Forums > Photography Talk > Sharing technical info - Good or bad?

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

As a naive and geeky engineer, I am often tempted to share technical information on shoots in gory detail.

I have learned to restrain myself for two reasons: Possibly giving away "secrets" or boring my audience to tears.

Apr 16 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
As a naive and geeky engineer, I am often tempted to share technical information on shoots in gory detail.

I have learned to restrain myself for two reasons: Possibly giving away "secrets" or boring my audience to tears.

Ha!  If you don't overdo it, nobody will be bored.  As for sharing secrets... scared someone will come along and out-do you with your own setup?  Really though, why keep it to yourself?  Anyone savvy enough to pull off your tricks could probably look at your photos and figure a way to replicate the looks, even if a different setup is used.  If you think sharing your techniques will diminish the money in your pocket and the food on your table, then don't share. 

On the other hand, perhaps being open about them and daring others to outdo you using them may make you a better shooter...

Apr 16 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

If I am asked for details about a shoot I will offer the information.
Even if they know exactly what I did it doesn't matter since our talent is different and we would not take the same pictures.
On decriptions of images I try to not mention anything so as to not influence one's initial feelings.

Apr 16 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:
Possibly giving away "secrets"

This is the most ludicrous thing I've heard (and I hear it many times on these boards - not a slam against you).

I work mostly in film and video and there are NO secrets.  Anybody, no matter how big, will gladly tell anyone else, no matter how small, how they did something.  Technical matters are simply a way to achieve a vision.  Whether you tell me how to do something or someone else does or I learn it through trial and error, eventually I or anyone else will be able to learn the technical aspects.  It is the vision which is of value, not the means by which you achieve it.

Apr 16 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Paramour Productions wrote:

This is the most ludicrous thing I've heard (and I hear it many times on these boards - not a slam against you).

I work mostly in film and video and there are NO secrets.  Anybody, no matter how big, will gladly tell anyone else, no matter how small, how they did something.  Technical matters are simply a way to achieve a vision.  Whether you tell me how to do something or someone else does or I learn it through trial and error, eventually I or anyone else will be able to learn the technical aspects.  It is the vision which is of value, not the means by which you achieve it.

I agree about technical "secrets". I am not sophisticated enough to have done anything that could not be figured out. Just me, a D50, SB600, diffuser, and two lenses.

What is worthy of secrecy are locations that set you apart others. I have worked hard to find and proof locations and make connections with others that own or control them. Giving away such a place too easily might cause someone to go there with misguided intentions and ruin it for everyone else or make it too popular.

Apr 16 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

Think about it... everything out there can be done... and you can read any magazine shot if you look at the model's eyes.... everything else is expereince... and i love learning that a shot I loved was done in natural light.... that makes me look at the film used and then I use that knowledge in my work.

Materials change all the time. To do all the expereiments yourself is nuts. Post and share technical data... the composition and the ideas are yours to keep!

-Marek

Apr 17 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Tech data is great.  It's easy to skim past if you're not interested, and it's not enough to give away anything secret, but for those who are interested, it's fascinating.

Apr 17 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I say do whatever you want. 

You shouldn't feel obligated to keep mum.
nor should you feel obligated to gab.

I respect photographers who talk, and I respect those who don't. 

(unless you cover your tracks in photoshop, you can tell the general set up of most shots by simply looking.)

Apr 17 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rp_photo wrote:

If I could get half the people in my department to feel the same way as you, and actually document the network and all our business processes in gory detail, I'd get more rest and the Senior Managers would stop being nitpicky...ohhh,,,wait up.

If everything was properly documented, we might not have our normal chaos and crisis situations, which would mean, we'd be working so efficiently that a good part of our days will have no work to do at all, which would mean Senior Managers would most likely be bored out of their skulls and the next thing you know, they'll start nitpicking our haircuts and send us to technical colleges to fix our penmanship.

YIKES!!!

Nevermind. Don't share. Good thing!  big_smile

Apr 17 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Time to dust off an old Thomas Jefferson quote:

"It would be curious then, if an idea, the fugitive fermentation of an individual brain, could, of natural right, be claimed in exclusive and stable property. If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation."

This isn't a contest, it's a community, so I see no reason to not share my "secrets" (such as they are with my relative inexperience). Now, if I were constantly bumping into local competitors, I might be a little more reserved, but that's fortunately not the case here (I'm from a small city).

Apr 18 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

dro photo

Miami, Florida, US

Yeah I have no problem letting people know how I did certain things or what equipment I use because honestly what's the point of withholding that info. I don't mind sharing techniques, but at the same time, its not like I become instant friends with every photographer I meet and share all my techniques upon them asking. Its a give or take, if I respect them and they respect my work, then why not switch ideas, techniques and etc. With-holding "secrets" is a straight bitch-move.

