Forums > Model Colloquy > Touching the Models

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

OH CRAP!

I forgot something!!!!

I have modeled before.   AND I am a photographer.

I CANT TOUCH MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 24 11 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Paindancer Productions wrote:
OH CRAP!

I forgot something!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

Aug 24 11 04:30 pm Link

Model

Angel R Jones

Overland Park, Kansas, US

To echo everyone else, if I'm clothed then I don't mind the photographer or mua touching me. If I'm nude, then I always appreciate that they tell me what they're going to do before they touch me.

It's just good manners.

Aug 24 11 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Orcatek Photography wrote:
If I didn't touch the models, how would I keep them off me.   You all know how models are, always groping this, squeezing that.  They can't keep their hands to themselves.  I need to touch to push them away.

Really, is this an issue for professionals.  Respect people.

Joan Jett knows about touching and at her age, she still looks damn good doing it too!

https://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Joan%20Jett-2.jpg

I love rock and roll!   I'm just the right age to be touched by her!  tongue

Aug 24 11 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

I will let a model know before I touch her, even if it's just fixing some hair. It's usually put to them as a question, but I'm not really expecting them to say no. It's more just a heads up, so they're not startled if I start reaching for them.

It's really important for my style of work that the model feel open and comfortable, I don't want to do anything that will screw that up.

Aug 24 11 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Miss Havisham Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

This whole thread borders on the stupid. K E S L E R pretty much nails it in his response.  We're all adults and should know what is and isn't appropriate. If you're a skeevy perv it will show eventually. I don't feel it's necessary to touch a model until it gets to the point where my direction isn't getting her in the position I need her in. Then I walk over, say "I'm going to touch you" and I move the model the way I need her. I did this yesterday in a shoot even though there were 2 other people there, including my girlfriend. It wasn't really necessary but it's habit for me now. Also, just out of curiosity, do you shake the photographers hand when you meet him or her? Do you tell them at the top of the shoot "You can't touch me" and if so how exactly do you say it? You must be incredibly diplomatic because if you told me that I doubt the shoot would proceed further.

There was a "model" that came over a couple of weeks ago for headshots. She spent less than an hour at my place (again my girlfriend - who many consider super hot btw - was there) and I NEVER touched her. When she left I edited 4 photos, emailed them to her SAME DAY, and then never heard back from her. Obviously something I did/said turned her off. Or she's just super rude. Ah well. The point is, if you're so uptight that you WON'T let a photographer touch you, maybe you shouldn't be modeling. Not to be rude either, but while you may think you are attractive, heaven forbid a photographer think you unattractive, or have zero interest in shooting you. Some photographers out there are pretty good looking themselves, some are ex models (see KARELEA an exceptional photographer and a model that most men would PAY for a glancing touch from, literally. She's my MM crush) , and they couldn't bother to spit on you if you were on fire. That's extreme, most photographers are really cool people - like me for instance, I'd spit on you if you were on fire -  I'm just trying to illustrate a point. There's a big difference between touching someone,  finger banging someone, and mentally raping someone. If you can't tell the difference I should take some pics and post them as an illustrative guide. Get over yourself.

Aug 24 11 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

OH CRAP!

I forgot something!!!!

For the sexy people who touch themselves ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ux4JDDFyzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb37Nh_Sg4g

tongue

Aug 24 11 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

The answer really is.. "It depends"

Everyone has their own comfort circles.. and I have had models so comfortable with me that I was a bit weirded out...

So.. it CAN go both ways... I generally do not touch the model (nude or clothed).. but if I'm with a model that happens to be a friend too.. and we are shooting and we have that kind of relationship... sure.. touch away.

But If I don't know you from Adam and this is our first time working together... it's very likely I won't be touching you at all except maybe to shake your hand.

There are so may but if this, but if thats.. I just have one simple rule...
Whatever the model is comfortable with... and that is different for everyone.

Aug 24 11 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Vaughn Bishop wrote:
This whole thread borders on the stupid. K E S L E R pretty much nails it in his response.  We're all adults and should know what is and isn't appropriate. If you're a skeevy perv it will show eventually. I don't feel it's necessary to touch a model until it gets to the point where my direction isn't getting her in the position I need her in. Then I walk over, say "I'm going to touch you" and I move the model the way I need her. I did this yesterday in a shoot even though there were 2 other people there, including my girlfriend. It wasn't really necessary but it's habit for me now. Also, just out of curiosity, do you shake the photographers hand when you meet him or her? Do you tell them at the top of the shoot "You can't touch me" and if so how exactly do you say it? You must be incredibly diplomatic because if you told me that I doubt the shoot would proceed further.

