Forums > Events > Malibu Mansion Shoot!!! (5/10)

Photographer

V Studio

La Mirada, California, US

nope, still editing and going through 1400 plus shots......currently on the plane using wifi
https://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/penskeaudi/chris-1.jpg

May 16 09 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

Los Angeles, California, US

I think I should finally get on a plane and go somewhere.
lol

May 16 09 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

V Studio

fly Virgin.........you'll always love being with Virgin after that

May 16 09 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

SNAPSHOT LA wrote:
So...........Is everyone partying tonight??

I sure am!... I'm at GlamourCon and I got drunk modelbabes in the room... lol

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/3537562863_fecf4b33fb_o.jpg

May 17 09 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

MistressChris wrote:
Of course all of us models would have loved to get releases for our time and work but it is what it is..........now I just want to see some more awesome pictures at least!!!!!

In reality, you girls would have liked to get paid (for said releases). Releases are for photographers. Unfortunately, someone gave all the girls a very wrong idea about model releases. In reality, we photographers have all the rights to post them in here or in our portfolios, w/ or w/o a release...

A release is for "commercial" usage. I doubt seriously that anyone from the shoot will be using any of the images commercially. So releases aren't/weren't necessary. The thing is, that it became an emotionally charged issue @ the shoot & some models said that "you can't post them if you didn't buy" a release. ..

Now, even though we have every right to (post), most here would rather just not have any drama over it. Shoots like this are pretty much TF/images. The photographers all paid $100 to make it happen. We worked all day trying to get the best images of models who are also trying to give us the best poses, looks, etc. But then as Snapshot said, we then have to go home & work some more on the images...

I'd imagine that many people have the thought, well, "if I can't use them, neither can the model" (& some will simply delete them if that's the case - what good are images you can't use), which sucks, because the images were shot to be seen, but the misconception about releases now inhibits/prohibits that fair exchange of images for all to use...

I know Chris that you never mentioned anything about this stuff. If I would have shot w/ you more than 6-7 images in the window, I'd post more of you... (if you PM me your email, I'll send you the files)

I shot about 260 shots. All are 99% similar quality to what I posted already. But if the models don't want them posted, they won't be...

Paul

May 17 09 01:31 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Hold onto ya' butts...it's gonna' get rocky in here.

May 17 09 03:26 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

Paul Brecht wrote:
A release is for "commercial" usage. I doubt seriously that anyone from the shoot will be using any of the images commercially. So releases aren't/weren't necessary. The thing is, that it became an emotionally charged issue @ the shoot & some models said that "you can't post them if you didn't buy" a release. ..

i'm not picking on you by using this quote...

I don't know the laws in California, and it doesn't sound like anyone else here does either. lol  but I know the laws in my state, NY.

Commercial use does not necessarily mean outright selling of images. If you post photos publicly then you are advertising your work... which IS commercial use. In NY state there is a specific exception for putting photos up in your studio... or in a portfolio in your studio. I would never put photos on MM or any other site that I didn't have a release for.

i'll bet if you posted photos of a model you didnt have a release for that never did nudes in your MM portfolio, and there were other nudes in your portfolio, she could get some money out of you... if she wanted to bad enough.

In New York it is also a misdemeanor to use a person's image/likeness without permission. Photographers own the rights to their photos, but models own the right to their likeness, as a right to privacy.

And from running events myself I know that personal use is a bit different from outright selling of images. But there ARE personal use releases, different from full releases. I use them at my events. If there weren't an issue, there wouldn't be a need for personal use releases. That all being said, I'm pretty sure models aren't going to go looking for a lawyer over something so minor. And I suppose any damages sued for would be minimal.

but if you want to know the real deal y'awl aughta look it up.

"As any celebrity or personality knows, the right of publicity in California is the right of anyone to control the commercial use of their identity. It is your personal right. Others may attempt to misappropriate it for commercial gain and if they do, you can seek damages. .......
All that needs to be proven are the use of your identity, that is, the use of your name or likeness, the defendant’s advantage in using it, your lack of consent and injury.
If someone tries to make use of your image or likeness for their gain without your consent, speak with a publicity and privacy rights lawyer immediately."

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=5609

i find this kinda amusing:

"California is the best state in which to bring a right of publicity
claim because the state has enacted broad statutes that protect
its celebrities. California Civil Code § 3344 covers the unauthor-
ized use of a person’s name, voice, signature, photograph, 
or likeness for purposes of advertising, selling, or soliciting."

http://www.artsandbusinessphila.org/pvl … licity.pdf

"California has possibly America's most admired publicity laws. Dating from 1971, Civil Code 3344 makes publicity a property right and prohibits:"
    "Use of Another's Name, Voice, Signature, Photograph, or Likeness in Advertising or Soliciting Without Prior Consent."

