Jessyka Ann wrote:
why would someone blow on brushes? I have never done that and I'm no MUA! lmao

I guess she prefers to blow smile

Apr 24 09 09:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LA Make Up

Bridgewater, New Jersey, US

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair wrote:
This is a little different, but thought I'd add it anyway...

I once had a shoot for a girl who was putting together her comp card.  She had her hair back in a ponytail and it looked slightly damp. 

When I went to g work on it, it turned out that it wasn't damp, just very GREASY and smelly.  I thought I was going to die!!!  I refused to work on her and she got sent home.

For me, that was a horror story!

I had a model with head lice! I had to throw away everything that touched her...my cape, comb,brush. GROSS!

Apr 28 09 09:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Elegy Ink wrote:

I literally screamed in horror when I saw this! sad ugh thats so gross I wanna cry, and I've never even had this!

Never had it??

Darling I don't want you to poop yourself but... Everyone has lash mites!

Apr 28 09 09:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahKay

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

rofl

Apr 28 09 09:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Jen

Sacramento, California, US

Someone said they don't touch a person with a cold sore(soar)...so what do you do? You're on set and you gotta put lipstick and liner on her what d'ya do?

Recently, I've tossed a lip liner because a girl had a cold soar and a lip brush. I had to put lips on her. But even after sanitizing the crap outta of each, it was better to be safe than sorry, so both went in the trash. As I was waiting for another model to come sit in my chair I was watching the other MUA... holy moly, I cringed with the eebie geeebies... she used same liner on every girl no wash-no sharpen, same face brush no wash, HOLY MOLY... No hand sanitizer (I santize after every face), no alcohol to soak lip liners, eye liners in, no sharpener to sharpen after each use. I NEVER EVER DOUBLE DIP.. not even my chips and dip...WTF?? Crazy grossness was happening. OH and NO disposable mascara wands!!!! OMG that's just plain nuts... sorry but have to mention this... it was a M.A.C. girl. **I'm just sayin****

Apr 29 09 08:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dashee La Maquilleuse

London, England, United Kingdom

Angelah_ wrote:

GROSS!  The only time I reuse fake lashes is when they are on myself.  Hell, I've used one pair over 15 times already, hahah.  But to switch them from girl to girl is so disgusting.

yes it is disgusting,

But actually you CAN reuse them (if they still look like new) but you have to follow these rules:

1. Clean from the glue
2. Remove any makeup with milk or makeup remover, etc...
3. DESINFECT it with 70%+ Alcohol (I use 99%) to kill all bacteria (I sink them for 10 min in alcohol)
4. Let them dry in original package
5. Curl them back with curling tong or you can also use hairdryer

x

Apr 30 09 02:00 am Link

Model

JuliaK

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wow... I'm glad I ran across this thread! Lots of valuable information

May 02 09 08:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mz Chio PRO MUA

San Diego, California, US

1) When I was at MAC (ohh the memories) a fellow colleague sneezed on her petri dish to apply foundation. WAIT- wiped the bogger dots, and continued to apply her foundation the on the client.  Really Gross

2) One of the greenlights at MAC, was testing the lipsticks on herself with cold sores instead of using a wand or dipping it in alcohol, so I had to say something- GO HOME.

May 04 09 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Jen

Sacramento, California, US

Mz Chio Makeup  wrote:
2) One of the greenlights at MAC, was testing the lipsticks on herself with cold sores instead of using a wand or dipping it in alcohol, so I had to say something- GO HOME.

LMFAO

May 04 09 10:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Claire Dickinson

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

This isnt about cleanliness BUT- I was working with a girl once (another MUA) and the model had tired eyes.

So the MUA put some eyedrops in one of her eyes, but she didn't actually LOOK at the product..... and had put EYELASH GLUE into this models eyes!!!!!

We rushed her to hospital and managed to save one of the models eyes.

Safe to say I always check my products twice AND that MUA never workd in this industry again O_O!

Scary times.

May 04 09 01:28 pm Link

Model

Reby

New York, New York, US

Why is blowing on brushes bad ?

