Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Immigration Issue: What side are you?

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Please be civil here too!

Me:

I belive that if you can be productive, civil, abid by our laws, and  pay taxes then you should be given an oppurtunity to live here.

If you for some reason can't do ALL these things then you should not be allowed to live here.

Nothing great in this world is free. Freedom is very very expensive, and we have paid dearly over the years. So, why should we allow others to come overhere and taint our way of live by freeloading on us.

I lived for four years in Fresno, CA. I meet many migrant workers who where both pleasant, respectful and very hard working. They where doing work that 99% of Americans didn't want to do. These families got working visas, did there job and went back to Mexico after the season and return next season. Great for all involved! I respect that.

I have also meet some people who snuck into California looking to have their child here so they could stay here. They had no skills, no idea on how to support themselves, and they spoke little english. They wanted to get government subsidies for themselves and their child. At first I felt bad for them, and that I could understand their situation. But, a week later I was speaking to the husband and he told me that they got pregnant so they could use the baby as a hook into the U.S !!! I was floored!!!

Again, I stand on my first statement.

What do you think? Again, be civil.

Apr 01 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I'm on the side of rational discussion and human decency.  I think there is an issue that needs resolved, but there's so much fanatic nationalism and redneck macho bullshitting that the real issue has become a sidebar.  Too many people itching for a fight, not enough looking for a solution.

Apr 01 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Me:

I belive that if you can be productive, civil, abid by our laws, and  pay taxes then you should be given an oppurtunity to live here.

If you for some reason can't do ALL these things then you should not be allowed to live here.

Yep! As an immigrant, I agree with you.

I know that there are many people who live here, do exactly that, work hard, pay their taxes and are very productive.

With the law thing, that could be difficult, because I also know of a case where a legal immigrant started a business and a US citizen took advantage of the dude, set him up and then run when the law came down on the biz owner, while the US citizen took a hike leaving the immigrant holding the bag.

Apparently, that's an isolated case, but I hear other stories of similar cases were immigrants being taking advantage of by domestic crooks.

Point is, in general you are right, but as always... there are exceptions that deserve closer scrutiny.

Apr 01 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
I'm on the side of rational discussion and human decency.  I think there is an issue that needs resolved, but there's so much fanatic nationalism and redneck macho bullshitting that the real issue has become a sidebar.  Too many people itching for a fight, not enough looking for a solution.

Well said!

Apr 01 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Me:

You have to be productive?  Civil?  Abide by the laws?  Pay taxes?  You're gonna empty out this country!

Apr 01 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

William Coleman wrote:

You have to be productive?  Civil?  Abide by the laws?  Pay taxes?  You're gonna empty out this country!

Of course...!

Someone's got to do the job! big_smile

Apr 01 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

It gets hard when the law treats immigrants as potential terrorist.

EDIT: I have no problems with immigration, I just wish it wouldnt be so hard for people to gain citizenship, which is probally the reason why there is a high number of "illegals".

Apr 01 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am on the side of the people of the First Nations.

Apr 01 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

.... and I don't even know what side that is....

Apr 01 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Karl Blessing wrote:
It gets hard when the law treats immigrants as potential terrorist.

Because sometimes they are. (They might be 1 in 10,000,000) That 1 person could effect many millions of people forever.

What is your solution to protect America, yet let aliens in to become part of our culture? Do you have one?

Apr 01 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Maria Rivera-Rodriquez

Heidelberg, Minnesota, US

I'm with Tim.  Both my parents came to the states in the 60's, and despite living off of welfare for the most part, both my parents still worked at one given time outside the home to supplement the incomes all together.  If anyone got arrested it was my father who somehow (Mother's side of the story) wanted to go back to Mexico??? LOL, well guess he couldn't make up his mind! Either that or the treatment he received was not all welcoming?? Oh well, he's passed on now and it's just Mother now.  I believe if you can be productive anywhere it would only enrich our communities throughout the world!
I live in Anchorage and see a large community of Hispanics here and Mexican Restaurants everywhere, so I guess Americans do love us!!!! LOL
It's a tough issue!

Apr 01 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Because sometimes they are. (They might be 1 in 10,000,000) That 1 person could effect many millions of people forever.

What is your solution to protect America, yet let aliens in to become part of our culture? Do you have one?

I'm one of those people who beleives that I should not give up my liberties for the sake of security. Those who sacrifice liberties for security deserve neither.

Apr 01 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Stephen Dawson wrote:

The Indian of the U.S. where far less tolerant of aliens in there tribes. No mixing of people was allowed. None!

So, what do you think there policy would have been today?

M

Apr 01 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

True!

I am sure that much stricter immigration laws would have kept Timmothy McVeigh, Theodore Kaczynski (both home grown terrorists) and Jeffrey Dahmer (man with big appetite) out of this country.

