Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Not using the "High Pass Sucks" solution *sucks*.

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
I use CS4 and it pastes into the group for me.

;?

And just in case you wanna use it, I started a simple repository for the scripts/actions/examples dealing with the Frequency Separation methods....

http://www.model-citizens.com/FreqSep/

will take a look

Apr 23 10 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Mask Photo wrote:

I use CS4 and it pastes into the group for me.

;?

will take a look

I tried it a few times a few different ways and every time it goes through the Sharpen actions, the layers all end up within the Original group. But when I stop it after it makes the HF Scratch layer and move that to the top of the stack, it works fine.

Apr 23 10 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Mask Photo wrote:
stay tuned; there will be (at least) one more version coming once i verify that the healing layer will clip to the HF layer and blend correctly.

edit: cute avatar, by the way

I have this thread bookmarked as I expect it will grow to be as useful (actually, it's already more useful for me) as the original thread.

And thanks for the comment smile

Apr 24 10 08:13 am Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

This thread and the original have been massive wealths of information.  The first time I read it, it was a bit confusing, but the more I messed around with it I really wrap my head around how it all works now.  Cheers for figuring this stuff out, its real genious at work I must say!

Apr 24 10 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Ok, I'm trying to get this to work but am having loads of trouble. here's what I'd *like* to happen:

layer stack:

+Capture Sharpen (curves adjustment)
+Noise (linear light)
+Healing (normal)
High Frequency (linear light)

The HF layer should be in LL in order to put its detail back into the LF layer.. And I can get the healing layer (in normal mode) to clip to the HF layer to inherit its blend mode. I can also get the capture sharpen layer to clip.
however, I can't get the noise layer to behave correctly. If I leave it as LL, unclipped, it works fine, but i can't put it below the capture layer. If I clip it in LL, it seems to apply its effects twice or something strange, things get way too sharp with noise clipped in LL. If i leave Noise in "normal" and clip it, things get wrecked.

Am i missing something? Have i explained correctly?

Apr 25 10 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

DH Studios

Davenport, Florida, US

I tried it a few times a few different ways and every time it goes through the Sharpen actions, the layers all end up within the Original group. But when I stop it after it makes the HF Scratch layer and move that to the top of the stack, it works fine.

Photons, did you grab v0.7.3?  from this post: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st12736874 

click where it says "this"

After that, make sure you're using 0.7.3 in your actions menu and not still using 0.7.2 (infact, just delete 0.7.2 since 0.7.3 does not overwrite it.. you will need to add the action back in)

Hope that helps... it fixed my problem, and I was having the same issue as you...

Apr 29 10 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

DH Studios wrote:

Photons, did you grab v0.7.3?  from this post: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st12736874 

click where it says "this"

After that, make sure you're using 0.7.3 in your actions menu and not still using 0.7.2 (infact, just delete 0.7.2 since 0.7.3 does not overwrite it.. you will need to add the action back in)

Hope that helps... it fixed my problem, and I was having the same issue as you...

No, I didn't get that. I actually use my own action but was only trying to help solve an issue some were having.

Thanks! big_smile

Apr 29 10 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Lynn Helms Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Lunarimaging wrote:
This thread and the original have been massive wealths of information.  The first time I read it, it was a bit confusing, but the more I messed around with it I really wrap my head around how it all works now.  Cheers for figuring this stuff out, its real genious at work I must say!

My head is still not wrapping, but I'm definitely trying! Thanks to all of y'all for the help.

Apr 29 10 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

New version up, linked (and described) in the OP. Some improvements, but nothing groundbreaking (though I do enjoy not having to set my clone source on the high frequency layer over and over now)

Jun 04 12 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Mask Photo wrote:
New version up, linked in the OP. Some improvements, but nothing groundbreaking (though I do enjoy not having to set my clone source on the high frequency layer over and over now)

Awesome thanks I have to try it out....

Jun 04 12 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Hotfix uploaded: now any layer that does simple sharpening is desaturated. I noticed that some of the creative sharpening layers were altering the saturation, which is something that should be done for a reason, not as a side-effect of sharpening.
(the exception to this is local contrast; it just looked weird being desaturated, since the whole point of the layer is to emphasize differences in large areas)

Also added another flavor of creative "sharpening" in the final effects action. Now we have:
Sharpen - 4.3px
Grit - 13px
Edge Enhancement - 40px
Local Contrast - 85px

if you want to tweak these for your own files, the values I used are 1/1000 the longest side of the image for Sharpen, 3/1000 for grit, ~9/1000 for Edge, and ~18/1000 for Local Contrast.

Jun 11 12 01:47 am Link

Photographer

dirkschmitz

Trier, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany

@Mask Photo: YOU are my personal hero! smile

Jul 04 12 11:54 am Link

Digital Artist

Eikon

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

mask, your "final effects" set has a save action right at the top.  after playing around with your actions in a file id been working on, i go to run that one and it goes ahead and saves my psd with all your new layers and testing stuff.  thankfully i stopped it.  this shouldnt be something left in an action, and if it is, it should be a prompt, not automatic.

just an fyi.

Jul 07 12 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Eikon wrote:
mask, your "final effects" set has a save action right at the top.  after playing around with your actions in a file id been working on, i go to run that one and it goes ahead and saves my psd with all your new layers and testing stuff.  thankfully i stopped it.  this shouldnt be something left in an action, and if it is, it should be a prompt, not automatic.

just an fyi.

you're welcome to put in a prompt, but respectfully, i feel that these are actions you should only use in production once you've toyed with them and know what they do. They're intended to be the last thing you do to a file anyway, since they overlay stamps of the entire image in the top layer group.

