Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUA Hygiene Horror Stories

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

NOW I'm grossed completely out.  This is the best diet chat ever...

One thing I was scrupulous about at Lancome was cleaning the brushes every time I used them.  It drove the sales manager and dept head BONKERS because it took up time and *GOD FORBID* precious cleaning product.  When I contacted my Lancome director, she called the STORE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS BUT RHYMES WITH WILLARDS and read them the riot act.  Needless to say, working there was somewhat of a lesson in futility, but I like to think I showed proper concern for the customer's welfare, at the very least.  I decided then and there to freelance once I quit retail ****.

Aug 10 06 10:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

If the artist was writing names down on the lashes to use on the same models, not an issue.  If she was cleaning them before using on random models, not an issue.  However, if I had a project like that, I would reuse for the same model, or I'd give them the package the lashes came in and ask the model to bring them back the next day.

Aug 10 06 11:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

. just bringing back the stylist forum

Aug 11 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

Jessica_Rose

Atlanta, Georgia, US

EmElle wrote:
If the artist was writing names down on the lashes to use on the same models, not an issue.  If she was cleaning them before using on random models, not an issue.  However, if I had a project like that, I would reuse for the same model, or I'd give them the package the lashes came in and ask the model to bring them back the next day.

Thank you!  I was about to say something here but then I decided to keep my mouth shut.  If you were to GIVE the lashes to the model every time that could really add up.  I mean geez at 5 bucks a pop?  There is nothing wrong with re-using CLEAN lashes.  Do you give away your eyeshadow brush every time you use it?

Aug 12 06 12:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

if i reuse lashes it's always on the same model.. if i had to use a large amount of lashes and usually the models won't get super upclose shots then i use cheaper lashes that cost around 50 cents each pair..  i would not let anyone put lashes that aren't brand new on me so i wouldn't do that to anyone else.
i see lashes as makeup not a tool like brushes, it's part of the cost of the job.. you can get lashes at fairly reasonable price at http://www.madamemadeline.com

there's just no excuse for being dirty our clients rely on us and trust us to be clean for them

Aug 12 06 03:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

liz yu wrote:
if i reuse lashes it's always on the same model.. if i had to use a large amount of lashes and usually the models won't get super upclose shots then i use cheaper lashes that cost around 50 cents each pair..  i would not let anyone put lashes that aren't brand new on me so i wouldn't do that to anyone else.
i see lashes as makeup not a tool like brushes, it's part of the cost of the job.. you can get lashes at fairly reasonable price at http://www.madamemadeline.com

there's just no excuse for being dirty our clients rely on us and trust us to be clean for them

I toss them after every person, too. I spend a lot of money on lashes. But the main reason is because i am always chopping them up to fit somebody or chopping them into a different shape and rearranging them. So for me, it doesnt make a lot of sense to keep them around. They can be cleaned, sanitized and reused though. Just get the glue off and soak them in 99%, wipe em off and they are clean again. It's not the way that I roll, but it can be done. I don't think it is fair to call them unsanitry or unclean, if the lashes have been cleaned and properly sanitized.  I mean some people save mascara wands after their mascara is all used up (not disposables, but the ones that come with the mascara) and treat them like make-up brushes, dip them in the mascara once apply it to the model and they clean it the same as they would their make-up brushes. I prefer to just stick with my disposables, but thats a personal preference.

Aug 12 06 03:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ganeshkarma

New York, New York, US

J-cookie wrote:

Thank you!  I was about to say something here but then I decided to keep my mouth shut.  If you were to GIVE the lashes to the model every time that could really add up.  I mean geez at 5 bucks a pop?  There is nothing wrong with re-using CLEAN lashes.  Do you give away your eyeshadow brush every time you use it?

I agree. I re-used lashes few times (really expensive ones). I clean them and run alchohol q tip along the lines. I really do not have that much money to burn on giving it away all the time.

Aug 12 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

WOW.. I learn something new every time I go into the MUA forums.. Thanks for sharing.. I will be sure to keep an eye out for these things now..

