Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Hmm, I'm needing some education, what is a fauxtographer exactly?

Apr 24 12 05:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aaliyah Oke

London, England, United Kingdom

olivier borgognon wrote:
Eurocat : I believe we are all students of life, and teachers in life at the same time.

everything we are talking about here is 99.9% communication, and we're in a world where communication is all over the place, without really being there. We use GPS instead of asking our way, we tweet to our friend at the end of the table, we FB send a b'day wish instead of giving a 30seconds phone call which will trill 1 million times more...

as per common sense, we are all human, and all have our education, environment, feelings, limits... and I believe it's all about talking it through, shortly, and if some act in a certain way, it's also partially because we let them do it sometimes, without being blunt we can just show how it would be so much better if it didn't happen smile

Fact : All the situations in this thread have happened to 1 or many models/photographers

Issue : It's not putting anyone in a good working environment to have fun and work well (work and fun does go together yes yes it's possible big_smile)

Solving it : Say something directly to the person, face to face... now that's communication... and it rarely happens.

Let's be sincere and true to ourselves, have we, photographers or you models, ever dared to kindly tell the other party that they felt uncomfortable with all this up front ? I believe most of us don't dare say it to people, but we rant about it on forums (here it's not ranting, it's sharing information).

Common sense it is, but if nobody ever tells people, how can we really improve ? i think it's as simple as :

I really thank you for the food offer, it's really kind of you, but without wanting to offend you, I have my food habits. I'd be very happy with a huge glass of water though, it's worth all the food you could offer.

or

Please, I feel uncomfortable with you touching me or moving me around as you do, and it will show on photos. Please just ask me what you want from me on the shoot, i'll be happy to try, and if it doesn't work then we can work together on getting it right. Ii've been working on my modelling skills for a while and i'm sure I can do it, as I trust you can take photos and don't ask for your exposure settings or come and touch you during the shoot.

...So true ! Most of if not all of these problems are due to poor communication issues.

Apr 24 12 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

Art of the nude wrote:

I get frustrated with "professional photographers" who act like the worst problem aren't "real industry photographers" who take advantage of 15 year old girls by holding the idea of a Vogue cover in front of them, rather than amateurs who might pay someone to pose for bad glamour shots.

One in the left hand, 10,000 in the right.  I'm more concerned with the larger group of frauds.

Apr 24 12 12:34 pm Link

Model

The Grace Gabbana

Santa Rosa, California, US

Okay, here goes:

1. When a fauxtographer messages me to participate in a "group shoot", and further elaborates that most (if not all) of the "photographers" participating are there to learn.

I am not your teacher. As a published model, my image is valuable. My livelihood is based on this fact. To expect me to shoot with a bunch of hobbyists/students and have my image represented in possibly hundreds of sub-par photographs all over the internet, and God knows where else, is not only unrealistic; it's insulting.

2. When a fauxtographer messages me to participate in a cruise ship photoshoot, asks me to be one of his "girls", and expects me to accept a free cruise and meals instead of my standard rate.

Just because I'm a model, doesn't mean I'm stupid. My job isn't to help bolster your ego, or make you look "cool" in your friends eyes. Furthermore, my rate is clearly posted on my profile, and ignoring my specifications doesn't help your cause.

3. When I arrive on set (hired by a real client, and not a photographer), and the photographer they've hired has done zero research on the models he's working with, and treats each model like a newbie.

Don't patronize me. I'm a professional, when I come to set I treat everyone involved as a professional; it's common courtesy. Not to do the same for me, doesn't make you superior; it means you're un-prepared and incompetent. I also take the time to research who I am about to work with to get a better sense of what is expected, and a feel for what the finished product will be like.

4. When I'm hired for a shoot, arrive, and my hair and make-up is expected to be done. We'll ignore how unprofessional it is to expect a model to style herself, and get right to the shock of "why didn't you share this little detail with me before the shoot?".

I'm happy to do my own hair and make-up; just let me know that's what you expect. Don't drop something like that on me last minute, and expect me to work overtime because of your incompetence. Not going to happen.

5. When a photographer wants to have an in-depth conversation about my sexuality, as if doing so would make the shoot more comfortable.

My sexual orientation is none of your business, and asking me about it is not going to create sensual shots. Asking me if I "touch myself" will earn you a swift kick in the ball sack.

6. When a photographer criticizes my limitations or the limitations of others.

Good work involves respect. If I sense that you don't respect models in general, or that you don't respect me individually; all the photo magic is gone. Moreover, you'll never get another opportunity to work with me.

7. When a photographer takes forever getting images to you, and isn't helpful or accomodating.

I showed up on time; I wasn't late. You shouldn't be either. It shouldn't feel like pulling teeth to get you to meet your end of the agreement. Unless you're a photo God, and you took the time to explain that it will take a few months to get images to me.

