Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

V Laroche wrote:
Man, I just hate chimping. That's all.

There's "chimping" and then there's "CHIMPING" smile

It's ok to dial in your shot using the monitor and histogram before each lighting change, say 3-5 shots.

But a little disruptive to stop after every shot to make sure you're getting it right.

Outdoors with changing lighting conditions, movement and things like high speed sync, I tend to look at the LCD a little more.

Feb 20 14 02:42 am Link

Model

Veronika Vitkina

Brooklyn, New York, US

1- Makes me pose in ways that i know are either cheesy or unflattering (hands on hips, legs apart, looking over the shoulder-this in one shot)
2- Makes me hold a pose for 5 minutes while they adjust the light (umm it not going to look natural)
3- Dont actively participate, by that i mean give little tips and tweaks (hair sticking out, cant see a body part, jewelry got twisted, etc) that could make an ok photo into a great photo
4- Dont know what their concept it, no inspiration, no purpose, just clicking away
5- Who photoshop photos where the face looks oily (personal taste)
6- Who bring their assistant who also happens to have a camera and would like a few shots as well

Feb 20 14 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

on the behalf of all photographers

I sorry

and for the record, I never fed the OP smile
but I may have asked her to feed me.

Feb 20 14 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Callen Photography

Buffalo, New York, US

Hmmm…Whenever possible with amateur models (amateur meaning it isn't their money making career) I meet with the model (normally for coffee) PRIOR to shooting with them to talk about the shoot…discuss the images we're after…discuss comfort level, and so on.  I get a sense of what it would be like to work with the model and they get a sense of what it would be like to work with me.  I do this for paid shoots…as well as shoots I'm doing TF.  So when the day of the shoot comes, the model and I already have a rapport…we're on exactly the same page about the content of the shoot…the images we're after…and so on.  No surprises at all…No boundary issues…etc.  I have found that these meetings lead to more productive shoots as well as better images in the end.  Communication is the key.

Just my thoughts...

Feb 20 14 08:25 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Veronika Vitkina  wrote:
1- Makes me pose in ways that i know are either cheesy or unflattering (hands on hips, legs apart, looking over the shoulder-this in one shot)
2- Makes me hold a pose for 5 minutes while they adjust the light (umm it not going to look natural)
3- Dont actively participate, by that i mean give little tips and tweaks (hair sticking out, cant see a body part, jewelry got twisted, etc) that could make an ok photo into a great photo
4- Dont know what their concept it, no inspiration, no purpose, just clicking away
6- Who bring their assistant who also happens to have a camera and would like a few shots as well

1-4 are my biggest pet peeves -_-

Feb 20 14 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

George Silvaney

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think it's a courtesy to offer a model something to eat or drink. It's hard work, and can take hours to get the job done. However, it's also tactful to understand that models may be on certain dietary regimens. Best to offer but never insist.

Feb 20 14 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Mark Callen Photography wrote:
Hmmm…Whenever possible with amateur models (amateur meaning it isn't their money making career) I meet with the model (normally for coffee) PRIOR to shooting with them to talk about the shoot…discuss the images we're after…discuss comfort level, and so on. I get a sense of what it would be like to work with the model and they get a sense of what it would be like to work with me.  I do this for paid shoots…as well as shoots I'm doing TF.  So when the day of the shoot comes, the model and I already have a rapport…we're on exactly the same page about the content of the shoot…the images we're after…and so on.  No surprises at all…No boundary issues…etc.  I have found that these meetings lead to more productive shoots as well as better images in the end.  Communication is the key.

Just my thoughts...

My pre-shoot banter tends to be over email and text, and with a few models who've since become friends, it was snapchats of our lives prior to the shoot (they were in a different state).

But yes it's not simply "Set it and forget it". There are a few exchanges back and forth to help solidify the shoot and work out details.

And if an email/question goes unanswered a day or two before the shoot, it's been a pretty clear indicator for me that the shoot won't happen (just in my experience).

Feb 20 14 09:17 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Amadea T wrote:
I am iffy on fruit (I have something called 'geographical tongue'

Dammit, that was the answer to a quiz show question I got wrong the other day.

Feb 21 14 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

14 pages? yikes

Surely we can't be that annoying.... can we?

lol

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Feb 21 14 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:
14 pages? yikes

lol

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

This thread makes me wanna quit cause after that many pages I'm guessing everything I do as a photographer is annoying :p

Feb 21 14 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

14 pages? yikes

Ariadne Photography wrote:
This thread makes me wanna quit cause after that many pages I'm guessing everything I do as a photographer is annoying :p

//Mild threadjack//
After reading over and over all the creepy things men do when approaching women they are interested in knowing..., I don't even talk to women anymore, for the same reasons...

