Forums > Model Colloquy > Annoying things that photographers do

Model

Blackfirestorm

Heywood, England, United Kingdom

What has annoyed me quite a lot is when a photographer comes to you offering the work, asks for a price AND agrees then fails to set a date. What is with that?

Apr 15 12 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Of course we don't set a date. This is not a dating site. Duh.

Apr 15 12 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

D S P

Portland, Oregon, US

I know what I do that pisses some models off:

Tell the model what the actual budget is for the project. It's never $125/hr.

Tell new models that I don't offer paid gigs without a test shoot first.

I get blocked for suck activity. However, other models have no problem with that and they work with me every two weeks and get paid.

To each their own!

Apr 15 12 05:14 pm Link

Model

Blackfirestorm

Heywood, England, United Kingdom

PTPhotoUT wrote:

I mean setting a date and time for the shoot to take place hmm

Apr 15 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

They come into model's threads and bitch about what models do, in their forum.

Assholes!

Apr 15 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

D S P

Portland, Oregon, US

Mnemosyne Photography wrote:
Assholes!

Oh my goodness!

Apr 15 12 05:27 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Los Angeles, California, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:

whoosh.

Apr 16 12 07:26 am Link

Model

Ireen

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Saying things like you have big boobs or taking comments too far.

Getting too "excited"

Comparing you to other models they have worked with in a negative way such as saying something like your hair looks great but that last model she didn't look to good.

Expecting you to get nude when there was an agreement to not do any nudity beforehand.

Apr 16 12 02:08 pm Link

Model

Ireen

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:
How about when photographers get butthurt and block you because you wont shoot with them "right away" and shot with other people first because they are not 1st priority and they have a HUGE ego.

+1

Apr 16 12 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'm not a control freak as a photographer (take it with a grain of salt), and usually prefer to not giving any instructions whatsoever if at all, and just watch and shoot in "semi-candid" style on the spot (usually TFP).

I found that this method, being really uncomfortable for some models, can produce the absolutely stunning genuine poses and face expressions which models never ever had in their ports, for better or for worse, for some smile

don't check it in my port, though. I should add that I shoot much more street candids than fashion or life style

Apr 16 12 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Los Angeles, California, US

Eurocat wrote:
I go first:

It is a pet peeve of mine, when the photographer keeps wanting to feed me, (upon a wrapped set, before I get ready to leave), although I repeatedly said "No, thank you."  "I am ocd about my diet." " I appreciate the effort, but I am good." "I don't eat this or that, but thank you." "I am really not hungry."

I understand that in most it's not just about the hospitality thing, and good manners, but a little father complex. "Must feed starving child."

I can only remember two instances where I fed a model. This one time at band camp, I'm just kidding.

This one time, the model got hungry in the middle of the shoot.  Her demeanor became very impatient and kind of irritated at things.  I noticed that immediately.  Some people get upset when their stomach is empty.  It's a chemical reaction for sure.  I stopped the shoot and bought her a small burger and some OJ.  After about 1/2 hour with a semi-full stomach, she was really happy.  We continued the shoot and pictures came out great.  If I hadn't bought that burger, I don't know what would've happened.

This other time, I fed the model $30 New York steak because we got along very well, and I wanted to date her, haha.  That's the honest truth.

Apr 16 12 07:20 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

James Sioux wrote:
I  Some people get upset when their stomach is empty.  It's a chemical reaction for sure.  I stopped the shoot and bought her a small burger and some OJ.  After about 1/2 hour with a semi-full stomach, she was really happy.  We continued the shoot and pictures came out great.  If I hadn't bought that burger, I don't know what would've happened.

She propably would have turned green and tore all her clothes off.

I do that when there's no chocolate in the house, and the kittens are busy....

https://www.trulygraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/hungry-cat.jpg

Apr 17 12 10:15 am Link

Model

Laura A Shodire

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Being called pet names! Ah, nothing can make your skin crawl when you're called names reserved alone for boyfriend status. 'Honey', 'Baby', 'Sweetie'! Sigh.

Or when he is an older man and treats you like a little girl, especially during lingerie/nude shoots,it's just weird.

Other little things like 'Show me your butt taco' is pretty bad,
just please don't refer to any of my body parts with crude slang or rude adjectives.

Ah, and when they try to help you dress/undress without warning of purpose, or reach out and grab your intimate things before you can place them nicely somewhere after you remove them, just something about a stranger pawing your freshly warmed under things without even the thought that it might be weird sad

The biggest thing though....out of everything else, is when they put you in dangerous situations, or have you do something ridiculous in heels-that causes you injury, and they don't even care, they just hold the camera and wait for you to keep posing.

