Forums > Photography Talk > AFP Steals Photog's Pics and Then Sues Him!

Photographer

Ricardo Sevilla 2

Miami, Florida, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:
Don't sweat it! But I sure would love to hear that attorney's take on this!

Yeah. Will do. I'll make sure to follow up here tomm. Stay tuned big_smile. Unless there are any attorneys here, I hope to bring back useful info for all of us to use.

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

Apr 27 10 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

The part of the law quoted as an example of "fair use" is used incorrectly as an example. That part of the law was specifically directed at copyright of written material at the beginning where limited portions of copyrighted material may be used for news. This has been extended to movies and films; but the operative word is "portions" and do not include any works in it's entirety. Use of a photograph is not "portions" and just because it's news does not make it "fair".

An example would be the Zapruder film, which was copyrighted and the usage rights sold to Life. There was a case of "fair use" of charcoal drawings of frames for use in a book, because of the additional commentary and use of certain frames. But other uses have been protected even while the Zapruder family transferred the film to the National Archives and Records Administration, but the family retained the copyright. In Dec. 1992 the JFK act transferred by eminent domain, the physical film under law to the National archives, but the family still held the copyright until 1999 when they donated the rights to the Sixth Floor Musuem.

See: David Wrone - The Zapruder Film: Reframing JFK's Assassination (2003)

Apr 27 10 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Zarco

New York, New York, US

well, that was interesting. thanx all.

Apr 27 10 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I think that those who assume that any use of a copyrighted photo is fair use, if news reporting is involved, better do some more reading.

First, there is no hard and fast rule as to what fair use is and isn't. Someone can claim fair use and the copyright owner can dispute that. Should the disagreement continue, short of a settlement, the issue is not resolved until fought in court. Those who have ever fought a major court battle know that, "right and wrong" is very often decided by who has the better legal team, not who is "technically right."

Further, a news organization can not just "take" a photo and use it. There are issues of monetary loss to the copyright holder and issues of first publication. There are also issues involving use of a complete work, as opposed to use of only part of the work. This last issue gets very complicated in regard to a photo.

I agree that the real mistake that the photog in question made, is in publishing the photos on Twitter. This is true in a number of respects. First is the TOS. Those who read such terms carefully, usually find that they not only give the site copyright, but also give them the right to "sell, assign, transfer, yada, yada, yada." That fact validates the opinion that a few here have expressed, in regard to Twitter being the party with a right of action against AFP. Additionaly, by publishing the photos on Twitter, the photog gave up rights with respect to first publication and potential monetary value. In short, the guy gave his rights away.

I also doubt that Twitter decided not to take action, because of fair use issues. Rather, I believe that they weren't particularly concerned about the issue. A few photos of the Haiti disaster have no significant monetary value to Twitter and they certainly aren't worth a court fight with a major news organization over them.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the advice of the "Model Mayhem Legal Team."

Apr 27 10 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ricardo Sevilla 2

Miami, Florida, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
I also doubt that Twitter decided not to take action, because of fair use issues. Rather, I believe that they weren't particularly concerned about the issue. A few photos of the Haiti disaster have no significant monetary value to Twitter and they certainly aren't worth a court fight, with a major news organization over them.

Or maybe they would want to avoid a PR issue. Such as trying to profit from a disaster like Earthquake in Haiti? or look bad by preventing the news of such a disaster from spreading?

Just a thought.

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

Apr 27 10 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

What I get from reading all this is that the MMPhotographers, who are normally rabid about denying fair use to models, MUAs, etc, have spun around on a dime here and now think that fair use definitely applies to big corporations who want to steal from a little guy.

Apr 27 10 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:

Or maybe they would want to avoid a PR issue. Such as trying to profit from a disaster like Earthquake in Haiti? or look bad by preventing the news of such a disaster from spreading?

Just a thought.

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

Yup, could be either one of those two issues.

Apr 27 10 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

YouAtHome Photo

Los Gatos, California, US

He could use Twitter, but not email... hmm...