8. When a fauxtographer places a watermark on the finished images.

Tacky ego trip of hobbyists. If you're a true photographer, the individual style of your image is your signature.

9. When I (very rarely) respond to a TF casting, and the photographer replies; "you know this isn't paid, right?".

I didn't ask you to pay me, and the casting title contains a huge "TF". Yeah, I get it; but now I don't want to work with you because I think you're an idiot.

Whew! That felt goooood.
Thanks for creating this thread smile

Apr 24 12 04:19 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

^^^^^

LOVE

Apr 25 12 12:33 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Grace Gabbana wrote:
snip

All agreed except the watermark. I usually have no issue with watermarks UNLESS it's huge. A lot of pros here put watermarks on their photos, and I believe it's to prevent theft. There's really no need to be condescending though...

Apr 25 12 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

The Grace Gabbana wrote:
Okay, here goes:

1. When a fauxtographer messages me to participate in a "group shoot", and further elaborates that most (if not all) of the "photographers" participating are there to learn.

I am not your teacher. As a published model, my image is valuable. My livelihood is based on this fact. To expect me to shoot with a bunch of hobbyists/students and have my image represented in possibly hundreds of sub-par photographs all over the internet, and God knows where else, is not only unrealistic; it's insulting.

2. When a fauxtographer messages me to participate in a cruise ship photoshoot, asks me to be one of his "girls", and expects me to accept a free cruise and meals instead of my standard rate.

Just because I'm a model, doesn't mean I'm stupid. My job isn't to help bolster your ego, or make you look "cool" in your friends eyes. Furthermore, my rate is clearly posted on my profile, and ignoring my specifications doesn't help your cause.

3. When I arrive on set (hired by a real client, and not a photographer), and the photographer they've hired has done zero research on the models he's working with, and treats each model like a newbie.

Don't patronize me. I'm a professional, when I come to set I treat everyone involved as a professional; it's common courtesy. Not to do the same for me, doesn't make you superior; it means you're un-prepared and incompetent. I also take the time to research who I am about to work with to get a better sense of what is expected, and a feel for what the finished product will be like.

4. When I'm hired for a shoot, arrive, and my hair and make-up is expected to be done. We'll ignore how unprofessional it is to expect a model to style herself, and get right to the shock of "why didn't you share this little detail with me before the shoot?".

I'm happy to do my own hair and make-up; just let me know that's what you expect. Don't drop something like that on me last minute, and expect me to work overtime because of your incompetence. Not going to happen.

5. When a photographer wants to have an in-depth conversation about my sexuality, as if doing so would make the shoot more comfortable.

My sexual orientation is none of your business, and asking me about it is not going to create sensual shots. Asking me if I "touch myself" will earn you a swift kick in the ball sack.

6. When a photographer criticizes my limitations or the limitations of others.

Good work involves respect. If I sense that you don't respect models in general, or that you don't respect me individually; all the photo magic is gone. Moreover, you'll never get another opportunity to work with me.

7. When a photographer takes forever getting images to you, and isn't helpful or accomodating.

I showed up on time; I wasn't late. You shouldn't be either. It shouldn't feel like pulling teeth to get you to meet your end of the agreement. Unless you're a photo God, and you took the time to explain that it will take a few months to get images to me.

8. When a fauxtographer places a watermark on the finished images.

Tacky ego trip of hobbyists. If you're a true photographer, the individual style of your image is your signature.

9. When I (very rarely) respond to a TF casting, and the photographer replies; "you know this isn't paid, right?".

I didn't ask you to pay me, and the casting title contains a huge "TF". Yeah, I get it; but now I don't want to work with you because I think you're an idiot.

Whew! That felt goooood.
Thanks for creating this thread smile

+1

Although many protographers, not fauxtographers, use watermarks (generally subtle) to advertise or for legal protection, as is the case with myself.  Paid shoots never have watermarks, but everything that goes up on sites like mm and facebook, I use them.  It's advertisement.  Go to my website and view my printed books, and there are no watermarks, nor do I print for models images with watermarks.  Just is what it is in the digital age.  Everything you wrote beyond that are the exact things that bother me too.

Edit:  It would seem that I don't even use watermarks on all my stuff here... after looking at it.  Hmph.

Apr 25 12 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

THE most annoying thing photographers do? Put up with models who complain about them - yes, that's it! Pretty faces are a dime-a-dozen...

