Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > ahhhh photoshop vs paintshop

Photographer

Photographik Memories

Fontana, California, US

ok so my compaq laptop was in a coma for a very long time and it decided to finally pass away (the services were nice dell came, mac made an appearance, HP sang a song the works) only problem was that was the only place I had my photoshop cs3 in there since it was installed for me by a friend [whom I no longer speak with]

i went looking for cs3 since it's the only thing i knew and they're like oh no we only have elements! WTF is elements?? will it still do the same editing as cs3??

i decided to look into paintshop since it was right next to it but the only thing is I dont know anything about corel and i'm worried that if i buy it, i wont be happy and there you go money horribly spent!

can someone help me out??

elements? is it good for someone who does really minor editing and some basic flyer work for backyard shows?

paintshop? will it do the same things as photoshop??

omg please help! in desperate need! I have a photoshoot sunday!!

Apr 30 09 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sergei Belski

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Why don't you buy Photoshop online.. takes minutes.
Don't buy Corel, I didn't use it for a while but as far as I know it was a totally different program and designed for a different purpose.

Sergei
www.sergeibelski.com

Apr 30 09 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Photographik Memories wrote:
ok so my compaq laptop was in a coma for a very long time and it decided to finally pass away (the services were nice dell came, mac made an appearance, HP sang a song the works) only problem was that was the only place I had my photoshop cs3 in there since it was installed for me by a friend [whom I no longer speak with]

i went looking for cs3 since it's the only thing i knew and they're like oh no we only have elements! WTF is elements?? will it still do the same editing as cs3??

i decided to look into paintshop since it was right next to it but the only thing is I dont know anything about corel and i'm worried that if i buy it, i wont be happy and there you go money horribly spent!

can someone help me out??

elements? is it good for someone who does really minor editing and some basic flyer work for backyard shows?

paintshop? will it do the same things as photoshop??

omg please help! in desperate need! I have a photoshoot sunday!!

Photoshop Elements has about 80% of the functions of Photoshop.
It is more affordable.
I have Photoshop Elements 7.

Apr 30 09 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Photographik Memories

Fontana, California, US

well the thing is my husband wants to buy it for me since we might get a new desktop later so we rather just have the cd you know??
agh.... so stressful

Apr 30 09 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Photographik Memories

Fontana, California, US

so elements would pretty much work for me then, I really only use like 80% of photoshop as it is ahahaha

will i still be able to make my own images and want nots?

Apr 30 09 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For minor editing, I would recommend elements. You might be suprised at how much is in there compared to the full blown version. It's got it's limitations of course. You wont have access to the more powerful tools such as LAB or CMYK color spaces, nor will you have access to individual channels or curves (although I'm told there is a plugin you can buy for curves). But for the most part, most everything you're probably familier with already will be in elements where as if you go with painter, you'll have a bit of a learning curve.

Apr 30 09 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Photographik Memories

Fontana, California, US

ok cool! yeah I was gonna get it the other day but when I went to go ask around I got the finger up there noses telling me they're pointing to their brain face!

it wasn't helpful so i held back and now i'm in a ditch since the shoot is sunday and I'm gonna need to edit duh! lol

thanks it means a lot! !

Apr 30 09 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brett Sly Photography

Keller, Texas, US

I have both Paint Shop Pro as well as the complete Adobe CS4 suite.  The Photoshop is vastly superior for professionals who greatly want to manipulate images, but it has a huge learning curve to go with it.  Corel is great for simple touchups, toning, contrast, and color adjustments with much less learning. I actually use Corel 95% of the time. But for those who shoot RAW only, PS is the way to go.

Apr 30 09 02:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

E Clark 2

Hamilton, Ohio, US

Everything in my port was done with PSP7. I have PS elements but don't use it as much since it slows this old machine down. Other than that I have no problem with either of them.

Apr 30 09 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

so elements would pretty much work for me then, I really only use like 80% of photoshop as it is ahahaha

will i still be able to make my own images and want nots?

Honestly I don't know ANYONE who actually uses 80% of Photoshop. So much in there. I'm really good and I claim like 25%. Elements miss some key things for the way i work but I have a couple of students who seem to get by just fine with it. And at under $100 vs over $600 for CS4 (Unless you are a full time student or teacher) you have to do the math and make your own decision.

Apr 30 09 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

MWNudes

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I love my PSP v9. I use it for all of my layering work, borders, adding watermarks.