How men still get laid in America is a mystery to me... big_smile

//end of mild threadjack//

Feb 22 14 04:12 pm Link

Model

Jenna Jay

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Oh man, this thread is amazing.

I haven't read every single comment and I'm sure a couple of these will be repeats, but I actually haven't had any major pet peeves to speak of until yesterday.  They all came to life in the fourth conversation I had with a photographer yesterday:

1. Calling me at odd hours.  Just because I freelance doesn't mean I can be at your beck and call 24-7: Who the heck calls a virtual stranger at 1 AM?  If you call me past 10 PM, I won't answer.  I find it incredibly unprofessional.

2. Trying to lecture me about how I need to "invest in an expansive wardrobe so as not to pigeonhole myself into nude modeling".  Hey.  Hi.  Hello.  Have you looked at my pictures?  I'm a nude model.  My first ever photoshoot was nude, and I've done only 5 total "no nudity whatsoever" shoots in the last two and a half years.  90 percent of the time, when I bring a truck full of clothing at a photographer's request, we barely touch it(excluding lingerie/shoes).  I won't buy a whole new closet for a $150 shoot, sorry.

3.  "Do you know how to protect yourself?  Because you're meeting so many strangers, you really need to carry mace if not a gun.  I always want to make sure my models are protected".  Okay, now I'm not comfortable around you.  Why would you bring this up?  Awks.

4.  "You really need to be charging way more.  You're undervaluing yourself and you won't be respected if you don't charge what all the other girls who do what you do charge.  I don't understand why you don't charge more".  This was wayyyy too personal and inappropriate.

I mean, shoot, I'm actually upset the guy paid me in advance or I'd have cancelled already, heh :-/

Feb 23 14 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

More then half these comments are about lame old fucks who do photography as a hobby.

I'm awesome, I don't do any of this shit. big_smile

Feb 23 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I love hearing model's stories.  I get a good laugh.
On rare occasion a model has told me what kind of mail she gets or what she goes through and it's really funny, yet scary.

But on the other side of the coin, it makes the rest of us photographers look creepy by default... which sucks.

Feb 23 14 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

FEN RIR Photo

Westminster, Colorado, US

Sometimes I think I try so hard not to come off as creepy, that I do... LOL

Feb 23 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

the OP's question is for models only. you didn't get that? shessh

Feb 28 14 05:35 am Link

Model

Aingeal Rose

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

i too dislike hearing trash about other girls... like i am being lectured for their short comings. i am habitually punctual and first waiting for a late photographer, then listening to them talk about 'flakes' and running over time because of the late start....

that gets me . poor time keeping , especially on nudes where i am up on a rock
freezing , in pain, burning despite the sun screen staring into the sun trying to not get watery eyes and asking how we are for time to get " oh we have enough for one more set then well pack up and head back ''
to find we went over an hr and still need to pack everything up !

Mar 03 14 07:41 am Link

Model

Asia Jackson

Veronika Vitkina  wrote:

Oh man, don't even get me started on #1...-___-

Mar 07 14 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Aingeal Rose wrote:
i too dislike hearing trash about other girls... like i am being lectured for their short comings. i am habitually punctual and first waiting for a late photographer, then listening to them talk about 'flakes' and running over time because of the late start....

that gets me . poor time keeping , especially on nudes where i am up on a rock
freezing
, in pain, burning despite the sun screen staring into the sun trying to not get watery eyes and asking how we are for time to get " oh we have enough for one more set then well pack up and head back ''
to find we went over an hr and still need to pack everything up !

I took a model back to my hotel room for the shoot because it was windy and chilly outside toward evening.  When we got there she turned the heat up to 87 degrees.  smile

Mar 07 14 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Amadea T wrote:
This is a thread derived from the 'annoying things models do' bit in the 'other' forum.

This is about model's pet peeves, not horror storries about rape and molestation.

I go first:

It is a pet peeve of mine, when the photographer keeps wanting to feed me, (upon a wrapped set, before I get ready to leave), although I repeatedly said "No, thank you."  "I am ocd about my diet." " I appreciate the effort, but I am good." "I don't eat this or that, but thank you." "I am really not hungry."

I understand that in most it's not just about the hospitality thing, and good manners, but a little father complex. "Must feed starving child."

Really, you are sweet, but please don't make me explain my whole issue about why I don't eat certain things, we'll be there for another hour.

Edit: I'd love a glass of water, all the time, every time. Please and thank you.