Apr 27 10 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
Twitter has a case. Not the photographer.
Not reading the TOS makes him an idiot and it doesn't excuse anything.
x

Natalia, that's simply not correct. That's like saying that if I grab your photos which you have posted on modelmayhem, and publish them, without your permission, only Modelmayhem has a case, not the photographer.

Apr 27 10 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

paul hart

Murwillumbah, New South Wales, Australia

You can argue points of law (and your or others interpretations of it ) til the cows come home, but the final arbiter would be a judge in court.

What should perhaps be pointed out is what should the photographer have done (and others in similar situations in the future) to obtain what he wanted
1. Recognition
2. $$$

In my opinion only  he should have:
A. Uploaded only very low res images to show what was available. (from reading further it seems that twitter does not have pictures but a separate site twitpics does. Check the difference here:
http://help.twitter.com/entries/13920-f … -questions
So twitpic TOS would apply not Twitter TOS)
B had photographer copyright over the centre of the image to make it very difficult to remove.
C. Had his contact details for offers for the high resolution pics.

Apr 27 10 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Lynch

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think that there's some serious money to be won by the injured party and that injured party is gonna be the photographer. 

It seems he did NOT Twitter the images.  He used TwitPics and that is a completely different service which has a T.O.S. that protects the copyright of the photographer -  so said the commenters on the original article. 

Read the original PDN article, especially the comments there.

Jerry Bennet wrote:
http://www.pdnpulse.com/2010/04/insult- … -from.html

I don't belong to and have not read the actual T.O.S. of Twitpics myself,  but if it were me, I'd screengrab the TwitPics T.O.S. right now - just in case they change.

And if I were a lawyer, I'd jump at the opportunity to take the photographer's case.

Apr 27 10 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

For all of you pointing to "fair use" the fair use doctrine [at least in the US] can NOT be used to, or where it will, destroy the economic value of someone's work. The effect of a use claimed as fair use under that doctrine has at it's centre the effect on the rights of the copyright owner... and most especially the economic value.

There is a running argument, in legal circles, as to whether or not a photograph can even, or ever, be used under a fair use claim exactly because it can not be used except as a whole and thus also can not be a mere sampling, quote, or illustrative extract as with written material.

Studio36

Apr 27 10 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

DMHolman

Lynnwood, Washington, US

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me like the whole issue of "fair use" or not doesn't actually apply.  From what I see, the main issue is that they took his photos and distributed them through Getty without proper credit and, in some cases, taking credit for the photos themselves. 

Beyond that, how does AFP think that the Twitter TOS somehow transfers to them?  They are not Twitter and can not claim any right to Twitter's TOS.  So in that respect, the question becomes did Twitter sub-license the images to AFP or are they partners with AFP?  If either of those, then the Twitter TOS does in fact cover it and he's screwed because it goes from being a "fair use" issue to just being part of the Terms of Service that he agreed to (whether he read and understood it or not).

Be interesting to know if Agence France Presse and Twitter have a deal.

As if I needed any more reason not to use Twitter.

-=>D

Apr 27 10 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph Jason Photograph

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:
So. A photographer uploads images to a SOCIAL web site, twitter. Social web site have clear terms and conditions that you automatically give limited rights to the social web site, and any partners.

He fucked messed up. As a photographer myself, I feel no pity for irresponsibility.

For next time, this photographer needs to have his own website, then LINK to his website from the social website he wishes to share with. Even then it's questionable.

Don't sue people for being an idiot.

Twitter's TOS regarding uploaded images:
"You retain your rights to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through the Services, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed)."

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Apr 28 10 01:29 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

As to fair use [US] you all need to look at

17 USC § 107
§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

[in part]...In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Studio36

Apr 28 10 01:32 am Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

Angela Michelle Perez wrote:
and this is why I don't have a twitter account

Twitter was known to be a bad site to park your images from the beginning. It was even reported in mainstream media.

