Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUA Hygiene Horror Stories

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Jan 06 08 06:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmmaBazan

Brooklyn, New York, US

I noticed that all the makeup artist that I have assisted that are repped, do not scrape out products. They double dip their brushes straight into tubes of gloss, eyeliner, you name it. I was taken back by this because I was taught not to do that, so I always scrape out my products. It almost seems common though, because all of the artist I assisted not one scraped product or used disposables. Hmmm... I wonder why this is.

Jan 06 08 06:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Gerbino

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

Jessica Elliot wrote:
When I was working at London Drugs in Richmond for a while, I saw some seriously scary stuff! O_O

One time, I was cleaning up the counter when this oriental lady came in. She headed straight for the Revlon makeup. There's the Revlon Sugar Sugar lip powder innocently sitting there, and this lady comes up and starts EATING it like it was a DipStix candy pack! O_< EW! I obviously threw out the tester. I mean, I know it tastes like sugar, but ew!

Now, our London Drugs had a drug rehab program. This lady came into the store, shot up in the bathroom, then proceeded to stumble towards the cosmetics counter. She opened a brand new Lancome skin cream tester, shoved her hand in, took out a big glob, and smeared it down her face while going "aaaaaaaaaaaahhh"! lol

Next, this other lady came in and started trying all of the testers directly on her face. Now, I mean ON HER FACE! She was putting lipstick and everything all over her face! O_o We were very lucky that a Richmond Centre Mall security officer recognized her and notified us that she has herpes and other STDs! We had to throw out ALL of our testers, because we weren't sure which ones she had used! sad

I have many more stories. LOL!

the moisturizer lady made me LOL. I bet it's funny looking back on it....

Jan 06 08 08:00 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Evil Kitty Kreations

San Antonio, Texas, US

There was a study conducted years ago that said 1 in 4 lipstick testers tested positive for Herpes. I'm always sanitary & organized with my station whether its wardrobe, hair or mua..
I'm OCD, so i even breakout ye' ole "S.M.A." for my jewelry layout so they don't touch any surfaces.

Jan 07 08 03:46 am Link

Model

Leona Anne

La Mesa, California, US

I do modeling, wardrobe and makeup. Worst thing I saw was on one of the movie sets I worked on - the main actor, who is pretty well known, has two stunt doubles. the stunt doubles wear hairpieces - one for each double. However, they never marked which one in the trailer, so these two guys were sharing headpieces...and one guy had eczema on his bald scalp. it was so frigin nasty. I worked wardrobe, so makeup and hair were right next to me.

worst thing, makeup wise, was actually the next set I worked on. It was a local independent film and I was doing special FX makeup (a sliced forehead). Some guy had actually taken my blood brush-in-cap, licked it to taste the fake blood, and put the brush back in my jar. I almost died. This guy just picked it up, licked it and put it back in...wtf. Luckily I had single servings next to me, so no worries, but I had to trash this nice lil jar of blood cause some idiot decided to lick my brush instead of grabbing a new brush, if he was so desperate to taste fake blood. yuuck.

Jan 07 08 03:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

Los Angeles, California, US

Roshar wrote:
One time a model was being so rude to me- so I spit on her face and said "Dont worry, thats how you set the makeup"

just kidding.

Although one time I was talking and accidntly spit my mint onto the models hair. That was embarssing.

OK Betch... I JUST took a sip of a nice coke classic when I was reading this & It fuckin came out my nose!! I f'n heart you!!

Jan 07 08 05:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

You guys are way too ocd about this whole "sanitary" thing...  I wash my brushes once a week & work 7 days a week... Now you are making me self conscious.... NOT!!! Just joking BUT I did have this one Bitch do my makeup & she had the f'n nerve to BLOW on my wet liquid eyeliner she had just applied to my eyes... I pulled my neck back & said " are you f'n JOKING me"??!! Not only was that bad but it smelt like she ate ass for lunch!

