Forums > General Industry > Can short models make it in the industry?

Model

Ashleigh Wong

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm sure that many of you have seen the America's Next Top Model Cycle where there were a whole bunch of short girls. I would have totally auditioned for that, but unfortunately, I'm Canadian and Canada's Next Top Model no longer exists...

I've been feverishly researching how short models (those who were not blessed with even reaching 5"5) can make it in this industry. Can anybody tell me how I can get started or which Canadian agencies accept 'short' models? I'm also wondering how I can get specifically into doing beauty shots for pay.

Any input would be helpful!

Jun 08 11 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

aaaaaaaaaac

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

Shorter models can make it but they have to try incredibly hard, make alot of contacts and be willing to shoot up to art nude I'd say, that's if you want to get more paid work anyway.

Jun 08 11 03:32 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

can they? sure

is it so incredibly unlikely that you could just as well say it is impossible? yes

should that stop you from having a good time doing photoshoots and modelling? hell no smile

Jun 08 11 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Hi Ashleigh -

This "industry" is not monolithic.  You will not likely get offers to do high fashion.  But there is no reason that you cannot model outside of that constraint in a wide variety of genres.

Instead of looking for photographers or fate to decide your direction as a model, look deep withing yourself, and objectively *at* yourself.  Evaluate what you have to offer in terms of your appearance, your skills, your passion, your willingness to devote time and effort.  Develop a "mission statement" for yourself as a model - what are you trying to accomplish, how do you want to be thought of, or "categorized". 

You can create a niche for yourself in the modeling industry. Be patient. And think about what you get into.  For example, if early in your career, you start to offer nudity as a way of being noticed, that is the great majority of what photographers are going to seek you out for.  Maybe that would be just fine with you but give it some thought.

But I can tell you that if your goal is to start getting paid for modeling before putting in your dues and developing yourself as a model and the way(s) you present yourself, you are likely to be disappointed. 

Rather, I would suggest that *you* be willing to pay photographers, makeup artists, stylists etc in order to develop a smashing portfolio and give us the tools to imagine a roll for you in our projects.

Best of luck

Jun 08 11 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Planet of the Arches

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

There is no given either way. I know quite a few tall, exceptionally beautiful models who are no longer in the industry. They did a few fashion or runway shows, but no agency picked them up. They also never landed any major campaigns.

Jun 08 11 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Ashleigh Wong wrote:
Can short models make it in the industry?

NO!

The answer is NO.

Feel free to work your ass off to prove that statement wrong (and I will be super happy for you and impressed by you, if you do) but NO, you will not achieve success in the mainstream modeling industry.

Having now shattered your dreams of standing next to Tyra on a red carpet somewhere . . .

there are plenty of "non-industry" modeling opportunities available for shorter models.  Decide for yourself what you want to do with modeling but be realistic.  The chances of you walking, for Christian Dior, on a Milan runway during fashion week are about 3000000 zillion to 1.  The chances of you being in a non-fashion magazine?  Pretty good.  Work at it.  Learn your craft.  Figure out what your niche is (and/or should be) and promote yourself.

Jun 08 11 03:40 pm Link

Model

Queen_of_Hearts

Dallas, Texas, US

Of course. But in the right niche.
Obviously short models would more than likely not be able to break into high fashion.
However, if you free lance in glamour, fetish, nudes, parts modeling, makeup, hair, etc., become well established, there is no reason you wouldn't make it into a career.
You have to really want it.

Jun 08 11 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

In the Fashion Industry, absolutely not.

But in THIS industry of Nudes, Implied and Artistic Nudes: most defintely.

And like in Any industry... you gotta Work It.  ;-)

-JULIAN

Jun 08 11 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

Your question is too vague. Define "the industry" and you will find it much easier to answer that question. There are niches for all types of models. Many of those, however, are not mainstream commercial and fashion.

Jun 08 11 03:49 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Stephen Markman wrote:

NO!

The answer is NO.

Feel free to work your ass off to prove that statement wrong (and I will be super happy for you and impressed by you, if you do) but NO, you will not achieve success in the mainstream modeling industry.

Having now shattered your dreams of standing next to Tyra on a red carpet somewhere . . .

there are plenty of "non-industry" modeling opportunities available for shorter models.  Decide for yourself what you want to do with modeling but be realistic.  The chances of you walking, for Christian Dior, on a Milan runway during fashion week are about 3000000 zillion to 1.  The chances of you being in a non-fashion magazine?  Pretty good.  Work at it.  Learn your craft.  Figure out what your niche is (and/or should be) and promote yourself.

while I understand what you're trying to say, I really disagree with it. she could be 6'0, living in New York, 16 years old, perfect measurements, photogenic as hell.. and it still would not be ANY guarantee that she would "make" it in this industry. NONE.

