Forums > Contests > Model Mayhem Banner Contest Winner!

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

orias wrote:
yeah rigged competitions fronting as a site pride parade with a theoretical selection process where members actually had their feedback heard is totally kindergarten.

I voted for my favorites. Those two banners got the most votes.

But as the professor and his lady have already alleged, I can't be trusted since I am part of a great conspiracy to deceive the membership. tongue

May 08 12 01:28 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Professor Oni wrote:

According to this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st16833794

The Judges are "MM Staff."  Who is this if not Mods and Admins? 

Considering the considerable negative reaction to their choice, perhaps the "Judges" might want to identify themselves and take some accountability.

the mayhem machine doesn't appreciate your sense making crusade.

don't point out info published in the competition thread to validate your logical standpoint

May 08 12 01:31 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:
I voted for my favorites just like every other member. Those two banners got the most member votes.

But as the professor and his lady have already alleged, I can't be trusted since I am part of a great conspiracy to deceive the membership. tongue

oh interesting because the competition says

MM staff (“Judges”) will select a winning banner entry, on the basis of creativity, originality, aesthetic appeal, continuity with current site banner, and clarity (“Judging Criteria”)

and that they reserve the right to not choose one of the applicants if they don't feel any suit them

so by that the members have no control and the voting was a fun way to get people to feel involved without actually giving them any opportunity to change things.

also i don't know if you noticed it but the criteria they claimed they'd judge and choose by does not validate their winning choice besides the continuity of being hte exact same thing again lol

May 08 12 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:

I voted for my favorites just like every other member. Those two banners got the most member votes.

Please point out in the text below from the official rules where it indicates that member votes were even allowed, let alone counted.

5. Selection of Contest Winner: MM staff (“Judges”) will select a winning banner entry, on the basis of creativity, originality, aesthetic appeal, continuity with current site banner, and clarity (“Judging Criteria”). Sponsor is seeking a design with the MM logo on the left and visual interest oriented on the right. Entries must bear the circled R (®) trademark symbol with the MM logo. Sponsor grants participant a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free license to use the trademarks, trade names, designs and logos of Sponsor solely in connection with the Contest. When the Contest Period ends, such license ceases. The MM logo must be the only text in the design. The winner will be selected by the Judges from all eligible entries received. The winner will be notified by email. Decisions of the Judges and Sponsor on all matters relating to the Contest are final. The Judges reserve the right to not pick a winner. Odds of the Contest will depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period. The Contest winner hereby assigns, transfers, and delivers to Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees, and assigns, all its right, title, and interest in the winning design.

May 08 12 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Skydancer Photos wrote:

Professor Oni wrote:
Please point out in the text below from the official rules where it indicates that member votes were even allowed, let alone counted.

Seriously?

May 08 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:

Seriously? Did you not see the voting? It was open and went on for weeks.

I did, but I also see the official rules.  How do you explain the disparity between your assertion that the "voting" was actually included in the selection and the text above that says the MM Staff will select? 

Do you have any documentation that this occurred, or are you just assuming that since you voted, it matters?

May 08 12 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Professor Oni wrote:
I did, but I also see the official rules.  How do you explain the disparity between your assertion that the "voting" was actually included in the selection?  Do you have any documentation that this occurred, or are you just assuming that since you voted, it matters?

I looked at the voting page on the day it closed.

May 08 12 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:

LOL!

I looked at the voting page on the day it closed. The two banners announced in this thread were in fact the two with the most member votes.

Got a link?

May 08 12 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Don't believe anything I say. The professor and his lady have undeniable proof that I am part of a vast conspiracy. The truth is... the new banner was commissioned and designed in secret.
lol

ETA...

Professor Oni wrote:
Got a link?

No I didn't save it. But as you and your lady allege, I'm lying to you anyway, right? wink

May 08 12 01:50 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:
Don't believe anything I say. The professor and his lady have undeniable proof that I am part of a vast conspiracy. The truth is... the new banner was commissioned and designed in secret and the entire voting process was a hoax.

lol

so no proof then?  cause it seems brian right here said the judges had 2 favorites.  and the judges picked the winner based on their criteria.... nothing was said about the members opinions at all, but i suppose you know better than brian when it comes to site stuff? lol

Brian Diaz wrote:
We have a winner! The judges sorted through hundreds of submissions, got into many arguments, and got into even more arguments.

