Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Erlinda wrote:
Suck it. Hobbyist aren't photographers.... They are hobbyist! There for I am not disrespecting photographers.... I was making a joke, no need to get your panties in a twist

udor wrote:
I actually disagree, Erlinda.

A photographer is someone who uses that medium to create images.

A professional photographer is someone who is getting paid to take photos.

A hobbyist/amateur photographer is someone who has an income from another source, but can often produce professional level photography.

Being a professional is no guarantee that the photos are actually "good".

There are people who work in another field but have a fully equipped photo studio and are happy to create art... in my opinion... they are photographers...

The terms professional and hobbyist/amateur are simply labels to describe sources of income...

Erlinda wrote:
It's your opinion and we will just agree to disagree. I would call them an artist but not a photographer. (My opinion) wink

Erlinda, it may be *your* opinion, but it also happens to be incorrect.  A photographer is a person that takes photographs.  Any person. That's it. That's the actual definition of the word, and Udor is spot on. 

What you like to think does not change the reality of the actual and correct definition of the word "photographer."

Mar 09 14 11:38 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

P I X I E wrote:
Sure, people gossip, I just find there's a time and place for it.

I just don't like having a photographer talk shit about how models are flaky and unreliable, IN MY FACE. Or how some photographer is such a creep. Trust me, I've witnessed a lot of stuff like that and it makes me unconformable at best.

I've had a few 'photographers' show me images of another model's spreads. 
And I mean spreads. As in Pink stuff. Here's some TMI: One of them was not clean. *cringe*
(Yea, I can never, ever unsee that,  and now I'm taking you all down with me!!! You dirty fuckers!!!! )

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  What a world!!!! I'm melting!!!!!! 
*claws at face*

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amadea T wrote:

The one in Texas sucked baws. But then, if ya don't eat meat, whaddaya eat in Texas!?!?  (acutally, Pappadeaux's bestest fucking lunch under $25: dozen slimeys, dry martiny, pepper crusted raw tuna with avocado. DA SHIZNIT. !)

http://toronto.lovinghut.ca/index.html

Their desserts are by the company I'll be working for, Sweets From The Earth. And I can definitely vouch for them. big_smile

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amadea T wrote:

I've had a few 'photographers' show me images of another model's spreads. 
And I mean spreads. As in Pink stuff. Here's some TMI: One of them was not clean. *cringe*
(Yea, I can never, ever unsee that,  and now I'm taking you all down with me!!! You dirty fuckers!!!! )

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  What a world!!!! I'm melting!!!!!! 
*claws at face*

...Why were they showing you those in the first place??? yikes sad

Mar 09 14 11:39 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

P I X I E wrote:

http://toronto.lovinghut.ca/index.html

Their desserts are by the company I'll be working for, Sweets From The Earth. And I can definitely vouch for them. big_smile

DUDE!!!! Do NOT get me started on that fucking everything free and totally moist (yeah, baby. I said it. You're welcome. ) chooooooocoooooooolaaaaate cake!!! Who needs sex any more!?

Mar 09 14 11:39 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amadea T wrote:

DUDE!!!! Do NOT get me started on that fucking everything free and totally moist (yeah, baby. I said it. You're welcome. ) chooooooocoooooooolaaaaate cake!!! Who needs sex any more!?

http://www.sweetsfromtheearth.com/product.html?pid=33 wink

Mar 09 14 11:41 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

P I X I E wrote:

...Why were they showing you those in the first place??? yikes sad

One was showing me 'their work', while explaining that said 'model' took them for a few hundred extra to have them go down on her.

Same 'model' took two photogs like that for months (cause they were, like, 'seeing' each other... yeah, right!), for several thousands, as I found out later... when I burst a couple of lonely bubbles... only a coupla hundred miles apart...

So good for reputations and business. *sigh*

Sometimes I refuse to even consider that those bitches belong to the same species.

Mar 09 14 11:42 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amadea T wrote:

One was showing me 'their work', while explaining that said 'model' took them for a few hundred extra to have them go down on her.

Same 'model' took two photogs like that for months (cause they were, like, 'seeing' each other... yeah, right!), for several thousands, as I found out later... when I burst a couple of lonely bubbles... only a coupla hundred miles apart...

So good for reputations and business. *sigh*

Sometimes I refuse to even consider that those bitches belong to the same species.

Damn. hmm

Mar 09 14 11:44 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

P I X I E wrote:

http://www.sweetsfromtheearth.com/product.html?pid=33 wink

GAR.

Revenge:

(make sure your dude *cough splutter clears throat pardon* I mean Husband 'stumbles' over this site BEFORE the next big anniversary, lady!)
http://www.annsummers.com/

Mar 09 14 11:44 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amadea T wrote:

GAR.

