Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > BODY MODIFICATIONS?

Model

Kearstin

Carpentersville, Illinois, US

Yay or nay?

Discuss.

Apr 15 05 10:55 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you're serious about modeling then "nay".  If you need ink for a particular shoot, you can get it painted on.  Piercings can be removed, I guess.  Although some leave pretty big holes.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to work exclusively in the fetish market it might be OK.

There's a girl in my portfolio (Betty Ann) who has over 400 stars tattoo'd on her in various locations.  I had to take her word for it, she didn't let me count them.

Apr 15 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Curt Lout Photography

Spearfish, South Dakota, US

The more the better... I freelance for Tattoo Savage!

Apr 15 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Geo Silva

Whittier, California, US

Maybe I'm a traditionalist... but unless it's just changing hair color, I say nay to body alterations... including breast augmentation.   

Apr 15 05 11:57 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

In my side of the business the more the better.  I'm about to get ink myself.  No one cares one way or the other.  The magazine I've been in most is a tattoo magazine and when you pinup and fetish work it's not a big deal.

Apr 15 05 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

According to "America's Next Top Model" they say "no".  smile

I personally love them.  But as long as you don't have too many they can always be covered up with make-up.  They can of course be removed in post-processing but nobody wants to add time to the image process if it can be avoided.

Apr 15 05 01:20 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have no desire to be Americas Next Top Model.  I wouldn't want to do fashion if I had the body for it.  Fetish is way more fun to me!  But if you want to do fasion then no...probably a bad idea.  I, on the other hand, say the more the better:-)

Apr 15 05 01:22 pm Link

Model

Natalya

Raleigh, Illinois, US

I'm also more interested in fetish and work where body modification is usually considered okay, or even a plus.  I think moderation is the key when it comes to body modification though.

Apr 15 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Yeah, that comment was supposed to be funny.  Sorry.  Anyway, it really just depends on the type of modeling you are doing. High fashion, you probably don't want tattoos.  Fetish, more is better.

Apr 15 05 01:24 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lol Kevin...I've never actually watched Americas Next Top Model but I think I need to...for good comic relief if anything:-)

Apr 15 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by Susi: 
Lol Kevin...I've never actually watched Americas Next Top Model but I think I need to...for good comic relief if anything:-)

Yeah, that show is all about the drama.  But it does have good tips for models doing traditional work. I watch it to get more insight into the business. They rarely show much in the way of the photography. I get the impression that Hasselblad sponsers them since every photographer seems to be using the H1.

Apr 15 05 01:28 pm Link

Model

VeraLynn

Longmeadow, Massachusetts, US

I seem to get a lot of work because of a few factors. first of all, I have no tattoos and four piercings.. two in each earlobe. My hair, of course, has gotten me work. My figure has been sited for getting me work, too.

I do know that my lack of body modifications is a very big help, though.

Apr 15 05 01:29 pm Link

Model

Living Dead Girl Nicole

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Q: 
Yay or nay?

Discuss.

BIG YAY!

Apr 15 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Office Perils

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

I love most body mods but I do think moderation is key. For the type of photography I shoot body mods are more than welcomed!

Apr 15 05 02:48 pm Link

Model

Living Dead Girl Nicole

Chicago, Illinois, US

That is why I prefer Artistic modeling it allows you to be yourself.

Posted by LarryB: 
If you're serious about modeling then "nay".  If you need ink for a particular shoot, you can get it painted on.  Piercings can be removed, I guess.  Although some leave pretty big holes.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to work exclusively in the fetish market it might be OK.

There's a girl in my portfolio (Betty Ann) who has over 400 stars tattoo'd on her in various locations.  I had to take her word for it, she didn't let me count them.

Apr 15 05 05:19 pm Link

Model

Living Dead Girl Nicole

Chicago, Illinois, US

I agree with Susi.

