Forums > Events > Malibu Mansion Shoot!!! (5/10)

Photographer

T J Yun

Los Angeles, California, US

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
Part of the reason I shot so few images though, was because of the papparazzi style shoot out that was going on.  This kind of annoyed me later on, because I paid for a couple of releases, yet only shot about 20 photos with those models I paid for.  Being my first time at one of these, I assumed the guys that were hogging up...errr...shooting these models were also planning on paying them, so I didn't want to step on their toes.  I found out later on though, that some of these guys were taking up well over an hours worth of the model's time, then said they had no intention of paying for either the time spent, or a release.  I call bullshit.

Actually all the group shoot I've attended is like that. You can arrange something before hand with model that you want to shoot with her after or before the event. It is hard to get great artistic images from group shoots, but it's more network with new models and photographers that you usually don't shoot with. You are like me my first group shoot expectation was too high, but at least Micheal's group shoot is put together very well compare to other group shoot I've attended.

May 19 09 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mike D photography

Carlisle, Pennsylvania, US

JULIE LEIGH BOLENE wrote:
most photographers seemed completely unaware that we werent paid,

I for one didn't know there was no pay for models...I figured there was a base pay and then extra for commercial releases. 

Part of the reason I shot so few images though, was because of the papparazzi style shoot out that was going on.  This kind of annoyed me later on, because I paid for a couple of releases, yet only shot about 20 photos with those models I paid for.  Being my first time at one of these, I assumed the guys that were hogging up...errr...shooting these models were also planning on paying them, so I didn't want to step on their toes.  I found out later on though, that some of these guys were taking up well over an hours worth of the model's time, then said they had no intention of paying for either the time spent, or a release.  I call bullshit.

Also every group shoot i have been to has also been like that and they have to be unless your at least very close to 1:1 photographer model ratio...

May 19 09 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Key Productions

Oceanside, California, US

Bump again... smile

https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/keyturn/Malibu-354-1-1.jpg

May 19 09 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Key Productions

Oceanside, California, US

V Studio wrote:

man, this pic is awesome......what did you do to get this effect if you dont mind me asking?

I had have couple drinks of scotch and I was just messing around with CS4. To be very honest I don't even know which tools I used, that was just a trial and error game... lol

May 19 09 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

V Studio

La Mirada, California, US

your pic rocks!!!!

another contribution smile
https://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/penskeaudi/seajshower.jpg

May 19 09 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

V Studio

https://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/penskeaudi/cassandrasheer.jpg
she looked soo stunning here

May 19 09 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Looking at these great shots I'm bummed I had to miss out but after reading this debate I'm actually glad I didn't go sorry to say, what a mess.
Bottom line guys is that if you shoot a good amount or not alot but like what you shot, pay the 20 bucks and send the model images you edit for good measure and if in the un foreseen future you do use the shots (which has happened) contact the model and discuss it. besides most legit publications will require official standard releases from both model and photographer, so you don't wanna burn any bridges here.... Professionalism, fairness and common courtesy goes a long ways  wink
As far as the paparazzi ambush of a sets, yeah, recognize what's going on before you jump in on someones posed shoot. This is common occurance... no wonder the girls sometimes feel cheated at these events.

Just my two cents and personal experience  smile

May 19 09 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

Art Silva Photography wrote:
As far as the paparazzi ambush of a sets, yeah, recognize what's going on before you jump in on someones posed shoot. This is common occurance...

Yeah, last event i was at the model wanted to shoot with me 1 on 1 so we moved to a remote location. I started to set up my strobe and getting some tests shots in. As i was adjusting my camera settings, some asian guy came up and set up his strobe in FRONT of my light. Then he stood BETWEEN me and my model. He started to take some shots and i was dumbfounded by his actions. WTF?!!

Well after 4 or 5 shots he paused a second to look at his LCD screen. The model looked at me for a few seconds and we both started to laugh. The guy had the nerve to ask the model what was so funny. I'm sure some of you guys may know whom i am talking about. He does that to everybody, lol.

May 20 09 12:20 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Karl Yamashita wrote:

Yeah, last event i was at the model wanted to shoot with me 1 on 1 so we moved to a remote location. I started to set up my strobe and getting some tests shots in. As i was adjusting my camera settings, some asian guy came up and set up his strobe in FRONT of my light. Then he stood BETWEEN me and my model. He started to take some shots and i was dumbfounded by his actions. WTF?!!