I put the save steps in there because I got tired of doing work that i'd lose when pshop would lock up, which was happening about 3 times a day for a while, inevitably after I'd forgotten to save, but even having it happen once a month is too often for me, so I argue that the save steps stay in. wink

You can also always just run your history back to before one of the actions went off, provided your history cache is big enough; you could have re-saved your file from there. Perhaps it should set a history snapshot before it starts up...

Thanks for bringing this up, though; nobody's asked about the save steps before now, so discussing them slipped my mind.

Jul 08 12 01:52 am Link

Photographer

plabonte

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

So just because I am a newb.

The final effects action do I run that on a merged layer with all the edits applied?

Jan 14 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

plabonte wrote:
So just because I am a newb.

The final effects action do I run that on a merged layer with all the edits applied?

Yep. Get all your retouching done, because the final effects will make 3 grouped effects layers that all use a stamp of what's done so far.

If you have to go back and re-edit, hide and rename your final effects folder, then when you run it again, copy the masks over to the new one and your prior sharpening decisions are preserved.

Jan 15 13 08:48 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

Thank you so much for sharing.

Jan 16 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

plabonte

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I must be doing something wrong.
When I run workspace everything is fine. Then when I run the frequency separation 8-bit the final image looks a high pass filter of an image on a 50% grey background?

Also during the scrip it ask about a snapshot and if I should pick all layers, current layer or merged layers... not sure what do answer there either... sorry is there a faq for the scripts?

Also I have no idea how to post an image in a thread.

Jan 16 13 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

plabonte

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I think I figured it out... the base layer group was not shown after the action is finished. Also the image after the action (frequency separated) has been sharpened a great deal... I just want to make sure it should look that way.

I thought I read once the action is finished there should not be a difference between the original and the frequency separated image.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions.

Jan 16 13 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

plabonte wrote:
I must be doing something wrong.
When I run workspace everything is fine. Then when I run the frequency separation 8-bit the final image looks a high pass filter of an image on a 50% grey background?

You're not doing anything wrong. the action turns the base group off so i can clone on the healing layer using "current and below".

There are 3 ways to heal.
1) clone stamp on the HF layer (you'll have to unlock it or modify the script)
2) clone on the healing layer by setting your clone source on the HF layer and switching back
3) hide the base layer and clone onto the healing layer with "current and below" checked.

I hate #1 because it means your edits are relatively destructive. It's hard to undo them if you edit the HF layer directly.
I hate #2 because I spent hours clicking back and forth between layers before I hit on #3.
#3 lets you edit the texture with quick alt-clicks of the clone brush, and you can stay on the healing layer. It's possible that there's some way to exclude a group from cloning, but I don't know it.

plabonte wrote:
Also during the scrip it ask about a snapshot and if I should pick all layers, current layer or merged layers... not sure what do answer there either... sorry is there a faq for the scripts?

You're in the faq. wink
I've never run into that dialog, and i've used these actions on CS4, 5, and 6 (though not recently on 4). What version are you running? At what point is it asking this?

plabonte wrote:
I think I figured it out... the base layer group was not shown after the action is finished. Also the image after the action (frequency separated) has been sharpened a great deal... I just want to make sure it should look that way.

I thought I read once the action is finished there should not be a difference between the original and the frequency separated image.

It's temporarily sharpened a great deal. a gross amount of sharpening, just to emphasize flaws.
Due to the #3 healing method above, you have to turn off the base layer to heal, but that made some imperfections impossible to see (light gray on light gray), so i threw in a layer called "exaggerate texture" to make the flaws pop out during healing. You'll turn that layer off (when you're done healing), and your image will be back to normal. I frequently turn it off and base on to check the status of my retouching, then flip them to retouch more.

plabonte wrote:
Thanks, sorry for all the questions.

not at all. It means people are using the actions, which is great.

Now, i *could* have made them easier for the masses to use, but since i'm dogfooding (eating my own dogfood = using the things i make), i made it to be useful to my workflow. wink

Jan 16 13 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

plabonte

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I am using CS6, and I figured out that error only happens after you rerun the script after your select Revert Image (one I screwed up the first time I reverted back to the original image and reran the script). However the first time you run the script after you open the original image the script runs fine.

Thanks for making the script, it's awesome!

Jan 17 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

plabonte

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

One last question about your workflow, do you do any edits for your shots in camera raw? (other then white balance and color adjustment)

Healing Brush?
Adjustment Brush?

Jan 17 13 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

plabonte wrote:
One last question about your workflow, do you do any edits for your shots in camera raw? (other then white balance and color adjustment)

Healing Brush?
Adjustment Brush?

I do all the "big moves" in lightroom (effectively ACR for your purposes). Large tonal adjustments, gross color adjustments, etc. Also, if you're extending your dynamic range, you'll want to pull several exposures out of the raw and then sandwich and mask them... That's all done before the split. If you have a composite before you split, you'll end up with that composite preserved in the "original" group.

Jan 17 13 06:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Paulo Saavedra

Cochabamba, Cochabamba, Bolivia

Ha! Seems like a very nice post, gonna read it properly tomorrow morning

Jan 20 13 09:56 pm Link