May 04 09 01:31 pm Link

Model

Manda Marie88

Chicago, Illinois, US

Reby wrote:
Why is blowing on brushes bad ?

deposits saliva on the brushes....you may as well just lick the person's face smile

May 04 09 01:32 pm Link

Model

Reby

New York, New York, US

Manda Marie88 wrote:

deposits saliva on the brushes....you may as well just lick the person's face smile

ew. ok thanks.

May 04 09 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Conchphotog

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I did a shoot with a MUA that took the fake eye lashes off of the models and put them back in the cases they came from. When I asked if she was going to use them again she said "Hell yeah! They are expensive. This is the third time I have used them." I have never worked with her again.

May 04 09 01:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Al Chapoy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Claire Dickinson wrote:
This isnt about cleanliness BUT- I was working with a girl once (another MUA) and the model had tired eyes.

So the MUA put some eyedrops in one of her eyes, but she didn't actually LOOK at the product..... and had put EYELASH GLUE into this models eyes!!!!!

We rushed her to hospital and managed to save one of the models eyes.

Safe to say I always check my products twice AND that MUA never workd in this industry again O_O!

Scary times.

D:

stfu!!!

what happened to the other eye?!

May 04 09 04:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

jdm

New York, New York, US

Jen Johnson Makeup Art wrote:
Someone said they don't touch a person with a cold sore(soar)...so what do you do? You're on set and you gotta put lipstick and liner on her what d'ya do?

Recently, I've tossed a lip liner because a girl had a cold soar and a lip brush. I had to put lips on her. But even after sanitizing the crap outta of each, it was better to be safe than sorry, so both went in the trash. As I was waiting for another model to come sit in my chair I was watching the other MUA... holy moly, I cringed with the eebie geeebies... she used same liner on every girl no wash-no sharpen, same face brush no wash, HOLY MOLY... No hand sanitizer (I santize after every face), no alcohol to soak lip liners, eye liners in, no sharpener to sharpen after each use. I NEVER EVER DOUBLE DIP.. not even my chips and dip...WTF?? Crazy grossness was happening. OH and NO disposable mascara wands!!!! OMG that's just plain nuts... sorry but have to mention this... it was a M.A.C. girl. **I'm just sayin****

Please, please, please tell me you said something!

May 04 09 05:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Gravelle

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ugh. Back when I was in school I remember one girl who had HORRIBLE skin. And did absolutely nothing about it. Really dehydrated, acne, etc. Of course no one wanted to work with her but I got stuck one day.

She had a really nasty blemish on the side of her face that I said I wasn't going to touch (remember, we're in class, so it was ok) and she just flat out said "Oh no, it's no problem" and POPPED IT THEN LICKED HER FINGERS AND WIPED IT ON MY TOWEL. I almost threw up and refused to work on her.

Then at the end of the class I noticed she used all her kit products on herself (I'm anal and keep my own bag of MU) and saw her licking all her brushes that obviously weren't cleaned at all since they were leaving streaks on her tongue.

Ugh. How people like that manage to work in the industry is beyond me. I always make sure to clean everything as much as possible and even get all of my metal tools autoclaved (yay for having friends in tattoo parlours).

May 11 09 09:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chasity Danelle

Los Angeles, California, US

Elizabeth Gerbino wrote:

the moisturizer lady made me LOL. I bet it's funny looking back on it....

May 11 09 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Foto

Alberschwende, Vorarlberg, Austria

Reading some of this stuff has almost made me physically sick. It's a sad sad world out there!

May 11 09 02:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Just Kiss N Makeup

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kaylene Scherb wrote:
Eyelash mite:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/JeffWells/subalbum1/eyelashmitesized.jpg

https://www.electroherbalism.com/Naturopathy/MiscAltHealthTopics/Parasites/parasite_pictures_and_videos/eyelash_Mites_1.jpg

fuck that nearly made me throw up. jesus fucking christ, im like choking back. that is SO scary. I want to burn my eyelashes off or dip them in alcohol.