In the end, however, the contest boiled down to two favorites.

Based on the criteria of “creativity, originality, aesthetic appeal, continuity with current site banner, and clarity”, the judges picked this banner as the winner....

May 08 12 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

sorry, not impressed. too close to the previous banner.

May 08 12 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Back on topic. I voted for the runner up. But I have to admit, MichaelO/Mosh's version has grown on me a lot since seeing it live.

Anyone notice how Mosh is giving the upside down hand signal for "MM"... well, almost. smile

May 08 12 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:
Don't believe anything I say. The professor and his lady have undeniable proof that I am part of a vast conspiracy. The truth is... the new banner was commissioned and designed in secret and the entire voting process was a hoax.

lol

ETA...

No I didn't save it. But as you and your lady allege, I'm lying to you anyway, right? wink

I never said you were lying, I said that your account directly conflicts with Brian's who is the OP of the thread announcing who won and how they were selected.

I'm inclined to lean on his account over yours.  No conspiracy, just pointing out that your argument is not supported.

May 08 12 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:
Back on topic. I voted for the runner up. But I have to admit, MichaelO/Mosh's version has grown on me a lot since seeing it live.

Anyone notice how Mosh is giving the upside down hand signal for "MM"... well, almost. smile

Hand me one of those straws you're reaching for, I need more Flavor Aid.

May 08 12 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Professor Oni wrote:
I never said you were lying, I said that your account directly conflicts with Brian's who is the OP of the thread announcing who won and how they were selected.

I'm inclined to lean on his account over yours.  No conspiracy, just pointing out that your argument is not supported.

I remember that those two banners got the most votes. I don't remember which had more, but I recall there were not many votes separating them. I assume that Admins and the IB staff made their final judgment and decision based on the criteria already mentioned.

May 08 12 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Moderator Warning!

Professor Oni wrote:
According to this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st16833794

The Judges are "MM Staff."  Who is this if not Mods and Admins? 

Considering the considerable negative reaction to their choice, perhaps the "Judges" might want to identify themselves and take some accountability.

Admins and IB staff made the final decision.  The moderators and membership as a whole offered their opinions, but they did not make the final decision.

We won't tolerate further hijacking of this thread with conspiracy theories.

May 08 12 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Admins and IB staff made the final decision.  The moderators and membership as a whole offered their opinions, but they did not make the final decision.

Wait..I am a VIP member..where did i get a chance to vote? Maybe i am missing something?  But......I do like the new Banner....but as I am seeing other people yap about this...Maybe we ALL could of voted and maybe have 12 banners placed up each month...??????

May 08 12 02:15 pm Link

Retoucher

mr_psycho2000

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

KATHY   JEAN wrote:
Congrats.

I agree it does look more like a dj/music banner but i still like the image. the 2nd choice with the eyes also looks stunning but again it could very well come across as a website banner for eye surgery/eye test. Very judge mental for me to voice my opinion when i never took part in this but i felt i would of needed to start from scratch useing a model and background to create the banner rather than rehashing old stuff. At the end of the day the image looks good and we all know its modelmayhem so we can all live with the new banner change. gz to winner and all who took part.

May 08 12 02:16 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
Yeah..... ummm...... no.

Good photographer, good model, good shot...... but horrible choice for this website, it makes one wonder what the hell you guys were thinking?  This just makes no sense.

Headphones?

Agree 100%, I don't get the headphones. Anyone could've been plugged into the couch spot if that's all they were looking to change...

May 08 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

bm toronto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The font on the winning banner is (in my opinion) horrible and unprofessional. It looks like a distant cousin of Comic Sans. Very cool image and overall vibe. But bad, bad font.

I'd love to see the font/logo work from the second version on this.

May 08 12 03:10 pm Link

Model

Ava Catherine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

That expression... it's freaking me out.

May 08 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

In the end this is The Mayhem and as such the banner makes perfect sense in it's lack of making sense.  A year from now it'll just be something we can look back on and joke about when some newbie pops up and says "what the hell's the deal with that banner?"

May 08 12 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

RA Richard Allen

Newark, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
We have a winner! The judges sorted through hundreds of submissions, got into many arguments, and got into even more arguments.