Apr 01 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Why doesn't any aliens want to be Productive in their own homeland? If they know they are going to sacrifice themselves for their kids and grandkids, then why don't they try to make there own home better?

I am lucky in that I stand on top of eight generations of Americans in my family. I understand that the place was set for me, though not perfect better than most people around the world. But, I still grew up poor, wore 'hand-me-downs' till the day I joined the US Marines, paid my way through College, and started my own business. I know I live in a country that help make me who I am and I am thankful. I am still willing to sacrifice for the future betterment of this country and its people.

People change governments, people change laws, people change economies, people change societies. But, if the people leave then you have not foundation for which to stand.

M

Apr 01 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

UdoR wrote:

True!

I am sure that much stricter immigration laws would have kept Timmothy McVeigh, Theodore Kaczynski (both home grown terrorists) and Jeffrey Dahmer (man with big appetite) out of this country.

True. But is has caught many hundreds or thousands befor they acted.

Apr 01 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Why doesn't any aliens want to be Productive in their own homeland? If they know they are going to sacrifice themselves for their kids and grandkids, then why don't they try to make there own home better?

I am lucky in that I stand on top of eight generations of Americans in my family. I understand that the place was set for me, though not perfect better than most people around the world. But, I still grew up poor, wore 'hand-me-downs' till the day I joined the US Marines, paid my way through College, and started my own business. I know I live in a country that help make me who I am and I am thankful. I am still willing to sacrifice for the future betterment of this country and its people.

People change governments, people change laws, people change economies, people change societies. But, if the people leave then you have not foundation for which to stand.

M

I dont mean any offense, but I think yer being quite ignorant of the state and conditions of these other countries as well as how to get certain goverments or regiems to do what they want.... That and people will follow a dream or promise to no ends.

Apr 01 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

True. But is has caught many hundreds or thousands befor they acted.

Says Who? Bush Administration?

Apr 01 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'd love to say that they should all go through proper channels, but can any one tell me exactly what the process for US citizenship is? 

I live in San Diego in a neighborhood that is predominantly black and hispanic.  I know for a fact that there's a stong mix of full citizens, legal aliens, and illegals here..  But I can not get a proper explanation of what a person has to go through to gain citizenship or legal alien status..

My understanding is you can not even get citizenship without having been a resident a certain number of years..  The rules seem confusing and contradictory.. And that's to me, an English speaking native..  I can only imagine how hard and confusing it must be to follow the rules as an immigrant.. Especially when so many of us (Americans) are flat out racists and don't want them here..

Apr 01 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

If you follow that argument through, the whole world should be a collection of independent cities with no exchange between them.

Apr 01 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
The Indian of the U.S. where far less tolerant of aliens in there tribes. No mixing of people was allowed. None!

M

Well, with hindsite, they would have slaughtered the white man as the boats reached shore.

Instead, they trusted you. Offered Thanksgiving.

You established colonies. And slaughtered them.

Apr 01 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:
Well, with hindsite, they would have slaughtered the white man as the boats reached shore.

Instead, they trusted you. Offered Thanksgiving.

You established colonies. And slaughtered them.

Over-generalization.  There were peaceful tribes...also savagely hostile ones.  This caused problems for all involved.

And the first slaughters ocurred due to epidemics...those little unseen germs.

And quite frankly, no one is native anywhere unless your in the fertile crescent of the middle east.  Everyone came from somewhere else.

Apr 01 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

Mark, that's an overbroad statement it depends entirely on which group of people you were talking about. 

But you are right about homeland security.  If it had been tighter in 1492 or when the pilgrims arrived the mess now would be different!

Apr 01 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I'm on the side of the humans!!

mjr.

Apr 01 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
I'm on the side of the humans!!

Bigot!! big_smile

Apr 01 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

I don't like illegal immigration.  But we in the US have to start understanding the world around us because it does affect us.  NAFTA GATT etc etc have had major implication in economies and for supremely poor people already suffering.   If people in their home nations don't have an economicially viable alternative, there will be no end to illegal immigration in the US no matter how strict the rules are.

Apr 01 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

I'm on the side of the USA.  I'm probably a lot nastier in my attitude than most of you. I guess maybe that is becuse I've been here longer.
(Of course you realise that every one of the illegals in this country, as their very first act, broke our laws.)

1) Shut down the border. Whatever it takes, but no one who is uninvited gets in. If that takes the NG and machine guns and Cobra gunships, so be it.

2) All illegal immigrants already here have 90 days to register with INS and get green cards. Such cards will be iussued for anyone not under indictment or who is found to have been convicted of a felony. Those are deported - period.