Also, it would actually keep forcing yourself to reinvent yourself and always keep it fresh and like someone said, everybody has a different eye, so its unlikely that someone else is going to catch that same image as you...

Apr 18 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

Share away!

Freely exchanging ideas, techniques and the whole process will make you better. I know I learn more from sharing. It helps me crystallize the processes. If I can explain something to someone else it makes it easier for me to do.

There is another reason to share and that is to pay back those that helped us get where we are. I guess, I just really have no 'secret' techniques. If I show someone something and they become famous maybe they will remember me and help me along.

Yeah it is one of those Karma things.

Bill

Apr 18 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

It is interesting to note that centuries ago, artists were very possessive of their secrets. For example: camera obscura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

Apr 18 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

rp_photo wrote:

I share technical info.  I've certainly learned a lot from other people, so I view sharing as a good thing.

Apr 18 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

jbassett

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

David (6of7) wrote:
If I am asked for details about a shoot I will offer the information.
Even if they know exactly what I did it doesn't matter since our talent is different and we would not take the same pictures.
On decriptions of images I try to not mention anything so as to not influence one's initial feelings.

- I agree with what you say.

Apr 18 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Visual E

Wellington, Colorado, US

Shhhhh!  [In a whisper] Everything on these forums is a secret.

Apr 18 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Only those who are insecure about their craft would withhold technical information.

Photography is more than technical information (yes, including the location), it's in the eyes and in the mind.  Even with identical technical "spec", a shoot would turn out differently by different people.

Secret?  Technical secret in Photography?  Any semi-competent engineering undergrad can reverse engineer most of the images (if it's done without Photoshop).  The worst kind is from those people who said "I paid $XYZ to go to photo school, why should I share it with you".  Well, many people paid multiple times that $XYZ to go to get their PhDs, should they not teach?  That's just bs.  Why should I share that sensor with you!

Be nice.  Share.

The more you teach, the more you learn.

Apr 18 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

"Secrets?" If the mojo of someone's work is in their "secrets" then their work isn't worth looking at, IMHO. Seriously. I say share. I'd rather see better work. "Competition" be damned, frankly...

Apr 18 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Sharing is great, but you cant alway's get the horse to drink, and then he'll get beaten to death here. Also, I think too many here and sites like this one want info on a silver platter, without experimenting on thier own first. Then when given the information, don't get it....but now I'm back to the horse analogy. Then there are the ones too lazy to do a search, yet want people to repost the answers (sorry, peeve of mine). And what lll said, most of the answers to the questions can be figured out by studying and reverse engeering a shot.

Oh, most here are here to learn, so this isnt directed at you or anyone else personally.

Apr 18 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Sure, share. Besides it's just for stuff that's already been done, doesn't take away from what I plan to do next.

Apr 18 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Merle wrote:
Sharing is great, but you cant alway's get the horse to drink, and then he'll get beaten to death here...

I totally agree.  I think there should be a sticky at the top of this forum that asks people to use the search function first before asking a question, like the Site-Related Forum.

Shall we just go ahead and create one and ask the Mod to sticky it?

Apr 18 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

lll wrote:
Shall we just go ahead and create one and ask the Mod to sticky it?

Mods can't make things sticky.  With certain exceptions.  https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=42169

Apr 18 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'm amazed by the stark contrast between opinions expressed here and those in this thread: https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=40018

Apr 18 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm amazed by the stark contrast between opinions expressed here and those in this thread: https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=40018

Those who have little of value had better overcharge for what they have or they'd starve, metaphorically speaking. (Shaking head...)

Apr 18 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

first off, there are no secrets in photography.  there's no such thing.  anyone who says, "i don't want to give away my secrets" most likely doesn't know much.

with that said, i don't mind sharing -- to a point.  i would rather get you in the right direction for you to discover for yourself, rather than give you a step by step handout for you to "paint by numbers."  i would like you to LEARN your craft, just like i did, through your own trial and error, because experience really is the best teacher.

i don't think we're really helping people by saying, set the camera to this, put the light here, press the button.  or open file in PS, apply this filter with these settings, done.  the person doesn't know the why's, which is really the most important part of knowledge, is it not?

it also won't help you, if you dont' know the basics -- the foundations of any skill, whether it be photography or retouching, to forego the basics, and ask us for advanced techniques. 

i get a lot of emails saying, "i just started using photoshop and don't really know much.  how do you retouch the skin to look like that?"  when i tell them to get a book and learn the basics, some reply, "oh, you just don't want to give away your secrets."

NO -- i don't want to spend a week (or 6) teaching you photoshop basics, and another month getting you up to speed on the techniques i use -- for free.  i mean, cmon. 

but i am more than happy to help questions like, "i've tried this, this, and this, and i really can't get what i am looking for.  what do you suggest?"

Apr 18 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Mods can't make things sticky.  With certain exceptions.  https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=42169

I think that was pathetic, to be honest.