May 14 09 09:54 pm Link

Model

Kaylyn Marie

Oceanside, California, US

Just Kiss N Makeup wrote:

fuck that nearly made me throw up. jesus fucking christ, im like choking back. that is SO scary. I want to burn my eyelashes off or dip them in alcohol.

agreed!! that is disgusting. i rarely wear make-up and i was curious why the root of my eyelashes always itched. i guess this is the reason. disgusting.

May 14 09 11:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rachael Sachse

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Jessika Dorian wrote:

In a way, I think they're kinda cute smile

I agree to be honest >_< Probably because I wasn't scared because I know we all have these little guys.

But yeah, I gotta admit I'm one of those people who use my fingers in powder at makeup counters. In my defense - most counters don't have anything else to apply things with. When I first went into a -real- makeup counter that had stuff I was so embarassed that I'd used my fingers...
Oddly, even the staff at Myer counters (uum a chain store, slightly upmarket for all you non-aussies) when they ask if you need help, never hand over a cotton tip or anything. Wtf? Hence why I thought it was normal to use fingers, I guess I just assumed that they would clean the counter makeup regularly...
And I use the product on the back of my hand - god never my face. I grew up with coldsores, and the first thing I learned was NEVER EVER touch anything while I have them, and be paranoid cos other people are stupider than me. I worry about people who don't make sure they themselves are clean before touching anything. I carry babywipes and antibac everywhere where I may have to touch someone/product.

May 15 09 07:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ashley Gravelle wrote:
Ugh. Back when I was in school I remember one girl who had HORRIBLE skin. And did absolutely nothing about it. Really dehydrated, acne, etc. Of course no one wanted to work with her but I got stuck one day.

She had a really nasty blemish on the side of her face that I said I wasn't going to touch (remember, we're in class, so it was ok) and she just flat out said "Oh no, it's no problem" and POPPED IT THEN LICKED HER FINGERS AND WIPED IT ON MY TOWEL. I almost threw up and refused to work on her.

Then at the end of the class I noticed she used all her kit products on herself (I'm anal and keep my own bag of MU) and saw her licking all her brushes that obviously weren't cleaned at all since they were leaving streaks on her tongue.

Ugh. How people like that manage to work in the industry is beyond me. I always make sure to clean everything as much as possible and even get all of my metal tools autoclaved (yay for having friends in tattoo parlours).

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

May 15 09 08:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Phoenix Rhain

WOW! I am SOOOOOOOO OCD when it comes to hygiene! I cannot believe some of these stories! What type of MUA are these peeps. It's so nasty and we womder why the world keeps coming up with all these crazy virus and bacterias! That's why I'm called the OCD Queen! Nasty ass MUA make it hard for all of us good ones!

Scary!

May 15 09 10:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea Martini

SHOHOLA, Pennsylvania, US

DreadDoll wrote:
Not to hijack the thread... but I'm curious about what everyone considers hygenic?
Everyone has different standards right?

Personally, I grew up with a microbiologist mother, who in turn made me into a germaphobe.
I think I'm obsessivley clean about my kit.  I

Just wondering how everyone keeps their shadow and blush palettes sanitary?

My mom is a germaphobic RN lol. and in turn, my brothers and I are complete germaphobs! i scrape EVERYTHING out of my palettes, lip glosses, lip sticks etc etc with a clean spatula,onto a clean palette....which is first sprayed down with alcohol and wiped off, in between EVERY model. i wash my hands and alcohol them before touching makeup, a models face, anything. i hardcore shampoo my brushes after every shoot. harsh on the brush, maybe, but i make sure not to pass anything funky to the next person they touch!

May 16 09 08:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea Martini

SHOHOLA, Pennsylvania, US

Dashee wrote:

yes it is disgusting,

But actually you CAN reuse them (if they still look like new) but you have to follow these rules:

1. Clean from the glue
2. Remove any makeup with milk or makeup remover, etc...
3. DESINFECT it with 70%+ Alcohol (I use 99%) to kill all bacteria (I sink them for 10 min in alcohol)
4. Let them dry in original package
5. Curl them back with curling tong or you can also use hairdryer

x

thankyou for pointing that out!

