Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Women on their knees.

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Tired of shooting/seeing photos of models on their knees (usually on a seashore)?

It feels like a WAY overdone, degrading, photographic cliché.

I never see photos of women (or men) on their knees ... on a sidewalk, in jeans, in an elegant dress, (add the arched back and thumb sucking for a REALLY creative plus).

JEESH! Am I the only one who feels this way?

Jun 17 10 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

Then don't look.

Simple solution.

Jun 17 10 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

I hate pictures of feet.... but I have better things to do that start a thread on it. hmm

Jun 17 10 04:36 pm Link

Model

Klarrissa

Los Angeles, California, US

LOL there will always be something on here someone else hates seeing.
I don't really mind the on the knees pose...but if I go to a photographers port and a majority of his photos have that pose it begins to get annoying and a turn off. But it is a typical glamour pose, so if you shoot glamour, it's hard to avoid it.

Jun 17 10 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Fred Gerhart wrote:
Then don't look.

Simple solution.

Clevvvver response. Well thought out.

Jun 17 10 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

BODYSHOP FEETURES

Clearwater, Florida, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
I hate pictures of feet.... but I have better things to do that start a thread on it. hmm

Hey Rebel...............did you even read the entire OP post................ohhhhhhhhhhhhh  better not look at my port ;-)

Jun 17 10 04:39 pm Link

Model

Crimson Butterfly

Willmar, Minnesota, US

Cliched? - Maybe
Degrading- No

Jun 17 10 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Blakberi Photography

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

255 West wrote:

Clevvvver response. Well thought out.

I am sure it was as well considered and clever as your thread smile

Jun 17 10 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Rebel Photo wrote:

But not better things to do than to respond to the thread?

Jun 17 10 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

BODYSHOP  FEETURES wrote:

Hey Rebel...............did you even read the entire OP post................ohhhhhhhhhhhhh  better not look at my port ;-)

too late ..now I need therapy! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Jun 17 10 04:44 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Sid Rodriguez

Wilmington, Delaware, US

255 West wrote:
Tired of shooting/seeing photos of models on their knees (usually on a seashore)?

I never see photos of women (or men) on their knees ... on a sidewalk, in jeans, in an elegant dress, (add the arched back and thumb sucking for a REALLY creative plus).

Give them what they want... or make something so new that they didnt know that they wanted that instead...

Jun 17 10 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

255 West wrote:
Am I the only one who feels this way?

Maybe.

Jun 17 10 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

255 West wrote:

you started this with a lame rant.  what do you expect?
if you have better things then I suggest you go do them. if not...stick around and find millions of people respectfully and disrespectfully calling you on it.

and hey, who knows? maybe one or two will agree with you and out of them one will think the rant is justified? ya nevah knowz....

Jun 17 10 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Visions

Cape Coral, Florida, US

There are worse things to worry about.

Jun 17 10 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

255 West wrote:

thats right. If I started it, I'd be resigned to follow thru...and listen to all the wise cracks it generated. I prefer to remain in the gallery and make fun of silly threads.

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Jun 17 10 04:47 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

255 West wrote:

I have 5 photos in my ports on my knees. That means both knees. I have a couple on one knee, but I didn't count those. Of those five:

One is in jeans: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17706538 (and my butt crack looks awesome)
One is in a kimono (which counts as elegant dress, IMO): https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17304452
One is an an elegant dress in the grass (with a sword that adds +5 something): https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/15273998
And only two are of the sexy-ish variety: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17707557 and https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16433955 (maybe 18+ for my bum)

Jun 17 10 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Angel Afterlife

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Personally I like having girls on their knees in front of me

Jun 17 10 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Wow, you may have just given me a way to salvage my photography hobby.  Since moving to my new place I've been saddled with a garage studio that's barely 7 feet floor to ceiling, trim off height for paper rollers, etc, and I've been scouring the interwebs for midget models.

Models on their knees.

GENIUS!

Jun 17 10 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

So far, I haven't read any real responses other than people sarcastically saying it's a non-issue.

My deeper point that no one seems to see is of visual clichés. Is there no creativity and thinking of doing something unique, fresh, eye-catching ... something to make the viewer exclaim, "WOW! That's great!", instead of "I can hire a thousand people to do this same shot. What else you got? NEXT!"

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Degrading?

Um, ok.

Model

Breann Rambo

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If it wasn't selling, people wouldn't be doing it I suppose... We all like our own thing...

Anyway, I see nice pictures of girls on their knees all over...

Here is one of me on one knee in a garage.

https://modelmayhm-5.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100116/23/4b52c30d024a4_m.jpg

Here are more... smile

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090608/17/4a2dad18c88fd_m.jpg

https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090322/01/49c5f1b2bc4f7_m.jpg

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090612/10/4a3291235ba65_m.jpg

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091001/14/4ac51ee93ea4d_m.jpg

Here is one on the knees that is on the beach...

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091001/14/4ac51ee93ea4d_m.jpg

Jun 17 10 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Fauxtographer  wrote:

Models on their knees.

GENIUS!

Okay, fair enough, I withdraw this part of my thread. Models on their knees IS genius. big_smile

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

255 West wrote:
So far, I haven't read any real responses other than people sarcastically saying it's a non-issue.

My deeper point that no one seems to see is of visual clichés. Is there no creativity and thinking of doing something unique, fresh, eye-catching ... something to make the viewer exclaim, "WOW! That's great!", instead of "I can hire a thousand people to do this same shot. What else you got? NEXT!"

