This thread was locked on 2016-04-25 01:58:16
Forums > General Industry > Model Mayhem -Waste of time?

Photographer

SolKat Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

yeah i cant find shit for work in lovely jacksonville and the most beautiful models (rather shoot beauties than nobody) i find here, OMP sucks ass. and i paid 200 there. this sites free and women willing to work for nothing soooooooo smile send a few more emails and you might pop out some more images indeed! remember alot of these girls are YOUNG and dont feel comfortable on the phone quite yet. shit im 28 and i hate talking on the phone!

Mar 11 06 08:25 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Ummm...last time I checked this was the internet and that is the way that you communicate on the internet! Naw Im just kidding...(but it really is)!

Anyways most of the models here would much rather communicate through e-mail because

1. its a privacy issue in the beginning, we dont know if you are who you say you are so why would we just out right give you our number like that

2. its easier to document what you are telling us about the shoot as far as specific details when it is in writing and you can print the evidence of that out!

3. it just much more convenient and you know that you wont be interrupted by work, school, or the occasional child running up and asking if mommy or daddy can get them this while you are on the phone, you talk when you are available to talk

So i personally would prefer an e-mail to a phone call but hey thats me!

Mar 11 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Going Big

Huntsville, Alabama, US

It's not about a website being good or bad; it's about human nature, Some people just need to grow up and show some courtesy and responsibility. I wasted a lot of time and effort setting up a shoot, only to have the model lie to me (I know now that she didn't intend to show) and stand me up. But she's in Playboy now, so I guess she didn't need to work with someone like me. That's not really the point, though; it's about being a decent person and showing other people a little respect.

Mar 11 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ON THE ISSUE OF COMMUNICATION:

i guess Im old fashioned..a phone call at some point for REAL communication is important...you cant really "vibe" on a person solely based on textual dyadic encounters.....

so most poeple set up appointments then just show up without having built any rapport?  Thats so detached like having sex with a stripper at a club LOL...bad analogy...i guess most of the time the detachment or lack of chemistry shows in the pix?

Mar 11 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

To those suggesting that a phone call is NOT a proper way to set up a shoot:

1) -

William Kious wrote:
Bullshit is just as easy to sell over the phone as over the Internet.  I'm not saying that you sell bullshit - but these women have no way of knowing what kind of person you are from one email message.  Very few women are going to willingly call you (or give you a telephone number) after one message.

Nonsense - most of these people communicate via cell phone - I'm fine with not giving out their phone number right away but they can surely call and block their number if they wanted to

2) -

Porchia wrote:
Anyways most of the models here would much rather communicate through e-mail because

1. its a privacy issue in the beginning, we dont know if you are who you say you are so why would we just out right give you our number like that

2. its easier to document what you are telling us about the shoot as far as specific details when it is in writing and you can print the evidence of that out!

3. it just much more convenient and you know that you wont be interrupted by work, school, or the occasional child running up and asking if mommy or daddy can get them this while you are on the phone, you talk when you are available to talk

---> 1 so dont give out your number  - YOU call
---> 2 this is crazy - how many of these models rite anything in specific detail (not to mention how easy it is to misinterperet what that or photog is trying to convey). Moreover, did you say "evidence"? - whao - Do you think you're going to a crime scene?
---> Who is so busy that they can't make time to discuss what both of them wants and have agreed to collaborate?

3) -

William Coleman wrote:
I shoot with lots of models, and I hear this a lot.  I'm sorry so many photogs have wasted your time or faded away, both on OMP and here.  BTW, 3 models I know said they get almost all of their shoots from OMP.  I think the best approach is the shotgun approach.  Get your name out, everywhere, on all the appropriate sites, knowing that few will bear much fruit, but by being on so many sites, you increase your odds.  The model I know who shoots the most uses that approach. And she's not shy about emailing prospects and suggesting shoots.  And she has a mass email mailing list.  She sends chatty, gossipy emails, but of course her real purpose is to remind her circle of photogs that she's alive and well.  It worked on me.  I've shot with her 3 times, partly because her emails keep her in my mind.  :-)

BTW, I've looked at your port, and I'll probably email you directly, somewhere down the road, and invite you to shoot.  It'll be a while b/c there are so many models ahead of you.  No matter.  You probably don't believe me, anyway.  :-)

This is not about having problems with getting models - It's about etiquette in communication. Like I said before, the author of this thread is a well known photographer in the New York fashion/entertainment circuit - That's a fact.

All in all, most of the work we're talking about here is TFP. If a model is so concerned about who is on the other end of the phone line, that's fine. But don't confirm a booking until you are comfortable. That's just the bottom line. Sure there are concerns but regardless - you'll never be 100% in any situation.

I don't know about the rest of you, but for me bookings are often face paced and if you have a look that works for a particular shoot, I'm going to want to book you quickly. If another model comes along and is not as good but is easier to contact, 9 times out of 10 she gets the booking. I can't depend on looking at my emails every hour to see get a response to a particualr question that may make or break a shoot. phone calls are quick and immediate for the most part. This is a reality people - deal with it.

