Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > the real american heros

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

are trapped in a coal mine in tallmansville, w. va...God have mercy on them.

Jan 03 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

*listens to the silent apathy*

Jan 03 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Uhm - what have they done to become heroes?

Jan 03 06 09:06 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Hartsoe wrote:

Good question.   I feel for the families and thought this thread might just go away but what?   heros?

Jan 03 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

As the great grandson of someone who worked in the mines in eastern kentucky and ended up with black lung, those men are always in my thoughts when that happens.

Jan 03 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Hartsoe wrote:

if you have to ask, then you would not undertand the answer.

Jan 03 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
if you have to ask, then you would not undertand the answer.

Sorry, but Hartsoe is correct.

I believe that we throw the word "hero" way too fast around and make real heroic deeds disappear among the casual labeling of anybody and everybody "hero".

If among the coal miners is one guy, who is, while down there, caring and rescuing a colleague, maybe carrying a badly injured out of a collapsed tunnel... going in there to get his buddy, and no one else would go in there besides him... that, my friend... is a hero... but not someone who is merely trapped.

Firefighters, policemen and soldiers are not automatically heros. They selected a job that has inherent danger, and they get paid for it. So, there too, only a heroic deed among the regular duty makes someone a hero.

Frankly, I find that random "hero" calling, which became part of the common language, a disgrace to those, who individually go out of their comfortzone to save someone elses life with disregard to their own life.

Jan 03 06 09:24 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

UdoR wrote:

I believe that we throw the word "hero" way too fast around and make real heroic deeds disappear among the casual labeling of anybody and everybody "hero".

If among the coal miners is one guy, who is while down there caring and rescuing a colleague, maybe carrying a badly insured out of a collapsed tunnel... going in there to get his buddy, and no one else would go in there besides him... that, my friend... is a hero... but not someone who is merely trapped.

Firefighters, policemen and soldiers are not automatically heros. They selected a job that has inherent danger, and they get paid for it. So, there too, only a heroic deed among the regular duty makes someone a hero.

UdoR said what I think...thanks Udo;-)

Jan 03 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Heroism, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Jan 03 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

bencook2 wrote:
Hero, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Now you are talking about sandwiches, right?

Jan 03 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

UdoR wrote:

If among the coal miners is one guy, who is, while down there, caring and rescuing a colleague, maybe carrying a badly injured out of a collapsed tunnel... going in there to get his buddy, and no one else would go in there besides him... that, my friend... is a hero... but not someone who is merely trapped.

Frankly, I find that random "hero" calling, which became part of the common language, a disgrace to those, who individually go out of their comfortzone to save someone elses life with disregard to their own life.

Thanks for explaining it, so that I don't have to.

Jan 03 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

UdoR wrote:

Now you are talking about sandwiches, right?

Heck-yes!

Jan 03 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

I have to go with Udo on this. When I hear the word "hero" I think of men like Pat Tillman, who gave up a million dollar NFL contract to go fight in Afganistan because he believed it the right thing to do, because he wanted to save lives and do his part to end the war a little faster. I sympathize with the coal miners and their families, but I've heard nothing in any news reports to make me think of any of them as heroes, much less above those fighting in the Middle East, or those firefighters and policemen who rushed to the World Trade Center on 9/11.

Jan 03 06 10:01 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Models are the heros smile we inspire the female and male troops over seas with our photos, to come back home and hope they can meet us tongue

Photographers are heros too for taking the picture that the troops have of the model that inspire them to come home and that fills them up with hope, that they will meet that beautiful model tongue

MUA's are heros too, because the majic that they do on a model, takes beautiful to a new level, that the photographer takes of the model that brings hope to our troops over seas tongue

Wardrobe Stylist are heros too, Cause the clothing or lack of clothing that they have the model wear, that goes great with the majic of the MUA, that the photographer takes, of the beautiful model, that brings hope to the troops over seas tongue   

Now thats what I call a Hero tongue

Jan 03 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Here in washington state my family is watching this very closely because they grew up in West Virginia and worked the coal mines. I myself used to work in the logging industry here in Washington state so I know hard work and I know what these guys do for this country and how they get no thanks and all the blame and ugly accusations thrown at them. If it wasn't for men like this working in these natural resource industries not one of us would have a pot to piss in. These men are heros because they make america what it is and never get any thanks. When one of them dies you don't see a memorial built, you don't see a line of police cars and TV coverage, it barely gets mentioned in the obituaries. May god be with those men and their families

Jan 03 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
Here in washington state my family is watching this very closely because they grew up in West Virginia and worked the coal mines. I myself used to work in the logging industry here in Washington state so I know hard work and I know what these guys do for this country and how they get no thanks and all the blame and ugly accusations thrown at them. If it wasn't for men like this working in these natural resource industries not one of us would have a pot to piss in. These men are heros because they make america what it is and never get any thanks. When one of them dies you don't see a memorial built, you don't see a line of police cars and TV coverage, it barely gets mentioned in the obituaries. May god be with those men and their families

that doesn't make one a hero.

