Forums > Photography Talk > Photographers: How Do You Afford to Pay Models?

Photographer

Patrickth

Bellingham, Washington, US

GM Photography wrote:

I'm always amazed at how many photographers are willing to spend thousands on bodies, lenses, lighting, computers, software, etc., but are unwilling to make any investment at all on one of the most important components, the subject of their images.  I don't pay models often, but if someone is in the area that is head and shoulders better than any of the many local models I can shoot trade with, I find a way to make time and dig up the money to work with them.  I want to make the best images I can.  Having the best possible subject is a pretty important part of that equation.  It's also nice to not have to provide any images, to be able to do whatever I want with the images, to be able to retouch them whenever I feel like it, to know the person is going to show up, etc.

Morning Greg.  Another vote for my way of thinking. Its blissful not owing anyone anything.  Just shoot, sit back and think about whether or not I made progress on what I wanted to accomplish. All in my own time.

cheers

Sep 01 11 10:16 am Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

PTPhotoUT wrote:

I'm still saving to bring you down here for a couple of days. I should have enough saved up by October.     2014 sad

Some of us have day jobs, some are independantly wealthy, Me, I steal from old people. I'd rob kittens too, if they had any money.

Brings another great thought to mind - if you're trying to bring in models from outside your area, find a photographer friend who wants to split the cost. A lot of models will work in exchange for a plane ticket and/or place to crash.

Sep 01 11 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Sendu wrote:
Though as others have pointed out, you shouldn't be paying models. Test with agency girls. If you're really far from any good agency, perhaps offer to pay for travel, but that's all.

I'm 800 miles from the kind of agency you're talking about, and most of their models aren't going to "test" for the kind of images I shoot.  Probably NONE of them will, in Michigan, with a decent but not world class photographer.  Plus, I don't need NY agency girls; they're great for something that's largely unrelated to my world.

Sep 01 11 11:19 am Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

GM Photography wrote:

I'm always amazed at how many photographers are willing to spend thousands on bodies, lenses, lighting, computers, software, etc., but are unwilling to make any investment at all on one of the most important components, the subject of their images.  I don't pay models often, but if someone is in the area that is head and shoulders better than any of the many local models I can shoot trade with, I find a way to make time and dig up the money to work with them.  I want to make the best images I can.  Having the best possible subject is a pretty important part of that equation.  It's also nice to not have to provide any images, to be able to do whatever I want with the images, to be able to retouch them whenever I feel like it, to know the person is going to show up, etc.

i love these types of posts. I'll probably get brigged for this, but do you see any non commitment from my end?  I shoot top dollar models.. heres the kicker for NOTHING!!  yet those who pay models. work usually tends to be sub par. because well they are paying models from a site where most of the models and even the ones that call themselves high paying models. blow democrats ass!!

Shon.. do yourself a favor, and get off this site for a bit.. it will do you some good

Sep 01 11 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

I have MS. I rarely ride my go-fast motorcycle anymore much less spend money making it go-faster. I can't golf or ski any longer. I don't even travel very much as heat just kills me and I fatique easily. Enough of the poor poor me. I got back into photography to serve me as a hobby and to keep my mind stimulated after I had to retire.

Ski passes, greens fees, bike parts, travel - all that money goes towards my hobby and hiring an occasional model is how I treat myself.

Sep 01 11 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Peter Claver wrote:

I spent $30K on studio rental and model travel in 12 months.

So..

Yes.

Most of us can't do that. For $30k I can buy a house here.

Sep 01 11 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Connor Photography wrote:

Peter Claver wrote:
I typically pay with travel and accommodations.. but in the end it's the same:

I have a day job that pays me alot of money.

It is still less than 20k per year.  It is much less than off-shore sailing expense.

Two of the last three years I lived on less than 20k a year and did just fine.

Sep 01 11 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mountain Man Photo

Lake Elsinore, California, US

I have a government job!

Sep 01 11 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Just wanted to get a message out to potential new members of this site who might be put off by the inanity of this thread, and say please hang in there.
I've cross-checked all my potential reference points, tried to put things here in some sort of artistic context, and even considered drug-infused ranting, and cannot see anything in this thread relevant in any way to the art or business of photography or modelling or life in general.
But please hang in there. I've learned a lot from some excellent regulars on this site, except they've been shy lately.
Just tossing this out there as I only have a few hours to get back to work. W

Sep 01 11 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

I don't know a lot of full-time photographers that are really making enough to be able to comfortably afford paying models.

I often find that the people that can afford it often have some other revenue stream that doesn't involve photography.

Sep 01 11 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

LJKP Photography

Cypress, Texas, US

OP:  I do a lot of different types of photography, I do landscapes, light-art, HDR etc. I have sold many of my prints and just sold another one yesterday.. Step outside of one type of photography. There is money to be made.

But it also helps if you have a full time job..

Sep 01 11 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

It is still less than 20k per year.  It is much less than off-shore sailing expense.

Lumigraphics wrote:
Two of the last three years I lived on less than 20k a year and did just fine.

Well.... you are still relatively young.  Keep at it and keep reinvent yourself, I am sure you will be fine and hire any models you want.

Sep 01 11 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Well.... you are still relatively young.  Keep at it and keep reinvent yourself, I am sure you will be fine and hire any models you want.

I'm 47. I've made lots of money, and no money. Moneygrubbing sucks and I'm a lot happier if I don't make a big priority in my life.

And why should I hire models?

The thing is, I'd feel terrible paying girls I don't even know while not paying friends I have made who I know need the money...but those are the ones happy to shoot trade.

Sep 01 11 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

Los Angeles, California, US

I have Mosh and Ulorin Vex coming up and the way I'm paying for that is...