Stop making excuses. If you expect the photographer to 100% professional then you too should be professional%.

End of story

Mar 11 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

What that last guy said.....PERFECT!

Mar 11 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Fine, then let the OP sit and do nothing and let the models appear at his studio and all this would have been avoided.

Next...

lol works for me I care not if the OP gets work or not from this site or any other for that matter I am just sick of the "its a free site crap excuse? so many throw around here

Mar 11 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

John Ricard photography wrote:
I joined this site about a month ago and so far, its been a big waste of time.  Typically it goes like this...  I browse the model pages until I find a model that may be suited for a project that I am working on.  I send an email to the model with breif details about the project and about myself and I ask the model to CALL if he or she is interested.

If a model does not respond, that is fine with me and I do not contact the model again.

However, if a model IS interested, I would expect the model to call so I can provide full details about the project.  However, instead of a phone call, I get email responses like, "I am very interested."

I guess at that point I'm supposed to send ANOTHER email??!!? and we're supposed to go back and forth day after day?  I guess some people think model mayhem is another name for My Space.  I'm not looking for email pen pals -just models for legitimate projects. 

A waste of time?  Yeah, for serious photography, pretty much it is a waste. But it's great for entertainment vaslue.

Why any model would be "interested" in a project but NOT call to secure a spot as part of that project is totally beyond me...

If you'd like to see a sample of 4 email responses that are typical of the sort of responses I've gotten from this site, visit this link:

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/7795/mm4jz.jpg

Mar 11 06 06:53 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

A waste of time? Yes. Addictive...yes.

However, I have gotten many shoots and made many actual connections and REAL friendships by wasting time on here.

Much more so then if I was wasting time masturbating, smoking crack, or any other of a wide variety of things that are even less productive than mm.

Mar 11 06 06:58 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

lapis wrote:
Much more so then if I was wasting time masturbating, smoking crack, or any other of a wide variety of things that are even less productive than mm.

Personally, my regimen of MM, masturbation, and smoking crack have kept me quite productive.  It's all about balance. wink

Mar 12 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Kristin Anne wrote:

Personally, my regimen of MM, masturbation, and smoking crack have kept me quite productive.  It's all about balance. wink

Um, crack.  Maybe that would take the edge off my posterbation jones.  Naw, I'd probably wind up addicted to both.  And my posts would be crack-crazed.

Mar 12 06 12:28 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

William Coleman wrote:

Um, crack.  Maybe that would take the edge off my posterbation jones.  Naw, I'd probably wind up addicted to both.  And my posts would be crack-crazed.

There is a particular poster who will remain unnamed upon whom I have commented, "that's what happens when you can afford computers AND crack." lol.

Mar 12 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

lapis wrote:

There is a particular poster who will remain unnamed upon whom I have commented, "that's what happens when you can afford computers AND crack." lol.

I can think of a guy whose combination of internet abbreviations, creative grammar and ideosyncratic spelling would make deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs like a walk in the park.

Mar 12 06 12:39 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

William Coleman wrote:

I can think of a guy whose combination of internet abbreviations, creative grammar and ideosyncratic spelling would make deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs like a walk in the park.

Hah! but I don't think that is the same one. That one is just ...different... the one I am talking about is aggressively angry.

Mar 12 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

SoloPoint

Parkland, Washington, US

I am looking for models who are willing to spend a little time expermenting.  I have found that many models here are new like me.  I cannot see this as a waste of my time.  I have a "day job", but would love to make photographing beautiful models a large part of my life, and have found that this is the place to search.  If I spend 20 weekends before I find the perfect model, then I have had 40 days in the great outdoors with an added benefit.  I can work an additional 6 years, so there is no emergency on my part.

Mar 12 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

*wonders if we are thinking about the same odd one*

Mar 12 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

lapis wrote:

Hah! but I don't think that is the same one. That one is just ...different... the one I am talking about is aggressively angry.

Yeah, the guy I meant is just incomprehensible.  Well, he could be angry, but there's no way to tell.

Mar 12 06 12:44 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

William Coleman wrote:
Yeah, the guy I meant is just incomprehensible.  Well, he could be angry, but there's no way to tell.

I am a good interpreter....

Mar 12 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Skydivebob

Reno, Nevada, US

This site is a big waste of time. Models are flakes not really looking for work. If they were they'd get back with a reply/follow up email. Most don't even read their emails.

Apr 24 16 10:09 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

Skydivebob wrote:
This site is a big waste of time. Models are flakes not really looking for work. If they were they'd get back with a reply/follow up email. Most don't even read their emails.

Agreed. I never finished this page but am talking about MM in the middle
http://deanlautermilch.com/finding-models-photograph/

Apr 24 16 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Skydivebob wrote:

It doesn't seem much has changed in the last six years, which might knock on the head the theory that MM is going downhill - unless it's always been bad.

Apr 24 16 10:12 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Skydivebob wrote:

Great first post!  Thanks for sharing your whole three months of experience!