Jun 08 11 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Marianne Michaela wrote:

while I understand what you're trying to say, I really disagree with it. she could be 6'0, living in New York, 16 years old, perfect measurements, photogenic as hell.. and it still would not be ANY guarantee that she would "make" it in this industry. NONE.

With which part of my comments do you disagree?

If she were "6'0, living in New York, 16 years old, perfect measurements, photogenic as hell" I wouldn't have said "3000000 zillion to 1" - I would have said a million to 1.

Jun 08 11 03:54 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Stephen Markman wrote:

With which part of my comments do you disagree?

If she were "6'0, living in New York, 16 years old, perfect measurements, photogenic as hell" I wouldn't have said "3000000 zillion to 1" - I would have said a million to 1.

a million to 1 is still virtually impossible. would you tell someone to go for it if they had a chance of a million to 1?

Jun 08 11 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Depends on which "industry" you're talking about.

Pretty much anyone can make a living in the fetish industry if they market themselves properly.

The fashion industry has some specific requirements that only a small percentage of people fit into.

Jun 08 11 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Pearlman

Los Angeles, California, US

As others have said, not in fashion, but in commercial print, some editorial, tradeshows, etc. Usually things where you're selling or being an accessory to, something other than clothing. If you go to a tradeshow like SEMA in Vegas or elsewhere, you're likely to see plenty of petite models signing posters for auto parts companies or music companies. If you look through magazines like American Curves or Playboy or Maxim, you'll see shorter models. If you see billboards or magazine ads for orange juice or iPads, it doesn't really matter how tall the model is. The problem, is how do you get that work? First, most of that kind of work (I'm speaking of the commercial/advertising jobs), are cast in the major cities where the work is done - LA, Chicago, some Miami & NY. Actually Vancouver probably as a fairly good market for that. Second, you have to get a good book together - you have a few really cute headshots to start with. Third, you have to contact every model agency you can find and probably convince them to take a chance with you. Fourth, network. Take it upon yourself to meet photographers, go to tradeshows and hand out your card and act like you are your own agent, at least (and probably after) you get one (which will be very hard because there are so few agencies that accept petite models). Its a lot of hustle, but I've know quite a few girls here in LA, who were fairly successful for many years, with heights ranging from 5'3" to 5'6" (most of the girls in my calendars are in that range). But these girls made connections, were fit, were always ready to go, and did all sorts of odd jobs.

For example, one girl who I met when she was 18, was still modeling at 35. She is Hispanic, petite, and has a great face and curvy figure and AMAZING personality. Aside from modeling she was a cheerleader for the Raiders when they were in LA, made a lot of connections, and started doing promotions for Miller Beer (in nightclubs and bars), and eventually got to the point where she was supervising all the other models before she got married and retired from the biz. A girlfriend of hers who didn't do the cheerleader thing, had a similar career - did tons of fitness and swimwear catalogs, conventions, posters for all sorts of products, she was a Miss Makita - twice - and was only 5'3". But as I said, the things these girls had in common were personality,  perseverance, great faces & figures, and they were in LA, which at the time, was where the work was for their look. (And BTW, neither one ever did nudes. although one was on the cover of a Playboy Special Edition doing an implied nude).

Jun 08 11 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Marianne Michaela wrote:

a million to 1 is still virtually impossible. would you tell someone to go for it if they had a chance of a million to 1?

It won't hurt to try if she has the stats but most don't get signed anyway no matter the stats if they don't have the 'look" the agency wants. Even if a model gets signed at a fashion agency, how many actually make it big much less make a living with it?

Jun 08 11 04:02 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Jeff Fiore wrote:

It won't hurt to try if she has the stats but most don't get signed anyway no matter the stats if they don't have the 'look" the agency wants. Even if a model gets signed at a fashion agency, how many actually make it big much less make a living with it?

exactly wink

so the OP probably won't make it. not even because she's short, simply because most people don't make it.

Jun 08 11 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Marianne Michaela wrote:

I would tell her that she'd be better off trying to become a doctor or a lawyer or a teacher or a plumber.

BUT, if she has her head set on "giving it a shot" - I see no harm in encouraging someone to pursue a reasonable dream.