Jan 03 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

People who bust their asses in un-glamourous (and often dangerous) jobs working 40-60 hours a week bringing home $2,000 a month after taxes in order to feed their families and put a roof over their heads are heroes in my eyes.....
Coal miners, soldiers, firefighters, cops, truckstop waitresses, whatever....

Jan 03 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

that doesn't make one a hero.

to you...

that doesn't make one a hero...to you.

Jan 03 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:

If you want to play it this way, then it makes all those who were kidnapped and orphaned into slavery by the "Christians" that founded this country into "hereos" -- not that I have a problem with that, but those are the people who really made this country possible [with an assist from a lot of indentured servants].

Jan 03 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

kidnapped and orphaned into slavery by the "Christians"

they were rounded up by other tribes and sold to the dutch for the slave market...you fail to mention that this is still going on to this day...i could buy a whole tribe of folks if i so desired...but you have missed the point of the op.

Jan 03 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
People who bust their asses in un-glamourous (and often dangerous) jobs working 40-60 hours a week bringing home $2,000 a month after taxes in order to feed their families and put a roof over their heads are heroes in my eyes.....
Coal miners, soldiers, firefighteres, cops, truckstop waitresses, whatever....

How about captains of industry, Wall Street CEO's and other people in power, whose work enables myriads of employees to put bread on the table for their families, having the responsibilities for hundreds of thousands of people and their families and working constantly with one leg in jail, because a wrong decision, a change in law can turn an accounting error or omission from a tolerated practice into a criminal act?

I am not talking about those who abuse their power, simply for lining their own pocket, but those who work almost 24/7 to build corporate America and trying to realize a dream?

Jan 03 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

UdoR wrote:

How about captains of industry, Wall Street CEO's and other people in power, whose work enables myriads of employees to put bread on the table for their families, having the responsibilities for hundreds of thousands of people and their families and working constantly with one leg in jail, because a wrong decision, a change in law can turn an accounting error or omission from a tolerated practice into a criminal act?

I am not talking about those who abuse their power, simply for lining their own pocket, but those who work almost 24/7 to build corporate America and trying to realize a dream?

*visualize a factory with smoke stacks*
These evil companies only strive to make PROFIT off the backs of the helpless employees.  We should tax and legislate these companies out of business (or at least create more barriers to entering business).  Then the GOVERNMENT, who knows best, can create a nirvana/welfare state and we can all live on that "free bubble-up and eat that rainbow stew".  Because without the employer...there is no employee.  Down with industry!  Up with regulation!

Commentary aside, I think folks like Sam Walton,  Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the imigrant down the street that started with a dream and created a business are in fact and in deed, heros.  Certainly, role models.

Jan 03 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

UdoR...i do agree...the word "hero" does need to be redefined...we honor any drunken coked up putz who can hit, dunk, pass or putt a ball, deify the words of the ignorant television anchor and bow and worship celluloid "stars"...the men that go into those mines are true american heros as they seek not to impress...they recieve no glory or adoration, yet the work they do is far more dangerous than 99% of the boys and girls deployed overseas...our whole value system is in need of a major overhaul...teachers who are tasked with training and raising the next generation make LESS than a manager at McD's...the too are heros in my book.

Jan 03 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Atlskies

Franklin, Tennessee, US

As someone who has lost a brother in the war against terrorism, how is working in a mine, 99% more dangerous than fighting overseas?

Jan 03 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

try it for a living...try supporting a family on it...it is DANGEROUS...i am epathetic to your lose...but the fact is, men and women on the "front" line at least have a rotation of duty, for these men, it is a lifetime tour of duty.

Jan 03 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Chance wrote:
As someone who has lost a brother in the war against terrorism, how is working in a mine, 99% more dangerous than fighting overseas?

I am sorry for your lose and VERY appreciative of your brothers sacrifice.

Jan 03 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

BCG wrote:
try it for a living...try supporting a family on it...it is DANGEROUS...i am epathetic to your lose...but the fact is, men and women on the "front" line at least have a rotation of duty, for these men, it is a lifetime tour of duty.

Actually they are both choices.  Neither individual is forced to work either in a mine or in Iraq.  That fact does not deminish the danger or the good that both do.  This is a comparison that need not be made.  In the end it will not do any good.

Jan 03 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Eric S. wrote:
Coal miners, soldiers, firefighters, cops, truckstop waitresses, whatever....