Apr 28 10 01:44 am Link

Photographer

MC 2

New York, New York, US

I remember seeing the Tweets posted. I'm almost certain it's the same guy.

http://twitter.com/ramhaiti

You'd have to scroll back to the day of or the day after and you see his email posted as having photos available. I don't remember seeing any photos posted, nor links to the photos.

Apr 28 10 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

BlackArts - Jenna Black wrote:
If your model failed to read your release form, was shocked an appalled when you licensed the image (as per your agreement with her), and sent angry notes incorrectly accusing you of exploiting her image to your clients, you'd sue the living CRAP out of her.

Any of you would. And so would I.

While you're right, there is "right to privacy" laws that are legislated state by state that doesn't make this iron-clad

Apr 28 10 04:36 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

BlackArts - Jenna Black wrote:
If your model failed to read your release form, was shocked an appalled when you licensed the image (as per your agreement with her), and sent angry notes incorrectly accusing you of exploiting her image to your clients, you'd sue the living CRAP out of her. (empahsis added

Actually, you probably wouldn't sue the crap out of her, because she is most likely about 19 - 20 years old with about 137 dollars in the bank. No attorney is going to take your case on contingency and you aren't (unless you are just dumb) going to pay him/her $300 an hour, to sue someone with no money.

This is an aspect of civil litigation that "forum lawyers" never seem to get. Most often, I think, that is true because they have never been involved in a lawsuit, or any other legal action, beyond appearing in court for a traffic ticket.

About the best you could do, is to keep the claim low and run the matter through a small claims court. You could then represent yourself, but what's the point - you aren't going to get a significant award there either, plus you still can't collect easily. You might get a future earnings award for a few dollars a week, but is it worth the effort?

Apr 28 10 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Engel

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

This is why you post tiny thumbnails that they can't even use seriously online and make people go to your site for the big photo.

Make the social networking thing work FOR you, not against you.

Apr 28 10 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:
For next time, this photographer needs to have his own website, then LINK to his website from the social website he wishes to share with. Even then it's questionable

No, it's not. publishing content online does NOT place it in the public domain, and i can't believe someone would even suggest something so preposterous.

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:
Twitter's TOS regarding uploaded images:
"You retain your rights to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through the Services, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed)."

so... twitter EXPRESSLY states that you retain your rights, and only grant them a license to copy and display the work (which is NECESSARY, given the method of distribution), and you assert that if someone else violates your rights, it was YOU who effed up?

lightonpixels wrote:
That's my point.  Twitter's TOS offers no protection to the photographer.  If anyone has a potential beef with AFP, it's Twitter.  Morel has no legal standing to initiate action.

Twitter's TOS doesn't NEED to provide protection to the photographer. Those protections are built into copyright law.
Are you implying that if, say, REI licensed a photo from me, and then Nike ripped it off and used it in their ads, I'd have to wait for REI to sue Nike over the infringing use?
How about if I put a photo of Angelina Jolie on my portfolio and the Sun steals it and runs it in the Sunday edition... Do i have to wait for my hosting provider to sue for the Sun infringing MY rights?
Utter folly to suggest so.

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:
in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.

This is clearly meant to indicate that if you shoot, say, a photo of a traffic accident that happened in front of a famous sculpture, the sculptor could not turn around and sue for infringement, even though the sculpture is visible in the photo; it's incidental to the footage that's being reported.

MerrillMedia wrote:
I also doubt that Twitter decided not to take action, because .... they weren't particularly concerned about the issue.

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:

or maybe it wasn't their concern because it's completely NOT their concern. They're not the gatekeeper to the rights of the images you post, and assuming they are is VERY dangerous. they have a license to reproduce the images you post, because if they didn't have that license, you could sue them for every browser cached image a viewer creates (if you had an imaginative lawyer).
I believe all online printing websites have similar licenses, because if they didn't, the technicalities of the technology they use to move your images around FOR YOU could open them to some bizarre kind of liability (citation missing because i'm too lazy to look through kodakeasyshare's TOS to find the relevant).