Apr 18 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
i don't think we're really helping people by saying, set the camera to this, put the light here, press the button.  or open file in PS, apply this filter with these settings, done.  the person doesn't know the why's, which is really the most important part of knowledge, is it not?

Agreed.  That's another reason why I am so against those "recipe" books (for lighting, PS and what not).  It doesn't help anyone improve their craft; it turns them into one-trick-pony (or limited multi-trick pony).  What's the difference between that and Walmart training their portrait studio button-pushers?

Apr 18 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

rp_photo wrote:
am often tempted to share technical information on shoots in gory detail (...) have learned to restrain myself for two reasons: Possibly giving away "secrets" or boring my audience to tears.

Richard, have enjoyed watching your work be born & start to develop ...

... but as for any perceived exchange of "secrets", no I disagree. Other photographers can have my tech info, throw in the locations too, even let 'em shoot with my equipment, all day long but they'll never have my vision.

Best always,
FML

Apr 18 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Storm Photography

Just a thought:

It is not your technical knowledge that makes your work shine, it is the creativity and heart you put into it.  Nobody can steal that, and by no means should it be a secret to any of us.  It is what we do.

Apr 18 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

SIMS/F11

Decatur, Georgia, US

why would we not share?

Apr 18 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Several years ago, I asked a guy how he got a particular effect for a photo.

He was kind of snotty about it and said I should figure it out for myself, but added that some of it was photoshop.

Back then I thought he was an ass.

Now I appreciate that he made me figure it out myself.

Although now, I do have questions, and wish people would just hand over the specs.

I'm getting too old to figure everything out for myself.

Mark

Apr 18 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

lll wrote:
Agreed.  That's another reason why I am so against those "recipe" books (for lighting, PS and what not).  It doesn't help anyone improve their craft; it turns them into one-trick-pony (or limited multi-trick pony).  What's the difference between that and Walmart training their portrait studio button-pushers?

Recipes are the kiss of death. Unfortunately, thats precisely what a lot of OP's on a lot of these threads are asking for. And they're naive enough (and contemptuous enough, in a sense) to think that making good work really is just as easy as doing A, B, and C in the right order, and if you just tell them what A B and C are they'll shoot just like you.

Just ask the people in Canon and Adobe's marketing departments.

Apr 18 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I used to race radio-control cars at a pretty high level. The guys I raced with and I all shared info freely with each other. We believed it was more fun to win (or even lose) a close race than to be in a blowout. We laughed at the sponsored "pros" who would hide their cars under towels so noone would see their "secrets". They spent so much time hiding them, that they never stepped out to see what others could (and would) share.

The same is true in photography. Those who keep secrets usually work harder than they need to compared to those who share info. I strongly agree with sharing concepts rather than "insert slot A into tab B" mentality. You can share more with less work if you help someone understand a concept.

Apr 18 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I say it is good because you will learn much more then you give. Besides the technical aspects are the easy part anyway it is the creative flow that will make you or break you and you either have that or you don't.

Apr 18 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

walter t

New York, New York, US

bad.  you went to school to get yourself educated and had to pay for that info.  let someone else pay for that info.

Apr 18 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

retlawjt wrote:
bad.  you went to school to get yourself educated and had to pay for that info.  let someone else pay for that info.

If all you think you learned in school is info, then your education is worthless.

Apr 18 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Brian Diaz wrote:

Jay-zuss!!!  I'm speechless (and that's saying a lot)...

Apr 18 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

lll wrote:

The sticky is a great idea...hopefully Brian can make that happen, get Tyler to set it up, or whatever it takes.

I'd like to elaborate more on what some have said from my perspective. I started with a lighting book, and for real basic's, cool, but my photo's didn't really start looking what I thought were good, until I practiced like hell. Since I hate tfp with new models, and have better use for my money than paying for models, I made a make- shift crash dummy to practice on. I have practiced for hours and hours, and until I figured what they meant by 'seeing the light', and it was frustrating at times. Learn...no..., see the difference by using 1 light, and noting the difference it makes turning the head/modifier a little this way, then a little that way...up and down too. If your creative enough to be a photographer, your creative enough to make a practice dummy. Dont wait for day's (or hours) before a shoot and start asking how to light seemless, or take onstage event photo's. Go practice now (or at least search the forum...it's all been hashed out already) ...it's fun. You'll make mistakes, and at 1st it'll look like crap, but what you learn from the experience will alway's far out weigh what you get for asking for cookie cutter recepies.

Just remember, you'll be all prepared for a shoot, and everything will turn to crap, either weather, other talent, client desires, whatever, will throw you a curve when least expected. You'll have to wing it, and have the confidence to say, 'no problem', and pull it off. You wont get that seceret from a book, or here. Better to learn the basics, and go practice.

Apr 18 06 08:57 pm Link