If she were "6'0, living in New York, 16 years old, perfect measurements, photogenic as hell" she'd be in the same boat as the millions of other women, vying to get signed and vying for the good modeling jobs.  But, with those statistics, she'd --at least-- have a fighting chance.

Either way, given her actual stats, I don't think I've filled her with any false hope.  Do you?

Jun 08 11 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

what exactly is THE INDUSTRY?  i don't know much about it first-hand, but i do know i have seen models as short as 4'11'' here that i would pay to shoot.

Jun 08 11 04:14 pm Link

Model

Model Citizen 84

Bearcreek, Montana, US

Jun 08 11 04:14 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Stephen Markman wrote:

I would tell her that she'd be better off trying to become a doctor or a lawyer or a teacher or a plumber.

BUT, if she has her head set on "giving it a shot" - I see no harm in encouraging someone to pursue a reasonable dream.

If she were "6'0, living in New York, 16 years old, perfect measurements, photogenic as hell" she'd be in the same boat as the millions of other women, vying to get signed and vying for the good modeling jobs.  But, with those statistics, she'd --at least-- have a fighting chance.

Either way, given her actual stats, I don't think I've filled her with any false hope.  Do you?

oh no, indeed smile. I replied as wel l saying it's pretty much impossible. i also get what you were trying to say, I just made the remark because I see people saying similar things all the time wink

Jun 08 11 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Olivia Clemens  wrote:
I think I'm proportioned pretty much the same as taller models, I'm just small... And the camera can't often tell that unless you're posing with others, right?

exactly...well, theoretically. the give away tends to be the size of head to the body. but that doesn't matter to me.

Jun 08 11 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Olivia Clemens  wrote:
ALSO, I'd be interested to hear from photographers what they think the advantage is in working with tall models?

Longer limbs and neck are instantly more aesthetically interesting. Smaller head in relation to the body. Easier to create a sense of motion and dynamic tension in the frame.

Jun 08 11 04:25 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Olivia Clemens  wrote:
ALSO, I'd be interested to hear from photographers what they think the advantage is in working with tall models? A lot of photographers on here will state in their profiles that they aren't interested in working with models under 5'7", etc... why? I get it if you're only interested in being an agency photographer, but are there other advantages? I think I'm proportioned pretty much the same as taller models, I'm just small... And the camera can't often tell that unless you're posing with others, right? Just curious...

clothes also fall different when you're tall compared to when you're short. they just do. so it shows immediately in a picture

Jun 08 11 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Diana Santisteban

Miami, Florida, US

For fashion i dont book short models. I like the elegancy of long legs and longer bodies, they fit the clothes better specially long dresses.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     For beauty shoots, i book shorter girls. If i really love a models look i dont care if they are a bit shorter. However, 5'3 & bellow is really unlike I would book.

Jun 08 11 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Diana Santisteban

Miami, Florida, US

Also, I would like to note that some models who are shorter photograph a lot taller. It really depends on how they carry themselves.

Jun 08 11 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dakota Art Nudes

Long Prairie, Minnesota, US

One of the most amazing models I have ever worked with was 4'9" so yes short os ok.

Jun 08 11 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

The OP is very pretty but she doesn't do nudes or lingerie and
wants payment if she has to travel more then 45 minutes to a shoot.
I don't see much or any paid work in her future.   Look, real world
agencies often struggle to find work for their models who are 5'8" and
taller.   The world is filled with short and tall beautiful women many
of whom would love to make money as models.

Being short and having restrictions on what you'll shoot spells doom
for paid work IMHO.

Jun 08 11 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Dakota Art Nudes wrote:
One of the most amazing models I have ever worked with was 4'9" so yes short os ok.

how much does she make in a given year?

did she do nudes?

Jun 08 11 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus

New York, New York, US

Stephen Markman wrote:

NO!

The answer is NO.

+1 if the OP meant industry as in fashion modeling.

Jun 08 11 05:16 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

>_< there's 109230939 threads on this.. research it smile It will be very helpful.

Jun 08 11 05:18 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

go naked. it's working for me

Jun 08 11 05:18 pm Link

Model

cameryn coxxx

Delray Beach, Florida, US

yes, have to work harder, and most of your paid shoots will be glamour/nude etc. film is also good for petites

Jun 08 11 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Alisyn Carliene wrote:
go naked. it's working for me

Jun 08 11 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Olivia Clemens  wrote:
ALSO, I'd be interested to hear from photographers what they think the advantage is in working with tall models? A lot of photographers on here will state in their profiles that they aren't interested in working with models under 5'7", etc... why? I get it if you're only interested in being an agency photographer, but are there other advantages? I think I'm proportioned pretty much the same as taller models, I'm just small... And the camera can't often tell that unless you're posing with others, right? Just curious...

