Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Fotticelli wrote:

No kidding. All this whining annoys the crap out of me.

I could say the same thing for the whinny photographers in a joke thread.

May 23 14 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

Cervezax wrote:
I definitely do not like:
-when photographers ask to shoot but do not have a concept in mind. That makes me feel like they're up to something shady.

I normally invite the model to look at my portfolio and decide if they'd like to shoot with me before I come up with a concept. This isn't always the case - sometimes I come up with what I think is a great concept and happen upon a model who fits the concept, but usually I try to design the shoot for the model's look.

I'm not up to anything shady. Really.

Besides, it seems to me a guy with a concept can be just as shady as one without.

May 23 14 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

This thread is old but I am just reading over the comments from the models. Seems like opinions are all across the board, just like the population in general.

May 23 14 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Evenfall Photography

Menifee, California, US

Fotticelli wrote:
I hate it when photographers leave the studio a mess after their shoots. Or use my stuff and don't put it back.

I get back at them by drinking their beer from the fridge. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Serves them right. smile

The one thing that I've caught myself doing from time to time that annoys even me, is that I will ask a question twice within 30 seconds of asking the first time:

"Would you like something to drink or snack on?"

30 seconds later...

"Would you like something to drink or... wait don't answer that. Apparently, I've had too many drinks already."

May 23 14 02:00 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I kind of don't like when people post castings merely a few hours before the actual event.
hmm

May 23 14 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

....when we reply to posts directed to models, in the model forum?   smile

May 23 14 02:07 pm Link

Model

Sabrina Marshall

Mesa, Arizona, US

When they delete the original casting call and then get offended/testy when I ask them what the compensation was. I'm sorry; I respond to 2 or 3 a day, I don't memorize the amounts for each one.

Had one do it to me last night; then this morning he canceled the shoot and blocked me with no explanation. Boggles the mind.

May 28 14 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Selina Lee wrote:
When they delete the original casting call and then get offended/testy when I ask them what the compensation was. I'm sorry; I respond to 2 or 3 a day, I don't memorize the amounts for each one.

Had one do it to me last night; then this morning he canceled the shoot and blocked me with no explanation. Boggles the mind.

Some models quote the casting in their first message to me.  If you are having this problem repeatedly perhaps having the details in the email thread would be a good idea.  I get annoyed when people ask for information that is in the casting.  It never ocured to me that you can't see the casting after the date it expires, or the photographer may be like "oh I found someone a yas well delete the casting.

May 28 14 09:45 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Having a 9am call time but when I get there, spend 2 hours setting up lights, breaking them, then trying to fix the set even though you said this would all be done BEFORE I arrived. I could still be sleeping 😒

May 29 14 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Selina Lee wrote:

You could write it down so you don't forget. Also the photographer probably felt all you cared about was the money. That is a bit insulting. Most want you to be interested on the project not just the cash

May 29 14 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Big Mark Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

You could write it down so you don't forget. Also the photographer probably felt all you cared about was the money. That is a bit insulting. Most want you to be interested on the project not just the cash

...in every commercial job as a photographer I've taken I care more about the cash than the project.  I want to pay my rent, I want to eat.  Why should it be different for models?  There is nothing insulting about being asked "what am I getting paid?"

May 29 14 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Big Mark Photography wrote:
...in every commercial job as a photographer I've taken I care more about the cash than the project.  I want to pay my rent, I want to eat.  Why should it be different for models?  There is nothing insulting about being asked "what am I getting paid?"

Then I would never hire you. Sure you should get paid I never said you shouldn't . I hire many people over a year and hundreds over the last 40 years. If the the first thing out of their mouth was their pay, those people never were hired.

Show interest in the project and then ask about pay.

May 30 14 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

When they post in threads in the Model Colloquy section. yikes

May 30 14 07:12 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Los Angeles, California, US

Asking questions about my personal life, i.e. questions about sex, who I am dating, what my favorite positions are and omg.....I could write a book about all the inappropriate things that photogs have tried to discuss.

When I politely decline I'm considered "mean" or don't hear from that photographer again. 

I have only become good friends with a few. Of course, they were the ones who never tried to hit on, kiss or touch me.

May 30 14 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Big Mark Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Then I would never hire you. Sure you should get paid I never said you shouldn't . I hire many people over a year and hundreds over the last 40 years. If the the first thing out of their mouth was their pay, those people never were hired.

Show interest in the project and then ask about pay.

...who exactly said they didn't show interest in the project and then asked about the pay?  Who said it was the first thing out of their mouth?  It is pretty obvious that if they had already been cast then it wouldn't have been the first words.  The casting call had been deleted, and she was asking how much compensation she would get. 

Do you really get offended when someone asks a straightforward question?  You've never had anyone pretend to be interested in one of your projects just to get the paycheck? 

I've hired hundreds of people myself over the last twenty years and I don't recall ever being offended when asked what the pay is going to be.  Pay is simply part of the discussion, it shouldn't matter when it comes up.  Unless, of course as it appears here, you are an artiste.

May 31 14 12:07 am Link