Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Even Skin Tone....AM I the only one DUMBFOUNDED?

Model

Ultra Model Soncerae

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've been using photoshop for 6 months now and I still can't find a way to smooth and even skin basically without blurring. I check out tutorials online however I never seem to find any that can show me  how successfully execute the look I want. Here is a link to an image that I love. I'm not a professional. I'm willing to listen. A lot of you wow me with your work. So those that are willing to help please tell me something good. This is a direct link to what I want my images to look like.  It's not perfect but close to what I want.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248 … XAMPLE.jpg

What techniques do you all suggest?

May 29 09 08:59 pm Link

Retoucher

Aphoristic Precise

Los Angeles, California, US

That's blur. Or Imagenomic Portraiture. Same difference in my book.

Skin tone is referring to color, so you're probably talking about skin complexion.

May 29 09 09:06 pm Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

yes a pretty gross example..

May 29 09 09:08 pm Link

Model

Ultra Model Soncerae

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TheEighthSin wrote:

Well if you can email me something better please do....your work is amazing...how do you get the skin to be so smooth?

May 29 09 09:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

there is a post somewhere down the page people where linking some tutorials you can follow and get some better ideas of what to do.  6months with photoshop is a good basic start, but for example, me after 9 years, I still find out new things and better ways to do the same thing.

May 29 09 09:19 pm Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

I only use heal tool and clone tool... big_smile go figure hehehe

May 29 09 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Use the healing tool to touch up major blemishes, then try this

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213

Don't give up if it doesn't work the first time.  It takes some practice to get the feeling for matching the radius to the scale of the "grunge"

Also, never forget that removing freckles is a mortal sin.  smile

May 29 09 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

SuperCrash1

West Hollywood, California, US

I agree that is a poor example and in my opinion your work would be better off if it did not take that direction, unless for some "artistic" purpose. However, if you wanted to achieve that look you could mask the flesh, blur it, air brush it with a skin town, then dodge in some highlights before applying a lot of contrast or overlay on the skin.

May 29 09 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

Los Angeles, California, US

there's 9 ways to skin a portrait with photoshop...

best advice i heard was to "just take your time...and practice often"

May 29 09 10:26 pm Link

Model

Mika

Miami, Florida, US

TheEighthSin wrote:

Yeah, that was WAY overdone.

May 29 09 10:30 pm Link

Model

Laragh

Baltimore, Maryland, US

May 30 09 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

try this (and yes you will need to play with it- this is just a demo!)

duplicate your background layer twice

set the first dupe to exclusion mode at 20%

set the second dupe to screen mode at 50%

notice that the skin brightness should be about the same, but contrast has gone WAY down

now add in d&b or healing brush, lots of masking, and you can get nice smooth skin tones while keeping some texture

May 30 09 12:37 am Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

please don`t do that, it looks fake and it will look fake to everyone else.

Use the heal brush as suggested.  When that`s not doing what you want, use the clone tool and experiment with brushes, opacity and hardness.
If you really want, fiddle with some layers...

Pores are there because you have them.

May 30 09 01:07 am Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lamia_ wrote:
Yeah it looks so fake

I'd be interested on how this is done:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nyB2OeEAzKU/SbaAI … gn_thu.jpg

http://www.glamboulevard.com/wp-content … _small.jpg

good skin and foundation...?

May 30 09 01:08 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

SONCERAE wrote:

From the Digital Art & Retouching Forum FAQ

How do I get great-looking skin on a model?

Start with a model with great skin, use a great makeup artist, and you’ll cut down your retouching tremendously while getting better results. smile

Once that's done...

Many retouching novices blur skin to achieve “clean” results. Unfortunately, to an educated eye, this is extremely obvious and unrealistic; blurring skin is virtually never a good idea for commercial or high-level work where realistic results are required.

In some portrait or glamour situations where the clients are less demanding and the time/cost tradeoffs are different, however, judicious blurring may be acceptable. In those cases use of the healing brush, clone tool, followed by a light application of a blur (Gaussian/median/anisotropic/etc) to the skin may be acceptable. Tools like the Skin Smoothing Plug-ins listed in lll’s lll's Photo Software List may save a little time over doing the blurring manually.

Angelo Lorenzo Photo’s thread Basic Pore Smoothing Technique gives a step-by-step description of an effective blur-based approach.

A more time-consuming approach, but one which gives far more realistic looking results is described in Ronald Tan's Basic Pixel Level Dodging and Burning Tutorial MM thread. Another thread describing this technique is Christos’ Understanding Skin Retouching Regarding LIGHT thread.

An offsite) guide from Glitterguru (Suzette Troche-Stapp) goes through this and more.

Also check out older threads on this topic. (Most of those discuss the less desirable blur-based techniques, however.)

