Forums > Photography Talk > Friend has hired a "pro" photographer ...

Photographer

Davonroe

Brooklyn, New York, US

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
Already said I wasn't the greatest ... you know what ... fuck this. I'm out of here.

If you had concrete proof that this photographer consistently failed to deliver the photos in a timely manner, that's something to talk about.  Style is completely subjective.  I hope as you're leaving you understand why you were almost universally blasted.

Jul 26 12 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
Am I being overly critical? Is his work really as bad as I think it is and if it is as bad as I perceive it to be, should I say anything?

Question (1)
Yes

Question (2)
No

To be blunt your post reads to much as "Sour Grapes".
It goes into none of your business, file. So unless you wanted to donate your services, just enjoy the wedding. After the couple gets a divorce you can ask the x wife why not you.

Jul 26 12 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

for my  part i try not to volunteer opinions. if you know of current litigation involving the photographer then maybe. choosing a wedding photographer isn't just about the images, it's about having someone you feel comfortable with at your wedding.

all three weddings we've shot so far have been buffet-style and we grabbed some food after the guests had their first courses and it was obvious there was plenty to go around. i think two of the brides specifically mentioned it was ok for us to chow down and on the third one there was lots of food so we just went for it.

if it was an expensive sit-down meal kind of thing maybe they could just have a little something set aside for the photographer.

Jul 26 12 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Mer Soleil Photography wrote:
I would assume that your friend has looked at his work and rates and decided it was a good fit.

+1

Regardless of what you think of the work, unless your friend has ASKED for your opinion you will look like a jerk if you say anything negative.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jul 26 12 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
So my friend is getting married in like 2 weeks and called me yesterday to ask about food etiquette for photographers (should he provide a meal for the photographer or not ... so on so forth) so I answered his question and asked who he had hired ... I went to the guys website and I was underwhelmed.

I'm not sure if I should say anything about this ... I'm certainly not the best photographer in the world ...

http://flic.kr/p/cqc5h9
http://flic.kr/p/bBCp7Z

... but this guys photographic style is SOOOO dated.
His website ...

Am I being overly critical? Is his work really as bad as I think it is and if it is as bad as I perceive it to be, should I say anything?

Stay out of it. If you influence him into choosing another photographer and there's problem it's your fault, not his.

Jul 26 12 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

MC Photo wrote:

Stay out of it. If you influence him into choosing another photographer and there's problem it's your fault, not his.

I didn't get to see the photographer's work that you questioned. I think the most help you can give your friend is to tell him what is reasonable to give the photographer in food. This is the question they need help with. As you don't shoot friends' weddings you can relax. They have found someone that works for them. You may meet people at the wedding, who are not your friends and interested in your work, presuming you're invited.

Jul 26 12 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Most people only get married two or three times in their lives, so wedding pictures are semi-important memoirs for them and far too important for me to ever want to be responsible for their production. In other words, oh, hell to the no, I ain't shootin no GD weddings!! I don't want ragin hormone bridezillas or mother-in-laws breathing down my neck!! Those that do, good on ya!! You are much stronger than I am.

Jul 26 12 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

That sums it up, in 11 seconds of Disney cartoon.

On a different note, how dated will a clean, nice,  well composed shot be in 30 years, compared to modern "editorial", "photojournalistic", "softfocus" etc style? we just don't know...

Jul 26 12 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

MKPhoto wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

That sums it up, in 11 seconds of Disney cartoon.

On a different note, how dated will a clean, nice,  well composed shot be in 30 years, compared to modern "editorial", "photojournalistic", "softfocus" etc style? we just don't know...

I think this is a very valid point.  Some will want the images that are in fashion at the time and want that reflected in the images when they look back on them many years later.  It captures both the event and the time in which the event took place.  Others may opt for a more timeless approach.  I don't think either is more valid than the other...just a matter of taste.

Jul 26 12 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
So my friend is getting married in like 2 weeks and called me yesterday to ask about food etiquette for photographers (should he provide a meal for the photographer or not ... so on so forth) so I answered his question and asked who he had hired ... I went to the guys website and I was underwhelmed.

I'm not sure if I should say anything about this ... I'm certainly not the best photographer in the world ...

http://flic.kr/p/cqc5h9
http://flic.kr/p/bBCp7Z

... but this guys photographic style is SOOOO dated.
His website ...

Yes, you are. If your friend is happy enough to hire him, that means he is good enough for your friend. That also means your concern is not your friend's problem, It's yours.

Jul 26 12 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Food should be provided for the photographer and assistant

Jul 26 12 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Lee_Photography wrote:
Food should be provided for the photographer and assistant

If you think the food sucks, tell him

fixed it 4ya

( I do one wedding/year but I had to go see if it was me the OP was talking about)

Jul 26 12 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I think your post shows that you probably already knew the answer to your question before you asked it and you should have been able to handle this on your own.

... and yeah. I try to not say unkind things about other photographers as a rule; it just never helps anything. There's really just nothing to be gained for anyone by calling someone out like this.

Jul 26 12 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Assuming a contract has been signed, there's not much your friend can do about the decision. At best it would make your friend dissatisfied (or more dissatisfied) with the decision. At worst, it could be taken as your questioning/criticizing his (or his finacee's) judgment.

If asked, you could give your opinion, but I wouldn't dwell on it. Doing something that might cause your friend to feel a need to take sides between you and her might not work out so well.

Jul 26 12 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Camerosity wrote:
Assuming a contract has been signed, there's not much your friend can do about the decision. At best it would make your friend dissatisfied (or more dissatisfied) with the decision. At worst, it could be taken as your questioning/criticizing his judgment.

just imagine the trainwreck thread on here about finding a new photographer for a wedding in under two weeks time!  Imagine the legal threads.  Just imagine...