Aug 12 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Barrett

LONG ISLAND CITY, New York, US

Once, I was working a runway show that was outside.  We had a large tent for the makeup/dressing area.   I was pretty new so I had all the cleanliness lessons pounded in my head.   Another new artist was working next to and a model she was working on was  a bit tough to handle.  She asked me to come over and put on the lashes.  Well I got the first one, brand new, on and then a gust of wind came up and blew the second one down to the street!   I wasn't going to use it.   But these were colored lashes and and the model had selected them and she wanted it. "Go ahead" she insisted.  I cleaned it with water, then hand sanitizer, then more water and then put it on her. 

"Go ahead!"  wow.

Aug 12 06 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Steven Barrett wrote:
"Go ahead!"  wow.

Oh, you prude!  Don't you know it all ends up in the same place in a 100 years?

(I'm kidding)

Aug 13 06 01:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rachelrose wrote:

I toss them after every person, too. I spend a lot of money on lashes. But the main reason is because i am always chopping them up to fit somebody or chopping them into a different shape and rearranging them. So for me, it doesnt make a lot of sense to keep them around. They can be cleaned, sanitized and reused though. Just get the glue off and soak them in 99%, wipe em off and they are clean again. It's not the way that I roll, but it can be done. I don't think it is fair to call them unsanitry or unclean, if the lashes have been cleaned and properly sanitized.  I mean some people save mascara wands after their mascara is all used up (not disposables, but the ones that come with the mascara) and treat them like make-up brushes, dip them in the mascara once apply it to the model and they clean it the same as they would their make-up brushes. I prefer to just stick with my disposables, but thats a personal preference.

i agree that if proper precaution is taken to thoroughly clean the lashes it should be alright.  it's just very hard to have faith sometimes after what i've seen other's do and what they call "cleaning"..  i just wish i got to work with more MUA with ethics like you guys here..

Aug 13 06 02:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have this link bookmarked for my dietary needs....it's a great diversion when I'm longing for those fiendish Cheetos - Cheese that goes Crunch

*RALPH*

Aug 13 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

not related to makeup (and i havent read all the posts, so i dunno if someone mentioned this already) but...

how about doing photo shoots that involve nudity and the model has a really bad "haircut". either shaved, but like a week grown out, or ingrown hairs. yeah.. its an issue.

Aug 13 06 02:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Anthony Wallace wrote:
not related to makeup (and i havent read all the posts, so i dunno if someone mentioned this already) but...

Not related and havent read the posts....so whats the point in saying anything in the first place?

Aug 13 06 03:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

HUH?  did you post on the wrong thread? 

Anthony Wallace wrote:

how about doing photo shoots that involve nudity and the model has a really bad "haircut". either shaved, but like a week grown out, or ingrown hairs. yeah.. its an issue.

Aug 13 06 03:43 am Link

Model

Jessica_Rose

Atlanta, Georgia, US

liz yu wrote:

I am not making any excuse to be "dirty".  I am a very clean person as a matter of fact.  A lot of times I cannot re-use the lashes anyway because I altered them somehow or added mascara to them, etc. but sometimes I use an expensive pair again after removing the glue and sanitizing them in alcohol.  Even these tend to start looking bad after sanitizing them so they get thrown away after about the second or third (if I'm lucky) use. 
Thank you though for this site, and please, do tell me where you get lashes for 50 cents! smile

Jess

Aug 13 06 09:56 am Link

Model

Jessica_Rose

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Roshar wrote:

Not related and havent read the posts....so whats the point in saying anything in the first place?

LOL

Aug 13 06 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

artemis

my sister is a celebrity in greece. last year, i went to work with her for a month and a half tour. she was on a tv show, and since there was an mua there, paid by the network, to do her makeup for the tv show, i let her do her job. needless to say, put mascara on her straight from the tube. i freaked out, and later that afternoon took my sister makeup shopping, bought a mascara for her & told her that whenever an mua wants to put mascara on you, whip out your own & say i prefer to use my own.

i am a stickler for cleanliness myself.... i have found that a quick way to dissolve concealer off of my concealer brushes, eye liner off of my eye liner brush, and lip stick or gloss off of my lip brush, is to use a little purrel hand sanitizer  - i drop some into my pallette and swirl my brush in it & it takes it all off, while disinfecting them at the same time, as there is alcohol in the sanitizer.

you just have to clean your brushes... it is just icky to use it on the same people all day long... from shoot to shoot....