EWWWWWWWWWW

Jan 07 08 05:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brandy M Rich MUA

Denver, Colorado, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
It disturbs me how surprised models are when they see how neat and clean my kit is.  Thant means that they've worked with many MUAs that weren't clean.

I get comments from models all the time that my kit is “the most clean & organized” of any MUA they have ever worked with.  I just cringe inside because it should be standard, and tell the model the same thing.  One model did say once that she was surprised at how “new” all of my makeup was.  I was stumped and said “Why?” with a bewildered look on my face.  She said that she worked with a MUA that was using makeup she swore was from the 80’s!  She further told me that the MUA proudly said to her that they had gotten the entire kit from an ESTATE SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The model also mentioned that the next day she had the worst stye ever.

Vanessa Melgar MUA wrote:
Okay so this is a dumb question I know...How do you all use mascaras without double dipping?  Do you just swap out the spoolie every time you dip?

Pardon my lame question!!

Well, lol, I do have to point out that YOU called it lame.  To answer your question, you either use disposable mascara wands (spoolies) or scrape the mascara off the wand with a clean, sanitized metal spatula, place on a clean, sanitized palette and use a mascara fan brush to apply.  Your choice.

liz yu wrote:
I look for cheap lashes on www.ebay.com and www.taobao.com.  Sometimes i team up with a bunch of makeup artists and contact a b2b company on www.ec21.com that manufactures lashes and order their minimum quantity, usually few hundred pairs.  so if there are other artists and models interested in putting their money together for some cheap lashes that's a really good way to do it.  it takes everyone a while to get low on their stock and when it's time to reorder we contact people that are interested again.  it's a lash discount network hehe..  *^_^*

Thanks for the idea Liz!  I go through lashes like crazy because the model keeps the lashes I put on them.  Although, if the client wants speciality lashes then I bill them extra for them.  For tests shoots I try to tell models that if they have their own lashes they can bring them, but I tend not to use them because most of the time they are gross.  In which case, the model pays for the lashes.

Now for my own horror stories – I used to work in a high-end department store at a cosmetic counter.  One of my co-workers insisted that the reason why she doesn’t wash/clean her counter makeup brushes is because they don’t “work” good when they are clean!!!  Eeeeekkkk!  I even overheard her go so far as to tell a customer that the COSMETIC line didn’t recommend cleaning the brushes because it would “ruin” them!!  (The creator of this line has a book out called Makeup Your Mind),

Same store – never had pink eye until I worked there.  And got it twice.  I can honestly say that at the counter I worked at we both thoroughly washed our brushes every single night.   

I have to agree with the MUA that said people are just dirty in general.  It’s almost impossible to police a makeup counter from germs due to most counters are not staffed 24/7.  You don’t know what happens when you’re not there.  BUT everyday I worked I sanitized & cleaned a section or two of testers at our counter, plus others as needed.  The sections got cleaned in the same order all the time to make sure everything was getting cleaned on a regular basis. 

I keep my lipstick tubes clean and out of the reach of grabby hands by sticking them all into a refillable palette.  I sanitize the metal pans, spatula off the lipstick, use my heat gun to melt it into the pan and then let it cool off.  The lipstick doesn’t get ruined as long as you don’t boil it with the heat gun.

Jan 07 08 05:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

Karla Ticas Photography wrote:
Althought it sounds like an interesting/tempting idea, telling a model to bring her own brushes to a shoot is a little over the top. It's a make-up artist's job to bring all the supplies needed to apply make-up. A model has enough to worry about and I personally wouldn't trust her with cleaning brushes as she/he should be.

If we start asking that, then why not bring your own scissors and brushes to your stylist? Or nail clippers, polish and files to your weekly manicures?

No matter what company you work for, they each have their own standards of hygene or how something should be cleaned or applied. But you as a make-up artist should have your own do or don't when you're on the job. Horror stories do happen, and it's disgusting, but education customers and other make-up artists is the best way to go.