"Any person who knowingly uses another's ... photograph [such that the person is readily identifiable] ... in any manner on or in products, merchandise, or goods, or for purposes of advertising or selling, or soliciting purchases of products, merchandise, goods or services, without such person's prior consent ... shall be liable for any damages sustained by the person or persons injured as a result thereof."
    -- California Civil Code 3344 (a).

http://www.photosecrets.com/law.publicity.html

Edit: PS: I have no idea what case law there might be out there regarding events like these. nor am i going to look. lol  unless i move out there.

May 17 09 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

webglamour wrote:
I don't know the laws in California, and it doesn't sound like anyone else here does either. lol  but I know the laws in my state, NY.

Edit: PS: I have no idea what case law there might be out there regarding events like these. nor am i going to look. lol  unless i move out there.

There's just a little irony in your post...

I read through everything you posted & it backs up what I said. Who on MM is marketing a professional site ? MM a professional site ?  Posting in this thread = commercial ? Lol...

You're prolly causing more harm than good here...

Paul

May 17 09 03:54 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

Paul Brecht wrote:

webglamour wrote:
I read through everything you posted & it backs up what I said. Who on MM is marketing a professional site. MM a professional site ?  Lol...

You're prolly causing more harm than good here...
Paul

maybe you read it, but you sure didnt understand it. i didnt say anything about marketing a site, professional or otherwise. did i even say 'professional site' in my post? wtf?

any place you put your work, you are advertising yourself.

May 17 09 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Advertising a hobby is commercial ?

Paul

May 17 09 04:00 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

Paul Brecht wrote:
Advertising a hobby is commercial ?

Paul

why are you posting the photos at all? why do you have a portfolio here? maybe to show people how good you are.. or whatever. you are advertising yourself. maybe not expecting to make money off the stuff.

if you are looking for models... it could be said you are 'advertising' for them i suppose. if you know of case law to back up what you say, please feel free to fill us in. smile

could you prove that you never intend to make money off of your photos?

are you saying that because i'm a professional you have more rights than i do? smile

now i'm just pointing out the legality of all this. i'm not saying anyone is actually going to sue over something so trivial.

but you pretty much said photographers can do what they want with their images. that's just not true. unless you know a lawyer that will work for you for free. lol

now i've told photographers at my events that didn't get a personal use release from a particular model not to worry qbout it... and the same holds true here. ain't no thang. unless...

May 17 09 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

webglamour wrote:

but you pretty much said photographers can do what they want with their images. that's just not true. unless you know a lawyer that will work for you for free. lol

I'm not going to argue w/ you, except you are grossly misquoting me...

I did not say do anything as you say, but simply stated fair use, such as posting in this forum...

Paul

May 17 09 04:20 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

Paul Brecht wrote:
I'm not going to argue w/ you, except you are grossly misquoting me...
I did not say do anything as you say, but simply stated fair use, such as posting in this forum...
Paul

sorry... thats what i was referring to. but i don't really think that's fair use... legally.

May 17 09 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

webglamour wrote:

sorry... thats what i was referring to. but i don't really think that's fair use... legally.

& that goes to my original point - nobody will post or share any images w/ the models...

Paul

May 17 09 04:37 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

Paul Brecht wrote:
& that goes to my original point - nobody will post or share any images w/ the models...

Paul

well that point was valid as far as posting goes. but the legalities have nothing to do with 'sharing'.

btw, the actual law is here:
http://library.findlaw.com/1998/Feb/1/130405.html

it looks like there is a $750 minimum for unauthorized use. haha

from Eastwood v. Superior Court, 149 Cal.App. 409, 198 Cal.Rptr. 342 (Ct.App. 1983).

"Without explicit reliance on the Ninth Circuit's decision in Midler v. Ford Motor Company, the court implicitly adopted it by broadly articulating the elements of California's common law right of publicity as follows: "

"A common law cause of action for appropriation of name or likeness may be pleaded by alleging (1) the defendant's use of the plaintiff's identity; (2) the appropriation of plaintiff's name or likeness to defendant's advantage, commercially or otherwise; (3) the lack of consent; and (4) resulting injury." Id. at. 347.

see above link

May 17 09 04:50 am Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

webglamour wrote:

Paul Brecht wrote:

Paul

webglamour wrote:
well that point was valid as far as posting goes. but the legalities have nothing to do with 'sharing'.