Apr 28 10 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

regarding twitter's "right to sublicense", is there any more information on that? I'm betting there are restrictions, but that it has to exist for affiliates of twitter to post the content.

edit: and if there's no other restrictions, do we know that twitter licensed the photos to the news outlet in question, or were they just ninja'd from the twitter feed?

Apr 28 10 10:25 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

Mask Photo wrote:
or maybe it wasn't their concern because it's completely NOT their concern. They're not the gatekeeper to the rights of the images you post, and assuming they are is VERY dangerous. they have a license to reproduce the images you post, because if they didn't have that license, you could sue them for every browser cached image a viewer creates (if you had an imaginative lawyer).

You are forgetting that Twitter has language that includes a right to sublicense. If AFP lifted photos from a Twitter site, but didn't obtain a license from Twitter, Twitter has a cause of action. Once again, however, Twitter isn't likely to pick the fight, because it wouldn't be worth it to them.

This issue has nothing to do with the photographer's rights.

Apr 28 10 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
You are forgetting that Twitter has language that includes a right to sublicense. If AFP lifted photos from a Twitter site, but didn't obtain a license from Twitter, Twitter has a cause of action. Once again, however, Twitter isn't likely to pick the fight, because it wouldn't be worth it to them.

This issue has nothing to do with the photographer's rights.

YOU are forgetting that NOTHING in twitter's TOS states that the photographer gives up his/her rights, and in fact clearly states the opposite.
This isn't twitter's fight in the slightest. the images, OWNED by the photographer (were)/(may have been) used without ANY permission. this is NOT fair use, and it's NOT an issue for a licensee. it's an issue FOR THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER.

Apr 28 10 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

DMHolman

Lynnwood, Washington, US

I just realized something today that I didn't when I was reading this last night.  They said he uploaded the photos to Twitter.  But you can't upload photos to Twitter.  So I searched for and found what his original Tweet was.  What he did was upload his photos to Twitpic and then post the link in a Tweet.

AFP screwed up on this one and their contention they were allowed to do it under the Twitter TOS will not hold up.  Twitpic is not Twitter.  They are different companies.  It is no different than if he'd uploaded them to Flickr and then posted a link.  The TOS of Twitter does not extend off-site to linked material.  Even if AFP is a partner of Twitter, the only thing they could do under those terms is to show the original text of the Tweet showing the link.  The photos are outside of that.

Twitpic's TOS is nowhere near as invasive as Twitter's TOS:  http://twitpic.com/terms.do

That said, part of this is going to depend on exactly what he and his lawyer did after AFP complied with the cease and desist order they sent out.  I think if he went too far in that regard, he could still be held legally accountable.

It was also good to read that at least some organizations, like the Associated Press and Wall Street Journal, did the right thing and paid him for use of the photos.

-=>D

Apr 28 10 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Curse you all for making me curious and thereby wrecking my productivity.

It seems, from TFA, that the photos were uploaded to TwitPic (NOT twitter; you can't upload any photos to twitter; it's a text-only service).

The TwitPic ToS (currently) say:
"By uploading your photos to Twitpic you give Twitpic permission to use or distribute your photos on Twitpic.com or affiliated sites

All images uploaded are copyright © their respective owners
"

NOTE that this does NOT give any indication of any right to sublicense. The twitter right to sublicense refers to the content that is submitted ON TWITTER. All you're submitting on twitter is a shortened URL to a location of your photos. If I were to post my portfolio's URL on twitter, would you all assume that I'm putting my entire portfolio in the public domain? faugh! UTTER FOLLY.

Also note that the twitpic TOS explicitly states that they may sublicense to affiliated sites. Getty is not a twitpic affiliated site (unless my digging failed to uncover such, which could be possible).

