This thread was locked on 2016-04-25 01:58:16
Forums > General Industry > Model Mayhem -Waste of time?

Photographer

John Ricard photography

New York, New York, US

I joined this site about a month ago and so far, its been a big waste of time.  Typically it goes like this...  I browse the model pages until I find a model that may be suited for a project that I am working on.  I send an email to the model with breif details about the project and about myself and I ask the model to CALL if he or she is interested.

If a model does not respond, that is fine with me and I do not contact the model again.

However, if a model IS interested, I would expect the model to call so I can provide full details about the project.  However, instead of a phone call, I get email responses like, "I am very interested."

I guess at that point I'm supposed to send ANOTHER email??!!? and we're supposed to go back and forth day after day?  I guess some people think model mayhem is another name for My Space.  I'm not looking for email pen pals -just models for legitimate projects. 

Why any model would be "interested" in a project but NOT call to secure a spot as part of that project is totally beyond me...

If you'd like to see a sample of 4 email responses that are typical of the sort of responses I've gotten from this site, visit this link:

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/7795/mm4jz.jpg

Mar 08 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

So quick to pass judgment on such a nice and useful site, I bet if you ask you can get 100% of your free back.

Mar 08 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

You caught on quick.  Mine go for another 15 or so messages.

Mar 08 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Touscany Photography

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Quit your whining!  You're in NYC.  There's beautiful models on every freakin' corner!  MM is only one of hundreds of resources you should look to for talent.  You have to create your own resources.

Mar 08 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

This is the Internet.  Email is a powerful and simple tool for communication over the Internet.  A lot of people prefer email to the phone.  I am one of them.  It's just something you'll have to get used to.

Mar 08 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

CK Fotografia

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Hey John,

I understand your frustrations.  You would think if someone was trying to help someone else get published, they would have the courtesy to call back.  Luckily for me, I have been able to get call backs.  It's been frustrating, but it's taken a little time.

Mar 08 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
So quick to pass judgment on such a nice and useful site, I bet if you ask you can get 100% of your free back.

I’m sorry, this was harsh and a knee-jerk reaction to the post.
I have maybe 15 emails from MM models open that are months old, I have another 15 emails from MM models that have gone cold. On the other hand I have 30 + emails with MM models that are open and active with collaboration for future shoots.

Which pot do I stir? The one that is boiling or the one on slow simmer?

Mar 08 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Rayde

Los Angeles, California, US

I agree with Brian

If you dont like online communications, dont use a web based, message based, site. this is an Online Community.... actually Just like MySpace (Check out the Layout!)

So if it's annoying to have emails sent instead of phone calls, why not start your own phone based modelling casting calls. You might not know what your models will look like, but at least you'll get a call back. wink

Photographer

WZ Photography

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada

Hey,

You just have to be patient.  It takes a while to get good contacts.  Once you are on the map (sort of speak) you will get referrals more often then you think.

Keep active on the site and sooner or later you won't be able to find time to shoot everybody, haha.

Take it easy,

Wal

Model

TxCiara

Austin, Texas, US

I've had Photographers do that, so I guess it cuts both ways. With that said, I have met some great photographers on here and worked with them so it makes up for the few that waste my time.

Mar 08 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Put in your time, build your reputation, build your relationships.

Mar 08 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

That sucks, I'm sorry things aren't going so smoothe for you here, if anything it's been the complete opposite for me. Sorry for the bad people and all, but like everything in life, there are always more (greater) people.

Mar 08 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I do agree that a lot of email volley can be frustrating, but many folks on this site (myself included) prefer email for the preliminary "filtering" conversations. Phone calls take time out of my day, as do emails, but with email I can choose to respond when I have the time.

However, timely response is imperative. I'm in Seattle, so at any given moment, between home, coffee shop and studio, I'm no more than a couple minutes from an internet connection. For me, it just saves time. But once you've mutually decided to work together, it's time to get off the metaphorical pot.

Mar 08 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

John Ricard photography wrote:
I guess at that point I'm supposed to send ANOTHER email??!!? and we're supposed to go back and forth day after day?  I guess some people think model mayhem is another name for My Space.  I'm not looking for email pen pals -just models for legitimate projects.