I think, that this is the whole point to this thread, most photographers will not post images or send images to models for them to use without being able to use them themselves and im sure that everyone is trying to avoid the drama.

Its kind of sad because this was an awesome location with some talented photographers and awesome models but as mistress chris said "It is what it is"

Have a happy sunday everyone!

May 17 09 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Team Strider

Fullerton, California, US

Select Models wrote:

Damn Gary, i drunk way too much last night. haha

So, how much do you hate your ex? lol

May 17 09 10:34 am Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
Hold onto ya' butts...it's gonna' get rocky in here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKaL9AfKrUM

May 17 09 10:40 am Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

Select Models wrote:

Drunk Models+Gary= NO COMMENT! lol

May 17 09 10:42 am Link

Photographer

RC Photo

Santa Barbara, California, US

SNAPSHOT LA wrote:

I was wondering the same thing!  lol

May 17 09 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Mike D photography

Carlisle, Pennsylvania, US

webglamour wrote:

why are you posting the photos at all? why do you have a portfolio here? maybe to show people how good you are.. or whatever. you are advertising yourself. maybe not expecting to make money off the stuff.

if you are looking for models... it could be said you are 'advertising' for them i suppose. if you know of case law to back up what you say, please feel free to fill us in. smile

could you prove that you never intend to make money off of your photos?

are you saying that because i'm a professional you have more rights than i do? smile

now i'm just pointing out the legality of all this. i'm not saying anyone is actually going to sue over something so trivial.

now i've told photographers at my events that didn't get a personal use release from a particular model not to worry qbout it... and the same holds true here. ain't no thang. unless...

Everything you pointed to is for advertising.  If you are not selling your services or have a business and there are no customers then your not advertising...your just demonstrating your art.  If you then try to sell that art is where you have a problem with out a release.       

The reason there are non commercial releases are because of people like you who are professionals that will be marketing their own business/services with those images and to cover themselves as a business.

You also don't need to prove you will never make money off of them, more so they would have to prove you did make money off of them in court. 

The right to privacy statements are a little off too.  It would be interesting to see a case though where a model argued that her standing on the stairway in a bikini in front of 12 photographers for 20 minutes never meant for a photo to be taken and that her rights to privacy was violated.  These models are famous people with beautiful photos on websites and hopefully magazine ads etc, they have a limit on their privacy in public unless your using their likeness to sell a commercial product/service.

That all said, i will buy a release if i shoot a lot with a model i like because i appreciate them.

https://amadplace.com/transfer/10.jpg

https://amadplace.com/transfer/11.jpg

https://amadplace.com/transfer/12.jpg

May 17 09 11:51 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

I love your images of Chris.

Mike D photography wrote:
Everything you pointed to is for advertising.  If you are not selling your services or have a business and there are no customers then your not advertising...your just demonstrating your art.

Legally i don't think there is a difference... and I posted a court case to back it up.

I am NOT selling my services in my portfolio here. You guys are saying you should be treated differently than me. That's actually laughable from a legal standpoint. My portfolio is here for the same reason as most everybody else.

You also don't need to prove you will never make money off of them, more so they would have to prove you did make money off of them in court.

The keyword is that you are using their likeness for an 'advantage', not necessairly money.

You guys all seem to think money has to be involved for there to be a violation of privacy. That doesn't appear to be true.

The right to privacy statements are a little off too.  It would be interesting to see a case though where a model argued that her standing on the stairway in a bikini in front of 12 photographers for 20 minutes never meant for a photo to be taken and that her rights to privacy was violated.  These models are famous people with beautiful photos on websites and hopefully magazine ads etc, they have a limit on their privacy in public unless your using their likeness to sell a commercial product/service.

I would think that if the models were told that releases were to be bought, or could be bought, they would have an expectation that images without a release would not be used.

mythbuster... Since you brought it up, there IS a well known court case years ago with images from some of these SoCal shoots being sold to CompuServe... without releases. Don't try and tell me CompuServe coughed up big bucks knowing they could have used the 'clustershoot' excuse as a defense. And you know they had big time lawyers.

Just so you know... I got releases from 3 models at this shoot... and i have no intention of ever selling any of their photos. I might want to put them in my portfolio here, though. That's how I roll.

