Forums > General Industry > GWC - Guy with Camera - The real DEFINITION.......

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

OK, I'll chip in here with my definition of a GWC:

1) They have no social graces, tend to be very awkward and are your slightly older nerdy kids who have never been intimate with a woman in their lives and have no idea how to relate to them

2) They have no clue on the technical side of photography such as lighting, using the right shutter speed, aperture control.  Most of the time they use point-and-shoot compact cameras as they wouldn't be able to understand the workings of a digital SLR.

3) They are not street smart and dislike paperwork, thus not having a clue as to their rights as a photographer and the rights of a model

4) They usually solicit for models by the use of 'kerb crawling' (although a number of well-known and respected photographers do this like Spencer Tunick who is seen soliciting people in the streets with fliers to pose nude for the installation he is doing in their town)

5) They don't usually read through online model's profiles thoroughly to get better acquainted with the work they're prepared to do - if a model appeals to them through the photos alone they zoom in straight for the kill by messaging them.  A good photographer will want to get a bit of background information on his model before shooting her so that she can feel at ease with him.

There are a few more that I can think of, but I'm feeling a bit tired at the moment (it's nearly 11 pm in Australia as I'm writing this).

Sep 29 09 05:51 am Link

Model

Sasha Ann-Marie

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

creepy old men who wanna shoot "glam" in their basement... and ALL their shots come out all grainy with the girl in a thong bent over. And he only does TF! lol hmmm. met one of those recently

Sep 29 09 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Edward Chen

Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia

the most dangerous threat top the industry is : GWC with pile of cash dollars.

They will keep the newbie models hired and build attitude on them.

Sep 29 09 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

*waits for someone to notice the date of this thread*

Sep 29 09 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

M. Wrath

New Haven, Connecticut, US

i see spots

Sep 29 09 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Essential Form

Sedalia, Missouri, US

Paul Bryson Photography wrote:
*waits for someone to notice the date of this thread*

Really.  Of all the gin joints in all the world someone just had to bump this one.

Sep 29 09 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Edward Chen Photography wrote:

While I believe the notion of GWC is a necessary element in the desire of most of the photographers on this site to have at least someone to look down on, your hypothesis is pure bullshit.

Sep 29 09 07:47 pm Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

A GWC is, IMHO, any photographer who is not working towards submission, sales or publication, and is really just taking pictures to satisfy their own interest.

I love them.  They pay a lot of my bills, because they like to hire me. big_smile

Sep 29 09 07:48 pm Link

Model

-Maria-

Chicago, Illinois, US

this could possibly be one of the funniest threads I have read in a while... LOL!

Sep 29 09 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Keith A Williams

Vanceboro, North Carolina, US

Sadly, there are creeps and perverts with Photography, just as there in every other aspect of life.  Just pick and choose who you work with wisely.

KAW.

Sep 29 09 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

At least he has money to pay the babes.  The worst kind is the one pretending they are not a GWC and take pic of the babes w/o paying them.  Sadly every male photographer here is a GWC otherwise they will be taking pic of the birds instead of the young chicks.  smile

Sep 29 09 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Alex M

Houston, Texas, US

I wonder what you would call a guy that gets himself all dressed up and puts on cologne so he can attract women out on the town on a Sturday night?

a GWC? Guy With Cologne?....How dare he, trying to smell all good and stuff, just so he can get chicks to date him, what a creep.  I'm sure many of you ladies have met this guy haven't you?

Sep 29 09 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

The Original Sin wrote:
A GWC is, IMHO, any photographer who is not working towards submission, sales or publication, and is really just taking pictures to satisfy their own interest.

I love them.  They pay a lot of my bills, because they like to hire me. big_smile

You just described 99.9% of the males here.............. ding ding........ smile

FYI, I am working on a NUDE book, so there you, i am not a gwc, hahaha

Sep 29 09 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I miss that Hollywood Starlet

Sep 29 09 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

J-DEW-PHOTO wrote:
A true perv keeps it to themself.

Oh I don't know about that...since fully embracing my perviness, I have more people wanting to shoot with me than ever.

Sep 30 09 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Sasha W wrote:
creepy old men who wanna shoot "glam" in their basement... and ALL their shots come out all grainy with the girl in a thong bent over. And he only does TF! lol hmmm. met one of those recently

Full of misinformation, especially as far as TF.

Closer to the truth.

A photographer paying a model has more leverage to be a jerk than one who shoots trade.

Sep 30 09 08:30 am Link

Photographer

The Divine Emily Fine

Owings Mills, Maryland, US

No!

For chrissakes, the only thing that makes a GWC a GWC is the fact they got into photography for the bewbs.

I know tons of GWCs who are great photographers, who've got mad skills but the fact is that their motivation is simple - bewbies.