Waves hello,   I'm interested in takin it to the next level.

Waves hello,

:he he:giggle:

Mar 08 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

John,

I'll take a stab at this one; 

I'm guessing that part of the problem is that your outgoing emails look like they are cut and paste/general offers.  You mention nothing personal about the model in your initial contact (why you chose her specifically, why you think she would be specifically good for this assignment, etc.).

Since your email looks pretty generic, models are probably hesitant to make a phone call and reveal their phone number to a totally unknown (to them) person.  It may take another round of emails back to show that you are actually interested in them as individuals, and not just sending a casting call for which they may never get selected.

It's not a problem of it being ModelMayhem, or OMP, or MuseCube, etc.  These websites are only tools.   If you aren't getting the results you desire from the tool, then you usually need to adjust your strategy on how to use that tool.

I have a (roughly) 80% return rate on my emails and castings that I do online. The reason being is that I make sure the talent/model has been actively using their portfolios (I won't send to a model who hasn't updated her port in over a month), and then I read their portfolios to see what makes them specifically suited to my assignment.  When they read I'm actually interested in THEM as a model (and not just an interchangeable girl), I have a much higher rate of success. 

My clients are also much happier, as I have provided a range of models who I have justified as being relevant to their product, and not just another pretty place-holder.

It's a people business, and the more you know about the people you are working (and propose working) with, the more success you will have.

my 2 pence,

/bob

Mar 08 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

It's definitely not something you'll have to get used to. You've got a valid point, there are moments when I feel the same way. It happens regardless of how clear you are in your message. You give someone all the ways they can contact you offsite so you can actually set something up and they continue to message you here. If I'm looking to shoot with someone in person, we should be able to speak and even meet before we shoot. It's in both our best interests when talking about collaborating. More so if I'm considering them for paid work.

Many people give "internet networking" a bad name. This site and those like it are a resource. That's why I laugh when people make comments saying "It's the internet, what do you expect?" You might as well say "It's the phone, what do you expect?" It's just a tool used to communicate with other people.

Before anyone gets all bent out of shape about the question or says he's "whining" just realize he's saying that's what it has been for him. Then he went on to clearly state why he feels that way.

Everybody wants to be a comedian or get "cool points" with a quick snap back. I'd rather gain respect than cool points. Spend the time to respond with something constructive.

Mar 08 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I see this as a pretty good resource.

What is Model Mayhem?  MM is a virtual talent agency -- a co-op of sorts.  Sometimes, you do actually get what you pay for.

Because this is open to people of ALL talent levels, there are going to be those who are VERY serious and are building their business, and there are also going to be those who are interested in modeling and photography from a hobbyist standpoint.

I guess that if you really, really want the "sure thing," call a modeling agency and pay their rates.

Mar 08 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

whine whine whine

GWC!

Mar 08 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

Olivia Hardt

If a model does that- that lets you know one of two things about her-
1. she didnt really read the the message
or
2. Shes very unprofessional
or both.

why would you want to work with a model like that anyways?

Mar 08 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

Yuka

Berwyn, Illinois, US

CiaraK wrote:
I've had Photographers do that, so I guess it cuts both ways. With that said, I have met some great photographers on here and worked with them so it makes up for the few that waste my time.

I have had photographers contact me without leaving a phone number, so I will contact them with my email in the message.  Then they will not answer.  I have had photographers leave their phone number and then I call 3 or 4 times, leaving messages, and no answer.  So it is not just models that do this, believe me.

I guess some people think that being professional only means looking beautiful or taking beautiful photos.  I think being professional also means you do what you say you will do and don't waste time.  The same for photograhpers and models.

-Yuka

Mar 08 06 03:51 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Wow...there was a post with a photographer who commented about hating to write back and forth to models....

let me put it this way..