Aug 13 06 10:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

artemis

you know, i watched mally roncal one of those home shopping networks, selling her products. she blew on brushes... she double dipped in the mascara, and she smuged things with her fingers on the inner corner of the eye.... i was floored....

you know, donald trump, i hear, is crazy about hygiene... and if and mua with those habits was doing his makeup, he would send that mua packing....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
when you are working a fashion show, you have to be prepared with enough disposable mascara wands... enough mini spatulas to scrape caked cream colors out of their containers... makeup sponges... q-tips... tissues... etc.... santize your hands....

i don't think that i can say enough about this... models are always commenting on the fact that they can tell my brushes are clean... that's a big deal to me...

a model from ford told me once that she modelled at a fashion show and she got pink eye from dirty brushes....

geez....

Aug 13 06 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

liz yu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

J-cookie wrote:

I am not making any excuse to be "dirty".  I am a very clean person as a matter of fact.  A lot of times I cannot re-use the lashes anyway because I altered them somehow or added mascara to them, etc. but sometimes I use an expensive pair again after removing the glue and sanitizing them in alcohol.  Even these tend to start looking bad after sanitizing them so they get thrown away after about the second or third (if I'm lucky) use. 
Thank you though for this site, and please, do tell me where you get lashes for 50 cents! smile

Jess

hey Jess i look for cheap lashes on www.ebay.com and www.taobao.com sometimes i team up with a bunch of makeup artists and contact a b2b company on www.ec21.com that manufactures lashes and order their minimum quantity, usually few hundred pairs.  so if there are other artists and models interested in putting their money together for some cheap lashes that's a really good way to do it.  it takes everyone a while to get low on their stock and when it's time to reorder we contact people that are interested again.  it's a lash discount network hehe..  *^_^*

Aug 15 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Sharron P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
OMG you ppl are like my wife. I jokingly call her Howard Hughs just for this reason. I personally have never known anyone to catch anything from a tube of lipstick. How about what's in the makeup?? Road kill, euthinized animal byproducts, mineral oil and such. And your complaining about blowing on the brush?! Ooooo K.

I got pinkeye after a shoot because of a MUA using a mascara wand straight of the tube. After 20 years on this earth, after having nearly every common childhood disease I got frickin pink eye from a "professional."  To say the least, it's unpleasant.

Aug 15 06 02:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

April Landrum-Johns

Atlanta, Georgia, US

rachelrose wrote:
My horror stories come form when I don't have control over the problem. Like when I am assisting an artist and they aren't very sanitary... and they send me on set with a touchup kit of mascara (still in the tube) a lipbrush and lipgloss (still in the tube) ad touche eclat still in the tube, or a lip palette and a brush. Those are my horror stories, because I am not in a position of authority to say something. Usually I bring my own brushes on set with me, but I don't want to make the other artist look bad. I have had this happen multiple times with different artists, it kind of amazes me that nobody notices.

I did a music video once and a renegade make-up artist showed up on set (an extra with a make-up bag) and started doing all the extra's make-up with mascara still in the tube and using dirty brushes.

When I was in make-up school there was a girl in my class who thought it not only novel to blow on brushed but to lick her eyeliner to a point.. needless to say... nobody wanted to work with her and we were too chicken to say something to the instructor.

But on QVC a lot of the artists do big NONOs. Mally Roncal blows on her brushes.

Not to mention EVERY counter I have been to has the dirtiest shabbiest brushes.

Aug 15 06 11:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

April Landrum-Johns

Atlanta, Georgia, US

rachelrose wrote:
The fingers in the eyeshadows/blushes don't bother me nearly as much as using stuff out of the tube. Using your fingers in powder products just makes them hard and ruins them.

.....And coming from a former beauty advisor from 3 upscale lines, let me tell you.....people are just SO gross!  I worked at one counter where we really tried to keep testers sanitary and clean.  But every single day we would "bust people out" hiding from us just wrecking the tester units, stealing, etc. I don't think that it's the counter girls fault as much as just nasty people.  They let their kids play everything too, just to keep them occupied.  I had to call people out on that all the time.  LOL  (BTW.....sorry for the double post.....blame it on me being 7 months pregnant??)

Aug 15 06 11:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Amanda Craft

Tampa, Florida, US

When I first started as an MUA and was someone's assistant, when we had a break she wanted to do my makeup.  Being so eager to learn as mucha s possible, I agreed.  I most certainly learned a lot that day......she gave me pink eye.....in BOTH eyes!!!!!!