All of these are very rare cases though, I love my photographers, and it's rare to have just one time shoots, I prefer forming solid creative working relationships for years

Apr 17 12 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Olivier Borgognon

La Chaux-de-Fonds, Neuchâtel, Switzerland

As a new member on MM forums and building my studio workü/port (mainly a wedding & event photographer), I just wanted to thank you for such an interesting thread.

what I pull out of this as a summary is quite a lot of common sense and most goes with communication... :

1)Plan ahead but not too far ahead
2)A couple of emails, a call is good. too many emails and calls kill emails and calls
3)Don't change the plans at last minute

4)Don't push limits, define them with model and stick to them

5)Be respectful to all your models
6)Don't be over-friendly (even if you're stressed and that's your reliever)
7)Beware of what could be considered as flirtious or too personal
8)Be communicative on how the shoot is going
9)Don't be technically focused... it's about humans with feelings and we all have our issues
10)Don't rant about other photographers or models
11)Don't be pushy about them eating or having something, even if its courtesy accept that they can kindly turn it down
12)Don't touch models (unless clearly asking as global and on specific ideas)
13)Deliver timely and if there is an issue communicate about it
14) During shoot, be timely... don't go overboard
15) don't beg that model puts your images on her portfolio...
16) discomfort comes from discomfort... if we're shooting nude as adults, don't make a big thing of it, just get to work.
17) clothing wise, don't ask for millions of things, try to be as specific as can be during planning
18) don't use the words shoot, capture, baby, darling, sexy all over... it's lame smile
19) photographers : take your time to play with angles, and do other shoots whilst model is in place. don't just click once, ok, done.
I would add another few points, positive ones though
a) Make sure model feels comfortable (bring music or ask what music she could bring)

b) Thank model for her time and work after the shoot and do it again when delivering images

I think there must be more but as a first summary i believe it's a good start.

Apr 17 12 03:59 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

^^^^

Yup yup.

You can 'beg' me all you want, just don't bully me...

Also, I like that you declared the stuff above 'common sense'.

*puts on her poshest London accent*

But why is it called common when in truth it is quite rare!

Apr 17 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Olivier Borgognon

Eurocat : I believe we are all students of life, and teachers in life at the same time.

everything we are talking about here is 99.9% communication, and we're in a world where communication is all over the place, without really being there. We use GPS instead of asking our way, we tweet to our friend at the end of the table, we FB send a b'day wish instead of giving a 30seconds phone call which will trill 1 million times more...

as per common sense, we are all human, and all have our education, environment, feelings, limits... and I believe it's all about talking it through, shortly, and if some act in a certain way, it's also partially because we let them do it sometimes, without being blunt we can just show how it would be so much better if it didn't happen smile

Fact : All the situations in this thread have happened to 1 or many models/photographers

Issue : It's not putting anyone in a good working environment to have fun and work well (work and fun does go together yes yes it's possible big_smile)

Solving it : Say something directly to the person, face to face... now that's communication... and it rarely happens.

Let's be sincere and true to ourselves, have we, photographers or you models, ever dared to kindly tell the other party that they felt uncomfortable with all this up front ? I believe most of us don't dare say it to people, but we rant about it on forums (here it's not ranting, it's sharing information).

Common sense it is, but if nobody ever tells people, how can we really improve ? i think it's as simple as :

I really thank you for the food offer, it's really kind of you, but without wanting to offend you, I have my food habits. I'd be very happy with a huge glass of water though, it's worth all the food you could offer.

or

Please, I feel uncomfortable with you touching me or moving me around as you do, and it will show on photos. Please just ask me what you want from me on the shoot, i'll be happy to try, and if it doesn't work then we can work together on getting it right. Ii've been working on my modelling skills for a while and i'm sure I can do it, as I trust you can take photos and don't ask for your exposure settings or come and touch you during the shoot.

Apr 18 12 03:19 am Link

Model

Kember Kane

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Miss Rachel Elizabeth wrote:
I love anyone who brings food to a shoot, i always bring my own aswell though. I eat alot lol ^_^

but yea i had a tog ring me constantly on the morning making sure i wasnt gonna flake. Was pretty annoying o_0

Same with texting me to death!! I'm trying to DRIVE!!!

* Hey, maybe some of the "flaky models" were crushed in car accidents trying to answer calls & texts of togs . . .

Apr 18 12 05:11 pm Link

Model

Kember Kane

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

MadMoon Studio wrote:
"fauxtographers"

Priceless!

