Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Model

Kesharra Weston

Puyallup, Washington, US

What annoys me is when you set up a shoot with a photographer is how much they pressure you into doing stuff you really dint want to do

Mar 12 14 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Kesharra Weston wrote:
What annoys me is when you set up a shoot with a photographer is how much they pressure you into doing stuff you really dint want to do

You should never let that happen!

Mar 12 14 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

CHAD ALAN wrote:
But seriously, a high percentage of models are serious and ready to work, just gotta find them.

And with different personalities, tastes, humor, etc., It would do a photographer good to brush up on interacting with different personalities in the best way possible, so fun is had by all.
smile

Amadea T wrote:
Why don't I come on out there and we'll do an instructional video to that avail?
big_smile

Why? How many different personalities do you encase in that head of yours? smile

Mar 12 14 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

NAZM0

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Kesharra Weston wrote:

Just a question, shouldnt a "no, i prefer not to" be good enough? or do they still insist?

Mar 13 14 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Kesharra Weston wrote:

Say, once, with a smile "Thats not on my todo list, how about this pose instead...".
If they ask again leave.

Mar 13 14 02:22 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

San Francisco, California, US

Jupiter Red  wrote:
I HATE THIS SENTENCE STRUCTURE SOOOOO SOOO MUCH. Exp:

Hi....I wanted to set up a shoot with you.
Love your work...
Curious about what...we would create together.
Let me know...
Love your work, beautiful...

Serioulsy the creepiest thing ever.
"...." Devils work.
Seriously why?
I feel like you're plotting my murder.

Jupiter Red  wrote:
Can we all appreciate how hilarious I am?

Yes, I LOLed!

Been there.

....Jupiter, chocolate kiss, your quote....
makes me laugh...
...smile
it tells me you have a fun personality...
...let's shoot together....
see... what we create.

Mar 13 14 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Too many Divas not enough models....

Mar 13 14 05:53 am Link

Model

Jupiter Red

New York, New York, US

Ida Saint-Luc wrote:

Jupiter Red  wrote:

Love your work...
Let me know...

"...." Devils work.
Seriously why?

Yes, I LOLed!

Been there.

....Jupiter, chocolate kiss, your quote....
makes me laugh...
...smile
it tells me you have a fun personality...
...let's shoot together....
see... what we create.

Ha!
Love.
So much
<3

Mar 13 14 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoNoPhoto

Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil

Ivanafox wrote:
You could maybe add ringing me half an hour before a shoot to make sure I'm coming even though I sent a message the night before confirming all details (I'm usually driving to the shoot and can't answer it anyway). It makes me feel like they think I'm flakey and unreliable and I feel insulted. But having said that I understand many models are flakey and unreliable and on the last few shoots I send a text when I leave home and if I wake them because I usually have a lot of travel time- too bad!

I always try to touch base a few hours before a shoot. Usually only if its the first time we have shot together. Most of us have been stood up too many times and left hanging with a rented studio or location. We promise we are not trying to pester you. We just want to make sure we are not going to be sitting waiting for someone who's not going to show.

Unfortunately, I know I am preaching to the model choir on the forums here haha. Keep up the good work everybody.

Mar 13 14 10:01 pm Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

Talking between shots. I mean like, full length conversations.

The only other thing once was someone literally repeatedly begging me and trying to coerce me into doing some nude stuff in the middle of a shoot. (Even after I kept saying no) I told them they could stop or I was leaving. They stopped.

Mar 24 14 06:55 pm Link

Model

Cervezax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I definitely do not like:
-when photographers ask to shoot but do not have a concept in mind. That makes me feel like they're up to something shady.
-when photographers ask to shoot but do not include any details such as ideas, location, or compensation
-when photographers try to turn shoots into dates
-when photographers talk down to the models in the forums and do not expect them to defend themselves
-when photographers do not give any feedback during the shoot (how do I know if I'm giving you what you want?)
-when photographers try to direct me to do poses but do so in a vulgar or overly sexual way that makes me uncomfortable

Also, I know it is a good idea to keep a good relationship with your model after the shoot. However, some photographers just take it to the next level and it comes off creepy. You should be able to read body languages and vibes (after all, you are a photographer) during a shoot to determine what type of relationship you have with your model. After a shoot, it is not always appropriate to keep texting the model things like "good morning beautiful" and adding the model on their personal social networks. Our relationship is a BUSINESS relationship.