FURTHER note that, from TFA, "The Wall Street Journal, the Associated Press, and others did see Morel's tweet and offer him money" thus proving that SOME of the big boys KNEW that the photographer retained his rights, as indeed, he did.

It seems that the basis of the lawsuit was that the photographer went after everyone who published the photos, and after AFP in particular, and AFP decided to sue him for being belligerent, and not because they were in the right in stealing his photos.

Apr 28 10 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

DMHolman wrote:
Twitpic's TOS is nowhere near as invasive as Twitter's TOS:  http://twitpic.com/terms.do

There's some discussion as to whether tweets are even copyrightable... There's some reason to assert that they may be considered "spontaneous utterances" which, apparently, aren't copyrightable.
but certainly any image one links to with a tweet IS DEFINITELY still copyrighted.

Apr 28 10 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

Mask Photo wrote:
YOU are forgetting that NOTHING in twitter's TOS states that the photographer gives up his/her rights, and in fact clearly states the opposite.
This isn't twitter's fight in the slightest. the images, OWNED by the photographer (were)/(may have been) used without ANY permission. this is NOT fair use, and it's NOT an issue for a licensee. it's an issue FOR THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER.

Let me try this again. According to the TOS, if you post pics on the Twitter site, Twitter acquires a license to use the photos. It also acquires a right to sub-license the photos. When those photos happen to be of a very newsworthy event, the right to sub-license has value. Since AFP apparently lifted the photos from Twitter's site, Twitter has a right to demand payment from AFP for using them without license, because their use is not "fair use." In spite of this, Twitter chose not to pursue the matter, but that is a choice, not a lack of right.

The fact that the photographer may or may not have rights as well, since we now know that Twitter's TOS does not include copyright, is irrelevant to your argument that Twitter has no rights. You also fail to understand that the photographer's copyright does not preclude sub-licensing, when he has given away a right to do just that.

All of this said, the bottom line is that the photographer was unwise to post photos of a major, world event, if his eventual goal was to profit from them.

Apr 28 10 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:

Know why Twitter is not pursing this with AFP? Because AFP is a news organization, and they were reporting news. Twitter has lawyers who know the law.

That’s like trying to sue CNN or FoxNews for showing pictures of a MySpace profile of a girl who committed suicide or w/e that came out recently.

If it's news reporting, it falls under the Fair Use act. Trying to sue a news organization for pictures you upload to a social website is idiotic beyond comprehension.

This is not a case of a photographer's rights being violated, it's a case of an imbecile not understanding the laws but trying to take advantage of the situation to make a quick buck.

News reporting is not theft. I'm surprised AFP stopped using his photos after he asked them to stop int he first place. a Sign of good gesture, not of requirement.

I am glad he is being countersued. I'll be damned if anyone tries to limit people's rights to have access to Associated  Free Press.

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

This is SO not correct.  Yet another example of why not to take your legal advice from MM. 

You must also think that the Washington Post also can publish verbatim a New York Times article and claim there's no copyright violation because it's all about news and therefore is fair use.

Apr 28 10 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:

it does not?

Please explain why you feel that the following three points do not meet this situation:

1. news report
2. in a newsreel or broadcast
3. work located in the scene of an event being reported

Seems pretty clear cut to me, but I am curious as to why you think this issue doesn’t fall under any of these categories. Now it's me, trying to understand you. First you say you weren’t sure about the law, now you say you understand the law but lay claim that this situation doesn’t meet the criteria.

You are still focusing on ONE of the requirements, that you said it does not meet. I agree. What you don't understand is that there are OTHER requirements that it does meet. You also don't understand that no case needs to meet ALL of them, just one of them. You are still focusing on incidental and fortuitous.

You might as well say, "well, there was no teacher making a lesson plan on this, so this doesnt count under Fair use".

You are a fascinating person. I will let another step in (if they wish) to explain this to you. I cant do more than insitst that you read the link that was provided to you. If you don't, theres no point in continuing this discussion.

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

I side with Jake on this.  There's no way that this meets ANY of the fair use tests.