I know fashion GWCs, I know glamour GWCs, I know GWCs with artwork in galleries.

There is no fancy equation to figure it out, and you cannot look at someones port and know they are a GWC.

I hate having to explain this 20 times to people who thing GWC means someone is amateur or lacks skills.

Sep 30 09 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

The Original Sin wrote:

definitions are problematic. You just defined "hobbyist," too. wink

Sep 30 09 08:45 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sophistocles wrote:

Hobbyists who're in it for the bewbs qualify.

Sep 30 09 09:03 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Hobbyists who're...

nothing to add other than i found the contraction of "who are" interesting!

Sep 30 09 09:08 am Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Sophistocles wrote:

Hobbyists are GWCs IMO.

Hell, I don't shoot models, but I am a hobbyists- I proposition frogs and other smal things all the time for shoots!  And I don't even pay them!

Sep 30 09 09:43 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Hobbyists who're...

291 wrote:

You need to put thar in proper internet parlance:

https://media.nscdn.com/uploads/cache/images/1246840720-798884-400x300-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

lol

Sep 30 09 10:05 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

291 wrote:

nothing to add?

you are uniquely qualified to respond to this thread......

Sep 30 09 10:13 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

291 wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:
nothing to add?

??

Orly?

Sep 30 09 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

peter leverett wrote:
i agree, there are to many of them.....there are a few that think they are a model agent, photographer, director, and so on....

take a look at a Pro GWC... http://www.paulrobertsint.com/

Don't those fall more under "Sluggo" ??

Sep 30 09 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Sophistocles wrote:

I'm a "Hobbyist" but I certainly don't see myself as a GWC.

Sep 30 09 11:24 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

291 wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:
nothing to add?

SLE Photography wrote:
??

doug and i share a long history on these interwebnet modeling sites.  i believe he is referring to back in 2001 or 02 when i made an observation by using the acronym gwc which hadn't been a previous label give to those exemplifying the characteristic.

certainly debatable whether it was i who coined the term, but the term's presence certainly grew from making that initial assessment made on the other model place site.

either that or doug knows i like seeing b(o)(o)bies!

Sep 30 09 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

291 wrote:
doug and i share a long history on these interwebnet modeling sites.  i believe he is referring to back in 2001 or 02 when i made an observation by using the acronym gwc which hadn't been a previous label give to those exemplifying the characteristic.

certainly debatable whether it was i who coined the term, but the term's presence certainly grew from making that initial assessment made on the other model place site.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.  TY for the clarification.  smile

Sep 30 09 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Hobbyists who're in it for the bewbs qualify.

I'm a hobbyist.  I don't believe I'm a GWC though....

I'd shoot more clothed shoots but the nude models are the only ones who seem to show up.....

yikes  lol

Sep 30 09 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Oh Gary photography

Humble, Texas, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
if his motivation for taking photos is only to get women naked then he's a GWC regardless of the quality of his work.

How exactly do we divine someone's intent or motivation unless he tells us himself? Guessing about it isn't fair---

Sep 30 09 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Oh Gary photography

Humble, Texas, US

Robert Randall wrote:
...the notion of GWC is a necessary element in the desire of most of the photographers on this site to have at least someone to look down on...

I think Robert is on to something.

Sep 30 09 06:17 pm Link

Model

Holly Hell

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom

It may have already been discussed on here (but I'm useless at skimming), but is there anywhere on here where we can name and warn other models/togs/MUAs/etc the names of GWC's?

I worked with one 7 months ago, who uses other people's images in his portfolio (I've seen them elsewhere long before meeting him and KNOW they're not his) and despite constant contact, I've not had ANY of the images back.

I think he may be on here somewhere, and am slightly worried he'll take advantage of other girls (as he seems to do this often, working TF only or charges you, doesn't know how to use any settings on his camera other than the standard setting it was on when he bought it AND shies away from contact when you want the images back). Oh, he also never gave me a release to sign, and said he would post me one later that week.
As I say, this was seven months ago, and still nothing. I've threatened him with legal action, and that was the only thing that got him to respond, saying he hoped to sort it amicably and without that having to happen, but after that, NOTHING! AGAIN!!

*and breathe*
Sorry...I went on a bit of a rant there that is probably not relevant to this thread, but if your eye's aren't bleeding yet, I could do with some help on how to deal with this guy :S

Nov 06 09 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

MissBrutal wrote:
It may have already been discussed on here (but I'm useless at skimming), but is there anywhere on here where we can name and warn other models/togs/MUAs/etc the names of GWC's?

I worked with one 7 months ago, who uses other people's images in his portfolio (I've seen them elsewhere long before meeting him and KNOW they're not his) and despite constant contact, I've not had ANY of the images back.