Okay, sorry for the novel. I'm done here! smile

Mar 26 14 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Cervezax wrote:
-when photographers ask to shoot but do not have a concept in mind. That makes me feel like they're up to something shady.
-when photographers ask to shoot but do not include any details such as ideas, location, or compensation
-when photographers talk down to the models in the forums and do not expect them to defend themselves
-when photographers do not give any feedback during the shoot (how do I know if I'm giving you what you want?)
-when photographers try to direct me to do poses but do so in a vulgar or overly sexual way that makes me uncomfortable

Also, I know it is a good idea to keep a good relationship with your model after the shoot. However, some photographers just take it to the next level and it comes off creepy. You should be able to read body languages and vibes (after all, you are a photographer) during a shoot to determine what type of relationship you have with your model. After a shoot, it is not always appropriate to keep texting the model things like "good morning beautiful" and adding the model on their personal social networks. Our relationship is a BUSINESS relationship.

Does this bolded part really bother you? I add models on IG and occasionally FB. Social networking is a great thing.

Curious.

Mar 26 14 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Amelia Fae wrote:
Talking between shots. I mean like, full length conversations.

The only other thing once was someone literally repeatedly begging me and trying to coerce me into doing some nude stuff in the middle of a shoot. (Even after I kept saying no) I told them they could stop or I was leaving. They stopped.

You mean no really means no?
But...your eyes were saying yes.

/sarcasm

Mar 26 14 06:51 pm Link

Model

Morganfisher

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

The first time I did implied I was alone. My friend got sick last minute. As soon as I get there this guy offers me a beer knowing I'm 18. Yeah that made me freak out was so nervous the whole time. Maybe it's just me. Also when photographers say sweety. No. Stahp

Mar 27 14 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

SPV Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Morgandanielle wrote:
The first time I did implied I was alone. My friend got sick last minute. As soon as I get there this guy offers me a beer knowing I'm 18. Yeah that made me freak out was so nervous the whole time. Maybe it's just me. Also when photographers say sweety. No. Stahp

You should ALWAYS speak up if the photographer is doing something you don't like. Calling someone sweety is pretty mild, but you certainly have a right to not like it.

Mar 27 14 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

CHAD ALAN wrote:
I've seen a few shoots turn around from quiet and "crickets" in the beginning, to enthusiastic, after just a few well placed words and ideas, and showing the model some shots on the LCD.

smile

I gotta admit that this is one of the perks of shooting with digital....or a polaroid back smile

Mar 27 14 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

CHAD ALAN wrote:
You mean no really means no?
But...your eyes were saying yes.

Like so?

http://youtu.be/xS0XiOLW_Qk

^_^

Mar 27 14 05:09 pm Link

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

When I get images sent back to me literally a year later. Or tagged in them on Facebook.

A year is a long time. I may change my hair style, get new tattoos, ect...if the photos no longer are an accurate representation of what I look like, they are no longer really of any use to me. Plus, if you're committing to a shoot you should commit to editing and getting the model back images in a timely manner or else it's just rude.

Mar 27 14 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SPV Photo wrote:

You should ALWAYS speak up if the photographer is doing something you don't like. Calling someone sweety is pretty mild, but you certainly have a right to not like it.

I'd have to say calling a model "sweety" is awkward and unprofessional as fuck.

Mar 27 14 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Cervezax wrote:

'Concept'?
What concept?
99% of the time the 'concept' consists of: you come to my studio, take off your clothes - or don't - and I photograph you. Sometimes I might even move the lights around if I'm feeling energetic... but don't count on it.

Mar 28 14 08:24 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Morgandanielle wrote:

Beer? 18? Guy was a gent. We start on beer at the age of 6 here... you poor saps...lol

Mar 28 14 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

RKD Photographic wrote:
Sometimes I might even move the lights around if I'm feeling energetic... but don't count on it.

Glad somebody's willing to go the extra mile!

big_smile

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Mar 28 14 08:29 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Another Italian Guy wrote:

Glad somebody's willing to go the extra mile!

big_smile

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Profeshnial, that's me...

Mar 28 14 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Shilo Von Porcelaine wrote:
When I get images sent back to me literally a year later. Or tagged in them on Facebook.

A year is a long time. I may change my hair style, get new tattoos, ect...if the photos no longer are an accurate representation of what I look like, they are no longer really of any use to me. Plus, if you're committing to a shoot you should commit to editing and getting the model back images in a timely manner or else it's just rude.

Yep.

