Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Everyone I've worked with has been great honestly, probably the most annoying thing is when they get really into the drama of the community and trash talk every other photographer or other models. That makes me not really want to work with them again.

Jan 25 14 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Ivanafox wrote:
You could maybe add ringing me half an hour before a shoot to make sure I'm coming even though I sent a message the night before confirming all details (I'm usually driving to the shoot and can't answer it anyway). It makes me feel like they think I'm flakey and unreliable and I feel insulted. But having said that I understand many models are flakey and unreliable and on the last few shoots I send a text when I leave home and if I wake them because I usually have a lot of travel time- too bad!

Sorry, but I do that all the time.  Yeah, it sucks that you have to take the flak for what other models do, but no-shows happen so often that I'm willing to waste a few seconds of the model's time to ensure that I'm not wasting hours of mine.

Jan 25 14 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

The Grace Gabbana wrote:
Okay, here goes:

8. When a fauxtographer places a watermark on the finished images.

I think I am with you 100% - those would all be things I would certainly not want to be guilty of - unprofessional to be sure.

For #8 are do you mean big stinking semi-transparent watermarks that are plastered across the model? I also have my logo in the corner but make a point of keeping it discrete and unobtrusive. I'm guessing you mean the former not the latter?

Jan 25 14 05:46 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

i just thought of something else, because it literally just happened. when a photographer sends me photos and i never put them in my port, and they mention it, and ask why they werent good enough? Jeez! Why ask that???

Jan 25 14 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

FYI, photographers are  an insecure bunch.

Jan 25 14 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

PhotographybyT wrote:
Holy moly! Ten pages already...I guess we can be an annoying group! tongue

Nah, it's not really that.  Models get slammed so much on here it's just time for a little pay back.

Jan 25 14 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Capitol City Boudoir wrote:
Wow, what a mixed bag of answers.

We have models complain when photographers try and feed them and other who complain that the photographers don't offer them anything to snack on during a long shoot.

We have models complain when photographers don't verbally encourage a model during the shoot but just click away and other models that complain when the photographer uses terms like wow and sexy.

We get models who complain that photographer 'confirm' the shoot too often and other that complain they never hear back from the photographer.

What's it going to be ladies?  How do you want us to treat you?

It's almost like different people like different things.  Figure that.

People are taking this thread too seriously.  Just do what you do how you do it and don't worry about it.  Some will like you, some won't.  It really doesn't matter that much.

Jan 25 14 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

And I'm not feeding models.  Eat a fucking sandwich before the shoot.  I'm not running a buffet.

Jan 25 14 06:25 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

R Byron Johnson wrote:
And I'm not feeding models.  Eat a fucking sandwich before the shoot.  I'm not running a buffet.

I prefer to not eat or drink anything while I'm modeling.  I bring my own granola bars to eat when the shoot is done.  I don't expect photographers to feed me, although many of them have!  I appreciated it.  The very best thing to have around for a little pick-me-up is chocolate cookies.  There are a couple of art studios I model for that often have those on hand, and they always make me feel better.

Jan 25 14 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Eugenya wrote:
I prefer to not eat or drink anything while I'm modeling.  I bring my own granola bars to eat when the shoot is done.  I don't expect photographers to feed me, although many of them have!  I appreciated it.  The very best thing to have around for a little pick-me-up is chocolate cookies.  There are a couple of art studios I model for that often have those on hand, and they always make me feel better.

I was actually kidding, but in all seriousness, I've never given a model food nor have I ever had a model ask for any.  To me, it's really a non-issue and I think some people make too much of a fuss about it.  Photographers too often treat models like it's a date, or worse, like they're children.

Jan 25 14 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Amadea T wrote:

and come back with a  wad of money? How do you expect to hide a thing like that?

Com'on, hiding wads of money is not that hard!! smile jk...

Jan 25 14 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

R Byron Johnson wrote:

I was actually kidding, but in all seriousness, I've never given a model food nor have I ever had a model ask for any.  To me, it's really a non-issue and I think some people make too much of a fuss about it.  Photographers too often treat models like it's a date, or worse, like they're children.

In some cases it is a crossover of the film industry, where craft services are available.

For larger projects/longer days you can be working 10+ hour days, and people are expected to be on set. So food is catered.

Also in fine art, classes/groups/events food is many times available as well.

For a short shoot under 4 hours, ya food is not a big deal but if you are expected to be in a studio for longer food is a good idea.

Jan 25 14 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Amadea T wrote:
This is a thread derived from the 'annoying things models do' bit in the 'other' forum.

This is about model's pet peeves, not horror storries about rape and molestation.

