Forums > Model Colloquy > Touching the Models

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Try to avoid touching models with anything other than your hand...

Aug 21 11 06:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Andrew Jay Williams

New York, New York, US

Shane Noir wrote:
Yeah.... 2 seconds of getting hair out of the way saves 30 minutes of work in photoshop-- per strand!

You're kidding, right? If it takes you 30 mins for one strand of hair, you should just stop now and hire a retoucher.

Aug 21 11 07:23 pm Link

Model

Kitty_Valentine

Basildon, England, United Kingdom

I really don't see the big fuss with not allowing the photographer to touch you. Obviously, if it's in a professional manner, then why are you complaining?
C'mon, you are meant to be a model. You'd get laughed at in the real world.

I'm not here to bitch, have a cat fight or whatever. But, really darling? wink

Aug 21 11 07:41 pm Link

Model

Kitty_Valentine

Basildon, England, United Kingdom

Natural Touch Studios wrote:

You're kidding, right? If it takes you 30 mins for one strand of hair, you should just stop now and hire a retoucher.

+1

Aug 21 11 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Only if your brain is in the gutter or your manners and sensitivity are atrocious, should touching be an issue. Having said that, if you have a make-up artist and hairdresser present and they've ever done a shoot before, there should be absolutely no need to be straightening hair or adjusting clothing, it's not your job, you're the director.
You direct, that's being a photographer, you call the shots, literally. So if touching appears unnecessary or particularly hard-working of the photographer, I might smile indeed.

Having said this, pace to a shoot can be important and models often prefer the photographer to sort something out quickly than break the flow of the shooting.

As for shibari, I've yet to tie someone up without touching them, oops, sorry...

Aug 21 11 07:44 pm Link

Model

InnaDaVida

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Kitty_Valentine wrote:
I really don't see the big fuss with not allowing the photographer to touch you. Obviously, if it's in a professional manner, then why are you complaining?
C'mon, you are meant to be a model. You'd get laughed at in the real world.

I'm not here to bitch, have a cat fight or whatever. But, really darling? wink

I see where you have your tatoos and why you are comfortable being touched.

Aug 21 11 07:47 pm Link

Model

Nedah Oyin

Chicago, Illinois, US

InnaDaVida wrote:

What is this supposed to mean..?

Aug 21 11 08:03 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

EFT Digital Photography wrote:

Wow I actually have a 19 year old kid telling me I'm wrong,my battle is not lost,your the one that pretty much have no clue what your talking about.Make your travels around the world a few times and then come back to me and defend yourself.Wow a 19 year old
   If you give someone the okay to touch you then you'll be the one that pays the piper,everyone in the world isn't that polite,you'll never know when you run into that one person that'll try to go further than he or she will.
   It's pretty bad when the world finds itself having a 19 year old kids telling someone that 3 times older than me she knows more.All I gotta say is God help us in the future.If you a graduate from law school that has passed your bar exame then speak until then get your facts right and then open your mouth.

Oh I'm sorry I guess my travels to various European countries and learning on my own of as many cultures of the world as I can, along with the common sense my family has instilled in me, yeah me being so young I'm obviously too stupid to understand anything having to do with my gender primarily. Oh, and I'm sorry did YOU go to law school? Feel free to show me your degree that explains you having such a vast knowledge that in your PM to me deems America's Next Top Model as a viable form of the modeling industry. I'd honestly be amazed if you are married, because with that logic, you would have had "assaulted" your own wife by just kissing her cheek. =_= Seriously, look at your logic and think in that terms. You're pretty much saying no one should ever touch anyone.

Aug 21 11 08:03 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Matthew Faircloth wrote:

They would never tell you why they chose another candidate. Its also discrimination if they choose a woman over a man because shes a woman.

It was the only fitting example I thought of off the top of my head, and I know it goes both ways. But even with that, there's no reasoning with this guy. hmm

Aug 21 11 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if it's a big strand and it goes through the eye i find that tedious to fix.