A model will keep writing you because:

1. some might want to see what type of project your interested in doing with them
2. No one wants to immediately call someone just because you wanna work with them...there are weirdos out there and i have called a few...neever again
3. its better to have things in writing about what is agreed on...what is going to be given for compensation...and also if the model kindly declines your current project but does want to work with you again...she can have those emails to look at for reference as to what yall talked about...
4.. it is much more POLITE.. to say online No thanks...i am not interested in doing that type of work at the moment...
5. I dont know about everyone else...But I dont like sitting on the phone with a photographer for 30 min-1hr with him telling me his ideas...just to have me say no thanks...
6. and last but not least...it gives everyone an opportunity to see how business like you are...because no matter how bad i like getting emails about how good my pport is...how beautiful i am...my curves this ....LOVE IT....but some times those people who do come at me like that are photographers i talk to for the first time and it is not professional...

i had a photographer in my area ask me the otha day to TAKE ME OUT TO DINNER!!!....i told him this is not MYSPACE....he has great work but we must be professional..

But MM is not a waste of time... you just have to understand peoples reasons for doing things....a phone call is sometimes a personal invasion to some and want that to be left untill the day of a shot...ya know emergency purposes and or a late call

Mar 08 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I blame Bush!

Mar 08 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've had photographers message me, me message back.. and that's the end of all communication.

That is why I (like you) like to exchange phone numbers as soon as possible. Don't see this site as a waste of time though, considering I've met a lot of people and had some great shoots from it.

Maybe try posting in the "casting calls" forum?

Mar 08 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

Sirena Scott

Los Angeles, California, US

...models are probably hesitant to make a phone call and reveal their phone number to a totally unknown (to them) person.  It may take another round of emails back to show that you are actually interested in them as individuals, and not just sending a casting call for which they may never get selected.

I have to agree here. I get way too many emails from photographers who tell me I'm perfect for a project but never follow thru after I tell them I'm interested. That leads me to believe it was a generic email and he has found the models he wants to use.

As for MM being a waste of time, I'm tending to agree there too. I've talked to quite a few models who feel the same way but you have to keep promoting yourself every way and any way you can.

Mar 08 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Chloe248 wrote:
I agree with Brian

If you dont like online communications, dont use a web based, message based, site. this is an Online Community.... actually Just like MySpace (Check out the Layout!)

So if it's annoying to have emails sent instead of phone calls, why not start your own phone based modelling casting calls. You might not know what your models will look like, but at least you'll get a call back. wink

John

Here's but yet another perfect example of the internet mentality.

You have work for me for which you will pay me, but you need to pursue me to put money in my pocket.

If it's any consulation, I have the same gripe.  But untill the children grow up and learn how to act like responsible adults, it the way of the internet world.

Mar 08 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I hear you loud and clear, I sent out 8 emails about a Paid Job with strict instructions to Call within the next 24 hours at ANYTIME! 

Only 1 model actually called and got the job. She found out that she was the only model from MM, all the other models were from Craigs List, omp, GG, etc... She asked me why was she the only one chosen from MM and I told her that She was the Only one that actually followed instructions and called...

The other 7 models from MM emailed me for the next week at least once everyday about their interest in the job...

No phone call no job as far as I'm conserned, and that goes for TFP/CD as well.  It actually takes less time to make a phone call then it does to type out an email.

If the model can't follow simple instructions, just how reliable do you really think she is going to be???

I have a cellphone, I can be contacted 24/7, I don't live online!

Mar 08 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Egendorf

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've found there is a pretty big evaporation factor to e-mails both here and on OMP.  Getting models interested in projects is one thing..  I've done that a lot..  Getting them to commit to a time is another thing completely, and I've had a success rate of 6 out of 30 on that..

I think there should be a follow up system on these boards.  For example, if you send a model/photographer/mua/stylist/whatever an e-mail, they should have a week to reply to your initial e-mail one way or the other, if not, negative mark on a port rating..

I realize it may take several e-mails going back and forth to sort out plans, but there should be a finalization option to click on when you are sending your last e-mail to confirm date and location.  If there is no reply to that after a week, negative mark on their port rating.

If they cancel at the last minute or just plane evaporate and don't show... negative mark on their port. 

I know life happens, but everyone that is here is here to work or put themselves in a position to be able to get work.  By enforcing reliablity in a way that could affect their ability to get work in the future (negative marks on their port), people might force themselves to be more reliable, or realize that they are not cut out for this and clear the field for those that are..