On the other hand, if someone were reporting on a photojournalism convention and there was a display at the convention of this photographer's wonderful picture up on the wall and a newspaper reporter took a picture of some luminary at the convention and the famous picture just happened to appear in the background and a newspaper happened to publish the picture from that convention, THAT would be fair use of the famous photograph.  Stealing someone else's work doesn't become fair use just because it gets published in a news article.

On yet another hand, if a newspaper steals and publishes a photographer's picture, and another newspaper reports on the litigation over the violation of the photographer's rights and in the course of that reportage publishes a copy of the picture at issue, THAT (the publication by the second newspaper) also would be fair use.  The original publication by the first (thieving) newspaper would NOT be fair use.

While there are lots of legitimate questions and uncertainties in the fair use doctrine, this really isn't very hard to apply to the case that started this discussion.

Apr 28 10 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Fix

Englewood, Colorado, US

Luminos wrote:

It would be very good for you to do this.

I spent ten years as a news photographer - on staff, free lance, and as an editor.

I can assure you, that unless those who publish the photo had clear rights to do so, they are not protected under "fair use".   In fact, copyright specifically protects the photographer in exactly this use.

Apr 28 10 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ricardo Sevilla 2

Miami, Florida, US

So I spoke with one of the Attorneys regarding this issue. Unfortunately the main attorney that I wanted to speak with wasnt available today. Without looking into the details, he just told me the following.

"This situation is in a very grey area of the law. To me, it seems that this photographer MIGHT get something, but I bet it's not a lot. Not enough to cover his own attorney fees atleast. I would have to analyze the situation and research past rulings regarding similar cases. Fair Use is too broad and a ruling can fall on either party.

I think whoever has more money can win this case. So i'd bet on AFP winning".

Now, I do have lunch tomm with the main attorney I wanted to talk to...the expert I could say. I'll update tomm.

-RS
www.ricardosevilla.com

Apr 28 10 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:
"I think whoever has more money can win this case. So i'd bet on AFP winning".

I rest my case. (Pun intended)

Apr 28 10 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

DMHolman

Lynnwood, Washington, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
Let me try this again. According to the TOS, if you post pics on the Twitter site, Twitter acquires a license to use the photos. It also acquires a right to sub-license the photos. When those photos happen to be of a very newsworthy event, the right to sub-license has value.

This is not true simply because you can not upload photos to Twitter.  Twitter has no mechanism for uploading and displaying images.  The photos were uploaded to Twitpic; which is not owned by or partnered with Twitter. Only a link to the photos was placed on Twitter.  The Twitter TOS can not possibly cover content that is not on their site.

Looking at it another way, imagine that you Twitter "Hey .. I just uploaded some new portfolio images on Model Mayhem.  Go take a look!"  with a link to your port here and AFP followed the link, downloaded your entire portfolio and began distributing them claiming Twitter TOS.  Doesn't hold water.

-=>D

Apr 28 10 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

Then the next step in the chain is to look at the TOS for Twitpic and what rights the photog may have given away, by posting the photos there. What doesn't change, regardless of the site involved, is that AFP "lifted" the pics, without permission and that the use doesn't qualify as "fair use."

As to who will fight who, or not, its all a matter of choice and dollars. My opinion remains the same that the dollars will have more to do with the eventual outcome, than anything else.

Apr 29 10 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
You also fail to understand

you are basically failing at everything and need to stop.
twitter's rights STOP at anything beyond the actual text that is used in the tweet.
twitpic only retains the right to sublicense to affiliated sites.

the photographer retains copyright (quite literally, the RIGHT TO COPY) to his photos in both of these cases. AFP made unauthorized copies, thus violating the photographer's rights.

I strongly suggest you a) learn about what exactly twitter is and b) school yourself on what copyright actually means BEFORE you go mouthing off complete falsities in "public".