I don't see how a model on her knees is a visual cliche... train tracks are cliche, caution tape is cliche, toilet shots are cliche.

And yet a good team can make any of those things awesome.

Photographer

Blakberi Photography

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

255 West wrote:

Why don't you start?  I am sure others will follow your example when you do!

I mean, we might as well stop taking photos of models altogerther... maybe leave the lens cap on... I dunno.  Then again, I think it has been done before.

Cliché is only something you haven't tried to do because you can't see how to refresh it.  Only a handful of photographers can truly claim to have something "unique, fresh, eye-catching" in their portfolios.  Most of the time I just try to keep my model in focus and well lit (not that I always succeed...) 

After that maybe I will try "unique, fresh, eye-catching"...

Jun 17 10 04:58 pm Link

Model

Joanna Peretyatko

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

255 West wrote:

your the one hating, why are you trying to be so rude to others.
just because their stating their oppinion to this stupid thread.
i LOVE shoots on their knees. wink

Jun 17 10 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

255 West wrote:

Okay, fair enough, I withdraw this part of my thread. Models on their knees IS genius. big_smile

Your examples are NOT cliché shots. Good work; seriously. At least SOMEONE is trying.

Jun 17 10 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

255 West wrote:

Oh... I KNOW!!!

It's like girls with guitars.  Or images with knives in them.  Or faux HDR shots.  Or nude yoga masquerading as art.  Or wide angle fashion shots. 

I'm SO sick of seeing all that crap.

/snark

Jun 17 10 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Vinyl

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

What about on the knees, nekkid, face on the floor, hands behind the back in a cold and bloody dark studio?

18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17852015

Jun 17 10 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Blakberi Photography wrote:
[ .... ] quote extract

Only a handful of photographers can truly claim to have something "unique, fresh, eye-catching" in their portfolios.  Most of the time I just try to keep my model in focus  [...].

Creative copout. (Sorry.)
Are you a photographer or a camera operator?

Jun 17 10 05:06 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Fauxtographer  wrote:
Wow, you may have just given me a way to salvage my photography hobby.  Since moving to my new place I've been saddled with a garage studio that's barely 7 feet floor to ceiling, trim off height for paper rollers, etc, and I've been scouring the interwebs for midget models.

Models on their knees.

GENIUS!

Or you can just work with short models... smile

Jun 17 10 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Why is it degrading?

I've spent most of my career on my knees. And that's not even innuendo.

On-the-knees sea shore posing is not meant to illicit thoughts of blow jobs, you know. The model needs to be close to the surf without being way out to sea, and kneeling is more attractive than sitting because it engages muscles and prevents squishing. It's actually a very practical pose. If you're offended by it, it's probably a connection YOU'RE making to the pose, not the pose itself.

As to the pose in other uses, I've seen a lot of on-the-knees posing in studio glamor, mostly with swimsuit and lingerie, but little on other locations, likely because kneeling on sidewalk and such can be really uncomfortable!

I'm not sure a single element of a pose can be cliche. Is leaning against a wall cliche? Are s-curves in figure nudes cliche? And gawd, those models who make eye contact with the camera... SOOOO done.

From my own portfolio, I have these kneeling poses, none of which seem particularly... randy.

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091225/15/4b35492228712_m.jpg
Topless
Topless
Nude

Jun 17 10 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

255 West wrote:

Of course you're not. All of us who have no access to beaches are annoyed, too.

But what's really annoying is pictures of dogs with their tongues hanging out on a modeling site.

Jun 17 10 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Digital Vinyl wrote:
What about on the knees, nekkid, face on the floor, hands behind the back in a cold and bloody dark studio?

18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17852015

I looked at the shot. I like it. A creative "on the knees" shot. Fabulous lighting. This is by no means a cliché image.

Jun 17 10 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jouissance Images

Bloomington, Minnesota, US

255 West wrote:

No more erotic position a woman can assume.  Used for one purpose only.

Model

Taylor M Madigan

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Brett Michael Nelson wrote:

LOL I saw this and it made me howl.

Doesn't really bother me.

Model

Goodbye4

Brett Michael Nelson wrote:

You and me both.

Jun 17 10 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

DHV Images wrote:

No more erotic position a woman can assume.  Used for one purpose only.

Prayer?

Jun 17 10 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Norman Gould

North Bend, Oregon, US

Well are you talking on hands and knees with arched back and fish face.
Woof, woof.

It is kind of funny I try to lighten the mood for new at modeling women .  So in explaing the poses I would like not to see... I demonstrated that pose, by my own example to a newbie.
As a way of showing I do not want silly sexualized images.
It breaks the ice nicely.
But then I really am into shooting Art, not cheesecake.. 
Others can do what they want.

Jun 17 10 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Beats the hell out of them sitting on a toilet seat.

Jun 17 10 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

255 West wrote:

Here's a serious answer, then. There are certain poses and types of shots that almost always work, in many settings, with different figures. This is one of those, which is why you see it everywhere from GWC's books to Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. It is also a pose that works in a horizontal format. As far as variety ... well, you can use different lighting or add accessories, etc.

Jun 17 10 05:13 pm Link