Forums > Model Colloquy > Touching the Models

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:

What if there's nobody else on set and something needs adjusting that you can't do yourself? If the photographer politely asks if he/she can do it will you still refuse?

Part of the business of being a model is getting used to being pushed, prodded, tweaked and adjusted like a mannequin in a window by pretty much all and sundry. If you have an objection to being touched or in some way feel that a photographer who needs to adjust something is automatically a pervert or creep then perhaps you should reconsider whether you're really cut out to be a model?

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Aug 20 11 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:

What if there's nobody else on set and something needs adjusting that you can't do yourself? If the photographer politely asks if he/she can do it will you still refuse?

Part of the business of being a model is getting used to being pushed, prodded, tweaked and adjusted like a mannequin in a window by pretty much all and sundry. If you have an objection to being touched or in some way feel that a photographer who needs to adjust something is automatically a pervert or creep then perhaps you should reconsider whether you're really cut out to be a model?

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

/thread.

seriously. nothing else needs to be said.

Aug 20 11 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Jack Heniford

York, South Carolina, US

I shake hands, that's all  I'll give directions, move hair or  whatever but the model does it.

Aug 20 11 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Doug Lester wrote:
Is there a woman alive who can not tell the difference between being touched to set a pose and being groped?

This.

Aug 20 11 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

InnaDaVida wrote:
I will let a MUA, stylist, wardrobe designer touch me during a shoot but never the photographer.

What is your policy on touching?

my policy is to try and avoid working with women like this!

This is why men are way easier to work with!

Aug 20 11 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

glamourglenn

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Blue Rose Photos wrote:
This is why men are way easier to work with!

something different about a man. i'm not sure what it is exactly, but something seems to stick out.

Aug 20 11 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

good touch

Shaking hands with other models

bad touch

Touching her with a 10 foot pole

:-p

Aug 20 11 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

glamourglenn wrote:
something different about a man. i'm not sure what it is exactly, but something seems to stick out.

also note . . . I'm gay! but the not flaming type lol I mostly work with straight guys too.

Aug 20 11 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Blue Rose Photos wrote:
good touch

Shaking hands with other models

bad touch

Touching her with a 10 foot pole

:-p

10 foot pole... I'd settle for, uh, never mind...

(I know we were all thinking it...)

Aug 20 11 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

good comeback. i just give them a cold can of coke. saves me some effort. lol.

Photo Visions wrote:
It's a joke!!!

edit---I only tweak the nipples of the models i am sleeping with.

Aug 20 11 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

And believe it or no but some photographers may not be into the model sexually! SHOCKING!!!

Aug 20 11 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Blue Rose Photos wrote:
And believe it or no but some photographers my not be into the model sexually! SHOCKING!!!

Wow, that IS shocking. Maybe it's time for me to change my work ethic.

Aug 20 11 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

JSL wrote:

Ya you know me... The gay guy always touching the female models to get in their pants. Just like the gay makeup artist and the gay hair stylist! lol

Aug 20 11 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

InnaDaVida wrote:
I will let a MUA, stylist, wardrobe designer touch me during a shoot but never the photographer.

Just curious, what makes those job holders different than a photographer in regards to touching you?

Aug 20 11 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

glamourglenn

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

JSL wrote:

++++++++++++++100

Aug 20 11 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

I just say "Hey, I'm going to (whatever needs to be done)" and do it.  It's a professional environment and all the models I've worked with understand that.  We've no time for games and being overly cautious of one's space.  If I need to move your hair, I'll say "Hey, there's a weird hair sticking out, lemme move it real quick" and I do it.  Used to ask models to fix everything but it was wasted time talking/explaining and 9 out of 10 just tell me to do it myself.  Of course, some touching is obviously not gonna happen...like touching breasts, face, butt, etc.  But clipping clothing and touching your waist or hips, moving hair, shoulder, etc....all a possibility I'm gonna do it if it's necessary.

Aug 20 11 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

yeah, i saw a thread the other day which suggested that pervy lesbians are even more aggressive than pervy hetero males.

the sad fact is some photographers do take advantage (at least if you believe the postings in the model forum plus i've heard of some things from models) so i can't say i blame models for being wary.