Apr 25 12 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Austin, Texas, US

John Horwitz wrote:
THE most annoying thing photographers do? Put up with models who complain about them - yes, that's it! Pretty faces are a dime-a-dozen...

https://partneryahoo.photobucket.com/albums/p316/sjonathan02/AndHereWeGo.gif

https://partneryahoo.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/vanessa68_2009/Macros%20and%20gifs/hrzfab.gif

Apr 25 12 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

okbyme

Atlanta, Georgia, US

so, its much better to not give a shit.. just shoot and walk you to the front door.. ok, fine by me...

Apr 25 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Erick Prince wrote:

https://partneryahoo.photobucket.com/albums/p316/sjonathan02/AndHereWeGo.gif

https://partneryahoo.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/vanessa68_2009/Macros%20and%20gifs/hrzfab.gif

OTOH - a good BODY will cost thousands!

Apr 25 12 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i paid a llama $350  for a group shoot. she didn't seem to have any problem taking the money and did a great job. the shoot was a mix of very experienced photographers and complete newbies. i don't think that asking an experienced llama if she wants to make some money is insulting. she can always so no or just not respond.

The Grace Gabbana wrote:

I am not your teacher. As a published llama, my image is valuable. My livelihood is based on this fact. To expect me to shoot with a bunch of hobbyists/students and have my image represented in possibly hundreds of sub-par photographs all over the internet, and God knows where else, is not only unrealistic; it's insulting.

Apr 25 12 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

The Grace Gabbana wrote:

EXACTLY THIS

Apr 25 12 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

The Grace Gabbana wrote:

John Horwitz wrote:
EXACTLY THIS

A lot of models have their livelihood depend on being paid.  Most of them are happy to get reasonable paid offers, which they are free to accept or reject.

Apr 25 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Have no problem paying for a good model - just resent the above attitude. Well known - yes she is, a VS angel.....not so much!

When her name is recognized on billboards throughout the world her ego will match, until then, not impressed.

Apr 25 12 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Meluxine wrote:
Photographers who constantly whinge about new models but then refuse to pay for professional and experienced ones.

And fauxtographers who charge next to nothing for a full blown photo shoot and undercut all the excellent professional photographers.

In both cases, you get what you pay (or don't pay) for.

There, I bet you all hate me now wink

Loves her.

Apr 25 12 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

K Photographic Dreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It annoys me when the photographer wants to, like, point a camera at me - I'm like "Don't you objectify me!!! I am a person!"

The nerve, you know!

Apr 25 12 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

K Photographic Dreams wrote:
It annoys me when the photographer wants to, like, point a camera at me - I'm like "Don't you objectify me!!! I am a person!"

The nerve, you know!

A model just complained to me that another photographer insisted that she WEAR CLOTHES.   The nerve.

Apr 25 12 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I know one.

Photographers expect models to arrive on time to a photoshoot ... that's very annoying and unrealistic.

Gabby

Apr 25 12 05:28 pm Link

Model

Sky Donohue

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

It drives me nuts when photographers over-compliment me, especially if it's inappropriate or unnecessary.  Yeah a compliment is fine, but there's a difference between compliments like "I like that pose," "you're photogenic," "your body works well for this," "you've got admirable athleticism," and compliments like "you're beautiful/gorgeous/hot/sexy," "great bod," "your boyfriend is a lucky guy," and "you've got amazing boobs/tits/breasts/tah-tahs."

I also don't like to be touched when not necessary.  I can tell the difference between when they need to move something if I'm in a difficult pose and when they touch the curve or shadow some body part makes to point out how cool it happens to look.  To me, if it's possible to just describe it without a problem, it's inappropriate to touch.  And that's not just for modeling, I don't like to be touched by anyone even in my personal life.

I get pretty offended if photographers who couldn't improve my portfolio (in my opinion) tell me beforehand that they won't pay because there are tons of models who would do just as good of a job as anyone else.  Especially if during/after shooting they gush about how good of a model they think I am, how much better I am than any other model they've worked with, how many unique poses I can come up with, or how easy I make their job.  It's definitely true that there are tons of models who are much better than I am.  What bothers me is when they tell me my time isn't worth anything then turn around and get all excited when they see me pose, not even realizing that maybe that's why I might normally be charging.

Apr 25 12 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Sky Donohue wrote:
It drives me nuts when photographers over-compliment me, especially if it's inappropriate or unnecessary.  Yeah a compliment is fine, but there's a difference between compliments like "I like that pose," "you're photogenic," "your body works well for this," "you've got admirable athleticism," and compliments like "you're beautiful/gorgeous/hot/sexy," "great bod," "your boyfriend is a lucky guy," and "you've got amazing boobs/tits/breasts/tah-tahs."

I also don't like to be touched when not necessary.  I can tell the difference between when they need to move something if I'm in a difficult pose and when they touch the curve or shadow some body part makes to point out how cool it happens to look.  To me, if it's possible to just describe it without a problem, it's inappropriate to touch.  And that's not just for modeling, I don't like to be touched by anyone even in my personal life.