May 30 09 01:33 am Link

Model

Ultra Model Soncerae

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thank you guys...ok I get it that image was gross lol.

May 30 09 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Erica Rae Perry

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Ew, that example is way too edited.. looks cartoonish. A lot of people use surface blur, but I personally don't like it. I just use make up, and the heal and clone tool, also.

May 30 09 07:44 am Link

Photographer

epo

Columbus, Ohio, US

There is no short cut all the blurring tutorials above will leave other issues.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 5900&page=
do this.  You will thank yourself for it.

Or you can check out this helpful post with links to other things people do
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … ost9990687

May 30 09 08:58 am Link

Model

Nikki the pixel NiNja

Montpelier, Ohio, US

it is way overdone to the point of cartooning.
try the heal tool then the clone tool and when it looks even use your brush tool
and pick the color of her skin with the dropper tool
(thats when you click the color change option and go over the photo and click instead of on the color scale, if you didnt know that)
then with a low opacity genly brushe around her face to give it more even color
kind of like a sheer photoshop foundation
hope that helped!

May 30 09 09:06 am Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

I use the healing brush set to different opacity  .  You can grab the skin around the blemishes set the brush (healing tool) to lighten to lighten the dark areas and set it to darken to darken the lightened areas that need to go down.  Very effective.

May 30 09 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Traciee D wrote:
I use the healing brush set to different opacity  .  You can grab the skin around the blemishes set the brush (healing tool) to lighten to lighten the dark areas and set it to darken to darken the lightened areas that need to go down.  Very effective.

The opacity of the healing brush cannot be set or adjusted, at least not through CS3. You can only adjust size and hardness.

May 30 09 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Michele Cheeseman

Redding, California, US

Dodge, Burn and specific color correction... tedious, but all texture remains intact

May 30 09 01:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

The opacity of the healing brush cannot be set or adjusted, at least not through CS3. You can only adjust size and hardness.

Sorry meant the hardness of it...OOPS! typo

May 30 09 01:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

Traciee D wrote:

True, but you can use some of the different blend modes (lighten and darken), and you can use healing on a separate layer and set the layer opacity (or use a mask).

May 30 09 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

Traciee D wrote:

Kevin_Connery wrote:
True, but you can use some of the different blend modes (lighten and darken), and you can use healing on a separate layer and set the layer opacity (or use a mask).

Yep, do it all the time. Technically you CAN adjust the opacity by using Edit->Fade after every brush stroke, but that would get old in a hurry.

May 30 09 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Hassy501

Try Mama's light powder actions....they work for me.....

May 30 09 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

DIGITAL SNIPER

Rochester, New York, US

Kodak Digital Gem

May 30 09 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

I'll post this in this thread also since it works well for this need.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098

This thread talks about "high frequency (details) and low frequencies (tones) in images and how to separate them out onto their own layers. Then you can proceed to work on just the part you want to. You can adjust tones all you want without destroying any detail or work on the details without messing up the tones.

I forget what page it's on, but there is a link to an action I made that will set up the layers for you and a lot of discussion in the thread on how to do what you want to do.

Good luck!

May 30 09 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Terry M Day Jr

Gwinner, North Dakota, US

SONCERAE wrote:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/lovely_463/EXAMPLE.jpg

Before I say anything, is that your work or something you want to accomplish?

May 30 09 06:39 pm Link

Model

Ultra Model Soncerae

Atlanta, Georgia, US

O my goodness all this talk about opacities and dodges and blurs looks like chinese to me. I'm so lost....

May 30 09 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

SONCERAE wrote:
O my goodness all this talk about opacities and dodges and blurs looks like chinese to me. I'm so lost....

Pick up a good book on Photoshop.

My list of recommended Photoshop books for photographers is here. It's very different than the ones I'd recommend to a graphic artist, but make a much better foundation for photo-imaging than most general photoshop books.

May 30 09 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Your skin looks fine to me!

May 30 09 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

RobertGaliano

Gulfport, Mississippi, US

clone stamp tool is all you need... once you get the feel for brush type, size, and opacity, skin can be perfect and still lok like skin in minutes.

May 30 09 09:21 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TheEighthSin wrote:

yup..maybe try models with better skin to begin with..

May 30 09 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

RobertGaliano wrote:
clone stamp tool is all you need... once you get the feel for brush type, size, and opacity, skin can be perfect and still lok like skin in minutes.

Problem with clone is that you lose skin texture.  smile

May 30 09 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

RobertGaliano

Gulfport, Mississippi, US

ya don't loose texture if you take the right  sample, and apply it carefully... that's the whole idea of a "clone".. replace bad skin with "cloned"good  skin

May 30 09 09:30 pm Link