If you come in dictating that the world do business on your terms or not at all and expecting models to drop at your feet just because you're awesome, then it's a sure bet you'll think it's a waste of time.  Of course, if you have no concept of humility and no willingness to work, you're going to think everything in life is a waste of time.

Apr 24 16 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Wow this post is 10 years old? 

Most models don't call most text.  Older people like me think that a call is easier, for the younger generation that is not the case.  So buck up and flow with the times.  It only hurts a little bit

Apr 24 16 10:31 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Yeah, but did you notice the OP's latest activity was this month and he has credited photos from 7 different models who are on MM?  It must not have been as useless as he concluded after one month on the site 10 years ago.

Apr 24 16 11:18 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Try hiring an agency model sometime off their head-shot wall and you might run into the same mess.

Sometimes the agency model you pick off their wall wants a very high rate just to get out off the couch and the agency might suggest someone else who is more willing to get off the couch and show up.  Just that they keep the couch-ridden one on their wall because "She looks good."  Okay, she might not even be in their agency anymore either.

So yes, even agency models can flake as well, just that you might have a backup if they are still open during your shoot to get a sub - but I wouldn't wager on it.  Same goes for most any business where the help doesn't show up or want to.

A bit off topic, but I found this interesting at some mountain bar and grill last week where the guy was going off to the owner about some contractor that didn't show up for a job.  Turns out the no-show is suing the guy for his sick leave pay even though he never showed up to do the job in three days!  So the guy hired another contractor as a replacement and the first one is now suing him for his sick leave even though he never showed up to the job?  Really?  He thinks the guy pulled this stunt elsewhere and maybe got some reduced fee for this stunt.  He was pretty mad about it too.  Welcome to litigious USA.

Apr 24 16 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

John Ricard photography wrote:
I joined this site about a month ago and so far, its been a big waste of time.  Typically it goes like this...  I browse the model pages until I find a model that may be suited for a project that I am working on.  I send an email to the model with breif details about the project and about myself and I ask the model to CALL if he or she is interested.

If a model does not respond, that is fine with me and I do not contact the model again.

However, if a model IS interested, I would expect the model to call so I can provide full details about the project.  However, instead of a phone call, I get email responses like, "I am very interested."

I guess at that point I'm supposed to send ANOTHER email??!!? and we're supposed to go back and forth day after day?  I guess some people think model mayhem is another name for My Space.  I'm not looking for email pen pals -just models for legitimate projects. 

Why any model would be "interested" in a project but NOT call to secure a spot as part of that project is totally beyond me...

If you'd like to see a sample of 4 email responses that are typical of the sort of responses I've gotten from this site, visit this link:

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/7795/mm4jz.jpg

Consider changing your MM Name to "Mr. Butt Hurt"

Apr 24 16 11:26 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

There is a lot of hit and miss here but once you start finding the reliable models it can get easier. Of course messaging someone means you have found a model you want to use but they are often unresponsive or have not checked their port in months. sometimes years. That means they gave up or were never really serious about it, (abandoned ports).

I have found that posting a casting call works better than trying to message someone. You may not get the one you want but you will get others answering. The ones that answer are often reliable and even if they don't fit your plan they may fit in on something else in the future.

Apr 24 16 11:30 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

so the model said she was interested... follow up and make plans. many people don't like giving out their phone number so quickly on a lucrative offer. they may want more details n get to know who they are dealing with first.

chill!

Apr 24 16 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Skydivebob wrote:

Wow - 10 year old thread bump. That has to be a MM record.

Apr 24 16 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MM works for me.

Apr 24 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

BTHPhoto wrote:
Yeah, but did you notice the OP's latest activity was this month and he has credited photos from 7 different models who are on MM?  It must not have been as useless as he concluded after one month on the site 10 years ago.

I'd say the thread was worth resurrecting for that reason if for no other.

Just an aside, but I find that the people that use the forums most, and in that order, are:
A--Newbies who haven't reviewed the existing forums and other available tools enough to find the answers that are just sitting there waiting for them and therefore use the forums more to vent the ordinary day-to-day frustrations that most of us are able to take in stride.  Unfortunately, they are sometimes embarrassed by their excessive complaints and continue to use the site to their advantage but without participating in the forums (For example, SENDU's search found only 9 posts by the OP in the 10 years he's been here.)

B--Oldtimers that use the forums more to vent the ordinary day-to-day frustrations that most of us are able to take in stride and therefore don't use the tools available to them to reduce their frustrations.

C-- (and thank God for them)  Folks old and new that take the time to respond helpfully and informatively. 

All IMHO as always, of course.

Apr 24 16 01:40 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Skydivebob wrote:

Wow! Of course, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems that with only a few months here, and ONLY ONE POST and no other visible activity that would show that you're actually making contacts and using the site, that your comment doesn't really have any weight to it.

And that one post is nothing more than a 10 year old thread bump.

We can't really take you seriously, can we?

Apr 24 16 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by DeanR

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

Greg Kolack wrote:
Wow - 10 year old thread bump. That has to be a MM record.

I call dibs on bumping it in 2026!
Called it.   smile

LOCKED! Now how am I gonna bump it?

Apr 24 16 04:34 pm Link