Forums > Photography Talk > AFP Steals Photog's Pics and Then Sues Him!

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

There's an EXTREMELY significant lesson here if you read closely. Twitter's terms, and the TOS w/ many other photo-sharing sites, include giving the site a right to sub-license and license. This means that once you upload, the site can license the use of your photos to anyone and anything for any purpose for any financial arrangement. And you don't get to even know about it, much less know the financial arrangements, license ... or get a nickel out of it.

You are not giving away your copyright, since you can still make use of your own photos. You are, however, giving up the right to control the use of your own work.

I predict that in the future, especially if Google succeeds in its efforts to gut copyright law, sites like Photo Bucket or FlickR will be looking at openly operating as stock image banks, licensing images out for cash. Perhaps they'll do it through subsidiaries with different names, to muddy the waters. But even if most of the millions of photos on these giant sites are worthless, there are still millions more with genuine commercial value.

Apr 29 10 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

DarkSlide

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I know, and have worked alongside, Daniel in Haiti several times. He cares deeply about his country and I understand his innocent, albeit ignorant, mistake in judgement to get his images distributed. It is sad that AFP has taken the position they have while taking advantage of Daniel and the situation caused by the earthquake.

Apr 29 10 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

glamour pics wrote:
There's an EXTREMELY significant lesson here if you read closely. Twitter's terms, and the TOS w/ many other photo-sharing sites, include giving the site a right to sub-license and license. This means that once you upload, the site can license the use of your photos

well, in this case, it's completely not what you're describing, because twitter is not a photo sharing site; it's a site on which this photographer linked to a different photo sharing site (which, admittedly, does that some sublicensing text in their ToS, and isnt clear on who its affiliates are). But i see your point, in that people have to be very careful where they put their images nowadays.

glamour pics wrote:
You are not giving away your copyright, since you can still make use of your own photos. You are, however, giving up the right to control the use of your own work.

a copyright is... a right... to copy. if you no longer have a right to determine who copies your work, semantically, you *don't* have copyright anymore.
Yes, i know there are other legal structures built around copyright, but the core of those is the right to copy.

glamour pics wrote:
I predict that in the future, especially if Google succeeds in its efforts to gut copyright law, sites like Photo Bucket or FlickR will be looking at openly operating as stock image banks, licensing images out for cash. Perhaps they'll do it through subsidiaries with different names, to muddy the waters. But even if most of the millions of photos on these giant sites are worthless, there are still millions more with genuine commercial value.

It's definitely possible. I predict an enormous backlash if they ever try something like that. Following the backlash, i predict some sort of microstock opt-in solution, which will likely have the effect of eroding, even more, the ability of artists to protect their work (that is, if flickr does an opt-in microstock kind of deal, most people won't see any difference between images in each category, and will just use any image they come across. like now, but more rampant).

Apr 29 10 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

4point0

A word about fair use with regard to actual newspaper publishing: A staff reporter at my paper recently took a photo of a public event on public property and our publisher printed it inside our paper somewhere. Somehow our main competitor, another newspaper, came into possession of this image and printed it on the front page with a story about the event shortly thereafter. Yeah, that didn't really end so well for them.

Apr 29 10 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Fat Kitty Studios wrote:
Yeah, that didn't really end so well for them.

can you be more specific?

Apr 29 10 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Wilde One

Santa Monica, California, US

Interesting article on the aphotoeditor blog.

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/

The article states that AFP is used to bullying photographers, and now they ran into a pro with this, and are panicking.

Apr 29 10 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Wilde One

Santa Monica, California, US

Apr 29 10 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Mask Photo wrote:

you are basically failing at everything and need to stop.
twitter's rights STOP at anything beyond the actual text that is used in the tweet.
twitpic only retains the right to sublicense to affiliated sites.

the photographer retains copyright (quite literally, the RIGHT TO COPY) to his photos in both of these cases. AFP made unauthorized copies, thus violating the photographer's rights.

I strongly suggest you a) learn about what exactly twitter is and b) school yourself on what copyright actually means BEFORE you go mouthing off complete falsities in "public".

I suggest you learn to read. You have not made a single point that has merit. With that said, I have an ecological disaster unfolding in "my backyard" and have no time to educate you, because I am about to be on call to go deal with it.

Nice try.

Apr 29 10 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Wilde One wrote:
The article states that AFP is used to bullying photographers, and now they ran into a pro with this, and are panicking.

quite delicious; their tactics stank of bullying. I hope they get raked for this.

MerrillMedia wrote:
You have not made a single point that has merit.

please either respond to each of my (extremely valid and backed by law) points with a rebuttal, or cease your uneducated trolling.

Apr 29 10 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

4point0

Mask Photo wrote:

can you be more specific?

Sorry, out of court settlement means the details are private. No offense but I'm not willing to risk my job to reveal the details about that situation.

Apr 29 10 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

kensexton1

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:
From the article on PDN:
"AFP is suing a Haitian photojournalist for 'antagonistic assertion of [his] rights' after it distributed his news-breaking earthquake photos all over the world without his permission. AFP is mad because the photographer, Daniel Morel, sent cease and desist letters to numerous AFP clients, allegedly made false and defamatory statements about AFP, and made unreasonable monetary demands of AFP for infringement."

http://www.pdnpulse.com/2010/04/insult- … -from.html

It seams to me there is enormous pressure out there to make copyright meaningless, unless of course you can afford a team of lawyers.

The other part of the Deal is  wireservices have Always been Work for Hire.  I have shot riots for $15.00 a pix all rights. 
   Wirephotos are great to build a portfolio and move on to a national magazine or International Photo Agency.
   If you are in a breaking National story call Getty Images or Corbis.  I don't think I would trust a daily newspaper either.  There is too much money involved.   My career skyrocked because the old Gamma Liason sold nine frames to Newsweek for a full page spred. It ran Wiorldwide, paid $5,000.00 several times over for about 10 minets work.

May 02 10 12:59 pm Link