There was a "model" that came over a couple of weeks ago for headshots. She spent less than an hour at my place (again my girlfriend - who many consider super hot btw - was there) and I NEVER touched her. When she left I edited 4 photos, emailed them to her SAME DAY, and then never heard back from her. Obviously something I did/said turned her off. Or she's just super rude. Ah well. The point is, if you're so uptight that you WON'T let a photographer touch you, maybe you shouldn't be modeling. Not to be rude either, but while you may think you are attractive, heaven forbid a photographer think you unattractive, or have zero interest in shooting you. Some photographers out there are pretty good looking themselves, some are ex models (see KARELEA an exceptional photographer and a model that most men would PAY for a glancing touch from, literally. She's my MM crush) , and they couldn't bother to spit on you if you were on fire. That's extreme, most photographers are really cool people - like me for instance, I'd spit on you if you were on fire -  I'm just trying to illustrate a point. There's a big difference between touching someone,  finger banging someone, and mentally raping someone. If you can't tell the difference I should take some pics and post them as an illustrative guide. Get over yourself.

You are blunt, to the point, and I like that!   I started posting in this thread thinking it would end soon, but I have not given so much time or thought inregards to a "policy about touching models" in all of my 30 years of shooting until now. 

What has happened to communication?  Has society reached a point where people can't treat each other as individuals?  Can't we still talk with each other in person about issues we may have?  Like you, I size up people in advance as well as during working with them and after.  I have had clients and models who let me know in advance that they were not a "touchy feely" kind of person and to please respect their personal space. 

There are other people who are the extreme opposite, as well as those some where in between.  Not everyone is a Howie Mandel.  I've photographed celebrities before, but since you are living in a hot bed of them, you are more likely to get to shoot with him if you are hired.  So you know this;  It is up to the client, model or whomever is being photographed to communicate anything of importance for the photographer know.  Otherwise we should use normal digression and show respect in our behavior towards each other.  How hard is that?

Aug 24 11 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Deadlynightshade wrote:

That's the hair or MUAs job to move the hair.

Please send me a monthly allowance so I can hire a stylist and MUA for every shoot. Thanks smile

Aug 24 11 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
The answer really is.. "It depends"

Everyone has their own comfort circles.. and I have had models so comfortable with me that I was a bit weirded out...

So.. it CAN go both ways... I generally do not touch the model (nude or clothed).. but if I'm with a model that happens to be a friend too.. and we are shooting and we have that kind of relationship... sure.. touch away.

But If I don't know you from Adam and this is our first time working together... it's very likely I won't be touching you at all except maybe to shake your hand.

There are so may but if this, but if thats.. I just have one simple rule...
Whatever the model is comfortable with... and that is different for everyone.

You got it!  And that should be the final word on "a touchy policy!"   wink

Aug 24 11 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Deadlynightshade wrote:

That's the hair or MUAs job to move the hair.

What if there is no hair or Mua?

Aug 24 11 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Vinnit

Tampa, Florida, US

Well, all you "TOUCH ME AND I WILL BLOW MY RAPE WHISTLE!" models out there, I am your man.  I will not touch you.  I won't even come within 3 feet of you.  I will respect your personal bubble.  As long as you respect mine.

Not because I'm a white knight or have any strong personal feelings on this.  I just suffer from aphephobia.  I literally freak out like Rain Man late for a trip to KMart if somebody I don't know invades my personal bubble.

Aug 24 11 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Be a pro on both sides and don't make a big deal about it.  I have touched models "everywhere", including applying make up.  Nude models have hugged me.  NBD.  As long as I or they don't cross a line, all of us, including my wife are fine.

Aug 24 11 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

OH poop!

Another thing I forgot...

My wife is a model!

I cant touch her now either!

Aug 24 11 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

OH poop!

My wife is a model!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pAPJArCIk

Aug 24 11 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'll give you 100 Bucks to Touch Your Boobs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPZ6pgBIuC8

Aug 24 11 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

DanK Photography wrote:

What if there is no hair or Mua?

You will have to call one in!

"Hello?.. Yeah, it's me... yes, one hair... yes... right next to her armpit.... What?.. yes... 20 minutes?.. K.. thanks. *Click* (to the model)... So.... what do you do on your spare time?".