Natural Touch Studios wrote:

Aug 21 11 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Outlaw Of Light

Baltimore, Maryland, US

InnaDaVida wrote:
I will let a MUA, stylist, wardrobe designer touch me during a shoot but never the photographer.

What is your policy on touching?

Totally Hilarious!!! This Can Be Solved Easily, If You Think Every Photographer Craves To Get Their Hand Upon You, Then Maybe You Should Invest In A Camera And Get Your MUA, Stylist, Or Wardrobe Designer To Shoot You!!!

Think I Am Extreme Well In The Words Of Roddy Piper, "You Have Not Seen Nothing Yet."

Figure This.....

If Every Photographer Ask You To Take A Bath Before You Touch His White Background... Because All Models Are Dirty As Hell!!!

Same Effect As Thinking Every Photographer Is A Pervert!!!

Aug 21 11 08:08 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Nedah Oyin wrote:

Wow.. You fail..

I love when people use age as if that truly has a say anymore in this day and age. I probably have better knowledge of a variety of topics thanks in part to being in an era filled with such technology than a good deal of people twice or even three times my age. It's just a number people, you can act as old or as young as you want. It's only when the way you act or dress is so disproportionate to your actual age that it ever becomes a problem.

Aug 21 11 08:09 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Damon Banner wrote:

so rather than attacking her argument, you attack her age. 

I also notice you didn't respond to me at all, why?  because you have no retort?  Because you don't know my age? 

You have yet to tell her why she is wrong.  You've lost.  Just move on.

I normally don't even bother with people that stubborn in their ways, but I'm in an arguing/debating mood recently. smile

Aug 21 11 08:11 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Nedah Oyin wrote:

What is this supposed to mean..?

I'm with her, I'm scratching my head in confusion as well. *furrowed brow engaged*

Aug 21 11 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Austnpowers Photography

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Personally I only touch a model when absolutely necessary and than 99.999999% of the time only her/his hair.

However, I never touch without explicit permission. So far its never been a problem as I keep ALL shoot professional (as it should be!).

Aug 21 11 08:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Sunrise Retouching

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Why bother answering a misguided individual,my post was put there to help someone not to start an arguement.That posts I put on the was from college professors and attorneys,I did not write that myself.If your comfortable with someone touching you during a shoot then go for it,but don't ever post anything on a forum if something else happens.
   I'm solely asking people to be cautious,don't jump and say okay do it,because your opening a can of worms that I don't think anyone wants to open.And yes I've been happily married for a very long time,and my wife agrees with me, "BE CAUTIOUS" thats all,bottom line.I'm sorry about the age thing but most 19 year old haven't been to there next state much less in a different country.

Aug 21 11 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

wiseleo

Castro Valley, California, US

I ask for permission... enough times to annoy the model. smile It's those pesky hairs that can't stay out of the frame that cause it.

I simply change into a different person when I am creating images. My mind is solely on what the final image will be, so the whatever you happen to be wearing or saying has no effect on my concentration. Many photographers are the same way.

Aug 21 11 08:55 pm Link

Model

Izrah

Elk Grove Village, Illinois, US

liindsay ann wrote:
Doesn't matter, as long as it's professional and necessary..

+1

Aug 21 11 08:56 pm Link

Model

Nedah Oyin

Chicago, Illinois, US

.I'm sorry about the age thing but most 19 year old haven't been to there next state much less in a different country.

Same with most adults..

Aug 21 11 08:57 pm Link

Model

BlackxxxRose

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

When a model had a string hanging I just told her to fix it and she did.    smile

I do a lot of fetish work that I don't post in my portfolio here. When I do shoots like that I'm often twisted or otherwise incapacitated so I can't adjust myself without completely stopping the shoot. smile It comes in handy to have someone the photographer knows he/she can order around without stopping to ask permission to touch and adjust me as needed. It helps the fluidity of my shoots and ultimately makes for better shots. Anyways, my whole point is that if the photographer (or whoever does the touching) has permission and has asked beforehand, no biggie.

Aug 21 11 09:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Sunrise Retouching

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Okay this is the article that I had her read,this is from real professional models.MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE!!!