And guilty of same.
Although not a year later.

Mar 30 14 05:47 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shilo Von Porcelaine wrote:

Yeah, I had a photographer tag me in a photo from a shoot I did back in May 2013 just recently. This one kept whining that models were flaking on him. Oh right, taking 10 months to edit a photo is no biggie. hmm

Mar 30 14 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Cervezax wrote:
some photographers just take it to the next level and it comes off creepy.

Professionally speaking:

Damn', you are beautiful!              borat

Mar 30 14 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Morgandanielle wrote:
As soon as I get there this guy offers me a beer knowing I'm 18. Yeah that made me freak out was so nervous the whole time. Maybe it's just me. Also when photographers say sweety. No. Stahp

I am so glad for so many reason that I had the fortune to being born and raised in Germany before I came to the States as an adult...

=================================================
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age#Europe

Germany

14 for beer and wine (with permission of and in the presence of legal guardian)
16 for beer and wine
18 for spirits    

Mar 30 14 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

udor wrote:
I am so glad for so many reason that I had the fortune to being born and raised in Germany before I came to the States as an adult...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age#Europe

Germany

14 for beer and wine (with permission of and in the presence of legal guardian)
16 for beer and wine
18 for spirits    

Hi Udo, I'm having a cold Desperados right now. Prost ;-)

Mar 30 14 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

STAHLWERK wrote:
Hi udor, I'm having a cold Desperados right now. Prost ;-)

Na denn... hoch die Tassen! smile

Mar 30 14 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Amadea T wrote:
This was meant to spark some positive interaction, not a form upheaval over what is and isn't a 'real' or 'proper' photographer/model,  nor the behavior that goes with either.

Can't we all just get along? This used to be fun. Now one must censor one's every breath, or one runs the danger of being forever shunned from the ranks of all that is good and photogenic.

I has a sad. sad

This is MM, 'get along'...you dreamer.
So sweet.

And this should be linked in the photographers forum.
The smart ones can skip the crap, and just learn from the many excellent points.

Mar 31 14 12:43 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Jupiter Red  wrote:

Love your work...
Let me know...

"...." Devils work.
Seriously why?

Your post inspired me to search through the depths of my messages from YEARS ago and find this gem:

Subject: l i k e s

Photog: 2 photo u

Me: Sorry, I don't understand.

Photog: love 2 photo u

smiles ~ (name omitted)

Me: Ok, what are you looking to shoot? And what are you offering in terms of compensation?

Photog: I have to understand where you feel tender.. I want what is in your
heart to be seen and captured in your eyes... can you do that ? I have

Me: Sorry, I do not understand. You're going to have to be more specific. And could you answer my previous questions? Thanks.

Photog: Elizabeta,

NO! i  I desire to photograph you! that is my desire. simple.

That is all, that is the best, as it shall be.

Smiles, Hugs and Love !~ (name omitted)

Me: Ok, great. Can you tell me what kind of shoot you are looking for? And what your offering for compensation?

Photog: Elizabeta

how are you comfortable? I have offered my time and skill, you have yet offered your beauty for a price. romantic as fashion seams, breast
i quest the offering price?

Me: I have no idea what you're trying to say to me. If you want to shoot with me my typical rates are $X per hour.

I am sorry if you feel my tone was not sincere. I was looking at you as feminine beauty. As I still do... never as a hour rate.. that's me not you.. i will remix in my thinking now.. i don't usually pay models.

I just told him to fuck off after that big_smile

Apr 01 14 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Elizabeta Rosandic wrote:

Your post inspired me to search through the depths of my messages from YEARS ago and find this gem:

Subject: l i k e s

Photog: 2 photo u

Me: Sorry, I don't understand.

Photog: love 2 photo u

smiles ~ (name omitted)

Me: Ok, what are you looking to shoot? And what are you offering in terms of compensation?

Photog: I have to understand where you feel tender.. I want what is in your
heart to be seen and captured in your eyes... can you do that ? I have

Me: Sorry, I do not understand. You're going to have to be more specific. And could you answer my previous questions? Thanks.

NO! i  I desire to photograph you! that is my desire. simple.

That is all, that is the best, as it shall be.

Smiles, Hugs and Love !~ (name omitted)

Me: Ok, great. Can you tell me what kind of shoot you are looking for? And what your offering for compensation?

Photog: Elizabeta

how are you comfortable? I have offered my time and skill, you have yet offered your beauty for a price. romantic as fashion seams, breast
i quest the offering price?