Well after 4 or 5 shots he paused a second to look at his LCD screen. The model looked at me for a few seconds and we both started to laugh. The guy had the nerve to ask the model what was so funny. I'm sure some of you guys may know whom i am talking about. He does that to everybody, lol.

https://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bF8duhNKdYoAqDejzbkF/SIG=134firjfk/EXP=1242893213/**http%3A//images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1019862/photo_08_hires.jpg
KES-LERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

May 20 09 01:07 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

https://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bF8duhNKdYoAqDejzbkF/SIG=134firjfk/EXP=1242893213/**http%3A//images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1019862/photo_08_hires.jpg

No, it wasn't me.  I would have laughed also if it was lol

May 20 09 02:06 am Link

Photographer

V Studio

nahhhh Kesler's lenses are long enough he can stand a mile away smile

May 20 09 07:59 am Link

Photographer

T J Yun

Karl Yamashita wrote:

Are you talking about me! lol

May 20 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

No it wasn't Kesler. He has his own story.

May 20 09 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

Star Studio wrote:

Are you talking about me! lol

No i'm not talking about you. I've never seen you at a group shoot have i?

May 20 09 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Son Tran

Gardena, California, US

Karl Yamashita wrote:

Was it me ?????

May 20 09 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

T J Yun

Karl Yamashita wrote:

No i'm not talking about you. I've never seen you at a group shoot have i?

Weren't you at Micheal's Laguna hill or this shoot? I don't know all Asian guys look alike!

May 20 09 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Son Tran

Gardena, California, US

Star Studio wrote:

Weren't you at Micheal's Laguna hill or this shoot? I don't know all Asian guys look alike!

HAHAHAA! We all same same

May 20 09 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

V Studio

Karl Yamashita wrote:

Karl, was it me?  I know we all look alike?

May 20 09 10:37 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

V Studio wrote:

Karl, was it me?  I know we all look alike?

Maybe it was ME!!!!? big_smile

May 20 09 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

Im gonna take a wild guess and say................HHMMMMMMM
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
DREW!!!

May 21 09 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

Dae Daniels wrote:
Maybe it was ME!!!!? big_smile

If it was you i would have been shooting you instead of the other model. smile

May 21 09 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

Star Studio wrote:

Yeah, probably. God forbid if there is another Karl/Carl at a shoot. I had a couple of models message me and say thanks for a great shoot. I told them they mistaken me for another guy and i never attended. I think they were too embarrassed and never replied back, lol.

May 21 09 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

SNAPSHOT LA wrote:
Im gonna take a wild guess and say................HHMMMMMMM
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
DREW!!!

Hell, Drew ends up shooting my model instead of his. He takes my strobe and all. lol

May 21 09 12:49 am Link

Photographer

V Studio

Karl Yamashita wrote:

Hell, Drew ends up shooting my model instead of his. He takes my strobe and all. lol

hillllarious

May 21 09 01:20 am Link

Model

Metalexca

San Marcos, California, US

that was a waste taking cassandra to that shoot that bitch is beat compared to the rest should have had other girls there instead... fuckin droopy horse face bitch lol

May 21 09 02:01 am Link

Model

Metalexca

San Marcos, California, US

shit she has buck ass teeth and no top lip and a beer belly to go with it lol

May 21 09 02:02 am Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

Karl Yamashita wrote:
If it was you i would have been shooting you instead of the other model. smile

What are you trying to say about your model?
You should start a forum about this very topic.
Ummmm nevermind I think you have before.
lol

May 21 09 02:26 am Link

Model

Miss Amy Ripp

San Diego, California, US

Metalexca wrote:
that was a waste taking cassandra to that shoot that bitch is beat compared to the rest should have had other girls there instead... fuckin droopy horse face bitch lol

Metalexca wrote:

woah! I've been following the thread just to see the pretty pictures. And here's this straight outta left field! umm .... hmm

May 21 09 05:28 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Metalexca wrote:

Wow!...thanks for that observation Blue Steel.  But you might want to read the rules about posting in forums first...especially the part about unsolicited critiques.  I know, I know...there aren't alot of pictures to go with the text, but if you set aside half your day, or maybe give yourself a weekend, you might be able to get to the bottom of the page and understand what you're reading.