Jul 26 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

Run far far away from this one. Your friend made their decision and now they get to live with it. Also you really can't tell from online just how the prints will look or any other produced work. Its an overall feel and that's about all. The work I saw looked good enough to get the job done. Not fine art portraiture but definitely good enough.

If you feel that bad about it then ask the photographer if you can shoot some candid's at the reception just for grins and giggles. And offer your friend a bridal shoot for free.

There you go... Feeling better?

Jul 26 12 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

TaylorScott Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

I would have to say it is in your best interest to tell them:

as far a food for the photographer; is to have a place set up some where not to far away for the main table but not to close to it either.

She must like what she saw in his web site, in her opinion. Me I would not hire him.

Jul 26 12 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

George Ruge wrote:
Most people only get married two or three times in their lives, so wedding pictures are semi-important memoirs for them and far too important for me to ever want to be responsible for their production. In other words, oh, hell to the no, I ain't shootin no GD weddings!! I don't want ragin hormone bridezillas or mother-in-laws breathing down my neck!! Those that do, good on ya!! You are much stronger than I am.

I get asked to do weddings... I  tell them no... I stay away from weddings... friend of mine asked if I could shoot his daughters' wedding...  I gave him a list of wedding photographers...

Jul 26 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy Jackson TWJPro

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I personally like the timeless classic wedding photos. The samples you provided were crisp and clean. My wife and I did the same, no one told us about the style or mentioned anything poorly about it. Our photographer ended up being a scam and to this day we don't have any pics of our wedding, but nonetheless some people like simplicity.

And I am breaking the carnal rule here (spoiler alert) but I looked through your photos and didn't find anything that would have made you a better choice. It would have been an even swap.

Leave your friend alone, this is just another example of a photogs wanna be controlling nature.

Jul 26 12 07:56 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

The OP mentioned the photographer's work on his website appeared "dated".  Well, it looks like to me, from the various styles of the wedding gowns, that the photographer has been photographing weddings for many years and has a collection of images from the span of those years on his website.

Jul 26 12 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Augustine York wrote:
Unless you are planning to pay the bill for a photographer that you deem acceptable, then I'd keep your opinions to yourself.

I'm about a week and a half out from my wedding and if there's one thing that's pissing me off and stressing me out, it's everyone and their mother trying to give me their opinion on how things should be done, what I should change, what I should do, what I shouldn't do etc etc.

I'm betting your friend is in a similar boat with everyone around them trying to play wedding planner.

Leave it be.

If you will do the wedding in a see-through gown, I'll come down and shoot it for you. TF.

Jul 26 12 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

the lonely photographer wrote:

I get asked to do weddings... I  tell them no... I stay away from weddings... friend of mine asked if I could shoot his daughters' wedding...  I gave him a list of wedding photographers...

OP is a wedding photographer.  jus' sayin'

Jul 27 12 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Randy Henderson Images

Springfield, Missouri, US

"Making someone else look worse doesn't make you look better"

Alvin Henderson 1930-2009.

Love ya dad.

Jul 27 12 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Stickgunner

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
Love how aggressive this "community" is ...

You certainly can't insult those people who insulted you for thinking you insulted someone else, or they would run to a mod. 

No double standard though, just ask them.

Jul 27 12 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Oscar Partida

Palm Springs, California, US

i would abstain from bashing the guys work
most of his images are well exposed,and traditionally that is  most of what is required  for wedding and that type of photography

you said,his style is dated .....it might ,,but it can also be seen as classic for wedding photography instead of getting trendy looking images that will fade in style sooner
JMHO

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oscar-Par … 5282818143

Jul 27 12 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

OP is a wedding photographer.  jus' sayin'

ya  i avoid shooting  for friends   especially weddings...

Jul 27 12 10:06 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

its really not any of your business in my opinion

Jul 27 12 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

Most weddings I've worked I have been offered both food and drink.  If the photographer wants it than he/she should simply request it.  Especially if you're talking about an all day event.

As far as your opinion about the other photographer's ability...I'd keep that to myself.  That is their decision to make.

If you're invited, go, be happy, and make their day that much more special by simply supporting them as a good friend.  Not a photographer.

Jul 27 12 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Martin St James

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

the lonely photographer wrote:
ya  i avoid shooting  for friends   especially weddings...

Good advice I wish I could heed.
Word of mouth gets around and before you know if you are shooting for friends of friends and then their friends....

All money at the end of the day.

Wedding photographers are amongst the most critical of other photographers work.
Much like actors with the "I could have done that better".

I don't rate my wedding work very highly but the people I shoot for love it.
The fact that my style and budget fits their criteria is most important, and that is likely what happened with the OP's "friend".

I don't always expect a meal at weddings, and take my own food/snacks just in case and then can be pleasantly surprised when they look after me.

When the couple are doing it tough, another $40-$80 matters.

Jul 28 12 05:08 am Link

Photographer

KFM Designs

Augusta, Missouri, US

I would leave  it alone.

Either you were:
Too expensive
They did not like your work
Not a good fit
The did not want to ruin a friendship

And so on.

Answer the advise they ask for and let it be.

Good luck.

Jul 28 12 08:04 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The two examples listed as "dated" could also be considered "classic".  Perhaps they want images that won't look dated in 10-100 years?  I know I have images all the way back to my grandparents wedding (during the early days of photography and the start of the 20th century).

Normally people take unsolicited advice like this poorly, and coming from another wedding photographer sour grapes.

Jul 28 12 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

Brian T Rickey wrote:
Never mind.

*leaves room*

Wait for me!!!!

Jul 28 12 08:25 am Link