Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Extreme noise, how do you handle it?

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

I'm a little frustrated. I just spent all this time repairing this super-noisy photo and now the topic's gone. Here's what I came up with anyway:

https://a6.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f011016446aee860b-pi

Edit: I didn't take this picture, and this is the full size I retouched. I don't think the original poster ever put up a larger size.

First I used neatimage to clean up the noise, which left the image very blurry. Next I separated the frequencies, then applied deconvolution sharpening(Focus Magic plugin) to both the low frequency and high frequency layer (low radius for the HF, high radius for the LW). I used Lucis filter on duplicate layer then blended it at 20% to repair the contrast (I think I overdid it). Finally one more round of neatimage and deconvolution sharpening.

Aug 18 09 12:30 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Oh, and since the image was so small I was able to cheat a bit and clone some of the artifacts that were caused by the sharpening.

Aug 18 09 12:31 am Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

yeah noise sucks

you removed more than me though i think lol

Aug 18 09 12:39 am Link

Model

M

San Diego, California, US

You guys are awesome!

If you're bored, I have an entire album of graininess. Let me know lol wink

But really, I appreciate it!!
Hope you're havin a good night.

Aug 18 09 12:44 am Link

Model

M

orias is great! thanks doll.

Aug 18 09 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Russell Lewis

Sometimes you just have to accept that the horse is dead and that no amount of flogging will bring it back to life.

Aug 18 09 01:08 am Link

Model

M

wink

Aug 18 09 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

I use Noise Ninja for the noise, usually selecting the shadows and running a custom noise profile against it.  I disable 'Turbo' mode, disable the USM, usually enable 'Coarse noise correction', and tweak the strength and smoothness operators to get a decent result.

I've not had time to really develop the technique, but there's a way to handle the stepping of the low-light areas churning around in the back of my head.  It may be as simple as developing the contrast with shadow & highlight masks as Bob has talked about with application of the Spatter filter to the mask to vary it and reintroduce some tone; equally it might be preferable to run the filter against a separate copy of the image - I just haven't had time to play with it much.

Aug 18 09 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

mikedimples wrote:
I'm a little frustrated. I just spent all this time repairing this super-noisy photo and now the topic's gone.

That what happens when threads that don't belong get locked.

"Retouch my image for free" threads are not supposed to be allowed here. Yet, there are so many every day now, they've turned this forum into a joke.

And FTR, that image is way beyond saving. Why even bother?

Aug 18 09 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Alfiere

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

wow thats some noise! i dont think thats saveable..

Aug 18 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Sublime Texas

Austin, Texas, US

If the image sucks lemons to begin with, why spend the time pissing all over it and hope you made lemonade?

Aug 18 09 11:03 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Why? Because this is the place where we discuss new retouching techniques. What would happen if you were offered a high paying project from a photographer who needs some super-noisy images repaired. One never knows what projects might be coming their way, so it's good to be prepared.

I've been curious about the frequency separation technique that Robert Randall used to repair those ISO 1600 images in his portfolio ever since I saw them. Hopefully he'll drop by and enlighten us.

Aug 18 09 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Mike,

Did you start with the hi-res or the same one you posted in your OP?

Aug 18 09 06:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Russell Lewis wrote:
Sometimes you just have to accept that the horse is dead and that no amount of flogging will bring it back to life.

I have to agree on this one.  You did a better job than most of us could do removing the noise, but its just not save-able (is that a word? lol)

Aug 18 09 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I have to side with the "get it right in the camera" crew this time. I print BIG, with an Epson 9600, and clean, detailed images are the only ones that will do. If you are only putting the images on the internet, it is not so critical, but you will spend a LOT of time trying to "put lipstick on a pig". I start with a high end digital camera, shoot for the image information to be as far to the right, on the histogram, as possible, (as exposed as possible, without blowing out important details in the highlights). I also NEVER shoot at over 200 ISO. This might not be possible in some venues, so I always shoot in as bright an environment as possible, (usually in mid-day, direct sunlight !!!). If I absolutely have to shoot in a dark environment, I either use lights, or assess the importance of shooting there and then, and I might just decide to NOT do that shoot !
-Don

Aug 18 09 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

Aug 18 09 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

A Personal Travesty

Hoover, Alabama, US

Add more.  (I'm wondering if I'll get brigged for this, but it's what I would do.  When noise owns a shot you want to keep, learn to own the noise.)

Aug 18 09 07:56 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
Mike,

Did you start with the hi-res or the same one you posted in your OP?

Same size. I just wanted to see what could be done (not much!).

Aug 18 09 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

mikedimples wrote:
Why? Because this is the place where we discuss new retouching techniques. What would happen if you were offered a high paying project from a photographer who needs some super-noisy images repaired. One never knows what projects might be coming their way, so it's good to be prepared.

I've been curious about the frequency separation technique that Robert Randall used to repair those ISO 1600 images in his portfolio ever since I saw them. Hopefully he'll drop by and enlighten us.

I didn't use the term repair when referencing those images, because I don't think they required repair. First of all, there is quite a bit of difference between the lighting you have used in your example and what I used on that job. Your exposure seems quite a bit under, so you would naturally be dealing with more noise than if you had exposed the image more toward the highlight end. Also, not every image from the job I did was shot at 1600, a few were shot at 800 and one or two were shot at 400.

Travesty mentioned something that I agree with, and that is if you need to deal with noise, make it work for you. One of the tricks I employed was in adding noise to mask the noise already in place. Breaking up a pattern of noise in the shadows, and employing the texture throughout the images, tends to reduce the visual impact of in camera noise. I added this at the picture level on a few soft light layers, and I also did it on the Detail layer at a later stage of the process. 

Ultimately, I think you are battling lighting and exposure issues more than noise issues.

Aug 19 09 04:06 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Great advice as always, thanks.

Aug 19 09 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Not much detail in the smaller version. I'd like to have started with full-size, but here ya go...

https://www.nunuvyer.biz/miscimages/Noise-1.jpg

Aug 20 09 03:20 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Cool, what method did you use to get rid of the noise?

Aug 20 09 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

mikedimples wrote:
Cool, what method did you use to get rid of the noise?

A combination of a lot of things, actually.

Some people dismiss it, but ACR actually has a Noise Reduction function that works fairly well sometimes. I used that and the Mask setting in the Sharpen function to get rid of a lot of the noise.

Opened in Photoshop. Did a dual separation. Kept the low freq at about .5 pixels and the low low another .7 pixels on top of that to act as a bandstop for the range in between where most of the remaining noise was. Then I did some simple healing on the low frequency layer to even out tones and on the high frequency layer to get out some of the remaining artifacts. Then I clipped a curves layer to the high frequency layer only and cranked on the contrast to bring back some of the definition.

From there, it was only simple adjustments with curves and Shadows/Highlights.

I just wish I had full size to work from. Might still have a little detail here and there to steal for cloning. smile

Aug 20 09 03:53 pm Link