I go first:

It is a pet peeve of mine, when the photographer keeps wanting to feed me, (upon a wrapped set, before I get ready to leave), although I repeatedly said "No, thank you."  "I am ocd about my diet." " I appreciate the effort, but I am good." "I don't eat this or that, but thank you." "I am really not hungry."

I understand that in most it's not just about the hospitality thing, and good manners, but a little father complex. "Must feed starving child."

Really, you are sweet, but please don't make me explain my whole issue about why I don't eat certain things, we'll be there for another hour.

Edit: I'd love a glass of water, all the time, every time. Please and thank you.

You are funny and the comments are cute.

PS...I also hate when people try to cram food or drink down your throat. If I say 'no, thank you' I mean "NO, thank you!"

Jan 25 14 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Julia Francesca  wrote:
i just thought of something else, because it literally just happened. when a photographer sends me photos and i never put them in my port, and they mention it, and ask why they werent good enough? Jeez! Why ask that???

Maybe because they want to know the truth.  All you have to do is be honest and let them know their work doesn't pass muster.  I think honesty is the best policy.  Perhaps you should not accept money from photographers that you feel are sub-standard.  smile

BTW : you are a wonderful model

Jan 25 14 08:38 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Maybe because they want to know the truth.  All you have to do is be honest and let them know their work doesn't pass muster.  I think honesty is the best policy.  Perhaps you should not accept money from photographers that you feel are sub-standard.  smile

Thank you! But are you being serious??? Don't accept money from certain people if I wouldn't put it in my port? Are you being really serious? Cuz this is kinda how I make ends meet lol. Also I could never tell clients that their work is "not good enough" for my port, omgoodness I'd feel awful lol.

Jan 25 14 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

If a model likes a photographer's work enough, she'll either do TF or pay him.  When a model feels a photographer's work is sub-standard, it then makes even more sense for her to accept pay from them.

Jan 25 14 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Some of us don't want to know, or care if a model uses our images or not.

I've always wanted to use this ....

https://www.singleblackmale.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/you-cant-handle-the-truth-meme-generator-you-want-the-truth-you-can-t-handle-the-truth-9789dd.jpg

BTW:  You are right ... she is wonderful!

Jan 25 14 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Julia Francesca  wrote:
Thank you! But are you being serious??? Don't accept money from certain people if I wouldn't put it in my port? Are you being really serious? Cuz this is kinda how I make ends meet lol. Also I could never tell clients that their work is "not good enough" for my port, omgoodness I'd feel awful lol.

You sound like you have good manners?  wink

Some photographers are aggressive about getting models to use their images even if they paid the models.  They don't realize it, but it is rude.  You were paid to model, not promote afterwards.  Although it is nice to get that extra benefit, it should not be expected.  I can hire you again and again until you do like the images enough to post, or I can pay you to market for me.  wink

Jan 25 14 11:29 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

You sound like you have good manners?  wink

Some photographers are aggressive about getting models to use their images even if they paid the models.  They don't realize it, but it is rude.  You were paid to model, not promote afterwards.  Although it is nice to get that extra benefit, it should not be expected.  I can hire you again and again until you do like the images enough to post, or I can pay you to market for me.  wink

Totally agree! Like it makes me feel bad when they point out that they are not featured in my port, I would never do the same to them about me! And usually it's not because the images are even bad, I just have no use for them, they aren't adding anything to my book and won't bring in work so what's the point? A port is different from a fan page, you dont just throw everything on there.

Jan 25 14 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Ivanafox wrote:
You could maybe add ringing me half an hour before a shoot to make sure I'm coming even though I sent a message the night before confirming all details (I'm usually driving to the shoot and can't answer it anyway). It makes me feel like they think I'm flakey and unreliable and I feel insulted. But having said that I understand many models are flakey and unreliable and on the last few shoots I send a text when I leave home and if I wake them because I usually have a lot of travel time- too bad!

A text when you leave home is a great idea.  If they don't want to be wakened by a text, they can turn off the tone for texts.  A friend or family member with a real emergency will CALL them.

Jan 26 14 01:23 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Julia Francesca  wrote:

Totally agree! Like it makes me feel bad when they point out that they are not featured in my port, I would never do the same to them about me! And usually it's not because the images are even bad, I just have no use for them, they aren't adding anything to my book and won't bring in work so what's the point? A port is different from a fan page, you dont just throw everything on there.

I will often send a model a little note of appreciation if she posts my photos in her port, definitely if she uses one as her avatar.  Asking her to do so would be quite rude and whining because she didn't is ridiculous.

