Forums > Photography Talk > Fears of ideas beign stolen.... not so!

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

I think that if you have a feel for what you do best the idea of people stealing your ideas air away fast. Its all about knowing that you shoot and how you shoot .....and any ideas where people seem to swarm over one image will be gone with a blink of an eye tommrow... how often do you pick up your camera and think of that one great shot from few days ago... if you do... drop the thought and start fresh... you can do it again... (click)... and again...(click)... etc

thoughts?

-Marek

Apr 16 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Apr 16 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

hrm, my general thought that is, you can tell someone "how" to do something in terms of shooting, and if they can duplicate your work just from telling them that, then more power to them for being a good enough photographer to pull it off. Someone not likely to duplicate your work just because you told them the technical detail of how to do it unless they're a good photographer themselves.

Apr 16 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

ideas are stolen all the time, whether its for scripts, sitcoms, photoshoots, commercials, advetisements, inventions, etc

now just because someone steals your idea, doesnt necessarily mean they can create your vision and do the idea justice, they may do a crappy job of interpreting your idea, or they may not have the same resources financially or otherwise to do the idea the way you intended

but the point, if someone did steal 'your idea' and then went out and did it, even poorly, and then you did it to the depth of perfection that you had originally envisioned, people would probably say you stole the other person's idea, and just did it better thats all

for example, so i read that many years ago, like in the 80s, someone bought the option to make a movie from the Marvel fantastic four comic book idea, eventually before the option ran out, they made a real low budgeted movie in europe, now someone else came along recently and remade the movie in hollywood, however it was also crap even with much more financing and allegedly better actors

only goes to show you, some original ideas are just crap to begin with LOL

Apr 16 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

I must confess.  I recently stole an idea.  It was brilliant.  I have been working hard on creating the set and will rock it.

When I unveil it, I will thank the guy I borrowed it from.

In general I try not to do that but it is a form of flattery.  Lets face it, ideas come from everywhere.  Yes there are some photogs that never had an original idea, but unless they are great graphic artists, their ports usually suck.

Apr 16 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

If someone wants to steal my idea more power to them. If they take a better shot than me on said shoot idea more power to them. After all, even though they took they idea and ran with it it's still their work and not mine. My idea yes but not my work smile

Apr 16 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Geary Enterprises

Rochester, New York, US

Look at it this way, Plagiarism is the best form of a compliment....

Hey if you can't come up with something new on your own, why not copy the guy next door.

I often don't update my portfolios with work any newer than 6 months, as I see many photographers and artists try to copy my style, concepts and ideas.......... If they do it better than me more power to them.............

Apr 16 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Geary Enterprises wrote:
Look at it this way, Plagiarism is the best form of a compliment....

Hey if you can't come up with something new on your own, why not copy the guy next door.

I often don't update my portfolios with work any newer than 6 months. I see many photographers and artists try to copy my style, concepts and ideas.......... If they do it better than me more power to them.............

Difference between plagiarizing someone's written work, and copying a technique is that the later actually requires effort to do the actual work.

Apr 16 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Benjamin Franklin, the noted inventor, author and publisher, and guiding intellect behind the United States of America's first intellectual property laws, wrote in his autobiography:

That, as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously. (http://www.earlyamerica.com/lives/franklin/chapt10/.)

Apr 17 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I borrowed my current avatar from a concept I found in a magazine... but I attributed it on my port, I just liked the original enough that I wanted to try to accomplish something similar.

Apr 17 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
I borrowed my current avatar from a concept I found in a magazine...

I wouldn't be surprised if the magazine photographer 'borrowed' the idea from someone else. So little of what we photograph, listen to on the radio or read is really 'new'. Almost everything is derivative. It's all a matter of degree.

Apr 17 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

JMedkeff

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Some people sue when their ideas are "stolen" for use as a parody in a major motion picture, but are later "inspired" by a photograph taken by others and don't acknowledge the creative debt until someone goes to the trouble of noticing the resemblance to the original and asking about it.

Story about Annie Leibovitz' Vanity Fair cover:

http://www.wwd.com/issue/article/105673?page=0

Apr 17 06 03:18 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

An entire website devoted to advertising copycats:

http://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe2/

Such as:

https://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe2/assets/ceinturediet1998.jpg

https://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe2/assets/ceinturediet2005_2.jpg

https://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe2/assets/ceinturediet2005.jpg

https://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe2/assets/ceinturediet.jpg

Apr 17 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Marek Mezyk wrote:
I think that if you have a feel for what you do best the idea of people stealing your ideas air away fast. Its all about knowing that you shoot and how you shoot .....and any ideas where people seem to swarm over one image will be gone with a blink of an eye tommrow... how often do you pick up your camera and think of that one great shot from few days ago... if you do... drop the thought and start fresh... you can do it again... (click)... and again...(click)... etc

thoughts?

-Marek

Interesting premise… never really thought much about it but seems like a lot of photographers are paranoid in regards to it. I would think the most paranoid aren’t even on the internet simply due to the fact that to them, it’s a den of thieves, just waiting to rip them off.

But now that you’ve introduced the idea of stealing ‘ideas’… you have now created ‘levels’ of conceptual thievery. So is a person who steals an idea, as opposed to actually just stealing the image and passing it off as his own, more or less of a thief. Or… is the person who steals the image just too lazy to go shoot it himself. And if you ‘steal’ an idea from a photographer who stole the image… what does that then make you???

NOW taking all that into consideration… I have an idea for a shoot involving all these premises but if you think I’m telling you guys… forgetaboutit!

I have to admit… I steal good thread ideas and put them up on other sites

Apr 17 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

For all amature photographers starting out, especially if going the college route, you are encouraged to study the works of others, to draw inspiration from them and to use exisiting concepts to hone your skills as a technically and artistically competent photographer.

There is very very little out there that hasn't bee done a dozen times before and when i'm walking down the street and a billboard hits me with a new and well executed idea I gotta stop and say damn.

When on a couple of occasions photographers have recreated something I've shot and told me the inspiration came from my work I simply say thank you very much.  In such a visual age how much can we claim as original.  We see thousands of images a day and I'm sure on a subliminal level they're all stored away at the back of the mind waiting for the right project.

If I see girl in lingerie, and theres enough of those in portfolios on this site and on bill boards every where for the likes of Victorias Secret etc, never once do I think WOW, what a great concept, how original,  I more likley think WOW what a hell of a job the photographers done on an idea that hasnt been original since time began.

Any way good luck to all and happy easter.

Apr 17 06 06:51 am Link