In the end, however, the contest boiled down to two favorites.

Based on the criteria of “creativity, originality, aesthetic appeal, continuity with current site banner, and clarity”, the judges picked this banner as the winner.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/images/Modelmayhem_head.jpg
MichaelO is the photographer/digital artist, and Mosh is the model. Congrats, MichaelO and Mosh! Together they win 5 years of free VIP membership.

Running a close second was this entry by digital artist Matthew Lane and model Yelena21. (Image by photographer KARELEA) Together they win 1 year of free VIP membership.

https://daydreamcreative.com/mm/banner1.jpg

Many thanks to all who participated and offered their visions as to what Model Mayhem will look like. We’re excited about the change.

May 08 12 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

RA Richard Allen

Newark, New York, US

MUCH prefer the old banner... Changing just for the sake of change never works.

May 08 12 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

romanotron

Santa Monica, California, US

Mosh certainly deserves it.

That being said, I think it's all a bit too dark, and too indie/alt looking.

May 08 12 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Allen Lane

Portland, Oregon, US

This is getting hilarious. I loves me a good conspiracy theory.

May 08 12 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

jahnhall

Brooklyn, New York, US

not impressed. disappointed, actually.

the image itself is fine.  it just didn't warrant a contest with all that buzz simply because it's essentially the same thing.

with that, i'll stfu because i don't pay a dime to use the site & despite my preference for something different, i still get a ton out of using it.

May 08 12 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

MHC Photographer

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

Hmm… could do better!
Greenish-punkish tint, headphone add, trying out sound system on a couch, up-the-nostrils shot, not very flattering.
Overall, a ghoulish horror movie impression…

May 08 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

NWPHOTOVIDEO

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Well done!!! It's so funny how the losers are so critical and instead of
Congradulating the winner, all of them are bitter and rude and narcissistic. You all are adults now. ACT LIKE IT! Congrats to the winner!

May 08 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

Wrong thread sorry.

May 08 12 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Rosebeck

Albany, New York, US

orias wrote:

awesome so let cut and dye my hair a retro trendy platinum bob, get stoned and have an orgasm simultaneously so we can get shots on a 3 cushioned back couch and win next years competition for site banner.  of course we'd have to get one random prop to place on my head and then become friends with the moderation staff first so they can wait patiently for our submission and pretend to go through a selection process before finally concluding our revolutionary new art is symbolic of this sites mission lol

funny shit, this is a clicky
place, your in or your out

May 08 12 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Anxiety photography

New Boston, Michigan, US

Love it!

May 08 12 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

orias wrote:

oh interesting because the competition says

MM staff (“Judges”) will select a winning banner entry, on the basis of creativity, originality, aesthetic appeal, continuity with current site banner, and clarity (“Judging Criteria”)

and that they reserve the right to not choose one of the applicants if they don't feel any suit them

so by that the members have no control and the voting was a fun way to get people to feel involved without actually giving them any opportunity to change things.

also i don't know if you noticed it but the criteria they claimed they'd judge and choose by does not validate their winning choice besides the continuity of being hte exact same thing again lol

so using the same basic theme is original?????

May 08 12 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

Anxiety photography wrote:
Love it!

love what??

May 08 12 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

Photos by Nathan W wrote:
Well done!!! It's so funny how the losers are so critical and instead of
Congradulating the winner, all of them are bitter and rude and narcissistic. You all are adults now. ACT LIKE IT! Congrats to the winner!

well done!? its the former banner redux!! how is that original???

May 08 12 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

RA Richard Allen wrote:
MUCH prefer the old banner... Changing just for the sake of change never works.

dont like either one.

May 08 12 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
In the end this is The Mayhem and as such the banner makes perfect sense in it's lack of making sense.  A year from now it'll just be something we can look back on and joke about when some newbie pops up and says "what the hell's the deal with that banner?"

it's a joke now, why wait till next year?

May 08 12 06:35 pm Link

Model

-Dollhouse-

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

where can i get some of these MM headphones?
and whatever drugs she's on i want some .

x

May 08 12 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

cool banner, though imho, it fits a music site more.

May 08 12 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

FotoMark

Oxnard, California, US

I think it needs caution tape and rail road tracks. wink

May 08 12 08:03 pm Link