This would be more fun to discuss in person. :-)

May 17 09 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mike D photography

Carlisle, Pennsylvania, US

webglamour wrote:
mythbuster... Since you brought it up, there IS a well known court case years ago with images from some of these SoCal shoots being sold to CompuServe... without releases. Don't try and tell me CompuServe coughed up big bucks knowing they could have used the 'clustershoot' excuse as a defense. And you know they had big time lawyers.

But that course case seems to have to do with photos being sold to a commercial company?  They are using it for commercial purposes.

The law is ambiguous enough so whoever with the biggest lawyer wins.

In the law the plaintiff needs to prove advantage, we talk about monetary circumstances because its the most straightforward indication, perceived advantage on one party is not actual advantage.   

Also if we are talking about this anymore on the thread it should be mandatory to post a picture with the post, since its off topic. 

webglamour wrote:
This would be more fun to discuss in person. :-)

It would...debating is always fun and the law really opens itself up to it.

https://amadplace.com/transfer/13.jpg

May 17 09 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

webglamour

Also if we are talking about this anymore on the thread it should be mandatory to post a picture with the post, since its off topic.

it would appear we have some common interests. big_smile  what a pisser...

https://www.hallphoto.com/post/Chris6329.jpg

May 17 09 02:39 pm Link

Model

Laura A Shodire

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

SNAPSHOT LA wrote:

glad you had fun!!!

May 17 09 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

Ok...it took me awhile to go through the arguments and see what the final outcome was.

As far a matter of privacy...I actually had a legal situation last year where a models BF was irate because I posted some implied taken on the beach. The case was resolved when the descision was made that since the photographs were taken on a public beach with civilians in site, that model lost all rights to presumed privacy.

Question...if the models are in the dressing room and poses with another model (being cute, blowing kisses, being sexy) while they are getting ready, takes a few pictures with her, does she need a model release from the other model if she puts it her MM profile. Hmmmmmmm?

I really think it's a matter of what side of the fench you stand on...both models and photographers have valid points. None of us are lawyers and almost anyone can find a legal quote online to back up their point of view.

To clear up a few points on the shoot:

The models were given the option to sell thier releases, it doesn't mean the photographer has to buy. It's the models job to make her image commercially viable, some models aren't at that level yet. Hopefully some used this as a networkiing day and cemented a few relationships that grow into paid shoots.

It's the photographers right to see if there are value to the images he took, whether commercially or even to himself. How do you judge that value, when you haven't even seen your images yet? I have had a few shooters write me after the shoot asking for MM#s of some models, so they can contact them and purchase a release.

Also, even though the models could sell thier releases, they were also given the option to set up private, reasonably priced mini nude shoots. If they didn't capitalize on that, I'm sorry. Some choose to walk around nude all day, letting anyone click away.

May 17 09 03:18 pm Link

Model

Christie Gabriel

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yaaay! Mike D! We did good, didn't we smile

May 17 09 06:04 pm Link

Model

Christie Gabriel

Chicago, Illinois, US

webglamour wrote:
it would appear we have some common interests. big_smile  what a pisser...

https://www.hallphoto.com/post/Chris6329.jpg

LOL! pisser...hahahaha!

May 17 09 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

V Studio

Lots of great shots of Chris smile

May 17 09 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Key Productions

Oceanside, California, US

Paul Brecht wrote:

In reality, you girls would have liked to get paid (for said releases). Releases are for photographers. Unfortunately, someone gave all the girls a very wrong idea about model releases. In reality, we photographers have all the rights to post them in here or in our portfolios, w/ or w/o a release...

Now, even though we have every right to (post), most here would rather just not have any drama over it. Shoots like this are pretty much TF/images. The photographers all paid $100 to make it happen. We worked all day trying to get the best images of models who are also trying to give us the best poses, looks, etc. But then as Snapshot said, we then have to go home & work some more on the images...

I'd imagine that many people have the thought, well, "if I can't use them, neither can the model" (& some will simply delete them if that's the case - what good are images you can't use), which sucks, because the images were shot to be seen, but the misconception about releases now inhibits/prohibits that fair exchange of images for all to use...

I know Chris that you never mentioned anything about this stuff. If I would have shot w/ you more than 6-7 images in the window, I'd post more of you... (if you PM me your email, I'll send you the files)

I shot about 260 shots. All are 99% similar quality to what I posted already. But if the models don't want them posted, they won't be...

Paul

I agree with Paul...