May 16 09 08:22 pm Link

Hair Stylist

EVOLVING IMAGES INC

SoAddicted wrote:
When I 1st began modeling I had a makup artist lick his liner brush to give me a more presice line on my eye lid. I smacked the brush right out of his hand and told him NO you will not ut that in my eye.

thats nasty!!!!

May 16 09 08:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Faces by SAM

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

There have been some posts lately about hygene so I thought I'd bump this old one up to the top.  I think this is a total MUST READ for anyone new to the industry.  Especially since there are so many that are self taught.  I'm sure there are things on here that some people would never have thought of doing/not doing.  Some of it just goes beyond common sense. 

Can't think of any major horror stories, but I used to work at the makeup counters and I spent half my day sanitizing things.  Anyone who walked up to my counter I watched them like a hawk not b/c I was trying to sell to them.  I was making sure they didn't touch the makeup!  There was one woman from the Lancome counter though who would use the liquid liner pen all over her eyelid every day, multiple times since she piled on so much it would dry and crack and cake up.  Always made me so squeemish.

Aug 13 09 03:58 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

I'm pretty sure that they give the "contestant" on What Not To Wear some of the makeup after that part of the shoot... you always see them using it later when they're getting ready for their reveal party.  So, using things straight from the tube is not an issue.  I doubt Carmindy does that on commercial clients off-screen.

Aug 13 09 04:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Alinta Hassen Makeup

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

i cant thank all the contributors to this thread enough. i have learnt so much, and it has made me horrendously cautious what i do with each brush etc. gotta say for a newer MUA, this thread has been a massive massive help in learing what is sanitary.

Aug 14 09 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Nella Balda

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

Oh my god so many horror i have read...
People dont realise that hygiene is very important!

I do the make up myself and i never use it on my own.
I will start a study as a make up artist in september and i already have to huge coffers.

I purchased 2 huge sets of professional brushes but also mascara brushes, lip brushes, eye brushes and so on that u can use once and then trow away.

I have special sanytizer gel to use everytime and i dont understand that some make up artist that already had a study forget such an important things as hygiene...

Lick a brush??? my god!!

Aug 14 09 04:25 am Link

Model

JasmineBowen

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Coming from someone with a lot of allergies and sensitivies--THANK YOU for being so clean! Cross contamnation is what gets me,and I so appreaciate when an MUA is clean!

As for Donald Trump---when I worked with him, as a model, he wouldn't even shake our hands "Hi, thanks for being here 12 hours a day while I do NOTHING"...nope. Just come in, pose for pictures, and he's off, while we are stuck at his convention...."being the fun girls, handing out candy" *rolls eyes*

Horror story: I was doing a theatre show, and the lead male, after the show came back to the MUA table for makeup remover. She asked him where his false eyelashes were, and he said he had taken them off in the bathroom. She got all mad, stomped to the bathroom, grabbed them from WHO KNOWS WHERE HE PUT THEM, and put them BACK in the case and said "see you tommorow"
AAAAA! (and no, we all had false lashes that were the same...ick)

Aug 15 09 07:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sara Vipond Artistry

Chicago, Illinois, US

I worked in a boutique where we were pretty good about being hygenic:  each artist had their own set of brushes that were sprayed down with alcohol between customers and washed every night, lipsticks were shaved for each customer, disposable mascara wands. 

But I had plenty of customers that were nast.  Women with pink-eye would come in and ask for eye looks.  Women with cold sores would ask for lipstick.  We were expected to just do it, but I would always ask what the deal was with their faces and tell them I couldn't do it.  Most people backed off when I brought up "for hygenic reasons," but some totally didn't - they didn't care!  I'd always throw away the brush after I used it then go and wash my hands for about ten minutes.

Aug 21 09 06:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

imnothere

Türkistan, Oņtüstik Ķazaķstan, Kazakhstan

Sara Vipond Artistry wrote:
I worked in a boutique where we were pretty good about being hygenic:  each artist had their own set of brushes that were sprayed down with alcohol between customers and washed every night, lipsticks were shaved for each customer, disposable mascara wands. 