MainFragger/Brian

Mar 08 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Brian Egendorf wrote:

If they cancel at the last minute or just plane evaporate and don't show... negative mark on their port. 
MainFragger/Brian

what kind of negative mark do u think is appropriate? lol i have a few to mark myself hehehehe:)

Mar 08 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

as long as MM remains a free site, i really can't complain much. i take the bitter with the sweet, but please enough of the bitter already smile lol

Mar 08 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

Olivia Hardt wrote:
If a model does that- that lets you know one of two things about her-
1. she didnt really read the the message
or
2. Shes very unprofessional
or both.

why would you want to work with a model like that anyways?

Or maybe the model is not comfortable giving out their phone number until they have talked things over a few times with a complete stranger on the internet.

Mar 08 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

Brian Egendorf wrote:
I think there should be a follow up system on these boards.  For example, if you send a model/photographer/mua/stylist/whatever an e-mail, they should have a week to reply to your initial e-mail one way or the other, if not, negative mark on a port rating..

This wouldn't work, as almost everyone would end up with a really negative score.

If I get a lot of unwanted questions/offers/requests, I can only imagine the sort of junk that the models must get on a daily basis. 

Answering an email is not requirement, just as you don't have to pick up the phone if you don't want to recieve calls from telemarketers (who often show up as local numbers).

If I had to answer my cel phone every time it rang, I would throw it away.

Likewise, if I'm a model who is recieving offers for work I clearly do not want, or am recieving emails from "GLD"s* (guys looking for dates) and am penalized for not answering them, I will leave the site in a heartbeat.

How about this, Let's use the system in a way that will actually attract people to our offers, and not make them think that we are just spamming them?

Everyone is looking for a reason to blame the system, or the models (or photogs), or the tools.

Since many of us use the system quite successfully, why do you assume it is the systems' fault, and not our own for not using it correctly?

* can I claim originating this acronym?  :-)

Mar 08 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:
I blame Bush!

Who's bush are you blaming?? lol

Mar 08 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Why any model would be "interested" in a project but NOT call

You have got it right.  If they are interested, they will call.  If they email, that implies just passing curiosity.

Mar 08 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I joined this site about a month ago and so far, its been a big waste of time.  Typically it goes like this...  I browse the model pages until I find a model that may be suited for a project that I am working on.  I send an email to the model with breif details about the project and about myself and I ask the model to CALL if he or she is interested.

If a model does not respond, that is fine with me and I do not contact the model again.

However, if a model IS interested, I would expect the model to call so I can provide full details about the project.  However, instead of a phone call, I get email responses like, "I am very interested."

Why any model would be "interested" in a project but NOT call to secure a spot as part of that project is totally beyond me...

If you'd like to see a sample of 4 email responses that are typical of the sort of responses I've gotten from this site, visit this link:

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/7795/mm4jz.jpg

Hmmm interesting.  Did you know that there are photographers on this site as well like that too??  Hell.....we can all point fingers I am sure DAILY.  There are bad apples in everything. 

Obviously....if you ask the model to call and she doesn't.  It's her loss.  Me...I think communication through the phone and email is very important and if even possible a meet up before the shoot.  Not all things can work that way...so the next best thing is the invention called the phone...or cell. 

If I were you..I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.  Of course, it is very unprofessional if a model does not contact you after saying she is interested.  Again...her loss.  But in the end....would you really want someone that doesn't follow through on his/her word to work with you on a project???

Plus...looking at the responses.  You would think that if they are interested...they may also want to ask some questions...possibly learn more about the project, the details....?  And all I see is..."I'm interested"...  OK...if I were the photographer I would wonder why they didn't want to ask me any questions. 

Again, not every model or someone you come across with on MM is like that.  Some are....some aren't.  If you are contacting them after they respond....then you are doing your part.  You can't make them do theirs.  It will catch up to them in the long run.  I know that some people should just reply at least..."sorry I am not interested" if they aren't interested.  I had to do that last night and once today already.  But...at least I respond either way! 

MM is not a waste of time.  It is actually a good resource for people and a good networking tool as well.  It is all on how you use it and the weeding of people that do not act professional.  I hope things get better for you.

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

Mar 08 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

CristinaLex wrote:
1. some might want to see what type of project your interested in doing with them

Then ASK. Saying "I'm interested" doesn't help.