Aug 24 11 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

OH poop!

My wife is a model!

If you take up hair styling or make-up, then it is OK.

Aug 24 11 07:37 pm Link

Model

Aingeal Rose

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Stefano Brunesci wrote:

What if there's nobody else on set and something needs adjusting that you can't do yourself? If the photographer politely asks if he/she can do it will you still refuse?

Part of the business of being a model is getting used to being pushed, prodded, tweaked and adjusted like a mannequin in a window by pretty much all and sundry. If you have an objection to being touched or in some way feel that a photographer who needs to adjust something is automatically a pervert or creep then perhaps you should reconsider whether you're really cut out to be a model?

as long as i am asked and it isnt just assumed the photographer can touch me i have no problem - it can be so much easier some times for them to fix small things like accessories, hair, jewellery, garments.
and when doing fetish work , there is a lot of trust as you are sometimes in positions where you have no choice but to be helped or tied or moved , or buffed (in latex) i have never had an unprofessional experience . everyone is working towards the same thing, the best image .

Aug 25 11 05:32 am Link

Photographer

AmGlamStudios

Weymouth, Massachusetts, US

I wish I could being a 56 year old with arthritis and herniated disc in my neck (getting fixed soon) it's tough to demo a pose that is not standing one.

That being said, I do not touch the models and take 2 aspirin after the shoot.

I hope I don't have to have a model call the EMT's to get me off the floor.

Aug 25 11 09:20 am Link

Photographer

John Edward

Dallas, Texas, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:

What if there's nobody else on set and something needs adjusting that you can't do yourself? If the photographer politely asks if he/she can do it will you still refuse?

Part of the business of being a model is getting used to being pushed, prodded, tweaked and adjusted like a mannequin in a window by pretty much all and sundry. If you have an objection to being touched or in some way feel that a photographer who needs to adjust something is automatically a pervert or creep then perhaps you should reconsider whether you're really cut out to be a model?

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Not to mention photographers who do body make up on tattoos, some of which are in the darndest places. So +1

Aug 25 11 09:26 am Link

Model

_AmberRose_

New York, New York, US

Holy long thread! Goodness smile

I don't mind if photographers touch me occasionally to fix a stray hair, tie my corset from the back, help get the backs of my garter belt hooked onto my stockings, etc.

However, when the photographer is constantly touching me throughout the entire shoot, then I get extremely agitated.

There has only been one photographer who does that. I worked with him twice and I put up with it because his work is outstanding and its pay. He literally poses me for every single shot, and we shoot for 8 hours. If I don't properly position my body the exact way he specifies, he will come over, grab my hand, foot, leg, whatever and do it himself. And sometimes he does it even before telling me what he wants me to do.
Something else that bothers me about it is that he literally poses me for every shot, without allowing me to pose on myself. I have no flow, no input on the poses. It's always, "Chin down, eyes at me, spread your legs, move your arm so I can see your boobs, cock your shoulder."
I wanted to walk out on the spot during our last shoot. I even considered saying, "Fuck nudity, I'm done, I am not doing anymore nude shoots." That's how irritating he was, especially how he always wanted my legs spread and boobs showing. Like jesus christ, I can still be nude and have more of an interesting pose other than spread legs and titties in your face.
I will not be shooting with him a 3rd time.

Aug 25 11 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Enfire Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

OH CRAP!

I forgot something!!!!

inorite?

Aug 25 11 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Enfire Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

Please send me a monthly allowance so I can hire a stylist and MUA for every shoot. Thanks smile

me too
especially since I'm no longer allowed to touch myself...

Aug 25 11 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Johnnyboy Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am usually too chicken-shit to come within 6ft of the model anyway for fear she will say I did something that I know I didn't. One time a model couldn't get the idea I was trying to convey to her, she was getting frustrated and so was I but I wasn't going to say anything. Finally she basically yelled at me, "Would you come and just put me how you want me. I am not going to f*ckin bite you!".

So this counts as a necessary touch. But it is not a habit by no means.

Aug 25 11 11:21 am Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

Models have allowed me to adjust bras, panties, pull lichen from their bush, brush dirt off their breasts and butt. Why? Not because they want a thrill, or that I want one, for that matter, but because they know it's necessary and they don't want to break their pose. And they trust me based on my reputation and professionalism. I'm always telling models to stay still, because the pose is perfect except for one minor adjustment and I tell them I will make that adjustment in order to keep the pose intact. They understand. No one freaks out. The shoot continues and we get great shots.

