This thread was locked on 2010-07-12 15:00:45
Forums > General Industry > Missing Houston area model

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Alisyn Carliene wrote:
dont have FB or twitter but her website is the one that should be updated most. it was announced she was found on the 14th and then not until the 22nd it says, still searching.

True, the blog went silent for a week.

But Facebook, where all the cool peeps hang out these days (lol) had updates on the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th, all about the same set of leads that apparently didn't pan out.

i would just think the official site would be updated more than facebook.

I update Twitter a few times a day, Facebook daily, I rewrite my MM profile once every few weeks just for fun, but I rarely remember to even look at my official site... people just don't bookmark-and-visit anymore, the social web has taken over. Not that unusual for the ol' dub-dub-dot-com to be on the back burner.

Jul 02 10 11:16 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Ummm.... her facebook hardly has anything to do with her disappearance. It's updtes are "Here are some of Mel's modeling pics" and "here is some art she has done" "read her blog" and "Here she is interviewing so and so"

I think that is confusing to people too. Maybe focus more on the details and trying to find her than showing us what her talents are.

Jul 02 10 11:49 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

Mischa M wrote:
Ummm.... her facebook hardly has anything to do with her disappearance. It's updtes are "Here are some of Mel's modeling pics" and "here is some art she has done" "read her blog" and "Here she is interviewing so and so"

I think that is confusing to people too. Maybe focus more on the details and trying to find her than showing us what her talents are.

I pointed that out.. it has nothing but stuff about her and what she likes on her website's latest update too..

Jul 02 10 11:51 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

wow this post is a headache!

By what I read I thought "I hope I'm never lost and people were saying so many mean things! I'd rather they get out there and FIND ME!" But the more I read I became curious and it's easy to find out about missing people in 2 seconds so this is what I found.

There is no one listed by the name of Melanie as missing with the Houston Chronicle. I chose the chronicle as they cover the whole state.
http://search.chron.com/chronicle/archiveSearch.do

She is not on the Houston Police Departments missing persons data base and if she was my friend or family member I'd make sure she was on every legit list out there so she could be found.
http://www.houstontx.gov/police/missing.htm

What is her NCIC#?
(NCIC is the National Crime Information Center and all missing persons are listed with them and issued a #)

If someone cares about this person it's very easy to get up-to-date information. Call the bureau below.

Texas Department of Public Safety
Special Crimes Services
Missing Persons Clearinghouse
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0422
Phone: 1-512-424-5074
Toll Free: 1-800-346-3243 (in-state only)
Fax: 1-512-424-2885
Email: [email protected]
Street Address:
6100 Guadalupe, Building E
Austin, TX 78752

Like I said if it was my friend I'd be doing EVERYTHING I could to find her starting with making sure she was on lists with people that SHOULD be finding her and not MM, twitter or some little web page anyone can make up, but sources that can make a difference.

BUT

If this is all a hoax I pity the couple people on here (or same person) starting this as you have to be a very lonely person, seek professional help.

Jul 03 10 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

For the record I can't speak for anyone else, but I was never trolling, never trying to 'play Matlock' or anything else, I was, and I still am just trying to get at the truth.

Remember a few years ago when an MM model faked her own disappearance on MySpace for attention? And most of us can't count the number of times a model was supposedly missing here on MM only to find out later that it was all just echo-chamber gossip.

If this girl is indeed missing, most of us are more than willing to help. But one, we have to know that it's true, and two, we need a straight set of facts. The website of this Brandon Starkweather(?) guy who is supposed to be the co-updater of the FB page (along with the OP) has a blog where still the last entry says she was found (You'd think someone that close to the search would have corrected his own blog by now). The OP's said she was found and then didn't say she was still missing until a week later. Here on MM it's been closer to three weeks. Even the official site, Melanie is Missing dot com says she was found and then says she's still missing more than a week later. Did nobody know she wasn't really found for more than a week.

