well, including emails. Chronicle phone calls.

Read the contract and contact an attorney for advice how to negate the contract. You didn't sign for it, nor pay for the downpayment. As an ethical business, there should be some kind of "Buyer's Remorse" clause in there. But you gotta read it.  Carefully.

solid advice. pay attention to this one Mandy!

Dec 17 05 12:23 am Link

Model

Ashley Jaime

You will end up spending alot of money,just like the 1000 of other people there.You will do one runway walk in front of a bunch of different agents that might not even look up.Then you walk in front of them holding 2 photos with the other 1000 people it moves very quickly.There are callbacks after that which means you'll show them your portfolio and they say the might contact you in a couple weeks.It is no guarentee even if they like you.It does help if you live in a major market area.You will have the most chance that they will invite you to their agency for further questions.

Dec 17 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Just like IMTA... It's a useless waste of money...Period.
"Organizations" like this prey on the innocence and vanity of young men and women; I find it to be a disturbing boil on the beautiful curvy butt that is the fashion industry.
Contact them (as mayanlee said) via the mail and tell them to go screw themselves.

Anybody remember "E MODELS?"
Same shit, slightly different smell.

Dec 17 05 11:27 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Sorry to hear your friend lost her money. Don't feel obligated to lose yours to make her feel better. Encourage her not to lose any more.

Dec 17 05 03:19 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

(Sigh.)

It's like what I'm always saying to people who forward those ridiculous mass-emails.  Always, always, ALWAYS do a Google search beforehand.

In the modelling industry, search for the name of the agency/contest/whatever plus "scam".

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 … gle+Search

Research is Good.

Dec 17 05 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Jenni L wrote:

Think if a photog' told you to pay him/her $1800.00 up front for a shoot, but told you that: "well, I can't guarantee that you'll get any pic's..."

What would you do ???

Paul

Dec 17 05 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

JM Dean wrote:

Please dont use all caps in the forums

Thanks

https://www.modelmayhem.com/rules.php

SOME BASIC FORUM RULES

[1] No SHOUTING (Posting in all capital letters) Especially in thread titles. It's hard to read and just plain rude and annoying.

sorry it was getting late i didnt mean to shout!

Dec 18 05 02:33 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hasan wrote:

sorry it was getting late i didnt mean to shout!

i hope thats better.

Dec 18 05 02:44 am Link

Model

Mandy Y

I talked to my friend, she said the initial amount she paid will not be refundable
and the second payment we are not obligated to pay, but she paid her fees up front (the full amount)
and even tho I told her this is a scam (From what i learned here) she insist on going because its her shot at her dream
and she wants me to pay the second payment and go with her!!

Dec 19 05 03:03 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mandy Yeung wrote:
I talked to my friend, she said the initial amount she paid will not be refundable
and the second payment we are not obligated to pay, but she paid her fees up front (the full amount)
and even tho I told her this is a scam (From what i learned here) she insist on going because its her shot at her dream

Wow, Dwight sure is starting to get around again. The second thread started qbout him.

7 years ago, in Atlanta, the amount for this [one of 4 that he has... And, he holds them 4 times a year]
$395.00

In NY it was $595.
You guys are talking in the $1000's....geez.
Dwight's stepped his game up.

================
OK. This will tell you if your friend has 3% chance of getting signed or no chance in hell.

WHAT ARE HER STATS??

If she doesn't have DEAD ON fashion model stats, she's absolutely crazy for going. And, she's going to be extremely hurt after the results.

Do whatever it takes to STOP your friend from going.

Damn...Dwight is a better  salesman than Lou Pearlman.
"E Models"... by the way.

Dec 22 05 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

It's so easy to make money out of shattering people's dream.  But people should know better.

If your friend is not 15-17, fashion-build (read Vogue and W), absolutely unique and tall, forget it.

Dec 22 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Mandy Yeung wrote:
oh no...

amount!!

If you didn't sign a contract, then ignore them. I would be your friend's responsibility to pay, not yours.  Even if they go after him, the cost to sue him would be significantly more than the $1,000 or so he owes. 

Just tell them to call you attorney (give them some number of a friend or a random number for that matter) and tell them to stop bothering you.

/tim

Dec 22 05 11:22 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tim Baker wrote:
If you didn't sign a contract, then ignore them. I would be your friend's responsibility to pay, not yours.  Even if they go after him, the cost to sue him would be significantly more than the $1,000 or so he owes. 

Just tell them to call you attorney (give them some number of a friend or a random number for that matter) and tell them to stop bothering you.

/tim

If her friend doesn't go, they won't sue. Not worth it for them.

They have their momey, already. They're not going to wastevtime nor spend money on pursuing one modewho didn't show up.

The most they'll do is keep a record and invite her out next year for a discounted price (since she already paid once.)

So, if you can, just bet your friend to not go.
If she paid by check, have her contact her bank and let themm retract a refund. They can immediately snatch funds back.
Plus, a bunch of other red tape...

Dec 22 05 11:31 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Here's a link for some advice from the US governent:

Federal Trade Commision on modeling scams

Dec 23 05 09:28 am Link

Model

Lyric Marie

Chisholm, Minnesota, US

www.camone.com model referral # 12527

Dec 23 05 01:18 pm Link

Model

ahmed87

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Yes i have, its basically a place where you (talent) spend lots of money enter this place with lots of reps from agencies take a look at you...
i was talkin to a couple of old agents about it, they basically take it as a joke, he told me that they usually only look for people that will completely stand out of the crowd.

Dec 23 05 03:46 pm Link

Model

VettyB

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mandy Yeung wrote:

Explain to your friend that this is in no way, shape, or form a shot at her dream, it's only a big waste of money and time. If you can't convince her, then at least make sure she understands that no matter what you won't pay more money. You know it's a scam, you know it's a waste of your money, so it's up to you. Don't let your friend pressure you into this.

Dec 23 05 04:39 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

What does your friend mean by this being her shot at her dream? 

Has she even gone to each and every single one of legit agencies to be able to conclude that this is her only shot???

The fact of the matter is, your friend should know that

1) If she hasn't been to agencies, she should.  That's the first stop and the only stop to modeling career.  If an agency like her, then THAT's her shot at her dream, not this.

2) If she's been to all the agencies and not even one was interested in her, it means that she is not marketable as a model and therefore she should consider finding another dream to pursue.  Having a dream is wonderful but the farther it is from being realistic, the more reality bites. 

Honestly, convince your friend to go to agency open calls with you instead of wasting money on this.  Sometimes being a good friend means helping her snap out of it and realize what she's getting herself into.

Dec 23 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

I have not heard of Model Search America before.  You should do some research on them to make sure that it is not a scam or anything like that just to be safe

Dec 26 05 02:15 pm Link

Model

Angie Lee

New York, New York, US

I actually participated in something similar to this, it's basically a convention where you are told you will be able to meet hundreds of modeling agents and casting directors. The truth is it's all a bunch of b.s. because you only get to meet them if you are requested by them. The only chance they do get to see you, if they do see you, is during competitions for runway, swimsuit, jeans, etc. The problem is there are thousands of girls that sign up for this, and agents don't even really pay attention while these competitions are going on because there are just too many damn people. It's very difficult to be recognized in these conventions and it's not worth spending thousands of dollars on. ITS REALLY NOT WORTH IT.

Dec 26 05 08:25 pm Link