Fine. No food for you. Picky eater person.

Mar 07 14 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Photographe wrote:
What annoys me about some photographers is the language they use...

Shot a model. Shoot a model.

Capture.

Commenting on swimwear/glamour with monosyllabic comments like "Wow Sexy".

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

Talking about equipment like it's going to solve their issues.

What annoys me the most is when someone advocates a working practice that clearly is not industry-standard, to the point where they will https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg the person correctly stating the law or the working practice and once proven incorrect, simply are rude.

I really hate the term capture.

Mar 07 14 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Annoying things that photographers do; they tend to pay models that get naked... soooo annoying  tongue

Mar 07 14 08:12 pm Link

Model

T Christians

Ravena, New York, US

I'm surprised to hear so many models pissed about photographers complaining about their model friends. If it were me, I would make damn sure my friends knew the caliber of professionalism I expect out of them, should they wish to remain my friends. It's understandable that photographers are pissed when models show up late, or unprepared, or not at all. If those very same models were professional and punctual and present, it stands to reason there would be nothing to complain about.

Mar 07 14 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Art Silva wrote:
Annoying things that photographers do; they tend to pay models that get naked... soooo annoying  tongue

They even contact me for nude shoots.  smile

Mar 07 14 09:51 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Gossip about other models to others and you
Be unprofessional
That covers it

Mar 08 14 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Kam Arose wrote:

Let me put this the most charitable way that I can: I am not stupid. I presume that the photographer is not stupid. Therefore, if my hand needs to be moved one inch to the left, in most cases the most logical and efficient way to achieve this is for the photographer to say, "Could you move your hand an inch?" I move my hand. Voilá.

Sometimes -- to move a really pesky hair or something -- a slight adjustment by the photographer is indeed in order. In such case, yes, it is good form to ask before you stick your hand in the model's face. Is that so difficult to understand?

Easy to understand.

However far too often when I have asked the model to move just the hand a couple of inches, suddenly the whole arm and part of the upper body got moved. And the pose was shot. But, I NEVER touch without asking first.

And I really get tired of saying 'no, the other left'.

Mar 08 14 01:25 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

CDP Photo wrote:
Fine. No food for you. Picky eater person.

That's not fair, it's a lifestyle.

One photographer/hair extraordinaire shot me and I casually mentioned I didn't eat meat and liked wine. Not only did he shoot me amazingly so, he had an overabundance of a vegetarian platter, wine, etc. I was pretty touched he went through all the trouble.

Now that is not expected and unusual but it beats being on the defense if food comes up and someone wants to argue about it instead of honoring how you eat.

Mar 08 14 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Erlinda wrote:
More then half these comments are about lame old fucks who do photography as a hobby.

borat

Mar 08 14 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Most annoying thing photographers do? ^^^ that.

Disrespecting other photographers to drive their ego.

Mar 08 14 10:59 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Erlinda wrote:

I love the "lame old fucks who do photography as a hobby."  They're my favorite.  They usually tend to be less egotistical and more collaborative.  wink

BTW, I hope that was a joke.

Mar 08 14 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Although I haven't read every contribution to this thread it seems to be one of the best I've every read. I've learned a good bit however most of the things that annoy both models and photographers are pretty much common sense: Don't ask inappropriate questions or make obscene or sexually aggressive remarks/requests, have your lights/equipment working properly, show up, deliver photos that were promised, personal hygiene, etc.

I always ask a model about her choice of snacks or beverage. If she doesn't reply the first time I'll ask once more but never a third time. I also include the MUA or stylist if applicable. If she does not express a preference I'll just pick up some fruit, cookies, chips, drinks, water and let her know they are available if need. One thing I have learned is if a model is hungry or thirsty she's less likely to concentrate on what we are trying to accomplish. I'll often offer to buy them lunch or dinner with the understanding that it is strictly a monetary offer and not a date request. Oh, and I always have a red rose for her, the MUA and any other women in attendance.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this, again, one of the most informative I've seen.

JR

Mar 08 14 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

I love the "lame old fucks who do photography as a hobby."  They're my favorite.  They usually tend to be less egotistical and more collaborative.  wink

It better be a joke!  big_smile

Mar 08 14 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Oh yeah, I fall in this category smile
As I like to say, Growing old is a privilege too many don't get a chance to experience.

Mar 08 14 01:21 pm Link

Model

Megan Steigerwalt

Vineland, New Jersey, US

This was very interesting reading. I've been modeling for awhile and have never had major problem with any photographer until this year. I've had one stand me up after driving for an hour and a half to the location, she completely vanished on me. That's the only annoying thing.

