Forums > Photography Talk > Pocket Wizard Plus III

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

http://plusiii.pocketwizard.com/

Came across this this morning and didn't see it posted.  Looks nifty!

Strobist says $139.

Feb 20 12 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Feb 20 12 06:57 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

32 Channels.  About five years too late!  I already own 11 of the older ones.  All of my clients have the older ones.  I will buy a couple, and they are kewl, but I wish they had supported more channels years ago.

In any event, woot, better late than never.

Feb 20 12 08:01 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

God dammit.  I just bought another plus II.

Feb 20 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

ei Total Productions wrote:
32 Channels.  About five years too late!

Yeah, they lost my business five years ago.  They were the King and no one even came close.  But they sat on their asses, do nothing.  They don't deserve my business. 

wink

Feb 20 12 08:11 am Link

Photographer

MDS-Photos

Darlington, South Carolina, US

James Ogilvie wrote:

HaHa, I know the feeling. I got 4 plus II's but I've had them for a while. The plus III looks interesting though smile.

Feb 20 12 08:12 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MDS-Photos wrote:

HaHa, I know the feeling. I got 4 plus II's but I've had them for a while. The plus III looks interesting though smile.

It does look interesting.

Although now that I think about it, I'd have to get rid of and rebuy a bunch of these things for even one of them to be very useful.  So...whatever.  lol

Feb 20 12 08:18 am Link

Photographer

JAE

James Ogilvie wrote:

Doh! I was going to order another one this week then caught this announcement.

I can't find a release date for the III though. Any idea how long after announcement before they are available typically?

Feb 20 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JAE Photography PA wrote:

I can't find a release date for the III though. Any idea how long after announcement before they are available typically?

I don't know.

Feb 20 12 08:28 am Link

Photographer

dms graphix

Looks like a great product for a great price.  Thanks for the tip.  I don't think these are TTL compatible with the Nikon flashes, though -- something to keep in mind for those wanting to use their Nikon (or Canon) flashes wirelessly off camera with radio triggers.

Feb 20 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

dms graphix wrote:
Looks like a great product for a great price.  Thanks for the tip.  I don't think these are TTL compatible with the Nikon flashes, though -- something to keep in mind for those wanting to use their Nikon (or Canon) flashes wirelessly off camera with radio triggers.

They are not for TTL.   They are a mid-range product designed to fit in between the PWII and the Multi-Max.  Essentially it is the PWII replacement.

Feb 20 12 08:39 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

dms graphix wrote:

If they don't do TTL then the competition (Pixel, etc) had this years ago.  a gazillion channels and multiple zones A B C D E F Gee whiz - that's not old news it's ancient news.
I can't believe how far behind the market they have fallen. They used to own this space

Feb 20 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

larsen222

Burlington, Vermont, US

dms graphix wrote:

These and the multi-max's are not TTL for any brand; the MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 are TTL. Too much guessing for me whether TTL wil give me the results I want - much prefer manual, that way I KNOW I'll get what I want. Which is why I use multimax's or Plus's.

Feb 20 12 08:45 am Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

dms graphix wrote:

They are not TTL compatible, but you could possibly use one to retrain your Mini/Flex if you find yourself in an environment where others are using the two channels you preprogrammed into your TTL triggers.

I really like these because of the groups, lack of which in the PlusII caused me to only buy MultiMax before.  The PlusIII gives almost all the functionality I need, and appears to have a much nicer (easier) interface than the MultiMax.

Feb 20 12 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I had to laugh at this:
"LPA Design, manufacturers of PocketWizard Photo Products, the world leader in reliable wireless control of cameras, flash lighting and light meters..."

As if the whole MiniTT1/FlexTT5 debacle never happened...

Feb 20 12 08:49 am Link

Photographer

sublime LightWorks

Atlanta, Georgia, US

B&H supposedly has them for order now.

Feb 20 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

JAE

sublime LightWorks wrote:

B&H supposedly has them for order now.

Just found them up for preorder - March 15th.

Feb 20 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:
I had to laugh at this:
"LPA Design, manufacturers of PocketWizard Photo Products, the world leader in reliable wireless control of cameras, flash lighting and light meters..."

As if the whole MiniTT1/FlexTT5 debacle never happened...

Adspeak

Feb 20 12 10:44 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I guess, if one's primary photographic focus is shooting at group events, then this might offer some value. I'm not sure how much value it offers though, for the conventional studio shooter, over the PWII or even the PW.

For me, four channels is completely adequate. I have a mix of PW's and PWII's and they fire everything reliably. I'm good.

Feb 20 12 10:44 am Link

Photographer

sultanphotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am actually going to sell a bunch of PWII if anyone is interested.

Feb 20 12 11:15 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

The price is going down. That's good.