Where are the news stories, the police reports, etc. etc.?
(Thank you Ashley - above for posting link to Houston's missing persons database)
It just seems like things don't add up - and every time someone pulls one of these stunts for publicity, it makes it all that much worse for those who really are missing. So it's a good thing that people view these type threads with a healthy dose of skepticism. It's a good thing that people are asking questions - because that is how to get at the truth, the facts, and that's how missing people are found.

Again to reiterate, before I or anyone else gets accused of trolling or whatnot. I am deeply saddened, and more than willing to help out if this person is indeed missing. (And before anyone says call the Houston Police - I can't do that - I am in a foreign country and have no phone here - but I would encourage someone to do that and come back and post what they say.) Now, all we need is confirmation of the facts, and following that a course of action as to what we can do.

Jul 03 10 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

AshleyDanielle wrote:
...She is not on the Houston Police Departments missing persons data base and if she was my friend or family member I'd make sure she was on every legit list out there so she could be found.
http://www.houstontx.gov/police/missing.htm ...

FWIW - I'm not sure that her absence from this list means anything.  Notice that the newest case of a missing person on the list is someone who was last seen on January 15, 2004 - which is 6-1/2 years ago.

It's hard to believe there have been absolutely NO persons missing and not found in a city the size of Houston for 6-1/2 years.  I'm wondering if this particular webpage is maintained at all (or maybe it's only reserved for old cases, though I cannot find where it says anything like that).

LaRana - I think I understand what you're saying about not giving out certain personal information concerning your friend...but with as much time as has passed, you might want to consider that normal rules that needed to be respected in the beginning may need to be broken now.

Unless you think that there is a pretty good chance that she herself really doesn't want to be found - you need to consider disclosing any information that will help people believe that this story is real.  Getting all indignant about everyone becoming skeptical and not understanding is not going to help find her.

If you care about her as you say you do - please try to see this from the perspective of those of us who are just getting confused by all the seemingly conflicting and vague information we're seeing here.  I'm sure that she and her family wouldn't mind being embarrassed by some of the facts if disclosing them will help find her alive.

Please think about it...

Jul 03 10 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Wow this is conflicting and confusing.....what the hell.

Jul 03 10 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
Wow this is conflicting and confusing.....what the hell.

Yeah.

This thread needs to be locked unless and until the OP can supply MM with some clear answers about what is going on. They seem to want help but then won't reveal enough information to actually let members BE any help.

At this point, it could be anything from a deliberate hoax to a woman running away to her being mentally ill to abducted to dead.

Jul 03 10 08:15 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

LaRana wrote:

I've called the cops before when I was in trouble. Several times - because of assault and robberies. They say the same thing... 'there's nothing we can do."

It's not because of individual incompetencies. It's because they keep cutting the funding, have to fire people, and try to run a department that's getting more and more calls everyday with less money.

And so yeah - they let a lot of people down. That's life in the big city for you...

that's absolutely the biggest line of BS I've ever seen on here. If YOU plan on any sense of reality associated with this thread...YOU need some sort of credibility and your comment above is absolute malarky. I've lived in Houston and spend time in ALL of Texas's biggest cities weekly. Their polices forces, while understaffed, are completely capable of handling activities such as you describe professionally and they will NOT tell you "there's nothing we can do" unless you're reporting BS incidents. (and then I hope they'd cite you for false reports)

Jul 03 10 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Jul 03 10 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Brian Baybo wrote:
Found this an interesting read

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0058.htm

EDIT

And this... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/index.htm

I noticed this - seems someone from the immediate family has to file this:

The parent, spouse, or guardian must contact a law enforcement agency and file a missing person report. The missing person must be entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) files by the law enforcement agency.

I also noticed no one one is in that database by either name - Munoz or Vega. Seems as though this would be a good thing to get listed on.

Jul 03 10 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fotosbymike

Sarasota, Florida, US

I can't believe this scam is still going on.