UM... I bring my own manicure/pedicure utensils to the nail bitches... They pass out fungi  daily like it were christmas!

Jan 07 08 05:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Verity F

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

an actress once told me of a shoot where a makeup artist used the one dirty sponge to touch up about 15 extra's in a row, it made me feel ill.

i can not handle when a makeup artist stores makeup brushes in her/his hair or worse, her/his mouth.

Jan 07 08 06:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer Nicole MUA

Monterey, California, US

rachelrose wrote:

I toss them after every person, too. I spend a lot of money on lashes. But the main reason is because i am always chopping them up to fit somebody or chopping them into a different shape and rearranging them. So for me, it doesnt make a lot of sense to keep them around. They can be cleaned, sanitized and reused though. Just get the glue off and soak them in 99%, wipe em off and they are clean again. It's not the way that I roll, but it can be done. I don't think it is fair to call them unsanitry or unclean, if the lashes have been cleaned and properly sanitized.  I mean some people save mascara wands after their mascara is all used up (not disposables, but the ones that come with the mascara) and treat them like make-up brushes, dip them in the mascara once apply it to the model and they clean it the same as they would their make-up brushes. I prefer to just stick with my disposables, but thats a personal preference.

maybe that's what Carmindy does...hopefully.  I've noticed that she does use from the tube, but I don't know if she double dips??? Never seen her do that.

Jan 07 08 07:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer Nicole MUA

Monterey, California, US

You know those sample tubes of frangrances with the little wands in them?  I have some foundation samples like that....
I did an event and used the sample sizes to carry along with me and used the wands to get some of the foundation out to put on my palette...
I set it down and from the corner of my eye one of the guests at the event used the little wand to apply foundation straight to her face....ew!  She was rubbing it all over her face and double dipping...there is only so much you can get out of the tube at one time, she just kept pumping the wand and it and applying it!!!
She knew it was wrong too because she was doing it quickly and suspiciously....yuck...I threw it away...

I have a supply of disposable everything...spatulas, wands, lip brushes...tons and tons of cotton balls, makeup wedges and cotton swabs...I worked for a cosmetic direct sales company and believe it or not, they were very sanitary...even though it's costly to have disposable tools, it's worth it...I like to conserve, but when it comes to sanitation...yikes!

Jan 07 08 07:42 am Link

Model

Elemmire

Chicago, Illinois, US

My aunt works for the What Not To Wear show, and I asked her about Carmindy's stuff. She said that every participent gets the products Carmindy used on them, meaning the double dipping is fine; the tube of mascara is theirs in the end. Same goes for the hair products used by Nick.

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I wanted to ease some of your minds. smile

Jan 21 08 01:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Jessica Elliot wrote:
When I was working at London Drugs in Richmond for a while, I saw some seriously scary stuff! O_O

One time, I was cleaning up the counter when this oriental lady came in. She headed straight for the Revlon makeup. There's the Revlon Sugar Sugar lip powder innocently sitting there, and this lady comes up and starts EATING it like it was a DipStix candy pack! O_< EW! I obviously threw out the tester. I mean, I know it tastes like sugar, but ew!

Now, our London Drugs had a drug rehab program. This lady came into the store, shot up in the bathroom, then proceeded to stumble towards the cosmetics counter. She opened a brand new Lancome skin cream tester, shoved her hand in, took out a big glob, and smeared it down her face while going "aaaaaaaaaaaahhh"! lol

Next, this other lady came in and started trying all of the testers directly on her face. Now, I mean ON HER FACE! She was putting lipstick and everything all over her face! O_o We were very lucky that a Richmond Centre Mall security officer recognized her and notified us that she has herpes and other STDs! We had to throw out ALL of our testers, because we weren't sure which ones she had used! sad

I have many more stories. LOL!

good to know I wont be shopping in your store smile heheh kidding, I think people dont realize that just becasue its a tester, it shouldnt be "tested" where you would actually apply it... I can barely bring my self to touch tester let along actually test them. and I always grab things from the back of the "line up" of products and make sure if there is a safty seal that it is still intact before i purchase anything...