Revenge:

(make sure your dude *cough splutter clears throat pardon* I mean Husband 'stumbles' over this site BEFORE the next big anniversary, lady!)
http://www.annsummers.com/

borat big_smile

Mar 09 14 11:45 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

P I X I E wrote:
Damn. hmm

Dis.
Gus.
Ting.

Problem was, both the fellas were genuinely nice people and IMHO actually not creepy in the slightest. Besides the ...well. Whatever. Lonely curmudgeons with plenty of baggage. Chef don't judge.

Or they were just scared of me... No, they were perfectly respectful of my boundaries and did not try anything on.

Mar 09 14 11:46 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Erlinda wrote:
I'm just stating my opinion that someone that does photography as a hobby is NOT a photographer. big_smile

sad  I have seen many newbie hobbyist out shoot so call photographers who claim 20 + years of experience.

Mar 09 14 11:48 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

barepixels wrote:

sad  I have seen many newbie hobbyist out shoot so call photographers who claim 20 + years of experience.

Me too.

Mar 09 14 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

JLC Images wrote:

Not all gossip has to be super negative.  Besides, I have yet to meet a model, photographer or human that doesn't gossip a little.  So serious.

Gossip is what you do with your friends not with people you will probably never see again.

I personally listen to models talk about their lives etc.... Very fascinating, you should try it wink

Mar 09 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

JLC Images wrote:

Not all gossip has to be super negative.  Besides, I have yet to meet a model, photographer or human that doesn't gossip a little.  So serious.

Gossip is what you do with your friends not with people you will probably never see again.

I personally listen to models talk about their lives etc.... Very fascinating, you should try it wink

Mar 09 14 11:51 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

barepixels wrote:

Erlinda is incorrect, and her opinion does not change the actual definition of the word "photographer."

Erlinda- I love your work, but you are not any more of a "photographer" than the hobbyists.  You're a "professional" photographer, which only means you make money/make a living off of your work.

Mar 09 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Amadea T wrote:
I found The Loving Hut (sounds like a brothel, is but an eatery! a VEGAN one!!! Amazing flavors, textures, it's healthy and it's cheap!!!)

I would be perfectly fine with a vegan/vegetarian brothel as long as they don't serve beans, (I like beans. I just don't think they would mesh well in a vegetarian brothel; or any type of brothel).

Mar 09 14 12:02 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

dp

Mar 09 14 12:02 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

CDP Photo wrote:

I would be perfectly fine with a vegan/vegetarian brothel as long as they don't serve beans, (I like beans. I just don't think they would mesh well in a vegetarian brothel; or any type of brothel).

Don't you concern yourself with brothels now, young man...are you studying for the quiz? smile

Mar 09 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

barepixels wrote:

So have I.... But I still don't call them photographers sad

Mar 09 14 12:14 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

facepalm

Mar 09 14 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Erlinda is incorrect, and her opinion does not change the actual definition of the word "photographer."

Erlinda- I love your work, but you are not any more of a "photographer" than the hobbyists.  You're a "professional" photographer, which only means you make money/make a living off of your work.

It's just my opinion. It's not correct to you but to me it is.

P.s thank you for the kind words. You are a very beautiful woman and I love your portfolio smile

Mar 09 14 12:16 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Erlinda, it may be *your* opinion, but it also happens to be incorrect.  A photographer is a person that takes photographs.  Any person. That's it. That's the actual definition of the word, and Udor is spot on. 

What you like to think does not change the reality of the actual and correct definition of the word "photographer."

+1,000

Mar 09 14 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Erlinda wrote:
Suck it. Hobbyist aren't photographers.... They are hobbyist! There for I am not disrespecting photographers.... I was making a joke, no need to get your panties in a twist

udor wrote:
I actually disagree, Erlinda.

A photographer is someone who uses that medium to create images.

A professional photographer is someone who is getting paid to take photos.

A hobbyist/amateur photographer is someone who has an income from another source, but can often produce professional level photography.

Being a professional is no guarantee that the photos are actually "good".

There are people who work in another field but have a fully equipped photo studio and are happy to create art... in my opinion... they are photographers...

The terms professional and hobbyist/amateur are simply labels to describe sources of income...

+1

Mar 09 14 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

Us hobbyist shouldn't be concern with the label "photographer"  We should care how we can excell with the "craftmanship"

BTW Amelia Simon (Mayhem #2277933) and I won MM photo of the day  today  YAY

Go congrats her   https://www.modelmayhem.com/2277933

Mar 09 14 12:29 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

barepixels wrote:
Us hobbyist shouldn't be concern with the label "photographer"  We should care how we can excell with the "craftmanship"

Congrats to the both of you!  smile

Mar 09 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Congrats to the both of you!  smile

Thank you, She deserve most of the credits.  I just stood there, played "simon says" and "click"

Mar 09 14 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Art Silva wrote:
Most annoying thing photographers do? ^^^ that.