But I had plenty of customers that were nast.  Women with pink-eye would come in and ask for eye looks.  Women with cold sores would ask for lipstick.  We were expected to just do it, but I would always ask what the deal was with their faces and tell them I couldn't do it.  Most people backed off when I brought up "for hygenic reasons," but some totally didn't - they didn't care!  I'd always throw away the brush after I used it then go and wash my hands for about ten minutes.

When I was in college, I worked at a counter in Macy's Herald Square and we had one set - ONE SET - of brushes for the whole counter.  The same brush set that was sitting out for customers to touch and feel.  This is the biggest Clinique counter in the tri-state area as far as I know and we were expected to use one set of brushes on the hundreds of customers that would ask for makeovers each week.  Did we have brush cleaner?  No.  I was told by a manager to just wipe them on a dry tissue until there was no more color before using on another customer.  I tried to avoid doing makeup at all costs but when I had to, I just made do with cotton balls and q-tips because there was no way I was going to go rub some staph covered brush all over someone's eyelid.

We also didn't have a sink.  The closest sink was at the Shiseido counter which was right across from us, but much too far for most of my coworkers to walk.  They would just spray their hands with water or alcohol, whichever was available, and get to work rubbing germs and bacteria all over people's faces.

I've worked for other makeup companies, and while none were as bad as Clinique in the nastiness department, they still weren't as clean as they could/should be.  This is why I tell everyone I know, never EVER have your makeup done at a counter or store.  You don't know what is going on between the trifling customers who touch in the makeup and the trifling employees who don't clean up after them.

I'm happy to say all of the real artists that I've assisted and worked with have been very hygienic.

Aug 21 09 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

susan patrick harris

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

this thread should be required reading here at mm!!
thanks

Aug 21 09 08:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Leticia Bidmar

Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay

Oh, oh, just learnt from my models last thursday (two of them) they both participated on Miss Málaga event (it's actually like a whole state in Spain), they said that the MUAs (I know they are the students of DNI Makeup one of the most renowned schools in south Spain with their professors supervision) used the one and only same mascara wand on all of the participants...this is actually supposed to be those MUA's final lesson in this so-called school...the models were surprised and impressed by my disposables (that's how I know they're not exagerating...they didn't know this stuff exists...oh my god Spain!!!)...I have so many other stories I've heard since I moved here but this one really impressed me...because of the school being involved...Can you guys believe this???

Aug 22 09 01:17 pm Link

Model

Zee Dee

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JasmineBowen wrote:
As for Donald Trump---when I worked with him, as a model, he wouldn't even shake our hands "Hi, thanks for being here 12 hours a day while I do NOTHING"...nope. Just come in, pose for pictures, and he's off, while we are stuck at his convention...."being the fun girls, handing out candy" *rolls eyes*

Completely off-topic from the original thread, but a couple of my friends worked at his convention here in Toronto two years ago, and they said he was ridiculously nice. Like, shaking everyone's hand, smiling, getting names, endlessly posing for personal pictures, nice.

My horror story: a MUA came to a shoot with a cold.. was telling me her life story and she would cough and cover her mouth with her hand.. which she later used to apply foundation to my face, needless to say, without sanitizing. I didn't even realize because I was too intrigued by the photographer setting up the lighting, but when I realized.. shudder.

Aug 22 09 09:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahChaudhry

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

i dont get it with the lashes. Why are they so stringent with the lashes?

I buy those boxes that comes with 10 pairs (and they ARE good!, totally reusable), but I dont collect em back after a bridal/shoot. during a recent shoot, I had to create 4 different looks on the model for a whole day shoot. The model sweetly removed the lashe after each look was done and handed them to me on a tissue paper and she was shocked each time I just threw em straight into the bin. At the end of the day, she was shocked that I had used each pair for 20 mins and then threw em away before I put on a new pair.
And besides, apart from hygiene, its just nasty having to pick at the dried glue on the lashbone!

Aug 23 09 03:44 am Link

Retoucher

Mythical Modifications

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Maybe she would have liked to have them, but was too shy to ask?

Aug 24 09 10:11 am Link

Model

JazzyC

Winter Springs, Florida, US

so when i hire a MUA, do i just ask her if her items are new or if they have been clean?? but how do i know if she's telling the truth??

=/

Aug 24 09 10:23 am Link