Jan 21 08 02:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Miss Anabelle

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Madelynn Austin wrote:
My aunt works for the What Not To Wear show, and I asked her about Carmindy's stuff. She said that every participent gets the products Carmindy used on them, meaning the double dipping is fine; the tube of mascara is theirs in the end. Same goes for the hair products used by Nick.

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I wanted to ease some of your minds. smile

Ok I'm happy to know now that she give them the mascara and the rest of the products! Thanx for the info! wink

Jan 21 08 02:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Madelynn Austin wrote:

well thats good to hear she sould mention that or they should show them handing over all of the goodies to the client. this would make me feel better ....

Jan 21 08 02:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Miss Anabelle

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Yes absolutely

Jan 21 08 02:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Patron Saint Of Makeup

Angelah_ wrote:

GROSS!  The only time I reuse fake lashes is when they are on myself.  Hell, I've used one pair over 15 times already, hahah.  But to switch them from girl to girl is so disgusting.

You can always microwave lashes to get the germs out and use 99% alcohol, if you absolutely have to re-use, (thats what they taught us in school.)

i've seen Jay Manuel (from america's next top model.) blow on his brushes.

i cringe when makeup artist blow on their brushes. ughhh.

Jan 21 08 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

you all are totally rubbing off on me  : )   at class the other day, the girl practicing on me blew on her brush and I was totally grossed out...the first week, someone blew on my face and I was really wigging....

Jan 21 08 09:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Miss Anabelle wrote:

Ok I'm happy to know now that she give them the mascara and the rest of the products! Thanx for the info! wink

Yep I've had to do that before.  When I am out of mascara wands, for some ridiculous reason it's the only thing I can't ever remember to refill.  And I end up having to buy a few tubes of mascara and using it straight form the tube.  But I give them to the models at the end of the day to keep.

They never mind because I make sure that they see me open the box right ini front of them.  And I mark it with their initial to remember what tube belongs to who.  They always seem to appreciate that.  And a free tube of mascara never hurts.

Jan 21 08 10:03 am Link

Model

Elemmire

Chicago, Illinois, US

No prob guys.
I could sense the fear. big_smile

Jan 21 08 08:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dashee La Maquilleuse

London, England, United Kingdom

GlossBot wrote:

i don't have a link but I get my disposable lip brushes and mascara wands both at Sally Beauty.

Here is link to Disposable Makeup Suplies: http://www.kosmetech.com/

Feb 20 08 09:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Theresa George MUA

San Francisco, California, US

Oh yuck I saw that episode! Someone mentioned Carmindy doing that too...

Patron Saint Of Makeup wrote:
i've seen Jay Manuel (from america's next top model.) blow on his brushes.

i cringe when makeup artist blow on their brushes. ughhh.

Feb 20 08 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Theresa George MUA

San Francisco, California, US

Huh...I read that book/ have it and he (Nars) does recommend cleaning the brushes...(well duh)...he recommends using shampoo or a mild facial cleanser I think...he doesn't like the "brush cleansers" as he feels those damage the brushes as they are alcohol-based and dry out the brushes...maybe that's what she meant or didn't read it properly!

Femme Artistry wrote:
Now for my own horror stories – I used to work in a high-end department store at a cosmetic counter.  One of my co-workers insisted that the reason why she doesn’t wash/clean her counter makeup brushes is because they don’t “work” good when they are clean!!!  Eeeeekkkk!  I even overheard her go so far as to tell a customer that the COSMETIC line didn’t recommend cleaning the brushes because it would “ruin” them!!  (The creator of this line has a book out called Makeup Your Mind),

Same store – never had pink eye until I worked there.  And got it twice.  I can honestly say that at the counter I worked at we both thoroughly washed our brushes every single night.   