3) After the 90 day period, anyone who has knowingly hired illegals shall pay a $1000 /day/person fine, due immediately and continuing until the infraction stops. Antone making a case that they were shown proof of a green card falsely shall pay a find of $100 /day/per person and those false claimers will be deported immediately.

4) All green card holders have five years to become American Citizens. One test for citizenship shall be fluency in English. Good faith attempts should be made to help them in this process.

5) To relieve the shortage of labor caused by this, amuch more open legal immigration policy shall be designed and put in place. Part of the allowable criteria for entry shall be no convictions or indictment for a felony (not cleared) here or in their country of origin .

6) Any immigrant who is convicted of a felony which could result in a prison term of longer than 1 year, shall be deported after serving his/her sentence.

7) No schools will be bilingual. Remedial classes in the English language will be offered.

8) Any child born in this country whose parents are both illegal aliens shall not be an American Citizen until at least one of his/her parents is naturalized.

Apr 01 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

This American lives and works abroad, and I'm glad most European countries are not QUITE as hard-core as we are... though the UK definitely tries to be, and the EU is getting worse.

Why do I live/work abroad? Ironically enough, lack of employment opportunities in my chosen profession coupled with a comparatively poorer working environment when compared to European markets.

Apr 01 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

Chelsea Gilgore

Seattle, Washington, US

Lens N Light wrote:
I'm on the side of the USA.  I'm probably a lot nastier in my attitude than most of you. I guess maybe that is becuse I've been here longer.
(Of course you realise that every one of the illegals in this country, as their very first act, broke our laws.)

1) Shut down the border. Whatever it takes, but no one who is uninvited gets in. If that takes the NG and machine guns and Cobra gunships, so be it.

2) All illegal immigrants already here have 90 days to register with INS and get green cards. Such cards will be iussued for anyone not under indictment or who is found to have been convicted of a felony. Those are deported - period.

3) After the 90 day period, anyone who has knowingly hired illegals shall pay a $1000 /day/person fine, due immediately and continuing until the infraction stops. Antone making a case that they were shown proof of a green card falsely shall pay a find of $100 /day/per person and those false claimers will be deported immediately.

4) All green card holders have five years to become American Citizens. One test for citizenship shall be fluency in English. Good faith attempts should be made to help them in this process.

5) To relieve the shortage of labor caused by this, amuch more open legal immigration policy shall be designed and put in place. Part of the allowable criteria for entry shall be no convictions or indictment for a felony (not cleared) here or in their country of origin .

6) Any immigrant who is convicted of a felony which could result in a prison term of longer than 1 year, shall be deported after serving his/her sentence.

7) No schools will be bilingual. Remedial classes in the English language will be offered.

8) Any child born in this country whose parents are both illegal aliens shall not be an American Citizen until at least one of his/her parents is naturalized.

I have to agree with some of your statements. While I have nothing against immigrants, they should come in to our country legally. That being said, we need to make sure its not just the southern border we are talking about. Plenty of illegal immigrants come here from Canada as well.

Apr 01 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

dennis potter

Emeryville, California, US

i have to spill my story cuz i like this site.

im a gay man with a foreign partner who lost his job immediately post 9/11, when so many immigrant workers, esp. tecchies were laid off or fired. 50,000 is the number i read on reputable sites. 50,000 workers laid off within a month. so he had to leave after 10 years of being a monog couple, no new job, no stay. there is no gay marriage working, and no way he can return to stay without a job sponsor and that is unlikely after the tech collapse. this was an MBA programmer with several years of experience, not a gardener.

Americans know so little about our own immigrant workers, 80% of whom never get a green card and pay SS without hope of refund. no vote, no voice. they are sposed to kiss our feet to be in america. is this fair? we are now long distance couple who have to cross half the globe to be together. so tell me whats fair? america is a slave state still in so many ways.
its about cheap labor u guys.

Apr 01 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Lens N Light wrote:

This is a strong stance, but I agree with most of your points except for #1, only because of the possibility of itchy trigger fingers and much loss of life ensuing.

Apr 01 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

dennis potter

Emeryville, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

we are all aliens here, even the first nations. do u sincerely think no american born citizens are terrorists? think about it. kansas city?

Apr 01 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Maybe we should all leave, any of us who aren't 100 percent Native American

Apr 01 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

dennis potter wrote:
i have to spill my story cuz i like this site.

im a gay man with a foreign partner who lost his job immediately post 9/11, when so many immigrant workers, esp. tecchies were laid off or fired. 50,000 is the number i read on reputable sites. 50,000 workers laid off within a month. so he had to leave after 10 years of being a monog couple, no new job, no stay. there is no gay marriage working, and no way he can return to stay without a job sponsor and that is unlikely after the tech collapse. this was an MBA programmer with several years of experience, not a gardener.