Ah, hell, I'm in trouble . . .

Apr 25 12 05:30 pm Link

Model

Sky Donohue

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Art of the nude wrote:
A model just complained to me that another photographer insisted that she WEAR CLOTHES.   The nerve.

... XD

Apr 25 12 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just want to say that I'm sorry for all of the annoying things I did that were mentioned in this thread.

I'm sure they're in there somewhere!  big_smile  bunny

Apr 25 12 05:38 pm Link

Model

Stephen Ing

Sanford, Florida, US

When they get a little touchy feely, but you bare with it to try and finish shoot.

When you show up and ask " So what are we gonna do?" and they reply " I dunno what do you wanna do?"

When they comment on you as "delicious"

Apr 25 12 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i made my favorite model wear clothes (including a wedding dress i bought for her) for the first couple shoots. she hasn't let me hear the end of it!

Art of the nude wrote:

Apr 25 12 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

people really say things like that? sounds like they're sizing you up as a snack or something. lol.

Stephen Ing wrote:
When they comment on you as "delicious"

Apr 25 12 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Art of the nude wrote:

I also made a nude model wear clothes.    smile

Apr 25 12 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Art of the nude wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I also made a nude model wear clothes.    smile

But this was the WHOLE shoot.  I usually get nude models to wear clothes part of the time.

Apr 25 12 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

THE most annoying thing we photographers do is pay models for shooting fake tits and no ass.

Apr 25 12 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Magic Image Photography wrote:
THE most annoying thing we photographers do is pay models for shooting fake tits and no ass.

I've never paid a model for them shooting anything.

Apr 25 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

K Photographic Dreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Art of the nude wrote:

I'm telling you, it's society today - promoting all these crazy ideas...sad

Apr 25 12 06:08 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
I know one.

Photographers expect models to arrive on time to a photoshoot ... that's very annoying and unrealistic.

Gabby

roll

Apr 25 12 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I know one.

Gabby

You don't seem like a Happy Guy

Apr 25 12 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

I know one.

Gabby

DougBPhoto wrote:
You don't seem like a Happy Guy

BWAAAHAAAHAA

Apr 25 12 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

RSH-Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Art of the nude wrote:

I've had AT LEAST a dozen models not show up after confirming the day before.  A month ago, I got a text asking for the address again three hours before the shoot, and one hour before, another saying "I decided not to come."  Confirming the day of the shoot is standard.  I wish it wasn't necessary.

Sad but true. Growing tired of flakes, I also now require a text message or call the morning of the shoot. I also wish it wasn't necessary. I have nothing but praise and admiration for a model who on her own calls or texts the morning of the shoot to say she's on the way.

Apr 25 12 06:56 pm Link

Model

Jetska

San Antonio, Texas, US

Ivanafox wrote:
I'm pretty easy to get along with so there's really only 3 things that annoy me:

*Contacts you about doing a TF shit-for-giggles shoot then discusses it to death and never commits to a date. I could understand if they were trying to organise an Elephant or diamond encrusted dresses for the shoot but it's always my outfits, thier backyard, no concept so there's not months of discussing needed.
*Suggests a vague date for a shoot (eg next Friday) then vanishes.
*Ignores my requests for images as promised after a TF shoot.

You could maybe add ringing me half an hour before a shoot to make sure I'm coming even though I sent a message the night before confirming all details (I'm usually driving to the shoot and can't answer it anyway). It makes me feel like they think I'm flakey and unreliable and I feel insulted. But having said that I understand many models are flakey and unreliable and on the last few shoots I send a text when I leave home and if I wake them because I usually have a lot of travel time- too bad!

Jan 25 14 04:16 pm Link

Model

Jetska

San Antonio, Texas, US

I agree agree agree! Well said. Also my peeve is when I clearly say I'm over it (nudes) and been there done that, don't even ask, photographers still feel they can persuade or even trick me. Last four photographers I met with for design consulting did just that. I could scream at this point.

Jan 25 14 04:17 pm Link

Model

LeePatrick

Houston, Texas, US

Lol. *****PHOTOGRAPHERS****** if you want to hire me, I promise I will not make a thread talking smack on you.

/thread.

Edit: lmao notice the change of attitude in models after I posted this. Sociological economics not once. TIL.

Jan 25 14 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Apparently you do not understand TFP: To Feed Post. Gotta feed the poor model after the shoot.

smile

Jan 25 14 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

yep,
I just hate it when a photographer or a model put him or herself in situations they hardly can handle on the spot in a proper and civilized way,  then rant about it....

The rest ? There are ass hats in every trade or hobby. Categories do not exclude stupid asses and others....

Jan 25 14 04:49 pm Link