CristinaLex wrote:
3. its better to have things in writing about what is agreed on...what is going to be given for compensation...and also if the model kindly declines your current project but does want to work with you again...she can have those emails to look at for reference as to what yall talked about...

Agreed entirely. I always summarize in a note, especailly if we've only discussed it on the phone.

CristinaLex wrote:
6. and last but not least...it gives everyone an opportunity to see how business like you are...because no matter how bad i like getting emails about how good my pport is...how beautiful i am...my curves this ....LOVE IT....but some times those people who do come at me like that are photographers i talk to for the first time and it is not professional...

A request that says "phone me for more details" that's replied to with email does show how business-like you are. It says "I don't read" or "I won't follow instructions". I'm not sure that's the direction most people want.

I don't ask for a phone call until the outline of the shoot has been described and there's some interest has been expressed. But I do prefer that phone call at that point; some things are MUCH faster on the phone than via many many email exchanges. And I DO include a phone number in my emails, pretty much from the beginning.

Mar 08 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

I can relate to your frustration. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of so called MODELS on this site are just girls fishing for compliments from strangers. They waste your time and are a nuisance. After many false starts I am finaly starting to make contact with girls who are serious about their craft and are reliable. Be patient, it's like anything else in life, you have to weed out the worthwile from the stupid.

Mar 08 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Rewording

It is not the site's fault

It is CERTIAN Newlbie models

Like anything else that separates the boys from the men girls from the ladies.

I agree and can relate with the original photographer who created this thread and can easily find hundreds of others professional photographer who agree.

There are way to many e mail drama queens , Internet lifers and impostors hidden behind profiles.

Your life your choice your career

I know whats right for me and mine and dont waste time in e mail models.

Mar 08 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

John Ricard photography

New York, New York, US

I'm guessing that part of the problem is that your outgoing emails look like they are cut and paste/general offers.  You mention nothing personal about the model in your initial contact (why you chose her specifically, why you think she would be specifically good for this assignment, etc.).

Very valid point, but if the model feels that way then he or she should just ignore the offer -not respond with "I'm interested".

Since your email looks pretty generic, models are probably hesitant to make a phone call and reveal their phone number to a totally unknown (to them) person.

Several people said something like that in this thread, but I don't buy it.  It's a simple matter to block your number when you make a call or to make the call from a public phone.  Also, in my email I give my website address where the model can see my work and I also list several magazines that the model could check to see if I'm legit.  I would expect most of the models that I have emailed to already be familar with the magazines I listed and possible already have them in his or her home already. It's pretty easy to find out if I am legit.

No one wants to immediately call someone just because you wanna work with them...there are weirdos out there and i have called a few...neever again

This is totally illogical.  A model cannot post her image and email contact on a web that is "world wide" and then say they don't want to "immediately call someone".  You can't have it both ways.  If you're going to solict yourself pulbically like this you will be contacted by weirdos and legitimate people.  It only takes a few seconds to figure out which is which.

I appreciate the variety of responses here and I did read them all.  However, I think its odd that only 2 or maybe 3 people pointed out that the models are wrong in their "I'm interested" responses.  Most of the posts imply that the models have some justification for responding "I'm interested" and nothing more.

That's too bad as I know that a model with that type of work ethic will ever succeed in a competitive field like modeling no matter how unique their look may be.

Mar 08 06 05:10 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

I'm right there with you, John.  I've been a member of this site since October.  In that time I've managed to shoot with...ONE photographer off this site.  And it's not for lack of trying.  They don't respond.  They won't set a date.  They don't show up.  Email song and dance.  Meanwhile, I'm booking paid gig after paid other ways (Craig'slist bizzarely, photographers I've worked with before, a casting director I freelance with, friends I have in the magazine industry).  OMP was the same way for me: I got a billion "Desire to work with" messages, but they never went anywhere, and I eventually deleted myself from that site. 

Why am I still here?  I love the message boards.  I resigned myself to the fact that I will never get to shoot with any of you, but you sure are fun to talk to.

Mar 08 06 05:31 pm Link

Model

Roxas

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I actually had my first shoot done with a photographer off of MM. I wont go to craig'slist, it doesnt look trustworthy. I do have a problem with some photographers setting up dates, they are always yeah i want to work with you but a date never falls through.

Mar 08 06 05:36 pm Link