Apr 29 10 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Carter Hill

Detroit, Michigan, US

lightonpixels wrote:

That's my point.  Twitter's TOS offers no protection to the photographer.  If anyone has a potential beef with AFP, it's Twitter.  Morel has no legal standing to initiate action.

I think I may not agree with either of you. The TOS as posted above indicates that the individual posting the images retains his full rights but then goes on to grant itself a license and the right to sublicense. In this case, the only true entity with the authority to sue for violation of copyright is the owner of the copyright, since AFP obtained neither license of sublicense from the only two entities with the authority to grant such license.

The case here seems not to be about licensing but use of aggressive tactics and possible defamation. The photographer is right to pursue his rights. It is his method that has proven problematic.

Apr 29 10 11:28 am Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:

From another article:
"Hoffman (Morel's lawyer) writes that Morel found himself working under difficult conditions after the earthquake and trying to find a way to transmit his photos. The manager of the hotel where he was staying helped him set up a Twitter account. She continues: 'Mr. Morel had no prior experience
with Twitter, the social networking site and did not read the Terms of Service.”

Also, Twitter's TOS gives them the right to license, but Twitter did not license the pics to AFP, rather AFP just took them and then sold them to clients around the world.

If these facts are correct, then the photographer has a right to go after the pirate, since the pirate didn't get a license from anyone. However, anyone want to guess whether the shooter further screwed up, by not registering copyright?

Apr 29 10 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Carter Hill wrote:
I think I may not agree with either of you. [....] In this case, the only true entity with the authority to sue for violation of copyright is the owner of the copyright

wait, isn't that what I've been saying? (this would be the photographer)

Carter Hill wrote:
The case here seems not to be about licensing but use of aggressive tactics and possible defamation. The photographer is right to pursue his rights. It is his method that has proven problematic.

well, it seems like AFP doesn't have a leg to stand on, and is inventing a charge with which to bully the photographer.
not having more knowledge about the case, this is all speculation on my part, but it reeks of "we screwed up, but our lawyers are gonna get ya!"

glamour pics wrote:
If these facts are correct, then the photographer has a right to go after the pirate, since the pirate didn't get a license from anyone. However, anyone want to guess whether the shooter further screwed up, by not registering copyright?

Interesting point, and considering he was waist-deep in rubble at the time, I'd not be entirely surprised if he did register. that's hardly a screwup; more like a product of the circumstances, and prior registration is NOT a requirement for him to receive damages, though it may affect the judgment.

It is necessary for him to register prior to seeking damages, though he may not be able to obtain statutory damages (isn't the figure something like $10k per image?).
I believe there's a short grace period after the infringing publication, during which you can register and still seek statutory damages, but I don't have a citation in front of me. anyone want to chime in (with a citation)?

Ricardo Sevilla 2 wrote:
"[...]To me, it seems that this photographer MIGHT get something, but I bet it's not a lot. Not enough to cover his own attorney fees atleast.[...]"

perhaps this could be due to a lack of registration? copyright law is pretty clear on statutory damages given proper registration (though i admit to only an armchair familiarity with copyright cases).

Apr 29 10 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

A colleague said, and I'll clarify following:

Interesting point, and considering he was waist-deep in rubble at the time, I'd not be entirely surprised if he did register. that's hardly a screwup; more like a product of the circumstances, and prior registration is NOT a requirement for him to receive damages, though it may affect the judgment.

It is necessary for him to register prior to seeking damages, though he may not be able to obtain statutory damages (isn't the figure something like $10k per image?).
I believe there's a short grace period after the infringing publication, during which you can register and still seek statutory damages, but I don't have a citation in front of me. anyone want to chime in (with a citation)?

======
I clarify:
Timely registration is required to qualify for the statutory damages (up to $ 150,000 / image) and usually to get attorneys fees. And the brief period is following PUBLICATION, not following the infringement. It's a 3-month window.

Without the timely registration, it's usually impossible to get a lawyer to take the case on contingency, and usually impossible to make the case worth doing.

Apr 29 10 12:48 pm Link