Posted by Susi: 
I have no desire to be Americas Next Top Model.  I wouldn't want to do fashion if I had the body for it.  Fetish is way more fun to me!  But if you want to do fasion then no...probably a bad idea.  I, on the other hand, say the more the better:-)

Apr 15 05 05:22 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

I just had my ears pierced for the first time! I even was scared to do that. No way could i gte a tattoo or piercings anywhere else.I love body painting though and could always use fake jewlery. I want to do FASHION anyways

Apr 15 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I'm biased because I just bought Paragon Body Piercing and Tattoo in Honolulu, Hawaii this past January, but for mainstream modelling, a few minor mods are acceptable and in some cases considered cute. Things like your classic navel piercing or even most ear-work, helix, industrial, conch. Just not any large gauge work. And usually not any other facial piercings, even minor ones like a labret or brow piercing.

For fetish modelling, almost a prerequisite.

My 2 cents worth.

Apr 15 05 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Panic

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

depends on your look and what your goals are... not every model wants to be on the cover of vogue - there are agency's and demands for every type of model, from short to tall, from thin to thick, from punk rock to girl next door.

Apr 16 05 01:06 pm Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

I say yay to body mods.  I also heavily agree that artistic photos allow a model to be herself/himself.  My photographer loves all my tattoos and keeps getting me to show them off, but I always take my facial piercings out smile.

Apr 16 05 01:32 pm Link

Model

Erzsebet

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts, US

I would have to say a big "aye"! to body mods...I have 6 tats and 17 piercings (on various parts of my body) and I love them all.

I can see the other side. It brings to mind another argument...used to be rare to find a chick with a shaved crotch. Now it's rare you find a chick with any hair at all down there. You can almost make the same argument for body mods. Used to be you couldn't find chicks with them and now you can hardly find one without.

Maybe it's just the circles I roll in (I tend more towards fetish work) but I think it's beautiful when a woman has no piercings and tats. Nothing but pure, untarnished flesh. I find mods equally as beautiful though.

Apr 16 05 01:43 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Posted by Mike Panic: 
depends on your look and what your goals are... not every model wants to be on the cover of vogue - there are agency's and demands for every type of model, from short to tall, from thin to thick, from punk rock to girl next door.

I TOTALLY AGREE..I WANNA BE ON EVER MAGAZINE POSSIBLE AND DETERMINED ENOUGH NOT TO GET AND TATTS AND PIERCIGS THEN.

Apr 16 05 01:49 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Posted by Mike Panic: 

I TOTALLY AGREE..I WANNA BE ON EVER MAGAZINE POSSIBLE AND DETERMINED ENOUGH NOT TO GET AND TATTS AND PIERCIGS THEN.

Apr 16 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

here's a great body alteration: rip aluminum foil into extremely miniscule particles and glue them over your entire body. why? well let me tell you, shiny things are fun. plus, think of all the benefits!
you wont need to bathe properly because you can just wipe youreself off.
you can blind people.
you will be microwave/oven friendly.
and, if you use reynolds, CLEANUP'S A SNAP!

Apr 17 05 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Posted by Masha: 
here's a great body alteration: rip aluminum foil into extremely miniscule particles and glue them over your entire body. why? well let me tell you, shiny things are fun. plus, think of all the benefits!
you wont need to bathe properly because you can just wipe youreself off.
you can blind people.
you will be microwave/oven friendly.
and, if you use reynolds, CLEANUP'S A SNAP!

And you will be completely invisible when the aliens land to take over the Earth!

Apr 18 05 04:34 pm Link

Model

Abattoir Scarlett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

i need a new foil hat.

i think the alien mind probes are getting through again.

Apr 18 05 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

I would never say never, but as a photographer of artistic nudes, I tend to be a purist and generally find the tattoos and piercings undesirable.  I can easily spot breast implants about 90% of the time and also find them unappealing.