To the OP:

What you're doing is not funny and very twisted!!

Whatever your reason, it is NOT justified!! Seek help!!

Jul 03 10 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Colorblinded

Rochester, New York, US

Oh no, I thought it got wrapped up too with the previous thread.  This is terrible!

Jul 03 10 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

I'm very curious about this - posted in mid June on the Facebook page:

The reporters at Channel 2 News (Houston) have really come through - they found out what happened. We expect Melanie to be home in approximately in 3 days and in the meantime everyone can relax.

What did they find out?

Jul 03 10 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
I'm very curious about this - posted in mid June on the Facebook page:

The reporters at Channel 2 News (Houston) have really come through - they found out what happened. We expect Melanie to be home in approximately in 3 days and in the meantime everyone can relax.

What did they find out?

Maybe somebody local needs to call Channel 2? Point them to this thread for comment?

Jul 03 10 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Just a curiosity question .... at one point she was found and I have reason to believe because of a PM, that she had been spoken with. Maybe I misunderstood, I don't know.

So, is she known to be alive and well, but just not wanting to go home or be in touch with friends/family, or is it feared that something bad has happened to her?

If she is just hiding out, she's an adult and gets to to do that. Its hard on those who love her, but it is what it is. On the other hand, if she is feared to be in a bad situation, I'm sure folks here would still be willing to do whatever they can to help.

Jul 03 10 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Brian Baybo wrote:
Found this an interesting read

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0058.htm

EDIT

And this... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/index.htm

I cross referenced case #HC10-80798 with the above sites. No match found...

Perhaps we could get one of the Moderators that's located in the US to enquire with the HPD??? There seems to be no such case #

Jul 03 10 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Brian Baybo wrote:
I cross referenced case #HC10-80798 with the above sites. No match found...

Perhaps we could get one of the Moderators that's located in the US to enquire with the HPD??? There seems to be no such case #

From your first link:

FILING A MISSING PERSON REPORT

Under Texas law, people may report missing persons to an authorized local law enforcement officer in person, by telephone, or on a report form (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 004). There is no required waiting period to make the reports. The Department of Public Safety issues a standard report form, which is available at its website.

Once a local law enforcement agency receives a report, it must begin its investigation with due diligence. However, if the person is a child in danger, or an adult suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia, it must begin its investigation immediately (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 009(a)(1)). The agency must enter all available identifying information into the National Crime Information Center database immediately. This includes dental records, fingerprints, and other physical characteristics (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 009(a)(3)). The agency must supplement the original entry with any additional information it receives at a later date (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 009(b)). For example, if during the investigation the police identify and obtain a warrant for a suspect, they must immediately enter that information into the database (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 009(d)).

The agency also must enter all of the information described above (including supplemental reports) into the Texas Missing Person's Clearinghouse (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 009(a)(3)). The clearinghouse is the state's central repository of information on missing persons. The clearinghouse also assists police in missing persons investigations (in response to local requests), cooperates with other law enforcement agencies, and tries to assure that its information is complete and accurate. It has established an intrastate system for communicating information on missing persons (Tex. Code Ann. § 63. 003).

I guess it was NEVER reported to the police or they (the police) would have followed the law.

Jul 03 10 08:59 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

hmmmm...

Jul 03 10 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

This needs to be dealt with, one way or another. I have an ability to do that, and will know on Tuesday, whether this is a hoax or if it is for real. I am dealing with an official agency and I will advise the Mods as soon as I know, the information has been given to me.

In the mean time, I suggest that everyone chill.

Jul 03 10 09:59 pm Link

Model

Sombra

Dallas, Texas, US

MISSING PERSONS CASE # HC10-80798 - Deputy Marshall (4P8S)

You can call the Harris County Sheriff's Dept (713-755-7427) and reference the above case number to verify information.