May 18 09 01:28 pm Link

Model

Julie Jolene Bolene

i dont personally care if anyone posts my images.

what i cared about was that we went up there for work. and when asked if we wanted to do the shoot the idea was we would get paid by selling our releases.

most photographers seemed completely unaware that we werent paid, and that we wanted to get paid, or anything about that. watches dont pay my bills, i would never have driven to malibu for a whole day for anything other than cash.

michael i talked to you personally about it before we began shooting and you said not to worry that the photographers knew they had to pay us or they couldnt use the photos
you briefly mentioned to me that i could sell private sessions, but i shot private sessions all day with the understanding that i would get paid at the end of the day, so i didnt charge extra, and honestly no one wouldve paid for it anyway cause there was an understanding that they had already paid.

i personally normally charge $100 dollars an hour for nude, and get paid as much. whether anyone thinks i'm pretty enough to get paid that much is none of my business. but i dont get really excited about getting naked for a bunch of dudes, but i do get excited about keeping my cell phone on.

in seven hours of that shoot i made $100.

i was kinda sad afterward to put it lightly.

i dont want to be a bitch but the models got screwed. sea-j hustled her ass up there on mothers day when she has two kids at home and walked with 80$

i would love to see photos that i could use, i'm obvioulsy not going to tell people they cant use them cause really no one is going to mail me a check for $20 to use them.

i messaged you michael that you did a good job and that i wasnt mad, but to even say this is our fault is not right.

May 18 09 10:11 pm Link

Model

KO

Austin, Texas, US

Thank you Julie Leigh. Let me start by saying I am not a bitter person, nor am I difficult to work with. A few of the photographers there have worked with me in the past and can vouch for that.  That being said- every model there was there with the understanding that she would get paid. Alot are being nice on this thread, but most of us talked about it in the dressing areas. For the time, effort and energy, most of us made between $5-$20 an hour, if anything at all.  I am not in a position to schedule TFP's right now because like everyone else, I have rent and bills to pay and I don't take days off because I cannot afford it at the moment. I don't want to sound bitter, but I had one photographer that after giving him the majority of my time, emailed me and said he deleted every single one of his shots from that day because of the legality mess that is being drummed up. For the photographers to have no intention of paying any girls (one even said he didn't bring any cash at all), then they should have made it apparent up front, therefore everyone would have worked that day knowing what was in store and could have planned accordingly. It is not Mike's fault, we ALL read the same bulletin. Thank you, Mike, for your time and organizing the shoot. There are a handful of photographers that this message does not apply to, and I thank you for being professional and considerate. For those that have made my images available, THANK YOU! If you would like to schedule a shoot, please message me, and if my schedule and financial situation permits, then I may be able to consider TFP.
Have a good week.
KO

May 19 09 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Key Productions

Oceanside, California, US

Bump... smile

https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/keyturn/Malibu-609.jpg

May 19 09 01:17 am Link

Photographer

webglamour

I dont want to get blamed for killing this thread. lol  I had a great time.. and I appreciate the effort and all the work Michael put into making it happen. and the models were just awesome!

https://www.hallphoto.com/post/IMG_6316.jpg

May 19 09 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

OK...first thank you KO for being understanding. My only intention was to put on a good event and make sure everyone leaves happy.

My wife says that's my only fault, trying to please everyone. You can't do that...

I'm not throwing any one under the bus, but except for maybe 2 photographers and a couple models, everyone has participated, heard about or generally knew what to expect from group shoots.  Maybe some of the photographers didn't buy release because thier images weren't post worthy, much less commercially viable.

There were models at my Laguna shoot that made out like bandits with selling releases, I'm not sure but I think Jeska did really well. That's why I gave that option. I can't force photographers to buy releases and everyone has their own opinion about the need for release and or images.

But I also knew that there were people there with money, why they didn't want to part with it, I don't know.

The models were required to pose in bikini's, lingerie, sexy dresses, I knew some posed nude and that photographers like that, that's why I gave the option at the start of the shoot to a couple of models to go ahead and schedule mini shoots, so they can get paid.

Had I attended this shoot as a photographer, I would have brought enough money to purchase atleast 5 releases, knowing my tastes and demends would have been met.

May 19 09 08:32 am Link

Photographer

V Studio

Mike, your event was awesome and I did get to meet a ton of great people.  Thanks for everything that you did in putting this shoot together.  It was not an easy task and you are right, you cant please everyone.

Cheers

May 19 09 08:50 am Link

Model

Christie Gabriel

Chicago, Illinois, US

Key  Photography wrote:
Bump... smile

oh! oh! This is awesome!!!

May 19 09 08:57 am Link

Photographer

V Studio

Key  Photography wrote:
Bump... smile

man, this pic is awesome......what did you do to get this effect if you dont mind me asking?