Jan 26 14 01:27 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

P I X I E wrote:

And I prefer a photographer emails me the details of the shoot instead of spending hours on the phone. I don't really have time for that.

I prefer making all shoot arrangements online for easy reference and just a very brief (minute or two) confirmation call the day before the shoot.  A text when leaving home for the shoot is awesome.

Jan 26 14 04:17 am Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

All Yours Photography wrote:

I will often send a model a little note of appreciation if she posts my photos in her port, definitely if she uses one as her avatar.  Asking her to do so would be quite rude and whining because she didn't is ridiculous.

See? You're NORMAL! lol smile

Jan 26 14 09:24 am Link

Model

LeePatrick

Houston, Texas, US

Hell, if you photogs pay and compliment, I'll throw the money into an investment account, wait a few years and we'll take a trip to Greece, spend it, have some laughs and talk about how amazing it is we connected through a thread dissing photographers while chilling on the beach having drinks.

Jan 26 14 10:32 am Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Carle Photography wrote:

In some cases it is a crossover of the film industry, where craft services are available.

For larger projects/longer days you can be working 10+ hour days, and people are expected to be on set. So food is catered.

Also in fine art, classes/groups/events food is many times available as well.

For a short shoot under 4 hours, ya food is not a big deal but if you are expected to be in a studio for longer food is a good idea.

I definitely get it when it comes to a long shoot.  Then I think it would be kind of shitty not to provide something to eat.

The longest shoot I've ever done was about 4 hours, and that's very rare.  On average it's about an hour and a half to two hours.  So the issue of food has never come up for me.  Now something to drink, that's different.  (And I don't mean alcohol.)

Jan 26 14 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

All Yours Photography wrote:

Yeah, whether a  model uses the photos I take of her or not is entirely her business.  Of course it's flattering when they do, but it's silly to get all upset about it if they don't.  I mean, most members on here have a limited amount of space for their ports because most aren't VIP or Premium members, so it makes sense for them to be picky.  And it doesn't necessarily mean that they think the photos suck (though I'm sure sometimes that is what it means), it could just be a matter of having a certain why they want to present themselves.  Hell, they're are a lot of photos I'd love to put in my port on here, I just don't have enough room.

Jan 26 14 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

RE: food--I generally shoot in 4 hour stretches which given paperwork, etc. can stretch to 5 hours, so I always have snacks available.  And I encourage models to snack while we work to keep sugar levels up where they belong.  Once had a model who was over-dieting faint on me, which is not a very comforting happenstance.

All IMHO as always, of course

Jan 26 14 02:47 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

Very few things truly annoy me, but a couple small grievances are (and most of these aren't really exclusive to photographers):

-Referring to models they've shot as "their" models or speaking possessively of anyone they've worked with.

-Not caring about a model's safety. Shooting in extreme temperatures without proper precautions (breaks, water, a coat nearby, etc).

-Being grossly unprepared. And not in the spontaneous way but just wasting insane amounts of time being unprepared.

Jan 26 14 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

In my opinion, models who are significantly unhappy with photographers should just not shoot with photographers - and photographers who are not significantly happy with models should just not shoot with models.  There - done.

Jan 26 14 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Just me but I do offer bottled water, I do ask about school or professional pursuits in order to establish a rapport with the model, I ask about musical preferences and then I play the model's choice of music during the shoot to add to his/her comfort level, and then when the shoot is done I say thank you and good bye because it's AFTER the shoot when the real work begins anymore.

I don't offer food, I don't ask about relationships, politics, religion, ethics, or etc.

So long as the shoot is in the can in the appropriate amount of time that's all I ask.

(-:

Jan 26 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Julia Francesca  wrote:

See? You're NORMAL! lol smile

BTW, we're practically neighbors.  I'm in Maumee 5 days a week for work.

Jan 26 14 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
In my opinion, models who are significantly unhappy with photographers should just not shoot with photographers - and photographers who are not significantly happy with models should just not shoot with models.  There - done.

Anyone who was "significantly" unhappy would do that.  No one here is significantly unhappy, they're just airing some grievances and having fun.  There's really nothing all that significant about it.

Jan 26 14 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

I do ask if a model or her friend wants anything to drink or eat, and I mention that we have ice cream. But they rarely take me up on it. I'll ask maybe twice, at intervals throughout the shoot. There are snacks, licorice, cookies and coffee/tea within reaching distance but sometimes people can be shy about accepting.

Now I just have a sign on the fridge that says "Drinks" and I say "help yourself" when the models arrive, and "take something for the road" when they leave.

Now that I know it might be annoying to keep asking, I'll just have to make a bigger sign lol.