I have to agree with the MUA that said people are just dirty in general.  It’s almost impossible to police a makeup counter from germs due to most counters are not staffed 24/7.  You don’t know what happens when you’re not there.  BUT everyday I worked I sanitized & cleaned a section or two of testers at our counter, plus others as needed.  The sections got cleaned in the same order all the time to make sure everything was getting cleaned on a regular basis. 

I keep my lipstick tubes clean and out of the reach of grabby hands by sticking them all into a refillable palette.  I sanitize the metal pans, spatula off the lipstick, use my heat gun to melt it into the pan and then let it cool off.  The lipstick doesn’t get ruined as long as you don’t boil it with the heat gun.

Feb 20 08 10:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brenna Clark

Homeland, California, US

Someone else  mentioned the anti-bacterial wipes made for cosmetic tools . I find them really handy to use on the metal scrapers or palletes...or anything you're able to wipe down. They say you can use them on brushes...but I don't expect them to do a thorough cleaning, so I only use them on the nonporous objects.
But they're inexpensive and useful.

Feb 21 08 02:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

albion

Preston, England, United Kingdom

Mary wrote:
using mascara wands right from the tube is very common and its disgusting and as a model it would be a get up and walk out time for me.  Sorry, the money isnt worth risking your health.

apparently, it's very common. i have lost count of the times models have commented on my using disposables and told stories of unhygenic make-up artists. really quite worrying.

Feb 21 08 07:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Smash Make-up

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I went on a shoot a few weeks ago and everything looked clean. However, when I woke up the next morning after taking all the make up off and cleansing and moisturizing my face well after I got home I had a slight stye in my eye. It hurt and was so agitating. I have no idea if it had to do with the MUA and such but it really bugged me because I could not think of any other reason I had a stye

Feb 21 08 09:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

DerbyFaceanBodyPainting

London, England, United Kingdom

if it isnt clean tell the make up artist to get her act together!
Equally tell MUA tell the model to wash or no work.

YUCK

this thread makes me feel sick!

Feb 21 08 11:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Stacey Lete

San Diego, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
I once had a newbie makeup artist SUCK ON her brushes before applying them to my face.  AND *LICKED* her fingers before attemping to blend with them.

I was so grossed out.

If I shoot with that photographer again, I will let him know that he needs to give her some pointers if she's still doing that sort of thing.

The makeup itself was fine, but I sort of hope I never have to work with her again.

I would like to know where that MUA went to school and who taught her that! LOL

Feb 21 08 11:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vera Zay

Well I have to admit that I am OCD, when it comes to hygene!  I have a Horror story....
Several years ago I was called upon to work for one of the popular Makeup Schools (shall be nameless), to take over an existing class. The instructor had to leave on an emergency, so the students were 1/2 way through their class.  Now as I scoped out each students "Kit", every student had a (and I mean A or 1)  "Puff". And everyones Puffs were the grossest thing I'd ever seen! They were every color of makeup, pencils, foundation, shadows, plus sticky, and worst...crunchy!  Ewwww!!!  Now the worst of it was that when I had asked about why they all had crunchy , funky puffs, they proudly exclaimed that "it shows that you're a busy MUA" !!!  OMG! I was apauled! Now due to having to be ethical, about not dogging another teacher...I just told the class; today we are learning about "Hygene" , and went to the storage room, got new puffs, and taught them how to fill them with powder, then wrap them in several tissues. Also teaching them that you Never use the same puff on anyone else,same goes for sponges, spoolies, etc. and the rules of "Disposable"!!!!  I to this day see on sets, wether it be Film, TV, Fashion,  MUA's, who blow on their brushes, faces etc. Or drop their tools  on the floor and picking it up and reusing them without disenfecting, or throwing them out!  EEewwwww!!!
Here's to all of us OCD Hygenic MUA'S!!!!!