Apr 18 12 05:14 pm Link

Model

SammiAmazon

Saginaw, Michigan, US

PHOTOS BY DILLEN wrote:

become a nun ...then nobody will care,,,, damn those photographers for trying to be friendly

hahahaa love it

Apr 18 12 05:22 pm Link

Model

SammiAmazon

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Eurocat wrote:
This is a thread derived from the 'annoying things models do' bit in the 'other' forum.

This is about model's pet peeves, not horror storries about rape and molestation.

I go first:

It is a pet peeve of mine, when the photographer keeps wanting to feed me, (upon a wrapped set, before I get ready to leave), although I repeatedly said "No, thank you."  "I am ocd about my diet." " I appreciate the effort, but I am good." "I don't eat this or that, but thank you." "I am really not hungry."

I understand that in most it's not just about the hospitality thing, and good manners, but a little father complex. "Must feed starving child."

Really, you are sweet, but please don't make me explain my whole issue about why I don't eat certain things, we'll be there for another hour.

Edit: I'd love a glass of water, all the time, every time. Please and thank you.

That must have been your first time shooting with this person or else he would know your eating habits.

Apr 18 12 05:23 pm Link

Model

Dawn-Marie94

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

If I have a boyfriend.

Apr 18 12 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

D S P wrote:
I get blocked for suck activity.

What's that mean? You shouldn't be doin that.

Interesting to hear the models perspectives. It would appear that I'm not annoying wink

Apr 18 12 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dan OMell wrote:
I'm not a control freak as a photographer (take it with a grain of salt), and usually prefer to not giving any instructions whatsoever if at all, and just watch and shoot in "semi-candid" style on the spot (usually TFP).

Interesting because I'm the opposite. I'm a control freak and am constantly directing the model whoever the model is. But I don't think I'm obnoxious about it.

... oh wait... I thought of something annoying I do. I sweat a lot when I'm taking pictures. But dang, it's kinda a lot of work and I get excited. In fact, if you're a model and I'm not sweating then it's probably not going well wink

Apr 18 12 06:50 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

SamanthaLynn92 wrote:
That must have been your first time shooting with this person or else he would know your eating habits.

I would not expect anyone to learn my eating habits, first shoot or 20th, but when I say NO, THANK YOU the first three times, please leave it alone already.

You can politley offer stuff, but only so many times before it becomes stalling or whatever you wanna call it.

Apr 18 12 08:54 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:

Some photographers set up a travel shoot with me, cancel, and then never ever reschedule. *cries*

Apr 18 12 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

NounStudio

Sarasota, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:
... oh wait... I thought of something annoying I do. I sweat a lot when I'm taking pictures. But dang, it's kinda a lot of work and I get excited. In fact, if you're a model and I'm not sweating then it's probably not going well wink

i do as well.  i can never figure it out as i can do much more strenuous stuff and not break a sweat, but put a model in front of me and a camera in my hand, and i need to wear a headband like carmello anthony.

Apr 18 12 09:12 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

NounStudio wrote:
i do as well.  i can never figure it out as i can do much more strenuous stuff and not break a sweat, but put a model in front of me and a camera in my hand, and i need to wear a headband like carmello anthony.

I have seen a lot of photogs break a sweat (thinking to myself that I should be the one sweating), but that doesn't bother me, as long as you won't get any of it on the lense!!!

Apr 19 12 08:59 am Link

Model

Jessie Michele

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I have minimal experience and don't consider myself a model, but I encountered the same issue with the only two photographers I've so far worked with. Both were quiet and shy and rather awkward. I was not able to relax. Neither of them offered much advice on posing or gave advice/ideas on anything at all, for that matter. They wanted me (the noob) to be the creative one. Both shoots turned out badly. I would never expect a great outcome from the first few times, but I just would have thought the photographers would've been able to help me out (advice & tips) just a little bit. Is that an unrealistic expectation?

Apr 20 12 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Olivier Borgognon

Jessie Michele wrote:
I have minimal experience and don't consider myself a model, but I encountered the same issue with the only two photographers I've so far worked with. Both were quiet and shy and rather awkward. I was not able to relax. Neither of them offered much advice on posing or gave advice/ideas on anything at all, for that matter. They wanted me (the noob) to be the creative one. Both shoots turned out badly. I would never expect a great outcome from the first few times, but I just would have thought the photographers would've been able to help me out (advice & tips) just a little bit. Is that an unrealistic expectation?

I think this is totally realistic, and I believe it's about expectations as you say. IMHO, it should be a bit of both when both have little experience or some experience. Sharing ideas with other photos, poses found, going for trial and error maybe, showing model images, trying again, and having fun.

