Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > playstation or Xbox

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

uncle bgc has a sick nephew...need to send a care package and thought a game station would help...which is "cooler" and score me the most "coolest uncle in the world award"?!?

Jan 10 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

BCG wrote:
uncle bgc has a sick nephew...need to send a care package and thought a game station would help...which is "cooler" and score me the most "coolest uncle in the world award"?!?

Send both...   But if you don't want to do that... Send the sony PSP...  You'll not only get the coolest uncle award.. But the hippest one to...

Jan 10 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

It is all about the cartridges you can afford.
Same with a digital hassy.   
If you cannot afford a lens what is the use.
Buy one and buy cartridges.

Jan 10 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Unfortunately the cool uncle award will only go to the uncle who gets either the Xbox 360 (full version not light version) or the Play Station 3 which uses the new Blu-ray discs (available sometime this spring)

he doesn't have one of these things yet? You can't just get him a game or 15?

Jan 10 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

I 2nd the PSP, hands down the best portable out there. Games, movies, music, photos, all in one unit that has very good battery life.

Jan 10 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Buy him a dog.   More life lessons to learn.
Do not make another fat, lazy Human.

Jan 10 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Marksora wrote:
It is all about the cartridges you can afford.
Same with a digital hassy.   
If you cannot afford a lens what is the use.
Buy one and buy cartridges.

Cartridges?  What year did you get lost in? wink

Jan 10 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Cartridges?  What year did you get lost in? wink

:-))

Jan 10 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

Don't laugh, I just sold a Super Nintendo with about 12 cartridges. Only wanted the system for Mario Bros.

Jan 10 06 12:40 am Link

Model

Aein

Los Angeles, California, US

I love my Playstation2. smile

Jan 10 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Buy him a dog.   More life lessons to learn.
Do not make another fat, lazy Human.

i tried that...but with a pig i saved...they so did not dig that gift.

Jan 10 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Eli Anthony wrote:
Don't laugh, I just sold a Super Nintendo with about 12 cartridges. Only wanted the system for Mario Bros.

Brings up a good point - the Nintendo Game Cube is a system that shouldn't be counted out here...  That goofy little kid's box packs a serious punch...  It also comes in at a nice price point...   I grabbed my nephew one for christmas and so far it's lasted over a week on his must play with items list...

Jan 10 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Aein wrote:
I love my Playstation2. smile

Did you know that a PSP has the processing power of a Playstation2?  Yeah - tripped me out too..

Jan 10 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

Game systems... the gift that keeps on taking. LoL

Really though, the PSP isn't a bad idea considering how much it can do aside from just play games. It'll be a bigger deal when they finally release better games for it. Even older games that are re-released on it are pretty pricey though.

How old is he though? Age might make a difference in the suggestion. Especially considering both the Playstation and Xbox mainly release mature games.

...LoL, he said cartridges. That brought back memories. Made me turn on my NeoGeo emulator for a second.

Jan 10 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

what i know if game systems could fill the tip of a pinhead...i thought of the psp, but not too many games yet.

Jan 10 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

Champion wrote:
Made me turn on my NeoGeo emulator for a second.

No you didn't just go there!! I'll have to go in the closet and dig out the Sega Genesis and Atari 2600 w/Super Pitfall.

Jan 10 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

Hey, BCG...

How old is your nephew? I actually work at a video game store, so I could probably help you pick out the better system and some suitable games. Age definitely plays a role, as the XBOX is aimed at an older audience than the PlayStation 2 or Gamecube. Also, the PSP is NOT meant for kids, so if your nephew is younger than about 15, you might want to save the $250 it'll cost you and go with something cheaper/more durable. Drop a PSP once, and it's toast. I've talked to more than one parent that's found this out the hard way, and Sony doesn't cover physical damage under their warranty.

The PS2 is probably the best overall system because of the sheer number of games available and the variety that goes with it. Every genre is covered in abundance, and a lot of the games are less than $20. On the other hand, if your nephew likes 1st person shooters, like Halo and Doom, the XBOX is the way to go. But, as I said, XBOX is targeted at a more mature audience.

Don't even worry about XBOX 360 or PlayStation 3. You'll never find a 360 (unless you're VERY lucky), and the PS3 won't be available until next fall at the earliest.

Feel free to message me with any questions...

Jan 10 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Eli Anthony wrote:

No you didn't just go there!! I'll have to go in the closet and dig out the Sega Genesis and Atari 2600 w/Super Pitfall.

MMmmmm....Altered Beast and Sonic...

Hours...hours upon hours

Jan 10 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

raveneyes wrote:

MMmmmm....Altered Beast and Sonic...

Hours...hours upon hours

Thats the truth

Pole Position, Asteroids, Ridge Racer, Bonk, Double Dragon................

Jan 10 06 01:05 am Link

Model

Horsie Girl

Santa Rosa, California, US

X-Box!!!  That's what me and my kids play.  They have better games for X-Box!

Jan 10 06 01:26 am Link

Model

Aein

Los Angeles, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Did you know that a PSP has the processing power of a Playstation2?  Yeah - tripped me out too..

I don't like portables much... the screen is too small for me. :

Jan 10 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

It's X-Box 360... hands down... the high definition graphics... blazing speed... awesome games.  Play a few of their award-winning games... you'll agree... wink

Jan 10 06 03:31 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

If you're going for coolness factor, a PSP or an X-Box 360 (both are horribly expensive, though.) 

If you want bang for your buck - and your nephew doesn't have a system - you really can't go wrong with a PS2.  Huge selection of games, easy to find rentals and the price isn't too bad.  You can get a nice bundle - system, extra controller, games, etc. - for around $230.  Sure, it's not the latest-and-greatest, but you can't argue with the price point.

Not to mention the fact that getting the most out of an X-Box 360 damn near requires an HD TV and surround sound.

Jan 10 06 04:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Playstation. Bill Gates doesn't need any more of your money.

Jan 10 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Playstation2  Much more affordable than the Xbox 360 and way way more games than anything else out there. Plus there are some really good first person shooters for it as well you don't need an Xbox for those.

Jan 10 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

PSP...Games, movies and music all in one portable little package....How can you beat that???

P.S....Yes, I have one and yup...I even keep a bunch of my newer work on the memory card and use it as a digital portfolio should I be somewhere without my book.

Jan 10 06 08:08 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ok being the fiance of a man that plays ps2 nonstop I will go with that. He says the reason he never purchased the original x box is the controller is too bulky. It is. Now the x box 360 you definitely need to wait at least 6 months before they fix everything that will be wrong with it.

X box has better graphics but seriously.. PS2 or PSP is definitely the way to go right now.

Jan 10 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

William Kious wrote:
If you're going for coolness factor, a PSP or an X-Box 360 (both are horribly expensive, though.) 

If you want bang for your buck - and your nephew doesn't have a system - you really can't go wrong with a PS2.  Huge selection of games, easy to find rentals and the price isn't too bad.  You can get a nice bundle - system, extra controller, games, etc. - for around $230.  Sure, it's not the latest-and-greatest, but you can't argue with the price point.

Not to mention the fact that getting the most out of an X-Box 360 damn near requires an HD TV and surround sound.

PSP is $250 and X Box 360 IF you can find one is at least $400. Thats without all the crap you have to buy with it.

PS2 is $150. Totally worth it.

Jan 10 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

ps2 with 4 games...i am sooooooooo the ''kewlest" uncle EVER.

Jan 10 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

there are other game systems besides the Xbox?  huh,...

Jan 10 06 09:59 am Link