Jan 27 14 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Fotografica Gregor wrote:

How dare you come in here with your sensible advice! Get OUT!

Jan 27 14 01:07 am Link

Model

Josie Lee

San Diego, California, US

BrandonLuong wrote:
haha I've been told I bring weird food. I get everything from the health food store across the street so its always these weird vedgie chips and organic juices. I guess people arent a fan but oh well.

Lots of models that I know like that kind of food!
I know I do.

Some weird/strange things that some photographer's do:

1) Playing the music too loud when I keep requesting
it lowered so that I can hear what people are saying to me.

2) He/she being in charge of studio/indoor location and there are
no reasonable changing areas or clean restrooms.

3) Inviting non-essential people to a shoot set particularly if any revealing lingerie or nudity
is involved. Is this person a real contributor to the production? No?

4) Not being time efficient.

5) Not being sensitive to temperatures or comfort of model.
E.g. Concrete floor then asking for poses for long periods on knees.
Cold water, freezing air conditioning vents, situations that likely cause sunburn, etc.

I'be been lucky to work with a lot of very professional and considerate people, so all of the above
has seldom ever been an issue for me. Thank you to the fantastic photographers out there!

Jan 27 14 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Ivanafox wrote:

Art of the nude wrote:
I've had AT LEAST a dozen models not show up after confirming the day before.  A month ago, I got a text asking for the address again three hours before the shoot, and one hour before, another saying "I decided not to come."  Confirming the day of the shoot is standard.  I wish it wasn't necessary.

I've worked with Ivana and can attest she is punctual, reliable and professional. Do I can understand how a txt 30 mins before the scheduled time is insulting if it was confirmed the night before.  I generally will only contact a model if they are 30 mins or more late

Jan 27 14 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Annoying things photographers do hey.

Buy a dslr, join model mayhem, post crap images, tell everyone they are a published professional, but that they are happy to do TFP with the right model... Oh, and make other photographers look bad by being sleezy assholes.

There, I feel much better now big_smile

Jan 27 14 03:10 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

Photographers who put me on a pedestal (not literally, because that would be okay) and equate my choice not to do more provocative nudes as moral superiority. They advise me not to "lower myself" and judge women and photographers who do.

Photographers who put my pubic hair on a pedestal. My hair style isn't some meaningful political statement; everyone should do what they want with their own damn pubes.

Silly, I know, but: Photographers who keep telling me "I want to capture the REAL you, just be NATURAL." Well, there is no real me. If there were a "real me," it would probably involve me scratching my butt, not flexing my abs for minutes on end. But don't worry, I can LOOK natural, which is the important thing here, yeah?

Jan 27 14 04:04 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

Neil Snape wrote:
I have lots of annoying habits. Mustn't be that bad though or models would have said something.

Seen the above flurry of the don't touch the models.

I think that there is something to be said about MM or freelance models that are outside the loop of fashion, big agency work. It is not the same.

When we do fashion spreads everyone is touching the models mu hair, stylist, and often the photographer. It is always in a set that has a lot of people, writer, art director assistants. Most of the time a photographer will ask the model or ask some one anyone to move the parts or clothes etc , yet if the photographer is right there in close proximity it is common place to do the dirty deed while there.

This is not where the models on MM are coming from, and the majority are not exposed to this often if at all.

It wasn't until a thread on MM that it made me aware of the difference, and that one should very cautiously proceed after asking.

Please don't read this wrong. There are just two paths models can be from, and the process of making pictures has a different flow and etiquette.

So touching a model if for reasons of making the pictures is needed it indeed has to be done with respect.    I just have to remember that, when shooting other than agency models.

I think it's important to remember how different fashion shoots can look than the sorts of shoots internet models are used to. If I shot with a whole team of professionals I would not be weirded out by those people touching me. However, most of the shoots I do (and I assume other internet models too) are one-on-one with the photographer. No one else is there. It transforms the situation dramatically I would say, so it makes sense that internet models would have stricter ideas regarding when it's appropriate to touch them.

Jan 27 14 07:26 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

Ida Saint-Luc wrote:
Silly, I know, but: Photographers who keep telling me "I want to capture the REAL you, just be NATURAL." Well, there is no real me. If there were a "real me," it would probably involve me scratching my butt, not flexing my abs for minutes on end. But don't worry, I can LOOK natural, which is the important thing here, yeah?

+1

YESSS.

I mean, I get what they're saying and going for. But it's an overly romanticized idea of people photography. It isn't street photography. You're not capturing someone in their natural environment, they're just putting on a version of themself they think is what you're looking for.

Jan 27 14 07:39 am Link