Mutual encouragement is the key i think.

Apr 20 12 01:31 am Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Holy moly! Ten pages already...I guess we can be an annoying group! tongue

Apr 20 12 01:36 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

PhotographybyT wrote:
Holy moly! Ten pages already...I guess we can be an annoying group! tongue

AWWWWW. We love you, really. We just don't admit to it...

Apr 20 12 01:13 pm Link

Model

Scarlett November

Seattle, Washington, US

Eurocat wrote:

She propably would have turned green and tore all her clothes off.

I do that when there's no chocolate in the house, and the kittens are busy....

https://www.trulygraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/hungry-cat.jpg

*In best robot voice, a la the tall creepy boss in Grandmas Boy* Please - sit on my face!

Apr 20 12 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Eurocat wrote:

AWWWWW. We love you, really. We just don't admit to it...

That's so annoying! tongue

Apr 20 12 02:24 pm Link

Model

Amethyst Star

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Photographers that insist in order to be "serious" I need to pose naked and spread eagle.

Photographers who tell me that they'll shoot me if i do....sexual...things for them (this happened once)

Designers who take a million years to give you measurement dates.

Photographers who don't understand what "implied" means

Apr 23 12 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

I'm wondering how many of you are working with FAUXtographers and not PHOtographers. 

For those of you that get upset about having to "bring everything," try this...  Photograph everything you have.  Make a free website (dime a dozen).  Post it all up there.  Then tell the photographer to choose.  Problem solved.

What bothers me is fauxtographers out there calling themselves photographers.  Giving professionals like myself a bad name.  You'll reply with "everyone calls themselves a professional photographer," to which I'll reply with facebook.com/arkitography  (because I'm not patient enough to explain everything I do).

I don't think the problem with this industry is pet peeves or poor behavior on the photographer's behalf (symptom), but that it's actually been diluted with so many fauxtographers that don't know any better.  The ethics/morals of photography has been polluted by ignorance and laziness.

It just is what it is.  Be a secretary and you'll have a different list just as long of pet peeves, etc...

Apr 23 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Scarlett Renee wrote:
Touching me. Oh my god the touching. I hate it so much. But, I make it very clear I will kick the photogs ass on my profile so I don't have problems with this anymore. Plus when people meet me I think they tend to realize I really mean some butt kicking shiz here. big_smile

Asking me to shoot nudes. Glamour does not equal nudes, peeps!

BAD BREATH - who said it? It sucks.

Photographers who don't like to show shots on the camera now and then.

Maybe they don't show you pictures because they're afraid they might accidentally bump you and get attacked.  I always ask before touching, but I like a relaxed, friendly shooting process, not one with threats and fear.

Apr 23 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

David Kilper wrote:
I'm wondering how many of you are working with FAUXtographers and not PHOtographers. 

For those of you that get upset about having to "bring everything," try this...  Photograph everything you have.  Make a free website (dime a dozen).  Post it all up there.  Then tell the photographer to choose.  Problem solved.

What bothers me is fauxtographers out there calling themselves photographers.  Giving professionals like myself a bad name.  You'll reply with "everyone calls themselves a professional photographer," to which I'll reply with facebook.com/arkitography  (because I'm not patient enough to explain everything I do).

I don't think the problem with this industry is pet peeves or poor behavior on the photographer's behalf (symptom), but that it's actually been diluted with so many fauxtographers that don't know any better.  The ethics/morals of photography has been polluted by ignorance and laziness.

It just is what it is.  Be a secretary and you'll have a different list just as long of pet peeves, etc...

I get frustrated with "professional photographers" who act like the worst problem aren't "real industry photographers" who take advantage of 15 year old girls by holding the idea of a Vogue cover in front of them, rather than amateurs who might pay someone to pose for bad glamour shots.

Apr 23 12 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Laura A Shodire wrote:
'Show me your butt taco' is pretty bad

Lmao BUTT TACO? I have never heard that before haha

Apr 23 12 08:12 pm Link

Model

M E L U X I N E

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Photographers who constantly whinge about new models but then refuse to pay for professional and experienced ones.

And fauxtographers who charge next to nothing for a full blown photo shoot and undercut all the excellent professional photographers.

In both cases, you get what you pay (or don't pay) for.

There, I bet you all hate me now wink

Apr 23 12 08:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aaliyah Oke

London, England, United Kingdom

I think someone should start a "annoying things MUA do" thread...

Yes I agree , I think that photographers should send out all images to the creatives and talents involved before posting it up on social networking sites ...Makes you feel abit un valued.  sad

Apr 24 12 05:10 am Link