Aug 25 11 11:33 am Link

Photographer

AndyKruczekPhotography

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom

Having now read through the entire thread, I vow that, should I ever brush up against the OP (Whoops, Sorry, I mean, should I ever have the privilege of working with her), I promise that, not only will I not touch her, I won't look at her either. I really wouldn't want her to feel uncomfortable!

Hope that helps.

Aug 25 11 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Johnnyboy Photography wrote:
I am usually too chicken-shit to come within 6ft of the model anyway for fear she will say I did something that I know I didn't. One time a model couldn't get the idea I was trying to convey to her, she was getting frustrated and so was I but I wasn't going to say anything. Finally she basically yelled at me, "Would you come and just put me how you want me. I am not going to f*ckin bite you!".

So this counts as a necessary touch. But it is not a habit by no means.

Thanks for sharing that story. Made me chuckle.

Aug 25 11 12:02 pm Link

Model

Rebecca Lawrence

New York, New York, US

AmGlamStudios wrote:
I wish I could being a 56 year old with arthritis and herniated disc in my neck (getting fixed soon) it's tough to demo a pose that is not standing one.

That being said, I do not touch the models and take 2 aspirin after the shoot.

I hope I don't have to have a model call the EMT's to get me off the floor.

Haha, you're so adorable showing the poses!

Aug 25 11 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Johnnyboy Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

DanK Photography wrote:

Thanks for sharing that story. Made me chuckle.

Somebody's gotta lighten the mood around here a little wink

Aug 25 11 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

The Alternative Image

London, England, United Kingdom

I will touch a model if I have to, most times to move the hair that will take ages to photoshop out, or adjust clothing because the model is in a pose that would spoil it if she moved.

Very rare I will move part of a body, but if it is necassery then I will, better that than a wasted shot just because of a simple adjustment.

Aug 25 11 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

WASH-HI PHOTO

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I have read this thread carefully and I am both amazed and sometimes amused by the dialogue.  I have been a photographer for nearly 50 years.  Yes, I am old.  I have done professional work under agency contract and personal work of my own creative effort....in all these years I never once touched a model nor did I have the slightest need to do so.  If the model and the assistants cannot correct it as I see it and feel it....I move on.  Have I lost creative control this way?  Of course.  A model you see, is an individual that deserves admiration, respect, and deference.  Photoshoots are not about power and control, they are about creating imagery found when the model and photographer become one and are focused on the same outcome.

Aug 25 11 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

William Browning

San Jose, California, US

hartcons wrote:
the wife and i shoot together and models don't seem to mind if she touches them. if i need to touch (like to brush hair away after they're settled into a pose) i ask permission first.

Yep, that's how we do it too. I've removed tags, moved hair and tugged on hems, etc., but only after asking or being asked.

Aug 25 11 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

OH poop!

My wife is a model!

Get used to it. After you have been married for a while she won't want you to touch her anyway. And wait until she hits mid life she will cry when you touch her. Yep, get used to it.

Aug 26 11 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Did the OP disappear like 9 pages ago?

Aug 26 11 07:56 pm Link

Model

Veronica St Clair

Tampa, Florida, US

I want great pix,The photographer ants great pix, Please move whatever it takes. If you can't touch me I probably shouldn't be modeling!

So far every photographer I have shot with has asked permission.

Aug 26 11 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Miss Havisham Studios

Washphoto wrote:
..... If the model and the assistants cannot correct it as I see it and feel it....I move on.  Have I lost creative control this way?  Of course.  A model you see, is an individual that deserves admiration, respect, and deference.

I find this statement strangely sad.

Aug 27 11 07:10 pm Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I've never had a problem with being touched. If someone wanted to be REALLY stupid and get grabby-hands, I know how to walk out.  But I have done a lot of fetish work- and fetish work tends to be much more hands-on on the photographer's part because in many cases, the model literally couldn't adjust things themselves.  I've also never had a fetish shooter getstupid grabby-hands.  It's a very different world, and tends to be, IME, MUCH more respectful towards the model.

Aug 27 11 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

larsen222

Burlington, Vermont, US

Never? Do you live in a world of absolutes? Never say never :-)

InnaDaVida wrote:
I will let a MUA, stylist, wardrobe designer touch me during a shoot but never the photographer.

What is your policy on touching?

Aug 27 11 07:21 pm Link