Facebook group: http://tinyurl.com/melvegaismissing

(we don't update this as much: twitter: http://www.twitter.com/wemissmel)

Updated missing persons flier:
http://www.alarana.net/MelanieMunozMissing.jpg

And of course: MelanieIsMissing.com

Jul 03 10 10:00 pm Link

Model

Sombra

Dallas, Texas, US

Storm Surge Photography wrote:

I sit corrected.

There is still a blog post on her myspace from 6/15, after she was 'found'. It is private and I cant read it, but it is what it is.

6/15....... 2009, dear. 2009.

Jul 03 10 10:05 pm Link

Model

Sombra

Dallas, Texas, US

Also - that HC stands for Harris County.

If you are trying to verify information you need to call Harris County - not Houston.

For those not familiar with the area: Houston is in Harris County.

Harris County is larger than the city borders of Houston.

HC = Harris County

HPD = Houston Police Dept.

Jul 03 10 10:08 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I only read page one.... shit is fucked up in this heezhie.

Jul 03 10 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Galand

BARKHAMSTED, Connecticut, US

LaRana....just for your information, I DID check with Harris County SD, at the number you posted..They DID confirm your information.

Perhaps the Nay sayers and haters who have been posting on this thread should do the same, but then again, it would spoil their negative fun.

Jul 03 10 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Galand

P.S. MerrillMedia, I also have the ability to check on the facts, and did.

Jul 03 10 10:29 pm Link

Model

Kymberly Jane

Los Angeles, California, US

so is the chick found or not?

so there IS a case file..so no scam..BUT where is the girl..and the explanation of where she was?

Jul 03 10 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Galand

Kymberly, The only thing that they would confirm to me was the fact that there is a file, and it is still open. Leads me to believe she has not been found.

Jul 03 10 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lucas Chapman

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Jim Galand wrote:
Kymberly, The only thing that they would confirm to me was the fact that there is a file, and it is still open. Leads me to believe she has not been found.

That "file" can be anything.. including active arrest warrants.  Maybe the subject is on the run from the law???

Jul 03 10 10:47 pm Link

Model

Kymberly Jane

Los Angeles, California, US

whatta shame~

Jul 03 10 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Galand

That "file" can be anything.. including active arrest warrants.  Maybe the subject is on the run from the law???

Its No wonder that there are people who are afraid to post on the forums. MAYBE you need to check for yourself before making rediculous statements.

Jul 03 10 10:51 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

Jim Galand wrote:
LaRana....just for your information, I DID check with Harris County SD, at the number you posted..They DID confirm your information.

Perhaps the Nay sayers and haters who have been posting on this thread should do the same, but then again, it would spoil their negative fun.

No negative fun. That's all I needed to shut up. It just wasn't stacking up so thanks for the case #. I hope she is found soon.

Jul 03 10 10:53 pm Link

Model

Sombra

Dallas, Texas, US

The case number was available from the get go on the links provided, and has always been on the flier and on the websites.

Happy 4th of July.

Jul 04 10 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ervin Katai Photography

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

LaRana wrote:
The case number was available from the get go on the links provided, and has always been on the flier and on the websites.

Happy 4th of July.

LaRana explain... who is lying to us.... YOU or your MUM about your mum talked to her?
You or your mum? which one of you two?...
of course you can just ignore this question... in that case i think...
eiher way i hope she will show up safe and sound...

Jul 05 10 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Brian Baybo wrote:
I thought this was resolved, but that's what I get for thinking. I suspect that she just doesn't want to be found. Best friends don't always know any better...

I've known a few models with personal issues and quite a few others who were "mysterious", so I can understand this situation.

Jul 05 10 08:13 am Link

Model

Sombra

Dallas, Texas, US

We've got really great, fantastic, amazing, wonderful news...

I just talked to Mel!!

She went through a really rough time, and was in some bad spots that she wasn't about to get out of, ... and some of the half truths and things that people were reporting to us about her were pretty crazy - we couldn't share some of it in case it put her life in danger but... wow, what a relief!