Over nine years later, I am such a germaphobe!!!!  My husband even picks on me with our daughters.  I keep hand sanitizer in both diaper bags, my car, my purse, the girls' rooms and pretty much anywhere I can think of. 

But for my kit.....I ALWAYS have disposable mascara wands, alcohol in a spray bottle, I bring my own table(it's a small folding card table), I have duplicates of brushes that I use the most for big jobs.  When I'm done with one model and waiting for the next, I spray all of my brushes with alcohol, put the model's initials on her sponge and wrap it in a paper towel.  Each model gets their OWN sponge and they keep the lashes.  For shadows, I get a good bit of product on my brush and dab it on a paper towel so I don't double dip and when I do need more, it's on the paper towel.  I use a sanitized artist's mixing knife to scoop out foundation onto a palette to mix colors or to get what I need.  I will even mix different products on seperate parts of the palette for one model so that when she needs a touch up I can just use her mixing palette, I have multiple palettes ;-)

Oh YEAH!!!!!   To get a fine point on a pencil....have those lickers ever heard of a PENCIL SHARPENER!?!?!?!?!?

As for blowing on brushes........  GROSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

My last point on this lenghty post........I love to watch "What NOT to Wear"  but I cringe when I see Carmindy.  You KNOW she's making some dough.  She can be sanitary.

Aug 16 06 01:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lily Wasik

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Amanda Craft wrote:
Oh YEAH!!!!!   To get a fine point on a pencil....have those lickers ever heard of a PENCIL SHARPENER!?!?!?!?!?

Licking a liner to a point is a brush, not a pencil. While this is gross and unsanitary in the makeup world, it's completely common in the fine-arts world, particularly with watercolor. Rolling the hair when wet with your fingers works somewhat, but creates a twist which can un-do and you lose the point.

My most recent sanitary freakout was with a ballet I was working. Two groups of dancers had glitter eye makeup, and we were using the Ben Nye liquid glitter product. I provided them ALL with their own brushes, little two-well palettes to dispense some of the product into, and the product. I explained how to dispense the product, how to apply, and stressed not to apply straight from the jar. Needless to say, I walked in to see the girls applying it straight from the jar, and not even with their own brushes but the stem from the brush in the jar cap (I'd removed to brush end to keep them from doing this)! How people can't see the hazard in things like that I don't know.

Aug 16 06 11:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Mah-Lee-Suh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

although i love carmindy's mu she is totally cross-contaminating every time!!! ew!

i have one tho....

i was in esthetics class, near the end, we were practicing state board exams which consisted of: a facial, waxing, and makeup application.
by the time we got to the makeup my partner decided to blow on my face b/c e/s was falling on my cheeks!!!! omg! i could smell her lunch too!! so gross!!! i shivered in my chair!

Aug 26 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

HaliSF

San Mateo, California, US

I have tons of stories.
Recently, I was at a LA Sephora...
I had all these bags so the chick thought I was a rich tourist. 
She was trying to get me to buy stuff. I said no, no, no.  Like,  many times!
I just wanted to check out some Nars stuff.
She followed me around telling me how great cargo was... I was like Shhhhh!!
I turn my back on her releasing her from her retail duty to hassle me! lol
While I'm scraping a layer off the darkest nars shadow I can find......
I see her helping a group of  young girls and another group of older women.
Each group was using the same sponges, wands, and pencils.
She was smiling, and helping them all put It on.  Gross!
**I forgot to mention that she was also a freelance makeup artist.**

Aug 28 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jackie Lund:Lund Studio

Puyallup, Washington, US

Kevin-James Bennett wrote:

99% alcohol will clean, disinfect and dry very quickly.

Is this a good method for cleaning makeup brushes too?  I've heard that you can use luke warm water and mild soap to clean the brushes then lay them flat to dry.  Is there a preferred way?

Thanks,
Jackie

Sep 03 06 04:02 pm Link

Model

TheresaCosmeticsCouture

San Francisco, California, US

Quick cleaning--Sephora Makeup Brush Cleansing Wipes (kills bacteria, but I'd still clean a foundation brush or concealer brush with water)

Weekly Bath--mild shampoo or facial cleanser; nothing harsh like dish soap. Lie flat to dry.