For color change and mass workflow editing, I use Adobe Lightroom (massively awesome product... I

Apr 30 09 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Worton

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Have used Corel PhotoPaint (Paintshop's predecessor) for ten years and never have seen the need to change. It's a subset of Corel Draw!. I do have Cs3 but almost never use it, I don't need most of the features -

Apr 30 09 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Photographik Memories

Fontana, California, US

agh...i'm torn! i kinda want to try corel psp but elements looks pretty ok as well...i might just try something new...

Apr 30 09 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Rock Angel Photography

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Cherrybomb Photography wrote:
I have both Paint Shop Pro as well as the complete Adobe CS4 suite.  The Photoshop is vastly superior for professionals who greatly want to manipulate images, but it has a huge learning curve to go with it.  Corel is great for simple touchups, toning, contrast, and color adjustments with much less learning. I actually use Corel 95% of the time. But for those who shoot RAW only, PS is the way to go.

I also use both, I use Adobe CS4 for mostly everything, the only thing that i use corel for is to clean up teeth and eyes, and i like the shapening tool MUCH better for the eyes.

Apr 30 09 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

RichSeattlePhoto

Seattle, Washington, US

I have both PSP and CS4.   My biggest complaint against CS4, on my machine I can load PSP, do the quick edit I need and have the file saved and sent before
CS4 ever loads.  And no, my machine isn't old or slow.

PSP =  quick and simple
CS4  = powerful and bulky

Apr 30 09 04:26 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

At the top of the forum there's a thread entitled Photography Talk: Rules, Resources and FAQ. In that thread, there are links to key MM threads. One of those is lll's Photo Software List - Resources, which lists a dozen or so alternatives, ranging from GIMP (powerful and free), through Photoshop Elements (stripped down Photoshop for $100), and many others.

For most photographers, Photoshop Elements is an excellent starting choice. The GIMP is more powerful, less expensive, but isn't as easily learned.

Another option, if you don't need pixel-level retouching, is Adobe's Lightroom ($200). It's designed for photographers, includes a basic DAM (Digital Asset Manager), and permits a lot of control over general tonality, color, and cropping.

Even easier are web-based solutions. Not deep, but easy to access, and most are free. There’s a Feb 2009 review of 15 different web-based image editors here.

I posted my reasons I work with Photoshop in this post last week; if the limitations aren't limiting you, however, there's no reason to spend the (substantial) extra amount on Photoshop over an alternative. You are more likely to run into limitations with other products, but that doesn't mean those limits will actually affect you.

Apr 30 09 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

well the thing is my husband wants to buy it for me since we might get a new desktop later so we rather just have the cd you know??
agh.... so stressful

Well, score one for being legal. A friend installing it is against the law and against MM rules.

So yes, go ahead and buy Elements. If it isn't enough, you can always resell it (Adobe will transfer the license if you contact their customer service, so that's legal too) and buy CS3 or CS4.

There are also other cheap or free programs...paint.net and GIMP both work on Windows.

Apr 30 09 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lighted Images

Seattle, Washington, US

I use DxO optics pro as my raw converter and Paintshop pro for touchups on photos. I find this works well.

Apr 30 09 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

If you look online you can still find Photoshop CS2 and get quite a deal on it.  There is no need for anyone to have CS3 or 4 for simple photo work anyway, don't waste your dollars.  Just know this: All graphic raster(pixel) based software are inferior to Adobe.

Apr 30 09 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Plint

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Download a 30 free trial from adobe, see if elements has what you need. Then either purchase the licence on line or go buy a hard copy!

Apr 30 09 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

coraxphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

As Tim said for Elements, download the free 30 day trial of Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 and give it a whirl.  See if you like it/them before choosing either one.  The PSP is a full version, so you use it to the max for 30 days.

I looked at PSP and Elements and decided to go with Corel, even though it's not as "hip" as having Photoshop.  I just liked how it navigated and looked much better than Elements, was a little bit cheaper, and did everything I needed/wanted at this point.  If you aren't doing pro level editing, I don't really see why you need to invest in anything more than either one of those.  It's like someone asking "Should I get a Nikon or Canon?"  And I tell them to hold each, navigate through the buttons/menu system, and get the one that feels most natural to you...(which may not be either brand.) 

If you plan on shooting RAW, you may want to see which software does the best job with your particular RAW files.

Apr 30 09 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

agh.... so stressful

you can order it online, download it right away then the CD is delivered with the code so you can type the code in and VOILA your done

Apr 30 09 06:31 pm Link