After that, you might want to look up the word "Douchebag" in the dictionary.  If you have trouble looking it up, then just flip through the book until you find your picture.

May 21 09 08:41 am Link

Photographer

V Studio

wtf??

May 21 09 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

SNAPSHOT LA wrote:

What are you trying to say about your model?
You should start a forum about this very topic.
Ummmm nevermind I think you have before.
lol

It was a joke. I would shoot them both. smile

May 21 09 09:54 am Link

Model

Iris has pale lips

San Diego, California, US

Metalexca wrote:

I hope this is the fastest brig ever smile

May 21 09 10:42 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Karl Yamashita wrote:

No it wasn't Kesler. He has his own story.

Indeed I do have stories...

2 years ago I was attended my first group shoot in Vista and brought my own model.  This one Asian dood kept trying to steal my model away and was kinda pushy.  She kept saying no and so did I. 

For the remainder of the shoot he kept shooting over my head with his Nikon telephoto lens.  Very annoying. 

I later became good friends with this douchebag though so its all good wink

May 21 09 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Metalexca wrote:

Well, that's a hell of a first impression now, isn't it?

May 21 09 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

K E S L E R wrote:

Indeed I do have stories...

2 years ago I was attended my first group shoot in Vista and brought my own model.  This one Asian dood kept trying to steal my model away and was kinda pushy.  She kept saying no and so did I. 

For the remainder of the shoot he kept shooting over my head with his Nikon telephoto lens.  Very annoying. 

I later became good friends with this douchebag though so its all good wink

AAAAAAAAAAAAwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww karl and K E S E L E R haven't been separated since. lol
Now you guys have some adopted sons. lol

May 21 09 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Metalexca wrote:

Metalexca wrote:

Very uncalled for. Whether or not you like her, that's your business, but to be publicly insulting, well, this just seems so 3rd grad'ish...

Grow up...

Paul

May 21 09 03:52 pm Link

Model

Kayla-Jane Danger

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Photomezzo wrote:
I agree with Gary, but then I post unauthorized images:

https://www.pbase.com/photomezzo/image/112511675.jpg

it would be nice if you sent these to me before you posted ....

especially if you are advertising the fact it is unauthorized - its only polite ...

May 21 09 04:01 pm Link

Model

Kayla-Jane Danger

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Im sorry ... I am now pretty upset about this whole shoot ... i refuse to go back and read all the bs written about pay ... this shoot was not worked out well in any way i am still owed a gift bag that i havent received ... and people are using images they didnt pay for ....

THIS IS BS!
if you would like releases for the images you are posting please email me at [email protected] or book a shoot with me through here... otherwise I will go through and call you out individually ...

you cannot use a models image without her permission...

May 21 09 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

Kayla Jane Danger wrote:
Im sorry ... I am now pretty upset about this whole shoot ... i refuse to go back and read all the bs written about pay ... this shoot was not worked out well in any way i am still owed a gift bag that i havent received ... and people are using images they didnt pay for ....

THIS IS BS!
if you would like releases for the images you are posting please email me at [email protected] or book a shoot with me through here... otherwise I will go through and call you out individually ...

you cannot use a models image without her permission...

As far as your bag, I need your mailing address...I wouldv'e gotten it from you that day, but...you left early.

May 21 09 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

P Ranta Photography

Wow...I haven't checked this thread in a while.  I honestly didn't know that the models weren't being paid.  My company sent me just for future casting purposes.  If I would have known that the models were only being paid through selling releases, I would have picked a different group shoot (though the models were wonderful and I don't regret going!)

If any models want to be "re-paid" for their time by getting some of the images I shot (feel free to use them any way you want... sell them... I don't care) then send me a message titled "Malibu Group Shoot".  For those of you I'm casting on paid shoots in the future that I found at this shoot, I'll give you some images from the group shoot when we shoot together next!

And don't worry, I'm not using any unauthorized images.

Hope this helps make up for not purchasing releases!

-Phil

May 21 09 04:16 pm Link