Two things I haven't tried but want to--there's a new Laura Mercier brush Cleanser you can spray on for quick cleansing or cleanse using it without water, and a Sephora Spray on Brush cleanser you leave on overnight.

The bath is always nice for them--if I'm doing makeup more often I will give them a bath more often, otherwise the cleansing wipes are great when you are doing multiple looks/ on the go.

Sep 03 06 10:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Alma Adamson

Manhattan Beach, California, US

MY horror story happened when I was working with other couple of make-up artists on a music video set. It was a real hot day, no a/c on this house in July. So the talents were sweating a lot and whenever called for the touch ups inside the place, we basically needed to clean the sweat off on the singers for most of the day, they were all male so just some powder afterwards was enough. I was using tons of Kleenex tisssues, to do the job. But the other two MUAs would use this face cotton towell all the time. I never saw them changing this towell, they kept blotting different people with just ONE towell for all over and over. I couldn't believe my eyes!!! If this is not gross then I don't know what else!!!
I wished to say something, but they were not friendly at all to start with. I'm really not a noisy kind of person, so I didn't want to start something by complaining to others, I thought it was better to just shut up and do my job, which I did by being proud of my own ethic codes. I wonder if any of the singers had any problems after this shoot, I don't think I'll ever know ...

Sep 03 06 11:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer ReCasino MUA

San Antonio, Texas, US

Angelah_ wrote:

GROSS!  The only time I reuse fake lashes is when they are on myself.  Hell, I've used one pair over 15 times already, hahah.  But to switch them from girl to girl is so disgusting.

Switching from person to person is completely disgusting!  Like you said, I reuse lashes on myself... and if I know I am going to work witha model more then once, I will also save and reuse lashes for them as well (I just clean and label them), or after the shoot I will let the model keep the lashes.

Sep 04 06 12:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer ReCasino MUA

San Antonio, Texas, US

EmElle wrote:

Double post, sorry.

Sep 04 06 12:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jennifer ReCasino MUA

San Antonio, Texas, US

EmElle wrote:

Ooops, I just said this.  But it's nice to see I'm not the only one smile!

Sep 04 06 12:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beaute en couleurs

Chicago, Illinois, US

My horror story is when i was still practising my make-up skills, i had an offer to go to apply makeup in fashion show, so this professional makeup artist she assists us, i was applying makeup on models using cotton balls to take certain amount of blush or either eyeshadow, Since i had this large variety of colors, the PMUA ask if she can use it too suddenly 2 MUAS were using My stuff and right from their brushs to my pallette, That was the Grossest story!!!!!

Sep 04 06 06:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Cotton balls to apply makeup?  Brushes are fine if you are keeping them clean, and the product is dry.

Sep 04 06 06:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Yeah- I woulnt think you'd get much control from cotton balls.

Possibly I have been missing something all along?

Sep 04 06 07:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

using mascara wands right from the tube is very common and its disgusting and as a model it would be a get up and walk out time for me.  Sorry, the money isnt worth risking your health.

Sep 04 06 08:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beaute en couleurs

Chicago, Illinois, US

EmElle wrote:
Cotton balls to apply makeup?  Brushes are fine if you are keeping them clean, and the product is dry.

Ofcourse the brushes are cleanm but sometimes you need more eyeshadow so you dont want to put the brush back on the eyeshadow palette....

Sep 04 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

OK I think I am pretty hygenic when it comes to this... Tell me if I am missing anything when I do it PLEASE!!!

Before shoot

Sanitize brushes with alcohol in front of the model- I spray it directly on top of them so the mist will cover all of the brush

Right before I shoot I wash my hands really good and make sure the model knows that I am going to do it.

during shoot

Use little scraping things to get my lipstick out blend on another scaper thingy

disposable mascara wands or I use the models mascara
use sponges for foundation
if I use a disposable lip brush I use spereate ones for each dip.

after shoot

Clean brushes with brush cleaning wipes
Sanitize by spraying with alcohol
lightly mist all compact powders with alcohol and scrape off..

I also wash them once every couple months as needed.

Please if I am missing any important steps let me know!!!

Sep 04 06 08:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beaute en couleurs

Chicago, Illinois, US

Roshar wrote:
Yeah- I woulnt think you'd get much control from cotton balls.

Possibly I have been missing something all along?

well i understand!! but this is what i learned from school!!

Sep 04 06 08:20 pm Link