Even though model Sara Ziff has walked for Chanel and Marc Jacobs and has been the face of Calvin Klein, Gap, Stella McCartney and Dolce & Gabbana, she strips the modeling industry of its glamour like she’s ripping off false eyelashes. Mentorship from Twiggy? Coddling from Miss Jay?

Actually, the life of a professional pretty face means fending off a scuzz-load of pervy photogs, according to Sara’s documentary “Picture Me” about the behind-the-scenes of modeling.

Sara’s co-director (and ex-boyfriend) Ole Schell joined her on go-sees and photo shoots for five years, taping hours and hours worth of pretty peoples’ lives. And though the pair filmed the razzle-dazzle that all wannabe catwalkers dream about—gossiping backstage at shows, basking in Karl Lagerfeld’s glow, earning $150,000 a day—young models kept revealing a seedier side of the modeling industry less known to us mortals.

Some photographers don’t seem as interested in taking pictures as they do in taking liberties with young models, many of whom are barely out of middle school and living away from their parents for the first time.

And these aren’t sleazy Craiglist “photographers,” either. The genetically blessed women Sara interviewed all work in the high-end fashion world with supposedly reputable professionals, including one snapper which Sara described as a household name.

Sara talked about how on her third casting call, at age 14, a photographer asked her to take her bra off. “I was just eager to be liked and get the job. I didn’t know any better,” she said.

A model named Sena Cech described how one casting call turned predatory when a photographer and his assistant pressure her to jerk the lensman off. “Sena—can you grab his c**k and twist it real hard. He likes it when you squeeze it real hard and twist it,” Sena recalled the photographer’s assistant saying. Sena explained she did it—and the next day was offered the modeling job.

Yet another model, this time a 16-year-old girl new to the industry, said she was sexually assaulted by a photographer who put his hands between her legs while he pretended to adjust her clothes.

That young model asked not to be included in the documentary, though, because she was afraid of backlash from other photographers. Sara told The Guardian:

“The people in the industry who are doing these things are much more powerful, and the model is totally disposable. She could be gone in two years.”

Sara bravely stands up for the young women she works with not only by pulling back the curtain on exploitation and abuse, but on how these girls—many of whom are recent immigrants who don’t speak much English and are sending money back home to Belarus or Moldova— are ignored by the very people who should be their protectors. One model Sara interviewed complained to her agency about a photographer who made a pass at her, but they told her she should have slept with him! As Sara told The Guardian:

“Vulnerable girls are being put into a potentially predatory environment. What’s in the agency’s interest is not always best for the girl, and if she’s in a compromising situation, she doesn’t necessarily have anyone to turn to.”

What sounds truly awful is the confusion about whether these models are inviting sexual advances because, let’s face it, so much of advertising is sexualized to begin with. Sara spoke candidly about how she has modeled naked for classy “art” photo shoots, but still felt unsure whether she had her dignity intact. “I used to wonder: what’s the difference between doing a shoot in your underwear for Calvin Klein and being a stripper?...How far am I willing to go?”

It probably takes a stronger sense of self-preservation than most 15-, 16- or 17-year-old young women possess, who are being lured by the promise of big bucks, free clothes and fame, to say “no” or “or MY terms.” And I’m sure there’s a lot of girls who are afraid that if they called home to Mom and Dad to say a photographer asked them for a hand job, the ‘rents would put them on the first plane back home to Fargo and their modeling career would be over. Maybe “Picture Me” will put pressure on the modeling agencies who’re supposed to be responsible for these young women and encourage the models union that Sara mentions.

Hmm. The women on “America’s Next Top Model” learn all about how to relax their face muscles and memorize Cover Girl pitches. But it could be time Tyra gave the genetically blessed a lesson in self-defense. [Guardian UK]

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-model … cumentary/

Aug 21 11 09:09 pm Link

Model

Izrah

Elk Grove Village, Illinois, US

Fiddlers Green Photo wrote:
My policy is to never ever work with a crazy person, if it can be helped.
Crazy people think that everyday kind of personal contact is some sort of sexual assault. It isn't.