May 19 09 10:26 am Link

Photographer

SNAPSHOT LA

Michael Barrett wrote:
I'm not throwing any one under the bus, but except for maybe 2 photographers and a couple models, everyone has participated, heard about or generally knew what to expect from group shoots.

Mike your group shoot was runned like most group shoots are and haved been runned for years.  At some shoots the model could be promised a simple lunch or just pics and at other shoots the model could just recieve gas money. I have been to a group shoot where some models got $20 while 1 or 2 models got $140(even more). The model getting $140 wasn't doing anything more than the girl that was getting $20. Group shoots have been and still are to a point a good way to network for both models and photographers.

Unfortunately for you mike, buying model releases has taken a life of its own at group shoots, and it has come to a head here on your thread.  I can see both models and photographers points of view. 

There is a thread right now where the promoters have included a model release in there price but the price is kind of high(not within my budget) and a lot of photographers haven't signed upped for it yet. For photographers who have pay sites or intend to make money off of it the price is a steal for the models who are gonna be attending.

From a models point of view there not gonna get paid what they feel they deserve or would make as oppose to 1 on 1 shoots and with photogs not signing up im sure there gonna make a whole lot less from what they where kind of expecting.

Mike, your wife is right, "You can't please everyone".

May 19 09 10:59 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

I was going to refrain from taking part in this debate, but at the risk of being ostracized from future events, I'm going to give my .02.

As with everyone else, I'm grateful to Michael for hosting this event.  It was a great location, which really is what sold me on the idea of joining this shoot (well, that and the list of models who were attending).  I knew up front though, that if I shot with some of the models who were attending, then there would be an expectation of getting paid for a signed release.  Because of that, I brought a good amount of cash just in case I got some really unique shots that I would like to see published some day.  When I asked around and learned that most of the models were only asking $20 for a release, I felt that was more than reasonable and well worth the effort they were putting into it. 

I also realized however that I wouldn't be shooting with every model there, because I wasn't prepared to pay out over $300 in releases on top of the sign up fee I had already paid.  Therefore, I was very selective with whom I shot with, and only shot with those who were dressed (or in Sea J's case undressed) in a style that fit the type of shots I was going for.  In total, I shot less than 300 images with only about 5 or 6 models.  Some I already had planned TFP shoots with, so we just took that opportunity to shoot there.  Others, I did pay their release fee.  For the last couple, we made an agreement there that I would provide them the photos in lieu of payment (in essence, TFCD). 

Part of the reason I shot so few images though, was because of the papparazzi style shoot out that was going on.  This kind of annoyed me later on, because I paid for a couple of releases, yet only shot about 20 photos with those models I paid for.  Being my first time at one of these, I assumed the guys that were hogging up...errr...shooting these models were also planning on paying them, so I didn't want to step on their toes.  I found out later on though, that some of these guys were taking up well over an hours worth of the model's time, then said they had no intention of paying for either the time spent, or a release.  I call bullshit. 

In my opinion, those photographers that are willing to pay for releases should get priority shooting time.  Let the other guys who aren't going to pay snap off a few shots, and then have them move on.  I would say that's both fair and reasonable, and also makes it worth everyone's while.  In essence, the models get paid accordingly for their time in either cash or quality photos; the photographers that pay get a good amount of time to create with their models in an outstanding location; and the non-payers still get tiny treasures for their spank bank as well as happy memories. 

I also feel that those photographers who were able/willing to pay should be allowed one-on-one time with the model.  I, quite frankly, found it irritating when I would set up a shot (some with props that I brought my self), and then a swarm of photographers would huddle in around me and take over the set.  Again, I didn't say anything for the sake of keeping the peace, but in all honesty it was disheartening.  I think there should be some form of etiquette and professionalism amongst the herd...but that's just me. 

I would hate to see models become reluctant to attend future events because of the way this shoot went.  I can see why they would want all-inclusive shoots at higher entrance fees though, because it guarantees the models will get paid something for their time.  At the same time however, I can see how higher entrance fees will keep a whole lot of photographers away and essentially leave the models empty handed in the end. 

I'd say regardless of what your take is on model releases, as a courtesy we as photographers should be willing to give a model a little something for her time.  $20 is not much, so consider it a tip if you have a hard time swallowing the idea of having to pay for a release.  On that same token, if you can't afford to pay a small fee for the model's time, then don't waste it by demanding shot after shot after shot after shot.  Snap a couple and move on.

May 19 09 12:14 pm Link