I think these are admirable, but to me a hero is over and above admirable traits.

Exceptional courage or feats as in heroic tales of mythology.

I'm not discounting their efforts, but it seems everyone is a hero as well as celebrity in our culture.

Jan 03 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

BCG wrote:

interesting to note that you're playing the who is a bigger hero game.   a close cousin to the who is more oppressed game.

Jan 03 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

interesting to note that you're playing the who is a bigger hero game.   a close cousin to the who is more oppressed game.

i am pointing out that men who are burried alive, and God forbid, may be dead, do not recieve the proper adortion or respect due them.

Jan 03 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Atlskies

Franklin, Tennessee, US

Thank you to the both of you.  I'm sure mining is a very dangerous profession.  In my short life on this earth, I have heard numerous accounts of mining accidents.  My heart goes out to those involved in this latest incident. In this day and age, it seems that more and more professions are becoming more and more dangerous.  The one thing that will continue to stay the same, is the non-recognition to those involved in working those dangerous jobs.  I guess that is life.

Jan 03 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What does any of this have to do with G.I. Joe?

Jan 03 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

BCG wrote:
kidnapped and orphaned into slavery by the "Christians"

they were rounded up by other tribes and sold to the dutch for the slave market...you fail to mention that this is still going on to this day...i could buy a whole tribe of folks if i so desired...but you have missed the point of the op.

Oh I got it...I'm just not interested in yet another display of vacant sentimentality.  Around here, a hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich.

And nobody made the Dutch, Puteuogese, French and English buy those prisoners...Something made it seem like a good idea.

But as far as the native population collaborating with them...You are asbolutely right...possibly for the first time that I can recall.

Jan 03 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Nihilus wrote:
What does any of this have to do with G.I. Joe?

Q: why does malibu barbie have squished tits???
A: g.i. joe has kung fu grip.

Jan 03 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

BCG wrote:

i am pointing out that men who are burried alive, and God forbid, may be dead, do not recieve the proper adortion or respect due them.

first off it was on every 24 hour news station yesterday...probably today...I haven't been watching.

secondly, there are MANY workers who don't get the proper accolades for the work they do and/or danger they face.   that doesn't make them a hero per se.  it means they work in shit job where employers either don't provide a safe workspace and/or pay them their dues.

out of curiousity, has this mine been recently cited for safety violations, or do they do that anymore under the free market credo to unfetter businesses we're under?

Jan 03 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

As someone who has worked in both the ambulance business and in law enforcement, I believe that I can say this about heroes. 

After witnessing all the harshness and cruelness that this world can offer, it is in my opinion that a "Hero" is anyone who can stand up against the wave of negativity, abuse and self destruction that is rampant in the world today.  It's the husband and wife, who remain faithful to each other in the face of struggle and temptation.  It's the parent, who works 40+ hours a week, yet still makes time for their child(ren) and is committed to loving them and protecting them.  It's the teacher, who dedicates his/her time and energy to preparing the next generation for their future, while getting paid wages that are thousands of times lower than an actor who only plays the role in a movie or a TV show.  It's the friend, who opens his home or loans out his goods to his neighbor who is caught in a tough situation.  It's anyone, who at the right moment, would risk injury or maybe even death to help someone in trouble or in dire circumstance. 

I have nothing but respect and admiration for our soldiers, officers, firefighters, etc.  But having worn uniforms for almost all my life, I can say that the uniform can stand only as tall as the person inside of it.  Anyone who wears one, yet lacks integrity or ethics, brings down the symbols (i.e. the badge, patch, etc) that people associate with heroism. 

So, the truth is, that a hero is found within whatever clothing a person is wearing at the time of a great challenge or a great threat.  As I've put it before, "Heroes are forged by the fires of fate".

Jan 03 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

/\ Great post /\

Jan 03 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Oh I got it...I'm just not interested in yet another display of vacant sentimentality.  Around here, a hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich.

And nobody made the Dutch, Puteuogese, French and English buy those prisoners...Something made it seem like a good idea.

But as far as the native population collaborating with them...You are asbolutely right...possibly for the first time that I can recall.

apathy will be the death of this nation.

Jan 03 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

Anyone who someone idolizes, reveres or is supremely indebted to for their actions is a hero.  Doesn't matter if other folks don't think so.  All of the folks you have all mentioned have done and/or are doing things which, for me at this point, certainly sound heroic.

I don't think it's accurate, or relevant, to add qualifiers like "true" and "real" before the word hero.  The only word that should precede hero is "my."

Jan 03 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

BCG wrote:

apathy will be the death of this nation.

Scientist recently discovered a cure for apathy...but so far, no one seems interested in finding out more about it.  wink

Jan 03 06 12:28 pm Link