Apr 19 05 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

I think they are hot personally smile and for photos they can add a lot to an image. In terms of modeling it just depends on what area you want to work in, or can work in for that matter. Some girls think they can do high fashion at 5'5 but it just isn't going to happen. If your look is more geared towards the fetish or alternative markets then do what you want, don't let others choose for you smile

Apr 22 05 05:54 pm Link

Model

Whyte Chocolate

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nope, not one single thing. I am all natural..lol

Apr 22 05 06:01 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jilesse

Portland, Oregon, US

I dont think they have hindered my modeling, I'm no fashion model so it's not like Vogue would be breaking down my door if I didnt have any. Most of mine can be covered up easily, but I really like the way they look in photos, and most photographers I've worked with enjoy taking photos of them. I've had some snotty emails from photographers telling me I shouldn't have them, but ummmm..if you don't like them, don't photograph me. It's that simple. Everyone has an opinion, my issue is, if you don't like them and I didn't ask for your opinion, don't feel like you have to come tell me how much my body mods suck.

Apr 22 05 06:23 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

Posted by Amanda Jilesse:
[br]
if you don't like them, don't photograph me. It's that simple. Everyone has an opinion, my issue is, if you don't like them and I didn't ask for your opinion, don't feel like you have to come tell me how much my body mods suck. 

Amen Sister!!!!

Apr 22 05 09:02 pm Link

Model

tash_moore

Columbus, Ohio, US

"Body Modifications" includes far far more then just tatoos and pierceings.... and most people these days have modified their body in some way or another, and most models/actors have done more then a little....

how many people on here had/have braces? Or fillings?

I had breast surgery last august.. no, not up, down.

and if hair colour is a modification, what about getting your nails done?

other then teeth and breast I have have nothing done (not even hair at the moment, and my nails are trim but uncoloured) not even my ears, I like how tatoos and pierceings look, but I am terrified of needels.

Apr 30 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

Posted by Nicole: 
That is why I prefer Artistic modeling it allows you to be yourself.

As an artist myself, I prefer a clean slate. If your body is covered with the artwork of others, it's not as easy to create with, and certainly not as interesting to view, IMO.

Apr 30 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Joi Carey

Phoenix, Arizona, US

YES to mods!
Especially original ones!

Apr 30 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

VisuallyOddPhotography

Morton, Illinois, US

Damn! No breast augmentation for you Q!........Do your thing doll! As it is now, you can't keep up with your offers!

Apr 30 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

I think tattoo's look cool... though generally not on females... but regardless of how cool they look, if you're serious about modeling [mainstream], certainly no body pin cushions, no tattoo's, no plastic chests, etc.  If you are just modeling on the Net to have fun, then whatever floats your boat, but consider your future first and then modify accordingly.  Our contract in the agency, for instance, restricts our talent from any modifications without prior agency permission.  For instance, a tattoo somewhere on the body that won't be seen when modeling professionally (i.e., not nudes) is usually okay - none of our business, but still at least tell.  If anywhere visible, it's likely that it's done in exchange for tearing up the contract.  Modeling is a business and like a classic car, if you modify from stock it's not likely you will win too many "best in show" trophies at the local car show... even if everybody passing by your modified rod comments, "Wow, that looks so cool!"

May 01 05 08:41 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

The only body modification I enjoy and perform on myself...is real corsetry - formally known as tight lacing.

I have a tattoo - but its in a discreet location so that if I dont want it known that I have one, no one will know

May 01 05 10:52 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

Posted by Susi: 
In my side of the business the more the better.  I'm about to get ink myself.  No one cares one way or the other.  The magazine I've been in most is a tattoo magazine and when you pinup and fetish work it's not a big deal.

as far as fetish goes, i dont think it matters too much, though it could have an effect on how sucessful you want to be. Fetish is also a business and quite a few people earn their living from working in the industry. I do have a tattoo and it's a pretty large back piece, but it isn't something just tossed on my body with no thought to form or design. (some may choose to differ of course). I have been lucky and it has only been mentioned a couple of times, though i have also been told that depending on the style, i wasnt guaranteed a job.

But anyways, if you look at the more popular/successful fetish models, you may notice that they dont have tattoos - or at least an over abundance of them. and if they do have something, it isn't too distracting to look at.

May 01 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

The only body modification I have is a slighly elongated belly.  I'm planning to have it removed, though.  smile

May 02 05 05:56 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

yea
mine is growing too
damn travelling in europe with all this damn good food
luckily i havent gotten in trouble for gaining kilos - yet

May 02 05 08:21 am Link