Mar 08 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
That's not fair, it's a lifestyle.

One photographer/hair extraordinaire shot me and I casually mentioned I didn't eat meat and liked wine. Not only did he shoot me amazingly so, he had an overabundance of a vegetarian platter, wine, etc. I was pretty touched he went through all the trouble.

Now that is not expected and unusual but it beats being on the defense if food comes up and someone wants to argue about it instead of honoring how you eat.

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I was being facetious. I would not care if a model is vegetarian and did not care to eat.

But since you brought it up; I have had a vegetarian girl friend before and when that was over I said never again. But maybe we should re-think saying never again, because now I find myself seeing another young lady who is almost full vegetarian, (she eats fish).

Here is what I've learned.

1. Eating vegetarian is very boring. No, really it is; you may think you have some really good recipes or know a really good place to eat but you're just fooling yourself.

2. I have to wait a very long time for her to decide which of the two items on the menu that qualify for veggie she should get.

3. The ingredients interrogation process the waiter has to endure requires a lot of patience from the waiter, myself, and the kitchen staff, (lots of back and forth goes on). 

4. I'm the one who is truly enjoying the orgasmic flavors the fancy-pants restaurant chef has come up with. Veggie girl sitting across from me is trying to convince herself she is enjoying the one of only two items she had to choose from.

5. I no longer care if she likes her food or not, she chose it.

But on a more serious note, lots of fruits and vegetables is good for you. Lacking proper protein intake will cause liver damage.

Mar 08 14 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

CDP Photo wrote:

1. Eating vegetarian is very boring. No, really it is; you may think you have some really good recipes or know a really good place to eat but you're just fooling yourself.

Dude, you didn't learn ANYTHING!

The ignorance... no... seriously, painful ignorance, runs so deep in your entire post, it's almost physically painful reading it!

Let's make one thing clear: You season your carcass with vegetables, such as black pepper, paprika, onions, garlic, herbs, salt (mineral), sauces (all plant based), maybe it's marinated in red wine (grape) etc. The flavor of 97 percent of your meat dishes comes from vegetables! The only "ingredient" that comes from the animal itself, unless you use kosher meat, is uric acid, which is animal piss and gives meat its "roman" taste!

If you didn't find a tasty "alternative" in a vegetarian restaurant, than this has more to do with your own personal bias and prejudice than with the meal itself and leads back to psychology. Granted, some cooks suck, but I bet that it is YOUR bias that "made it bland".

Chew on this!

P.S.: Your idea of protein is the same uninformed bovine fecal matter as the rest of your post. Fruits, grains, seeds and vegetables have in average about the same amount of protein as human mothers milk has... Human mothers milk is the perfect food for humans during the only time in their lives when the need for protein is higher than at any other time in their life... even if they were competitive bodybuilders.

Mar 08 14 07:55 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

CDP Photo wrote:

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I was being facetious. I would not care if a model is vegetarian and did not care to eat.

But since you brought it up; I have had a vegetarian girl friend before and when that was over I said never again. But maybe we should re-think saying never again, because now I find myself seeing another young lady who is almost full vegetarian, (she eats fish).

2. I have to wait a very long time for her to decide which of the two items on the menu that qualify for veggie she should get.

3. The ingredients interrogation process the waiter has to endure requires a lot of patience from the waiter, myself, and the kitchen staff, (lots of back and forth goes on). 

4. I'm the one who is truly enjoying the orgasmic flavors the fancy-pants restaurant chef has come up with. Veggie girl sitting across from me is trying to convince herself she is enjoying the one of only two items she had to choose from.

5. I no longer care if she likes her food or not, she chose it.

But on a more serious note, lots of fruits and vegetables is good for you. Lacking proper protein intake will cause liver damage.

I like you lol

Mar 08 14 08:00 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

udor wrote:

14 pages? yikes

//Mild threadjack//
After reading over and over all the creepy things men do when approaching women they are interested in knowing..., I don't even talk to women anymore, for the same reasons...

How men still get laid in America is a mystery to me... big_smile

//end of mild threadjack//

Eharmony.  Hahahahaha

Mar 08 14 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:

Eharmony.  Hahahahaha

EHarmony has consistently rejected me every time I've tried signing up over the past many years.  If there is some trick, I'd love to hear it.

Mar 08 14 10:01 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:
...And if an email/question goes unanswered a day or two before the shoot, it's been a pretty clear indicator for me that the shoot won't happen (just in my experience).

I agree on this one. Barring any communication prior mentioning potential for being out of touch for a bit.

Jen

Mar 08 14 10:09 pm Link