Professor Oni wrote:
Just curious, what makes those job holders different than a photographer in regards to touching you?

Aug 20 11 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

T-D-L wrote:
I just say "Hey, I'm going to (whatever needs to be done)" and do it.  It's a professional environment and all the models I've worked with understand that.  We've no time for games and being overly cautious of one's space.  If I need to move your hair, I'll say "Hey, there's a weird hair sticking out, lemme move it real quick" and I do it.  Used to ask models to fix everything but it was wasted time talking/explaining and 9 out of 10 just tell me to do it myself.  Of course, some touching is obviously not gonna happen...like touching breasts, face, butt, etc.  But clipping clothing and touching your waist or hips, moving hair, shoulder, etc....all a possibility I'm gonna do it if it's necessary.

Your approach is way too logical for this place... wink

Aug 20 11 04:05 pm Link

Model

YvonneEmilie

Brooklyn, New York, US

Here's something I thought of....

Working with other people is all about compromise, right?  No matter what type of business you are in (or hobby) if you work with someone else, someone is going to have to compromise eventually.   That's just the nature of human relationships.

It really seems reasonable to me, that if a photographer is used to touching a model without asking, and a model is uncomfortable with that, that the photographer compromise and ask before touching.

And vice versa.  If a model is used to never being touched ever, but the photographer likes to adjust clothing, hair, etc himself, then it seems reasonable to me that the model compromise and let the photographer adjust things/touch in a non-grope-y way.  And if the model did her reference checks, she should have at least some level of trust that the photographer in question will not touch her to grope.

If a model can't compromise like that...then she/he is probably in the wrong business.

I compromise on my shoots all the time.  If I'm going to compromise on reasonable things, I expect other people I'm working with to be willing to compromise as well.  I'm not talking about serious compromises, but small things.

Aug 20 11 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

*palmface*

Im sorry, but comedic scenarios, involving a photographer wearing a hazmat suit or a full body condom just came to mind.

I wonder, if instead of making up silly criteria, rules, ect, people actually just act professional and get work done?

Aug 20 11 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Norman Gould

North Bend, Oregon, US

Yah really, If you can not tell the difference between appropriate or not..who is going to teach you?  I go through most shoots without any touching...because it is not needed and I know this is an issue so go with the flow. 
I know my mind is not into cheep thrills,  so I do not ponder this. 
Working outdoors I offer a hand to help navigate the landscape about half the models like this; about half do not want this.

So whatever.
In any situation I find understanding another person's boundaries to be the best way to relate to other people.

Aug 20 11 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

After reading enough of these threads, I know that touching the model is inappropriate.

That's why I just touch myself instead.

Aug 20 11 04:20 pm Link

Model

Temika Sales

Morisset, New South Wales, Australia

liindsay ann wrote:
Doesn't matter, as long as it's professional and necessary..

smile

Aug 20 11 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

I don't often reply to these forums, yet this can be answered very simple if your intentions are honest than don't worry about it. If the model is uncomfortable than why are you shooting together in the first place.

It is very rare for good shots to be taken when the photographer and model can't trust each other.

Aug 20 11 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

InnaDaVida wrote:

I usually ask the model if they mind if I make some adjustments if necessary.

I wonder what your rationale behind this is? Seems pretty naive to me.

Aug 20 11 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

Mark G Bissell wrote:
It is very rare for good shots to be taken when the photographer and model can't trust each other.

well shoot, that kind of ends the debate, now dosnt it?

Aug 20 11 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shankhadreams

San Francisco, California, US

InnaDaVida wrote:

I have to touch models occasionally to adjust a pose or outfit and I have never had issues. Most of my shoots are with a team of people and there is never any awkwardness... i don't think its a black and white rule, it depends on what is shoot about and the intention of the contact.

Just my 0.02

Shankha

Aug 20 11 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

InnaDaVida wrote:

OMG, I can't believe it took me this long to come up with the perfect answer...

My policy? Models can touch me all they want!!!