Disrespecting other photographers to drive their ego.

Erlinda wrote:
Suck it. Hobbyist aren't photographers.... They are hobbyist! There for I am not disrespecting photographers.... I was making a joke, no need to get your panties in a twist tongue

So Erlinda, are you saying I am not a "photographer"?

I don't make a living or bother to market my work yet I have been a (published) hobbyist for three decades, process my own film/print work, use darkrooms and shoot every kind of camera I can get my hands on.

By your logic I have no business making photos and calling myself a photographer if I don't shoot portrait/fashion for clients. That's ridiculous.

Getting paid to shoot digital fashion portraits does not constitute the title of photographer if you are comparing yourself to someone who is a true student of the craft in every photo medium. (like how I flipped the script there?) tongue

The study of capturing light... That is what Photography means btw.
A photographer is one who practices photography.

Mar 09 14 01:11 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Jesus fuck this is annoying. tongue

Can you just agree to disagree on a bloody definition? It's like a fucking kindergarten in here sometimes.

I'm outta here.

Mar 09 14 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

barepixels wrote:

Congratulations!  She is a great model.

Mar 09 14 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Wow!

Mar 09 14 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

I live by a simple rule...Leave these women alone.

Mar 09 14 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Eric Jackson wrote:
I live by a simple rule...Leave these women alone.

.. except for the couple of hours when they're actually in front of a photographer hobbyist lame old fart GWC pervert's camera, of course!

borat

Mar 09 14 02:54 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jupiter Red  wrote:
I HATE THIS SENTENCE STRUCTURE SOOOOO SOOO MUCH. Exp:

Hi....I wanted to set up a shoot with you.
Love your work...
Curious about what...we would create together.
Let me know...
Love your work, beautiful...

Serioulsy the creepiest thing ever.
"...." Devils work.
Seriously why?
I feel like you're plotting my murder.

Pet peeves :

1. When the same photog messages me repeatedly, asking to shoot on a tf basis
After I've politely explained I don't wana shoot tf with you.
Starting a new convo thread will not cause amnesia
I remember you dude.

2. Feeling the need to tell me what I can/ cannot do.
"You're only 5'8, just shoot nudes." I don't recall asking for your opinion. Kiss my ass.

3. Fashion photogs who contact me for "secret" tf nude projects, and then refuse to shoot clothed work with me. You don't deserve my nakedness.

4. Pet names
I'm not your babe, sweetie, babygirl, angel, chocolate drop

5. Calling me Chocolate kiss
6. Calling me Chocolate dream
7. Calling me Chocolate
Like dude, I'm black,that shit is weird.

8. "Grrrr" Seriously I have had photogs (growl?) at me.
Why in the holy hell would you make that sound at me.
I hope you choke.

9. There is a difference btw wanting me to play a "role" in a shoot
And tryna turn it into a personal fantasy.
Yes we can shoot a sexy school girl shoot.
No I will not be "your" sexy school girl .

Ugh so glad to get this stuff off my chest
big_smile

Funniest post I've read in a while; thanks for the laugh!

Mar 09 14 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Erlinda wrote:

I am friends, friendly or become friends with the people I shoot, now THAT you should try!
smile

Mar 09 14 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

everything i do is annoying. i want my models uncomfortable, and slightly pissed off smile

Mar 09 14 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Erlinda wrote:

The actual definition by dictionary.com pulse oxford dictionary is

photographer
fəˈtɒgrəfə/
noun
a person who takes photographs, especially as a job.
"a freelance press photographer"
synonyms:    lensman, paparazzo, documentarian;

Soooooooo I'll stick to my opinion. And you can stick to yours big_smile

Mar 09 14 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

JLC Images wrote:
I am friends, friendly or become friends with the people I shoot, now THAT you should try!
smile

I'm friends with some of the people I work with. Being friendly and becoming friends with people doesn't mean that you should gossip. If someone was trying to become friends with me and all they did was gossip, all I'd be thinking is wow I can only imagine what they'd say about me behind my back.

Like I said before gossiping is something that is done with good friends not randoms you are getting to know. hmm

Mar 09 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Erlinda wrote:

photographer
fəˈtɒgrəfə/
noun

I see the problem, you are skipping the main (1st) primary definition. Highlighting an example is just that, an example of the person who takes photographs.
her, I' re do it and you'll see where the inflection of the definition is...

photographer
fəˈtɒgrəfə/
noun

That there means a person (= anyone) who makes photographs. You just highlighted ONE example of a photographer. lol

So would you NOT call a person who cooks meals for free a cook? or a hobbyist?

Mar 09 14 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Erlinda wrote:

photographer
fəˈtɒgrəfə/
noun

facepalm

Nice job adding the bold, but it would appear you're about 5 words too late.

Mar 09 14 04:15 pm Link