Feb 21 08 03:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Teresa Wylie

Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

Vera Zay wrote:
Well I have to admit that I am OCD, when it comes to hygene!  I have a Horror story....
Several years ago I was called upon to work for one of the popular Makeup Schools (shall be nameless), to take over an existing class. The instructor had to leave on an emergency, so the students were 1/2 way through their class.  Now as I scoped out each students "Kit", every student had a (and I mean A or 1)  "Puff". And everyones Puffs were the grossest thing I'd ever seen! They were every color of makeup, pencils, foundation, shadows, plus sticky, and worst...crunchy!  Ewwww!!!  Now the worst of it was that when I had asked about why they all had crunchy , funky puffs, they proudly exclaimed that "it shows that you're a busy MUA" !!!  OMG! I was apauled! Now due to having to be ethical, about not dogging another teacher...I just told the class; today we are learning about "Hygene" , and went to the storage room, got new puffs, and taught them how to fill them with powder, then wrap them in several tissues. Also teaching them that you Never use the same puff on anyone else,same goes for sponges, spoolies, etc. and the rules of "Disposable"!!!!  I to this day see on sets, wether it be Film, TV, Fashion,  MUA's, who blow on their brushes, faces etc. Or drop their tools  on the floor and picking it up and reusing them without disenfecting, or throwing them out!  EEewwwww!!!
Here's to all of us OCD Hygenic MUA'S!!!!!

Oh no, that is just gross!
This is where all the dirty little buggers are comin from.....schools like that one.

Feb 21 08 03:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SER STUDIOS MUartistry

Brooklyn, New York, US

I think I've seen alot worse where I work at Sephora! Was it yesterday I notice a classy lady coming into the store to shop for cosmetics. She was a bit rude when we (MUA) asked her if she need any help and she completely blew us off. On, the flip side, she was going through our nars line just applying makeup on herself w/o using the disposable makup wands we have placed by the mirrors. Talk about just staright up dirty and rude!!!

Feb 22 08 12:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sian Lidgate

Winchester, England, United Kingdom

I assisted a professional makeup artist a while ago... and there was no disposable used by her the whole time sad Mascara from the tube on numerous model, lip loss straight from the tube again onto numerous models and then herself - yuk!

Its difficult as a new artist assisting to know what to do in those situations... you don't want to undermine anyone...  guess just make sure your own work is as hygienic as possible and hope it might be noticed smile

On another note... I just watched an interview with supermodel Agyness Dean on 'Friday Night with Jonathon Ross' (will be available to watch on bbc iplayer from tomorrow I think - it's episode 7)... she had conjunctivitis and said she didn't know exactly how she got it but said she thought it was from dirty makeup brushes at New York Fashion Week. Shows just how common a problem poor hygiene is.

Feb 22 08 06:46 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

A makeup artist I worked with in 2005 LICKED HER BRUSHES before applying the makeup to my face.  I was horrified, but I didn't say anything.  I figured if I ever shot with her again for some photographer and she tried to do it again, I'd object.

Ew, ew, ew.

Feb 22 08 07:00 pm Link

Model

_NO_NAME_

Dallas, Texas, US

my friend is a MUA and i decided to let her do my make up for a shoot.  the sponge she used for my foundation had clearly been used several times before.  then when my eyeshadow smudged she licked her finger to wipe it off.  she's still my friend but she'll never do my make up again!

Feb 22 08 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

Roshar wrote:
One time a model was being so rude to me- so I spit on her face and said "Dont worry, thats how you set the makeup"

just kidding.

Although one time I was talking and accidntly spit my mint onto the models hair. That was embarssing.

Be glad you weren't doing mascara because the models mouth would have been open and well....smile

Doing make up for years I've seen some gross stuff (not washing hands after going to the bathroom comes to mind as inexcusable).