And the MUAs and the rest of the gang if they're cute and have nice boobs.

Aug 20 11 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Mnemosyne Photography wrote:
After reading enough of these threads, I know that touching the model is inappropriate.

That's why I just touch myself instead.

Sage advice, indeed.

Aug 20 11 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ironically I let the same people touch me during s shoot to but I am careful to never touch myself.

Sometimes I wonder why this site uses the word professional in it's tag line...

Aug 20 11 04:40 pm Link

Model

Ash Shariff

London, England, United Kingdom

If they wanted to move me but couldn't articulate it properly then I wouldn't mind.

as long as they didn't try rearrange my facial expression or something then it's ok as long as they ask you

Aug 20 11 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

To honest, I'm a very "touchy" person.  I hug my people, I pat them on the back, etc.  But once the shoot starts I try my damnedest NOT to touch the model.  I really don't want her feeling that she's a product to be pushed about and manipulated this way and that.  She IS, but that's not something I want to communicated strongly during a shoot. I want to give her some space; enough space to feel comfortable and enough space to give her the feeling that she has some control over her body and her actions.  I find, the more of this kind of space I give them the more proactive, the more present, the more responcilble about the shoot they seem to be.

And that's just me.  ;-)

-JULIAN

PS. In an effort at full disclosure, I confess I have KISSED my make-up artist in the middle of the shoot because her work was so AWESOME!  ;-)

Aug 20 11 04:51 pm Link

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So if a photographer tries to shake your hand, you tell them not to touch you?

Sometimes it is okay to be touched. Just as long as they don't slap you. ;P

Aug 20 11 04:54 pm Link

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Julian  W I L D E wrote:
To honest, I'm a very "touchy" person.  I hug my people, I pat them on the back, etc.  But once the shoot starts I try my damnedest NOT to touch the model.  I really don't want her feeling that she's a product to be pushed about and manipulated this way and that.  She IS, but that's not something I want to communicated strongly during a shoot. I want to give her some space; enough space to feel comfortable and enough space to give her the feeling that she has some control over her body and her actions.  I find, the more of this kind of space I give them the more proactive, the more present, the more responcilble about the shoot they seem to be.

And that's just me.  ;-)

-JULIAN

+1

I say, if you don't like being touched. Don't work with me. I am a touchy person too. I understand some people do not like being touched and that is okay, just don't work with me. It is okay to hug people, give a kiss on the check and shake a persons hand.

Aug 20 11 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Janos - wrote:
So if a photographer tries to shake your hand, you tell them not to touch you?

Sometimes it is okay to be touched. Just as long as they don't slap you. ;P

No Janos you are suppose to run away screaming if the photographer tries to shake your hand.  We are in fact highly radio active as some models know.  Even close proximity to us can kill kittens several miles away...

Aug 20 11 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

AJScalzitti wrote:
No Janos you are suppose to run away screaming if the photographer tries to shake your hand.

There's a rather amusing scene playing over in my head right now. smile

Aug 20 11 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

I have no problem with touching a Model.  I do cover that in the discussion prior to the actual shoot.

I ask if they mind and if they know the difference between a touch to adjust and a cheap feel.

Aug 20 11 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brightonian

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

If I see something which needs moving and it's only me and the model I simply ask if they are ok with me udjusting something - which could involve me touching them

I'm been shooting pictures for about 50 years and I have NEVER had a model say no

They realise that you are looking at the picture and you can see what needs moving and they can't - so what's the sense in asking them to adjust something?

Maybe it's because I ask in a profesional way and not some creepy way which makes all the diffence

Aug 20 11 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

La Zona Imagery

Portland, Oregon, US

InnaDaVida wrote:

My policy is that I will let a model touch me if it is absolutely neccesary...and only if the model is smoking hot.

Aug 20 11 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jesse Greene

Houston, Texas, US

If you're a model and don't want to be "Touched" by the person shooting you MALE OR FEMALE you might wanna consider a new hobby. And by "Touched" I mean in a professional way. If you're a guy posing as a photographer just to fondle people that act is gonna get old really quick... People talk.

Aug 20 11 05:11 pm Link