Americans know so little about our own immigrant workers, 80% of whom never get a green card and pay SS without hope of refund. no vote, no voice. they are sposed to kiss our feet to be in america. is this fair? we are now long distance couple who have to cross half the globe to be together. so tell me whats fair? america is a slave state still in so many ways.
its about cheap labor u guys.

I am sorry about yoiur problem, but under my plan, immigrants can stand straight and proud as a part of the American work place. It is my feeling (and my hope) that unscrupulous employers could no longer blackmail these poor folk into working for peanuts. They would have to at least meet minimum wage standards. Sure I'll have to spend twice as much for a lot of my produce, but I'm willing to do that.

Apr 01 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

veester wrote:

This is a strong stance, but I agree with most of your points except for #1, only because of the possibility of itchy trigger fingers and much loss of life ensuing.

Problem is, if you don't shut down the border, none of the rest will work.

Apr 01 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
we in the US have to start understanding the world around us because it does affect us.  NAFTA GATT etc etc have had major implication in economies and for supremely poor people already suffering.   If people in their home nations don't have an economicially viable alternative, there will be no end to illegal immigration in the US no matter how strict the rules are.

exactly.  i just talked about this with my dad.  apparently, the US government subsidizes our farmers so our corn export is able to under-sell mexican produced corn in mexico.  so basically we shut down these small farmers in mexico because they can't compete with our prices.  then they are forced to pack up and come to the US to work in our fields.

Apr 01 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ironic that we get angry at immigrant workers for devaluing the american job market, while our own CEO's are happily offshoring entire industries..

Does anyone else feel like patriotism is being used as a shiny distraction while the ultra-rich stripmine the country?

"Sure, we've moved an entire tier of middle income jobs to India, but LOOK!  Paco over there can't even pronounce the word 'job'!"

The education system is gutted, those taking the lion's share of the GNP don't pay their fair share of taxes because while people are forced to have nationalities, companies can detatch themselves like pirate ships roving the seas..

While you're busy pointing your finger and growling at Paco, just seems like you should be aware, unless you're related to one of the new robber barons, you're on your way to BEING Paco..

Apr 01 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Lens N Light wrote:

You should run for office. (not sarcasm) You would have my vote. My attitude is we have laws in place that cover the entire situation. If you don't like the laws change them, but until you do enforce them. It really is black and white.

Apr 01 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

A lot of Americans are very unrealistic about the sturggles of immigrants.  This idea that we have of the american dream, of someone coming here with nothing and only hard work being what it takes isn't real.  It was invented by rich white people who are afraid of different cultures.  Now I am NOT saying it isn't possible because many hard working immigrants do find success but they have many more obstacles than others (even the legal ones.)  It's tons harder especially when people here think they are too good to learn another language.  What woudl hurt if we learned  a little spansih?  Americans are so arrogant and lazy they won't even make an effort.

What America needs to do first is to take responsibility of our own contribution to the state of some other countries.  Yes, we contribute immensely to the struggles of these economies, and then we treat people badly for wanting a better life.  Maybe if America had a better system people would not need to come over illegally.  I'm not saying illegal immigration is the answer, but America causes its own problems a lot of the time.  You start at the root, not the symptom to fix things.  Only then will we have a handle on the immigration issue.

Apr 01 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Sharon Gutowski wrote:
A lot of Americans are very unrealistic about the sturggles of immigrants.  This idea that we have of the american dream, of someone coming here with nothing and only hard work being what it takes isn't real.  It was invented by rich white people who are afraid of different cultures.  Now I am NOT saying it isn't possible because many hard working immigrants do find success but they have many more obstacles than others (even the legal ones.)  It's tons harder especially when people here think they are too good to learn another language.  What woudl hurt if we learned  a little spansih?  Americans are so arrogant and lazy they won't even make an effort.

What America needs to do first is to take responsibility of our own contribution to the state of some other countries.  Yes, we contribute immensely to the struggles of these economies, and then we treat people badly for wanting a better life.  Maybe if America had a better system people would not need to come over illegally.  I'm not saying illegal immigration is the answer, but America causes its own problems a lot of the time.  You start at the root, not the symptom to fix things.  Only then will we have a handle on the immigration issue.

While we are learning Spanish we should also probablily learn Vietnamese, Japanese and an assortment of other languages so that we can all just get along. The silliest solution I've heard yet... I'm sorry but when I knew I was going to be in Japan for two years I learned how to read, write and speak Japanese. I WAS ONLY GOING TO BE THERE 2 YEARS!!! When someone wants to change their life and move to another country if they expect any success at all they better learn the language of the country they intend to succeed in. CHANGING YOUR LIFE 101

Apr 01 06 03:57 pm Link