This went on for more than a month and some of the tips we got were the sorts of things nightmares were made of! We're so lucky that she is OK!

She is going to go stay with friends for awhile out of town to recover from the ordeal.

To everyone who has offered your prayers, friendship, and help... thank you. It really meant a lot to have people at our backs. (When I say we and our I mean her parents, her friends, her co-workers, roommates etc that were the core group of people looking for her.)

To everyone who offered your hatred and your foul accusations - I hope someday you realize how pointlessly hurtful, terrible, and mean-spirited it is to say some of the things you said and I hope for other's sakes you never act like that again. I also hope you never have to experience something like this yourselves.

I am lucky, my family is lucky, because our dear friend is back and she will recover from this.  That's really the only thing that is important here.

After she gets a chance to rest and return to good health we'll be posting follow-ups etc through facebook and MelanieIsMissing.com.  But in the meantime, on behalf of her parents and friends who aren't on model mayhem, thank you for distributing the fliers and doing what you could, thank you for your prayers.

Jul 09 10 03:36 pm Link

Model

Dane Halo

San Francisco, California, US

Hm.  I hope this isn't another "We talked to her and she has some explaining to do" deal.

I hope she's actually been found.

Jul 09 10 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotosbymike

Sarasota, Florida, US

LaRana

Sorry but you cried "wolf" too many times. Your need for attention is outweighing your logic. None of it makes sense and the more you post, the worse it gets.

I call "bullshit" on all of your "mysterious" explanations that do nothing to clear up what really happened. Her life was in danger?!! Really?!!

I make a pretty good living at doing resesarch and I couldn't find anything to corroborate your story.

Seriously, seek help. What you're doing here is very sick and twisted.

Jul 09 10 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Concept Black Polaroids

Columbus, Ohio, US

LaRana wrote:
We've got really great, fantastic, amazing, wonderful news...

I just talked to Mel!!

She went through a really rough time, and was in some bad spots that she wasn't about to get out of, ... and some of the half truths and things that people were reporting to us about her were pretty crazy - we couldn't share some of it in case it put her life in danger but... wow, what a relief!

This went on for more than a month and some of the tips we got were the sorts of things nightmares were made of! We're so lucky that she is OK!

She is going to go stay with friends for awhile out of town to recover from the ordeal.

To everyone who has offered your prayers, friendship, and help... thank you. It really meant a lot to have people at our backs. (When I say we and our I mean her parents, her friends, her co-workers, roommates etc that were the core group of people looking for her.)

To everyone who offered your hatred and your foul accusations - I hope someday you realize how pointlessly hurtful, terrible, and mean-spirited it is to say some of the things you said and I hope for other's sakes you never act like that again. I also hope you never have to experience something like this yourselves.

I am lucky, my family is lucky, because our dear friend is back and she will recover from this.  That's really the only thing that is important here.

After she gets a chance to rest and return to good health we'll be posting follow-ups etc through facebook and MelanieIsMissing.com.  But in the meantime, on behalf of her parents and friends who aren't on model mayhem, thank you for distributing the fliers and doing what you could, thank you for your prayers.

So...is she actually found or in 3 weeks will we hear, oops, "oops, I was dunk"?
But seriously, I'm starting to think that she wasn't missing, that you seem a bit overbearing and didn't know what all she was going through.

Jul 09 10 04:00 pm Link

Model

j121

Port Nelson, Rum Cay, Bahamas

Sorry* was* not is.

Tame Baby Parrots wrote:
Obviously, her family didn't feel at the time it was just a lead.

Unfortunately, this hasn't turned out cut and dry and simple like it does on TV.

Don't you think her family feels the same way?

My aunt was murdered and the news came out with a completely different story about it even after the husband confessed he strangled her. Never fully trust what media says. She is still missing if you really follow the story well ...
I'll post a link for her as well. The more people put there that know, the better smile

Jul 09 10 04:06 pm Link