Like with everything else don't judge the book by the cover.

Some of the most talented people I've worked with had terrible hygiene (some were super clean also).

While it's important to be clean ultimately a model comes in contact with more germs eating breakfast and getting to the shoot then working with the dirtiest MUA (I agree around the eye area it's very important to be clean).

Be professional don't double dip mascara, clean your hands, etc, but when it comes down to it, some products work better when applied with your fingers.

Just make sure they're clean when you use them.

For the record I cut the wands off my mascara and gloss testers so that no one can pick them up and use them when I'm not looking.

All the best,

Frank

Feb 22 08 07:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Courtney Lynch

Paris, Île-de-France, France

As far as the mascara goes... yuck, I just ate about an hour ago, and reading through this, I feel very ill, blah! The one time I was being spacey and double-dipped (well, not double dipped...but took the wand straight from the tube and straight to the lashes), I realized my accident right away, and it was my brand new one I bought an hour before hand sad. I looked at the model, gave her a great big smile and said "You like the mascara? Cause you get to take it with you today!" I think she liked me, lol.
For eyelashes. I through EVERY used pair out, even my beautiful luxurious Shu Emuras (a tear just rolled down my face). Unless I am doing some crazy, very organized and creative collaboration, i don't care about shelling out the money for them (anywhere from $6-$30, I'm talking for some one of a kind, great lashes). And it's not like you need to use lashes for EVERY shoot. I do also carry the individuals in my kit if they just need a little subtle -boost- to the eye.
Why throw them out every time?
Obvious answer #1: It's sanitary ( I can understand that you can de-sanitize them, but I prefer to just not have to worry about that and chuck them, or let the model keep them).
#2: You never know who knows who. NEVER. May as well get it in your head that everybody talks and your name is at risk even if you say in your head 'oh, she's not paying attention, or she doesn't know as much about makeup as I do'. If a model sits in my chair, and I plan to use lashes, I plan to show her that I am taking them out of a fresh, 1st time opened box/tray. It's just the way I roll.

Re-dipping, spitting, blowing...(boy, that sounded dirty wink it's gross. Not only is it clean, safe and sanitary to take care of your makeup, brushes, tools and model, the more pleasant and professional experience everyone has around you for a tf*, test, shoot, job, collaboration... the chances are that you will make new friends, gather many new inspiring contacts, have a fun time, maybe make more doe (if thats what your into, jk, lol) and be talked about in a very good light. Everything counts baby, it's up to you to ask yourself if its worth it to you, it is to me smile

Feb 22 08 08:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Guerra

FROM FASHIONISTA.COM

------------------------
Rumor Mill: Eye Spy...
Jan 31, 2008 @ 11:25pm
Eye Spy Well, it wouldn't be Fashion Week without some zingy gossip, right? Here's today's "omigosh," as emailed from a model manager:

A group of model BFFs all came back to New York from Brazil without the ten pounds they each gained over Christmas, but with something else instead:

Pink eye.

Girls are being triple-checked by makeup artists since eyes are the heavy focus this season, extra Q tips are getting bought in bulk, and there's major paranoia all around -

But it's Fashion Week, so what else is new?

------

Feb 22 08 08:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MLP MAKE-UP

Workington, England, United Kingdom

Angelah_ wrote:

GROSS!  The only time I reuse fake lashes is when they are on myself.  Hell, I've used one pair over 15 times already, hahah.  But to switch them from girl to girl is so disgusting.

if you do use false eyelashes again , clean then in isopropyl alcohol , it gets glue off and should sanitise it

Apr 25 08 10:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

ClaireShipman

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

MLP MAKE-UP wrote:

if you do use false eyelashes again , clean then in isopropyl alcohol , it gets glue off and should sanitise it

Thats doesnt work they go all clumpy and frazzled looking, its much easier and cleaner to just let the model have them imho.

Apr 25 08 11:40 am Link