Any perceived "discrimination" against shorter models did not originate with photographers.  I've posted this many times before.  It did not originate with photographers, nor did it originate with modeling agencies nor did it originate with Vogue or Cosmo.

The "discrimination" was created by fashion designers who all got together and decided to come up with a uniform "sample size" for their fashions.  Their fashions are all designed in a manner that is BEST shown off by women of a particular size.  THAT size is what now dictates which women (and, in some case, "girls") the modeling agencies seek.  THAT size is what dictates who gets to walk on the runways during fashion week.  THAT size is what separates the Super Models from the rest of the female population; which includes many of the very beautiful and talented models on this site who may make money as models but will never be part of the modeling "Industry."

From a photographic standpoint, you are --in some respect-- correct.  Using the right angles, lighting and post-processing, I can make a 5'6" or 5'7" model appear to be six feet tall (see: 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22798854, for example.)  Similarly, if a model has the correct proportions, you can take an even shorter model and make her look "industry"-sized (e.g. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17335511 )

To be clear, the size issue has far LESS to do with photography and far MORE to do with live fashion modeling - and the ability to fit designer clothing onto the model.

Dakota Art Nudes wrote:

I was unaware that South Dakota was the new hotbed of the fashion industry.

Perhaps you're referring to the hiring and shooting of internet models for personal art/glamour/fetish/editorial/erotica projects, in which case, you can find good models in MANY places.  But, to my knowledge, there is no notable modeling "industry" in South Dakota.

Jun 08 11 05:42 pm Link

Model

-Aviva-

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

It depends on what you mean by "industry", as modeling is very fragmented and whether or not you will "make it" depends on how realistic your expectations are, your goals, your own definition of "making it" and also there are certain factors that you cannot control, such as market demand/preferences.

I was fortunate enough to interview Isobella Jade who is the exception to the rule when it comes to petite modeling and she stated that it did not come easy. In her interview, Isobella talked about what it is like to be a short girl trying to model. She also emphasized commercial print modeling as opposed to editorial fashion for short girls. In fact, I believe that she made it that far in the industry because she wrote a book about it in a very unique way and got a lot of news coverage.

So, ultimately, all I'm saying is that there is not a single answer as to whether or not you will make it, as every girl's situation is unique. There are certain things that you can do to take an approach to modeling that can yield better results, but ultimately it is very uncertain/unpredictable. There is a lot of competition, and a lot of a model's success depends to a certain degree on who she knows (that's already established in the industry), as well as the market she is trying to enter/the suitability of her look for that particular market.

To mitigate your risk of not "making it": network with people, be realistic, be open to other opportunities, and always have a back up plan. 

Good luck,
Aviva
www.ahlifeandstyle.com

Jun 08 11 05:55 pm Link

Model

Dina Ova

Arlington, Virginia, US

how short?if you are 4/9 i would say no

5/6 is still short

Jun 09 11 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

What industry?

Jun 10 11 03:32 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

shorter? sure .... short? no
fashion... no
swimsuit/lingerie... yes
alternative/web model/nudes... yes

and like Chip was eluding too, longer limbs and necks are necessary.

Jun 10 11 07:54 am Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

For high fashion/runway? No.

For commercial, beauty, petite fashions, nude and everyday work? Yes.

And no, you don't have to do nudes either. There's plenty of us making it full time with a lot of work. Getting published and regular paid jobs with no nudity, more pay with it. That is the answer to your question.

Ignore the one sided opinions. Unless someone is short and making a living at it, then the others are giving their opinion and what they think is going on in the world. Not everything in modeling is high fashion and meant for tall thin girls only.

Always makes me laugh how many say no and forget it immediately. I am living proof that YES it is possible for shorties.

Jun 10 11 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Shirley Zhong

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Short models can make modeling as a career and be successful, but please take note that this does not applies if you're thinking of fashion. Fashion will always requires taller girls (5'9 and above) because designers made their clothes that way. Tall models look better and showcase the clothes better.

Any models you see in the industry modeling fashion and yet does not belong to the 5'9 group, they most likely are either celebrities or they were discovered when they were very young like 13, 14 years old and their agents expected them to grow taller, but unfortunately didn't, but by then they already made a name for themselves and so their fame continue to book jobs for them. Please do not mistake it as industry making any exceptions for shorter models.

Jun 10 11 08:06 am Link