I think he may be on here somewhere, and am slightly worried he'll take advantage of other girls (as he seems to do this often, working TF only or charges you, doesn't know how to use any settings on his camera other than the standard setting it was on when he bought it AND shies away from contact when you want the images back). Oh, he also never gave me a release to sign, and said he would post me one later that week.
As I say, this was seven months ago, and still nothing. I've threatened him with legal action, and that was the only thing that got him to respond, saying he hoped to sort it amicably and without that having to happen, but after that, NOTHING! AGAIN!!

*and breathe*
Sorry...I went on a bit of a rant there that is probably not relevant to this thread, but if your eye's aren't bleeding yet, I could do with some help on how to deal with this guy :S

That's not a GWC, that's a guy you are having a disagreement with.

Nov 06 09 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Haarvey Aardvark

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Hollywood Starlet wrote:
'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera

So since I'm more likely to show up at a shoot with a film camera, I'm off the hook?

*whew*

Nov 06 09 01:16 pm Link

Model

MissSybarite

Los Angeles, California, US

Hollywood Starlet wrote:
Do you agree with this definition of "GWC?"

GWC -Guy With Camera

Commonly used in the modeling/photographer biz, 'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera pretending to be a pro/semi-pro photographer. With the introduction of digital cameras, GWC's have appeared like an explosion in a toy store.

GWC's typically steal the work of others and don't have any references.
"Some GWC asked me to 'test' for him, what a creep."

"What's with all the GWC's on OneModelPlace.com, lately?"

"Damn GWC's are ruining it for the rest of us." - Pro Photographers

Provided by: www.urbandictionary.com

...or do you have a better definition?

They don't take the lens cap off when they're shooting big_smile big_smile big_smile

Nov 06 09 01:17 pm Link

Model

MissSybarite

Hollywood Starlet wrote:
'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera

Haarvey Aardvark wrote:
So since I'm more likely to show up at a shoot with a film camera, I'm off the hook?

*whew*

Yup, everyone knows GWCs don't use film big_smile big_smile big_smile

and the oldest definition of GWC = Guy With Cave big_smile big_smile big_smile

Nov 06 09 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Haarvey Aardvark

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Miss Anthrope 1007 wrote:
and the oldest definition of GWC = Guy With Cave big_smile big_smile big_smile

I has cave! Welllll... ok it's more like an underground parking deck...

Nov 06 09 01:21 pm Link

Model

Holly Hell

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom

Chris Keeling wrote:
That's not a GWC, that's a guy you are having a disagreement with.

Sorry, I forgot to add that they were nude ones, my *first* nude shoot experience (believe me, I know I'm a fool for doing it now but didn't at the time) and he was taking shots of my boobs and stuff without me knowing, and quickly transferred them to his computer/moved specific ones to different folders (I think so anyways, otherwise it took over 30 minutes for the images to move from his memory card) before showing me any of them, and even then I only saw a couple.

Like others have said, in it for the boobs, little to no experience, plenty of plagiarism in his portfolio. Pretty much makes this guy a GWC (Y) it's just a shame he's one that seems to be difficult to get in touch with in order to recieve the 'questionable' photos he took.

Nov 06 09 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Face the Light

Olivet, Michigan, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
While GWC is used on many sites to mean simply "guy with camera" with the implication that he may not have much skill or professionalism, the Model Mayhem usage is a little stricter:-

https://www.modelmayhem.com/faqs.php?fa … =22&link=1

Basically, if you call someone a GWC here you are accusing him of only being interested in seeing naked women for his own pleasure and using his camera as a prop to facilitate that. By this definition, a GWC might actually have excellent photography skills, but if his motivation for taking photos is only to get women naked then he's a GWC regardless of the quality of his work.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

That's pretty much how I see it.  Motivation, not skill, is the key.

Nov 06 09 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Hollywood Starlet wrote:
Do you agree with this definition of "GWC?"

GWC -Guy With Camera

Commonly used in the modeling/photographer biz, 'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera pretending to be a pro/semi-pro photographer. With the introduction of digital cameras, GWC's have appeared like an explosion in a toy store.

GWC's typically steal the work of others and don't have any references.
"Some GWC asked me to 'test' for him, what a creep."

"What's with all the GWC's on OneModelPlace.com, lately?"

"Damn GWC's are ruining it for the rest of us." - Pro Photographers

Provided by: www.urbandictionary.com

...or do you have a better definition?

Ahh Hell.  Does this mean I can't be a GWC any longer cause I shoot film?  Didn't GWCs exist before digital cameras.  I'm sure they did!  You're going to have to delete the digital part of the definition.

The above posters are correct.  It's the initial motivation for hiring the model that gets one the title GWC.

Edit:  Oops.  I didn't know this was 7 freakin' pages.

Nov 06 09 01:43 pm Link