Excuse yourself.

One, there is no such thing as "crazy."  People have problems, get use to it.  Someone that would be that uncomfortable with being touched would not be in this business.

Secondly, not all people who have OCD, bi-polar disorder, or any other mental illness, are the same. We don't ALL think that any touching is sexual harassment.  Everyone is different.  Please think before you post because this was incredibly offensive.

I guess you won't be working with me, then.

Aug 21 11 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

why are you posting someone else's article as if it is yours?

At the least, you should provide a link back to the original article. 

Learn to do that before you start lecturing people about Harassment

As I said, the definition you posted has a very specific scope.  What people are discussing here falls outside of that scope, no matter how you try to spin it.

Aug 21 11 09:14 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

InnaDaVida wrote:
I will let a MUA, stylist, wardrobe designer touch me during a shoot but never the photographer.

Why?  I don't give a shit if they touch me if they see something that needs to be adjusted to get the shot.  If they're groping or manhandling you, thats not a photographer that you're working with....

Aug 21 11 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

InnaDaVida wrote:

Let's be clear here, there is a difference between being groped and a touch in the context of getting a job done.  The people here who disagree with you, are okay with one and not the other. 

We are here to do a job.  Me brushing a hair out of your face or moving your arm 4 cm to the right isn't the same as someone squeezing your titty...

You can make whatever rules you want, it's your body.   Ultimately, many people will disagree.

Aug 21 11 09:17 pm Link

Model

RocKitt

Dayton, Ohio, US

InnaDaVida wrote:

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:
Why?  I don't give a shit if they touch me if they see something that needs to be adjusted to get the shot.  If they're groping or manhandling you, thats not a photographer that you're working with....

+1

Huge difference between adjusting and just touching for the heck of it, in my opinion. No matter with what member of the team, group, office, what-have-you.

I have done my co-workers makeup and hair before, at their request, and have asked for permission or given a heads up when I am to touch them in any way other than strictly applying makeup/hair. I have taken boudoir photos of my co-workers and friends at their request, same thing; if I find myself  needing to adjust their tresses, straps, or whatever (because I don't want them to move and lose the pose) I will ask. I have done the same with objects around them that needed re-placement... it's just part of the shoot.

Aug 21 11 09:39 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Why bother answering a misguided individual,my post was put there to help someone not to start an arguement.That posts I put on the was from college professors and attorneys,I did not write that myself.If your comfortable with someone touching you during a shoot then go for it,but don't ever post anything on a forum if something else happens.
   I'm solely asking people to be cautious,don't jump and say okay do it,because your opening a can of worms that I don't think anyone wants to open.And yes I've been happily married for a very long time,and my wife agrees with me, "BE CAUTIOUS" thats all,bottom line.I'm sorry about the age thing but most 19 year old haven't been to there next state much less in a different country.

With this post, I get what you were trying to say, but your original post was definitely worded in the wrong way. I don't know how long you have read the forums here on this site, but posts like that become synonymous with "white knights" who go way too overboard with crazy ideas of what is and isn't safe. (the photographers who have that way of thinking say that the models should never ever be touched and if they do they are very bad people who should be punished tend to be the same that tell the models to have every single photo from the shoot and the "raw" images and etc etc etc. It just turns into a big mess, never really fun.) Essentially posts that makes us think of those kind of people either just annoy people to no end or are generally fed up with it.

I think people need to be cautious in any line of business and in private life, otherwise it becomes your own fault if you don't take care of yourself. There are times where I refuse a shoot because something in my gut (I have freaky good instinct and has yet to fail me) tells me that something isn't right, and I don't feel guilty at all for making myself and my safety priority number one. I'm not out to make everybody happy, especially if my happiness suffers in the end. If someone else feels a different way, they live their life the way they wish, and if it doesn't get into my business it really has nothing to do with me so I'm not bothered by it.