Feb 20 12 11:16 am Link

Photographer

sublime LightWorks

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just found them up for preorder - March 15th.

Yep, $139.

Feb 20 12 11:16 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

John Allan wrote:
I guess, if one's primary photographic focus is shooting at group events, then this might offer some value. I'm not sure how much value it offers though, for the conventional studio shooter, over the PWII or even the PW.

For me, four channels is completely adequate. I have a mix of PW's and PWII's and they fire everything reliably. I'm good.

It is interesting, I would have a lot of use for them.  I was just about to buy a pair of Multi-Max.   I do group shoots but it won't be much use because my clients don't have them.  I am stuck with four channels.

On the other hand, we have several photographers in our building and I sometimes have channel conflicts.  I would love it so I could go to channel 12, or whatever.  I would never have to worry about my neighbors.

Feb 20 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

sultanphotography wrote:

I will probably sell four of mind for $100 each and replace them with PWIII's.

Feb 20 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

Joe McNally got to play with a bunch of 'em (surprise, huh?) wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNpN7gXs438&hd=1

Feb 20 12 11:21 am Link

Photographer

NC Art Photos

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

They are not for TTL.   They are a mid-range product designed to fit in between the PWII and the Multi-Max.  Essentially it is the PWII replacement.

And $30 less than the PWII - hard to beat that!  Wonder what price the old PWIIs will start going for.  I get tired of seeing someone selling old PWII for $10-20 less than the price of a new one!

Feb 20 12 11:24 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Check out the Phottix Stratos line.  A good high quality alternative to Pocket Wizards.  Very well built product. Good pricing too.  I think PW knows  they have competition. I don't have PW's  so those that do will probably stay with PW  as  the investment in equipment. Those that  are looking and have no wireless triggers yet may want to look at the Phottix  line  as well as PWs'

Feb 20 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

March 15th. I received this info from MacGroup.

Feb 20 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Adspeak

yes, but it's important to remember there is a reason they once dominated the market. For a while it was everyone else's debacles we talked about and only PWs were reliable. they were trying to push the limits again, just without the same engineering finesse they managed the first time round.

Feb 20 12 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

NC Art Photos wrote:
And $30 less than the PWII - hard to beat that!  Wonder what price the old PWIIs will start going for.  I get tired of seeing someone selling old PWII for $10-20 less than the price of a new one!

I think I will put some of mine up for sale for $100 and replace them with PWIII's.   I expect the price of the PWII+ to drop.

Feb 20 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

I might wait and see how much the PWIIs drop.  If I can get them used for like $80 I will just grab a few of those rather then the new ones.

Feb 20 12 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

I use Multimax's and I was just about to pull the trigger on ordering a few more... i have enough already for when I need to use the advanced features of the MM, I just need a few more, I can get 2 of these for the price of 1 MM and be able to use all 32 channels and groups! Happy I waited!!!

Feb 20 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

liddellphoto

London, England, United Kingdom

larsen222 wrote:

These and the multi-max's are not TTL for any brand; the MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 are TTL. Too much guessing for me whether TTL wil give me the results I want - much prefer manual, that way I KNOW I'll get what I want. Which is why I use multimax's or Plus's.

The big advantage of the flex system is remotely controlling the power manually, you don't have to use TTL.

Feb 20 12 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

sultanphotography wrote:

PM me with your prices pls.

Feb 20 12 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Does Plus III compatible with II? Can we trigger it?
I'll probably sell a few Plus II.

Feb 20 12 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I use this and once you figure it out it's pretty cool.
http://paulcbuff.com/cc.php

Feb 20 12 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

Quang Dang wrote:
Does Plus III compatible with II? Can we trigger it?
I'll probably sell a few Plus II.

PWIIIs work with the older models, yes.

Feb 20 12 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jamez

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Okay, I love my PWMM's (I really do), but why would I want to buy more MM's with this out now?

On the MM I use the intervolmeter occasionally (but these days the camera can do it), can anyone else think of any other reason to buy a MM now?

Seriously, what am I missing? This thing can do zones, remote camera, signal relay etc? Why would anyone buy a MM now?

Feb 21 12 07:44 am Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

Jamez wrote:
Okay, I love my PWMM's (I really do), but why would I want to buy more MM's with this out now?

On the MM I use the intervolmeter occasionally (but these days the camera can do it), can anyone else think of any other reason to buy a MM now?

Seriously, what am I missing? This thing can do zones, remote camera, signal relay etc? Why would anyone buy a MM now?

Three things I can see:
1.  if you need to keep the camera awake
2.  if you need to fine tune the contact time
3.  if you use a private channel

Feb 21 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm use Pocketwizards 1
Don't see the need to spend more cash!

Feb 21 12 08:27 am Link