1. trading for wardrobe
2. Ulorin owns the studio so it's a discounted rate for her
3. there are 5 Fridays in Sept, meaning 5 paychecks (as opposed to the usual 4 which my home life is budgeted around)
4. one of them does their own hmu, very helpful
5. I work overtime
6. if I come up short I've always got a 4x5 I'm ready to sell

I don't do this very often, but I noticed each time I work with a higher class of model I end up being able to trade with others of that level after the fact.  Plus the photos you get with the pros end up being far more useful, likely for publication, reusable, etc.

I don't think I've ever paid for wardrobe or designers.  Usually I have good enough models that the designers are thrilled to have shots with them.

Sep 01 11 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

alexphotog

New York, New York, US

Head still spinning on thread ...

Sep 01 11 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

You're in Virginia Beach.  Norfolk is the city built by Camp Followers.  You have very physically fit (due to the military) male and female models all around you.  I've seen shoots at Virginia Beach in February for local calendars where you could see the look on the models' faces.  "It seemed like a good idea at the time.  BUT IT'S COLD!" 

The calendars were highly local crap.  But, there was no shortage of models.

Absolutely NOT BUYING IT when you say you have difficulty in getting models in Virginia Beach.  While I laugh at the guys who pay for plane tickets and hotel rooms, maybe they are in the badlands of South Dakota. 

But, for you to say you are having difficulties getting models in Virginia Beach is WORSE than someone in Fort Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, or Panama City saying they are having problems, because those are seasonal cities while Virginia Beach has hotties captive for six years.  AND you've got Old Dominion University, too.

Just not buyin' it.

Just reviewed your shots.  The male work is good.

Sep 01 11 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Well if I got rid of my drinking issue, ate at home more than 4 times a month, stopped money going into my IRA, and didn't buy a MotoGuzzi, didn't have a gf (they are more expensive than the bike!), then yes - I'd have plenty of money to pay models.

It's all about budgeting!

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Sep 01 11 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

David Miller Photoworks wrote:
I don't do this very often, but I noticed each time I work with a higher class of model I end up being able to trade with others of that level after the fact.  Plus the photos you get with the pros end up being far more useful, likely for publication, reusable, etc.

This is the secret to getting quality Models for trade. Some you will have to pay but the investment is not just in the shoot but for future leverage. That's the solution to the initial "egg" part of the chicken/egg dilemma: got to have the images to get the Models but need Models to create the images.   

The other part of the equation is the styling. Make-up, hair, wardrobe are key. Talented Models tend to be able to do their own styling well but if you can get a good Stylist in the shoot that will win you a trade shoot at minimal cost.

This only works if you can produce images of quality. Merely hiring the Model is not enough. Now if your images suck ass then you've got the problem and you need to
work on that or you just throw good money after bad.

If you can produce publish quality work and/or create a unique and distinct style then you'll have positioned yourself to have negotiating leverage when pursuing similar level talent.

Sep 01 11 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

DystopianStudios

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm rich, biatch.

Sep 02 11 01:30 am Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Lumigraphics wrote:
I have worked with somewhere north of 250 models since Jan 2009, many more than once. Let's say I paid them each an average of $200 per shoot.

That's well over $50,000.

Needless to say, that's insane.

I catch flak for not paying models, but what should I do? I simply don't have that kind of money, and probably never will.

I've also worked with over 250 models, I do a mix of arrangements.  Until the past year or so I was well ahead, paid my tax.  Times are tough, more models turning professional trying to make a living themselves.  Expenses are going up.  Its crunch time for a lot of photographers (and models).

A recent model I worked with said she wasn't keeping up with her expenses, that lots of time was going into arranging and setting up shoots, lotsa of bookings were falling through.  She was actually thinking about getting a real job.

Sep 02 11 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Klix Imagez

Tompkinsville, Kentucky, US

Shon,
If you hold Workshops or M&G's  I'll be there

Sep 02 11 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

if you have a local fashion scene , become part of it ,,, make friends with models , mua's , stylists etc , get them interested in your vision and projects , shoot with them and give them results ..create win win situations

Sep 02 11 07:16 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

Andrew Thomas Evans wrote:
Well if I got rid of my drinking issue, ate at home more than 4 times a month, stopped money going into my IRA, and didn't buy a MotoGuzzi, didn't have a gf (they are more expensive than the bike!), then yes - I'd have plenty of money to pay models.

It's all about budgeting!

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

I was with you all the way until you mentioned the MotoGuzzi. You have to have the bike man. What were you thinking?

Sep 02 11 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Dobias Fine Art Photo wrote:
You're in Virginia Beach.  Norfolk is the city built by Camp Followers.  You have very physically fit (due to the military) male and female models all around you.  I've seen shoots at Virginia Beach in February for local calendars where you could see the look on the models' faces.  "It seemed like a good idea at the time.  BUT IT'S COLD!" 

The calendars were highly local crap.  But, there was no shortage of models.

Absolutely NOT BUYING IT when you say you have difficulty in getting models in Virginia Beach.  While I laugh at the guys who pay for plane tickets and hotel rooms, maybe they are in the badlands of South Dakota. 

But, for you to say you are having difficulties getting models in Virginia Beach is WORSE than someone in Fort Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, or Panama City saying they are having problems, because those are seasonal cities while Virginia Beach has hotties captive for six years.  AND you've got Old Dominion University, too.

Just not buyin' it.

Just reviewed your shots.  The male work is good.

I'm picky. I'm a fashion photographer.

Sep 04 11 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

For personal work, I just make sure that I schedule any paid shoot for a time when I KNOW I will have money, which is about every other pay period from my day job.

Sep 04 11 05:40 pm Link