Aug 21 11 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

*looks a little sick*

I wanna get off this merry-go-round

Aug 21 11 09:57 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Paindancer Productions wrote:
*looks a little sick*

I wanna get off this merry-go-round

You're no fun, I love merry-go-rounds. And the tea cup ride at disney world. And other rides that involve spinning in circles. Don't ask how my stomach tolerates those rides but they do and the dizzy drunk giggle walk you do after is always fun. lolborat

Aug 21 11 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Nadeshiko Yamato wrote:

You're no fun, I love merry-go-rounds. And the tea cup ride at disney world. And other rides that involve spinning in circles. Don't ask how my stomach tolerates those rides but they do and the dizzy drunk giggle walk you do after is always fun. lolborat

I imagine it would be less fun if somebody puked on you though....

(occupational hazard with those kinda rides)

Aug 21 11 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Fiddlers Green Photo

Edmonds, Washington, US

Izrah wrote:

Excuse yourself.

One, there is no such thing as "crazy."  People have problems, get use to it.  Someone that would be that uncomfortable with being touched would not be in this business.

Secondly, not all people who have OCD, bi-polar disorder, or any other mental illness, are the same. We don't ALL think that any touching is sexual harassment.  Everyone is different.  Please think before you post because this was incredibly offensive.

I guess you won't be working with me, then.

Probably not, but only because you are so far away, as in the case of touching there is good crazy and bad crazy. You are incredibly offended and I am not even in the same room with you!  never said any of those folks who have those problems are crazy - I don't think that counts as crazy - they may be very sane. The truly crazy ones have cleans bills of health but are simply stark raving loony tunes all day and all night. And are mean as snakes.

Now be calm and save your wrath for people who really mean you offense.

Aug 21 11 11:24 pm Link

Model

Rhiannon Davis

Dallas, Texas, US

glamourglenn wrote:
I was once on the set with an internationally well known photographer shooting a magazine layout.

he was trying to get the model to do a certain pose and she just couldn't get what he wanted.

he walked up to her, pried her legs apart, put the right leg/foot exactly where he wanted it, put the left leg/foot exactly where he wanted it, reached on to her butt and rolled her hips exactly where he wanted it and went back behind the tripod and got the shot.

BTW, she was nude.

there was a crew of about 5 of us there. Nobody complained or said a word. After the shoot was done, we all went out to dinner.

internet models can make a really big deal about nothing and make it sound so horrible. I used to assist in NYC and i would roughly estimate 75% or more of the shooters will touch the models at some point in the shoot.

deal with it.

I personally would have decked that guy if he "pried" my legs apart. Actions like that are NEVER called for.

edit: Especially since it sounds like he didn't even ask!

Aug 22 11 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

My dawg won't even let me touch 'im  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Aug 22 11 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Models space is her space, my space is my space.

Aug 22 11 12:55 pm Link

Model

Sweet Surrender

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
Get this through your head:  Models are props, and props need adjusting.

Oh boy...

Aug 22 11 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Wolf Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

Be more informed!!

There is a problem in modeling, especially photo shoots, sexual harassment…

Blah, blah, blah, fear, terror, doom . . .

https://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/wolfstarstudio/FearMongerAward.jpg

Aug 23 11 05:20 am Link

Photographer

S Lawrence Photo 2

York, South Carolina, US

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:
You've worked with a MUA, stylistic, wardrobe designer
Really ? Come on you're jiviing us right?

Sorry found it offensive that you think photographers
Have cuddies

Yea - what he said!!

Aug 23 11 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Ulti

Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, South Africa

hartcons wrote:
the wife and i shoot together and models don't seem to mind if she touches them. if i need to touch (like to brush hair away after they're settled into a pose) i ask permission first.

Same here.....

Aug 23 11 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Chris Wolf Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

Matthew Faircloth wrote:
They would never tell you why they chose another candidate. Its also discrimination if they choose a woman over a man because shes a woman.

Technically, true, but it's like trying to win a racism argument when the victim is white.

Aug 23 11 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Chris Wolf Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

Why bother answering a misguided individual . . .

And this is why I just gave you the award without explanation.

Aug 23 11 05:33 am Link