Me: I have no idea what you're trying to say to me. If you want to shoot with me my typical rates are $X per hour.

I am sorry if you feel my tone was not sincere. I was looking at you as feminine beauty. As I still do... never as a hour rate.. that's me not you.. i will remix in my thinking now.. i don't usually pay models.

I just told him to fuck off after that big_smile

lol

Apr 01 14 02:17 pm Link

Model

Valhallas_Angel

Tucson, Arizona, US

In December, I didn't realize exactly how amateur someone who was paying to shoot me was, and I had to set up his lighting for him, plus I kept saying I needed to leave at a certain hour (before dark). and he kept me two hours extra, I still haven't figured out what to do if that happens again, such double my rate for every extra hour, but that seems a bit harsh to me...still thinking on that one...tongue

Apr 01 14 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

Naila Nude wrote:
I know with my generation I should have no complaints,
but it grinds-my-gears when I give a photographer my number to call me and he/she text simply messages me.  I like to have a verbal conversation before confirming a shoot.

I prefer text to verbal communications for two reasons. First, I'm hard of hearing and so dislike phone conversations in general. Second, I like to have a written record, because I'm usually trying to set up several shoots at any one time and I like to be able to bring up a record of what was said to whom and when.

May 22 14 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Cervezax wrote:

Sometimes I have a look or concept in mind already. Sometimes the looks we shoot will depend on the circumstances yet to be determined. What is established, though, is a desire to shoot together; the details we can work out. If a model thinks that's shady, that's her loss.

May 22 14 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I've been told from several models that they like how much critique I give during the shoot. They say they like that I give direction when needed and talk to them through the shoot. They also seem to love when I show them a few shots in the camera, It seems to get them excited to get better results and it makes them feel like they're doing really well.

And as far as pet names, I don't think I've ever had a model get offended at me for referring to them as doll face. But it might also be because I'm a woman and it's not me trying to pick them up. I wouldn't suggest photographers use pet names unless you know for certain it will not offend or scare the model. I've had other photographers call me sugar lips and sweetie before, it didn't bother me as long as they meant it as a friendly gesture and not a sleazy come on. Some times it's hard to tell the difference though and you should always clarify if it bothers you, models.

May 22 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Michael N P

Roseville, California, US

This is a very old thread but timeless in content.  I can't tell you from a model's perspective and I hesitate to contribute because this is a model's thread but I have seen other photographers .. I hesitate to say contribute; some contributed, some trolled.

What I dislike is photographers ruining the reputation of the rest of us by acting inappropriately.  Models should be told in advance what the shoot consists of and not push for any more.  The skill level of the photographer should be disclosed.  There is nothing wrong with saying "this is my very first shoot."  I disclose on my profile what I am interested in and that I shoot for the love of art and fun.  I've had fantastic shoots and total disasters. 

If photographers behaved models would enjoy their work more and there would be less suspicion of photographers the models have not worked with before.  I truly like most of the models that I have met and would hate to think of them in a situation that makes them feel unhappy with their choice to model.

I salute all the models that are patient, caring, punctual, and professional!  Without you, there would be so much less art in this world.

May 22 14 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

I hate it when the photographer does a fake Australian accent, goes all crocodile hunter and is like
" Ohhh ISN'T SHE A BEAUTY!, here she is in her natural habitat. Proud strong, magnificent. I want to touch her But I am scared..., "
Then from behind the photographer the voice of a model " hey douchebag, you going to pay attention to me some time today?"

Throwing her an annoyed glance the photographer replies; " SHHHH, QUIET!  I am admiring my gear"

( this wasn't me... i sware...)  smile

May 22 14 11:16 pm Link

Model

L J K

Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand

I worked with a photographer that refused to set up a shoot without a phone call. That's cool, that's fairly normal for online bookings. But not when the phone call is 45 minutes of me saying "mhmm" and him telling me full length stories about a model's life. Even when I tried directing the conversation to wardrobe or even direction of the shoot, he kept gabbin' away until the last 30 seconds where he quick told me to bring basic jeans and tanks.

Yo dude, I don't care much to know about the girl that cried because you wouldn't shoot TF with her so her mom called you, and when she came into the studio....yada yada. Let's confirm times, concepts, wardrobes, compensation and hang up.

May 23 14 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Too many Divas not enough models....

No kidding. All this whining annoys the crap out of me.

May 23 14 10:13 am Link